Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,823 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You (1684 Views)

5 Ways Pre-marital Sex Will Destroy You / Always Thinking Of Sex, Sport Bet Among Others, How Do I Stay Focused In Church / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Give Your Dreams Positive Interpretations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by ppanther(m): 8:55pm On Nov 22, 2008
Have you come across positive thinking lately? It’s all over the place these days.
The airports are replete with positive thinking literature. It is a perennial buzz-word in
business and management circles. It has even crept into the Church and is widely preached
from the pulpits in various guises.

“Positive thinking” in this essay refers to the teaching that man controls his life and circumstances
by his words and thoughts. In other words, he is at the centre of his life and destiny and has himself to
blame or praise for his resultant failure or success. The positive thinking movement includes a lot of terms
such as subconscious mind, visualization, affirmation, psycho-cybernetics, self-help, motivation, etc.

The positive thinking movement is catchy. Its promise is everyone’s dream come true: the ability to actually
create the life you want for yourself. It assures you that you can have more money, more love and better
health by thinking right. However a closer look reveals deep flaws.

First, what is the basic premise of positive thinking? The basic premise is that you are in control of your life.
While this may sound comforting to a lazy thinker, a little deep thought reveals the fallacy in this premise.
For instance, how were you able to think yourself into being born? How were you able to think yourself into
being born into your particular nationality and family? How were you able to think yourself into your physical
structure and appearance? How were you able to think yourself into where you are right now?

Truth be told, experience shows that so much about our lives is completely out of our control. Man is plagued with
limitations. In fact the whole idea of religion arose as man realized this and tried to pacify the unseen forces that
seemed to be running the show. Indeed this phenomenon in man has led to this new religion of positive
thinking, where people hope to control their lives through various gimmicks. However, it is more mentally
satisfying –and productive- to admit our weakness and seek help.

However, admitting one’s weaknesses is an anathema in positive thinking. The positive thinker is taught to live in
constant denial of the so-called “negative” aspects of life. The other day, a friend who had not been feeling well
kept telling me that he was “strong”. Whenever he needs some cash from me, he prefaces it by telling me that
he is “very rich right now”. Apparently these are statements made in a bid to speak only positive words at
all times. But where is the line drawn between positive “confession” and outright lying?

This culture of denying “negative” experience has indeed been taken to bizarre extremes. I know of a family who bluntly
refused to take their son to hospital even as his health went from bad to worse. Their belief was that sickness was not
their portion and that they had already overcome. Sadly, the young man finally died.

I must make this point clear: I am not an advocate for pessimism. I do not say that we should go around with a gloomy
perspective of life. That is far from it. The message I mean to pass across is the need for people to face facts and not illusions.
It is childish to pretend that certain unsavoury circumstances do not exist all in an attempt to be “positive”. Life happens;
people get sick, people get broke. We have to wake up and deal with life as it is, not as we wished it were.

Another anomaly in this positive thinking is the value system it subtly promotes. This is not usually stated overtly but the
root idea behind the movement is plain greed. By admonishing you about the need to avoid “being average” or
“mediocrity”, it subtly breeds a culture of covetousness; the need to get more, to have more, to be more!

While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with wanting a better life, there is need to balance this with the teaching about
being able to enjoy the present. What ever happened to the virtues of contentment? Whatever happened to enjoying
the present, giving thanks to God for our daily bread? However, these sound so old school, especially in this age
where people are becoming millionaires before they reach puberty.

There is nothing wrong with being a taxi driver all your life if that is your calling in life. Your net worth is not
necessarily a measure of true success. Instances abound to show that you don’t have to be a money-bag to be
successful in life. I have seen tomato sellers who have been able to train their children to university level from the
proceeds of their trade. I have also seen drivers who have somehow used their meagre salaries to comfortably
take care of their families. Can’t such people be classified as successes despite their “mediocre” net worth?

I had earlier mentioned that positive thinking is now being preached in various churches. Today a lot of pseudo-Christian outfits
promise you that you can be all you want to be, achieve every goal. Everything is centred on how you can get everything you
want in your own way. Then we turn around and wonder why there are too many self-centred, egotistic Christians. It only follows
that if you are the centre of your own life, you are your own god, following your own plan whether or not it means trampling on
everybody in your path.

It is even more surprising that the pseudo-Christian outfits try to justify this positive thinking fad with random verses of the Bible. If only
people could read the Bible for themselves! Contrary to popular belief, the Bible is the simplest book in the world to understand, and
not some esoteric text. The problem most people have with the Bible is when they try to read in their own private interpretations
by quoting verses out of context.

The Harvard Business Review of February 2008 correctly traces the origins of positive thinking to “ideas from Eastern philosophies
mixed up with slogans that are completely incoherent.” Jesus Christ never taught positive thinking. We are not told in the Bible of any
time where Christ spent hours in affirmation and visualization, nor did he teach his followers about the subconscious mind and the
power of vision. So one wonders how some preachers now proclaim these metaphysical and magical teachings as Scriptural.

Jesus Christ taught dependence on God for our daily needs. That is a more practical way of living than positive thinking. To be sure, asking
for God’s help is not as exotic as affirmations, visualizations and the like. However, experience shows that it is a far more productive plan to
admit one’s inadequacies and count on God’s help.

To achieve any meaningful objective, one needs to be in the right place and at the right time. Some people refer to this as “luck’, others call
it “time and chance”. We would be honest to admit that we cannot consciously control our being in the right place at the right time. Read through people’s success stories and you would discover the recurring theme of their being presented with the right opportunity that led to achieving their goals. This serendipity always resulted from acts of God and not from their positive babbling.

Lastly, the apparent aims of positive thinking are indeed noble: to motivate people to be their best, to improve their finances, and to make them feel happy and healthy. There is nothing wrong with that. However, like the cliché goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

1 Like

Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by DavidDylan(m): 8:57pm On Nov 22, 2008
sadly no one will read this. they'll simply brand it the work of the "accuser of the brethren".
Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by mazaje(m): 9:42pm On Nov 22, 2008
What do you want people to do? religious thinking? The world is what it is now developed because of positive thinking. . . .Not because of jesus, mohammed, allah, shikvnah, ogun, mithra, ba'al, sango, akamagena and all the other gods out there. . . . if we were to go by their ways we would all have been living in a world like Afghanistan . . . .
Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by ppanther(m): 10:25pm On Nov 28, 2008
@DavidDylan

I'm honoured that you read it.

@mazaje

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:17am On Mar 07, 2009
@ppanther,

Thanks for the essay on the dangers of the so called "positive thinking". The Bible says the just shall live by faith. It is either we believe in the Word of God that says that God created man in His own Image or believe the words of men that says man created God in his own image. "Positive thinking" is one of the subtle lies that the serpent has used to divert attention away from God to man. There are extremes at both ends we must strive for the balance, and this can only be done as we worship the Father in the Spirit and Truth.

Keep it up. We need you to show your presence here in the religion section and even more often in the NL E-fellowhip thread. Remain blessed.
Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by damiso(f): 12:55pm On Mar 09, 2009
This one of the most refreshing posts i have read on this section.This postive thinking trend really has made alot of christains to be over ambtitious(being ambitious in itself is not bad thing),selfish,egoistical,needy,demanding,greedy,unnecessarily competitive i cannot even finish listing the attributes.I am in church sometimes and i know that my pastor is not speaking the word of God but his personal beliefs as he sometimes makes out anyone not succesful in financial terms an absolute failure,I feel success is not neccesarily measured by financial or material wealth,Mother Theresa was not rich but to me she is one of the greatest successes of our time.

May the Good Lord grant us all wisdom.
Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by PastorAIO: 1:49pm On Mar 09, 2009
Nice post!  Definitely a point that needs to be raised.  There is nothing wrong with Positive thinking per se, but rather expecting positive thinking to achieve all is the danger.

The Ideal would be Positive Thinking based on Truth.  ie.  Realising that all things come from God and being positive and confident in his promises is one thing.  Believing that wishful thinking can achieve anything is another matter entirely. 

The thing is that it is such a subtle matter.  All these self help books and preachers don't seem to be able to grasp the subtleties of it. 

For example, there is something called the placebo effect.  This is medically proven.  When you believe that you are taking strong medicine for an illness, then there is an improvement in your health even though the medicine is actually ineffective. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo
If you go to the doctor often enough complaining about this ill or that ill, 70 per cent of the time he will give you a placebo.  The thing is you'll never know because miraculously the illness goes away.  So surely we cannot dismiss the power of our thinking completely. 

I read a book called How To Get Rich by a guy called Felix Dennis.  His claim to uniqueness was the fact that of all such books ever written he is the only one who had actually done it.  ie.  Gotten Rich.  All those other books, the writers didn't have 2 pennies to rub together until they wrote the book and when it became a best seller that was how they became rich.  The Moral of this story is that if you want to get rich, don't read a book on how to get rich.  Rather write a book on how to get rich.

The only multimillionaire who's ever written such a book is Felix Dennis and guess what he has to say about the whole thing. 
It was Luck!
Plain and simple.  Serendipity!  He was in the Publishing business and he admits that he wasn't a particularly good publisher.  There are many publishers better than him, better networkers, better knowledge of the business etc.  Yet the poor sods just didn't seem to have any luck.  There is such a thing as an unlucky person and the world is full of them.  The world is full of failures who are failures in spite of the fact that they are the best at what they do. Whereas somebody else can take an apparently stupid business idea and make a mint out of it. 
Felix Dennis today owns Dennis Publications, his publishing company that make many of england's popular magazines, including computer magazines.
http://www.dennis.co.uk/dennis_site/

Just how did he get started.  In the early 70s as a poor guy with nothing to do he decided to write a book on a little known film actor from Hong Kong called Bruce Lee.  He went to Hong Kong and conducted many interviews and took many pictures until he had cartons load of material.  Just as he finished collecting his material and boarded his plane back to England Bruce Lee died in mysterious circumstances.  Enter the Dragon had just been released and Bruce Lee was shot into international fame and recognition, then he died.  Meanwhile Raymond Chow (a film producer and one of the most powerful men in Hong Kong) ordered that no information about Bruce Lee was to leave Hong Kong.  People who needed to be paid off were paid off. etc.  By this time Felix Dennis had boarded his plane and was out of Hong Kong. 

Imagine his luck.  He was the only authority on this guy Bruce Lee who died a nano second after he achieved international fame, the world was clamouring to know more about this guy and there was absolutely no information forthcoming from Hong Kong.  He wrote his book which he readily admits was a rubbish book, poorly written however it was the ONLY book.  Straight away it became an international best seller.

He then decides to go into publishing himself and start the first Kung Fu magazine.  He still had boxes upon boxes of material on bruce Lee,interviews and photos.  In fact that was all the material he had. He didn't know anything about martial arts.  Everyone laughed and said it was impossible to make a magazine that every edition will be about the same guy on the front cover.  His idea was that the magazine could be folded out and become a poster after it had been read.  He sold edition after edition and the magazine remained in publication for 7 years.  every issue about Bruce Lee.  I even remember reading them in my childhood, those magazines that you'd fold out and get a poster of bruce Lee. 

Now how lucky was that!  The guy did not even know anything about martial arts himself.  Not only was he in the right place at the right time but events conspired to make him the only available expert on the subject in the whole world when he didn't know a damn thing about it. 

There are definitely other factors that determines what happens to us in our lives besides our conscious thoughts, whether positive or negative. Yet we cannot completely dismiss the power of our thoughts.
Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by mnwankwo(m): 2:56pm On Mar 09, 2009
The poster raised several issues and although the post may appear simple, it is quite complex in the issues it raised. What are thoughts and where do they originate from? What is the difference between positive thinking and faith? Is man the master of his destiny or is his destiny determined by circumstances outside mans control? If man is the master of his destiny, are words and thoughts the only activities that shape his destiny or are their other activities of the spirit of man that contributes in shaping his fate? Does man have free will and how free is this free will? What are the spiritual dangers of positive or negative thinking and how do these dangers come about? Are our circustances like birth, nationality, sex, health etc an accident or predetermined? There are many more but I just raised these ones to show (atleast in my opinion) that the topic posted is not as simple as it may appear on the surface.
Re: How Positive Thinking Could Destroy You by oaroloye(m): 2:44am On Apr 15, 2017
SHALOM!

ppanther:
Have you come across positive thinking lately? It’s all over the place these days.
The airports are replete with positive thinking literature. It is a perennial buzz-word in
business and management circles. It has even crept into the Church and is widely preached
from the pulpits in various guises.

It would be polite for you to inform us what your own Religious Affiliation is.

I am a BORN AGAIN, FULL GOSPEL, PENTECOSTAL Christian.

HALF OF SO-CALLED CHRISTIANITY- THAT IS, ROMAN CATHOLICISM- REJECTS ALL OF THOSE BELIEFS.

It dies not matter to them that THE GOSPEL Teaches those experiences; they reject them without fear of consequences.

Many Protestant Churches DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE BORN AGAIN EXPERIENCE.

The so-called EVANGELICAL Churches, which profess Belief in the BORN AGAIN EXPERIENCE- based non a MISTRANSLATION of YAHSHUA'S Teaching on the subject- REJECT THE FULL GOSPEL.

They do not believe in FAITH.

They do not believe in CLAIMING PROMISES OF GOD.

Those Churches are all LIARS, so, if you come from any of those Churches, and you are not telling us, you are DELIBERATELY DECEIVING US!

“Positive thinking” in this essay refers to the teaching that man controls his life and circumstances
by his words and thoughts. In other words, he is at the centre of his life and destiny and has himself to
blame or praise for his resultant failure or success. The positive thinking movement includes a lot of terms
such as subconscious mind, visualization, affirmation, psycho-cybernetics, self-help, motivation, etc.

YAHSHUA TAUGHT ALL THIS, SOME 2,000 YEARS AGO.

OYINBO Churches PRETENDED that it was not in The Bible, for most of that time.

. MARK 11:20-26.

20 And in the morning,
as they passed by,
they saw the fig tree
dried up from the roots.
21. And Peter,
calling to remembrance
saith unto him,

“Master, behold,
the fig tree which thou cursedst
is withered away.”
22. And Jesus answering,
said unto them,
“Have Faith in God.
23. "For verily I say unto you,

'THAT WHOSOEVER SHALL SAY
UNTO THIS MOUNTAIN,

"BE THOU REMOVED,
AND BE THOU CAST INTO THE SEA;'

AND SHALL NOT
DOUBT IN HIS HEART,
BUT SHALL BELIEVE
THAT THOSE THINGS
WHICH HE SAITH
SHALL COME TO PASS;
HE SHALL HAVE
WHATSOEVER HE SAITH.'[/i
]

24. "Therefore I say unto you,

[i]'WHAT THINGS SOEVER YE DESIRE,
WHEN YE PRAY,
BELIEVE THAT YE RECEIVE (THEM),
AND YE SHALL HAVE (THEM).'

25. "And when ye stand praying,
forgive, if ye have aught against any,
that your Father also
which is in Heaven
may forgive you your trespasses.
26. "But if ye do not forgive,
neither will your Father
Which is in Heaven
forgive your trespasses.”

THE MODERN PIONEER OF THE FAITH DOCTRINE, KENNETH E. HAGIN SAID THAT WHEN HE BEGAN PREACHING MARK 11:23-24 IN AMERICA, THERE WERE CHURCHES THAT ACCUSED HIM OF INVENTING THE TEACHING!

That is, SUPPOSED CHRISTIANS did not only not BELIEVE those Words- but they did not even believe that they were in The Bible!

The positive thinking movement is catchy. Its promise is everyone’s dream come true: the ability to actually
create the life you want for yourself. It assures you that you can have more money, more love and better
health by thinking right. However a closer look reveals deep flaws.

The language you use shows that you are going to lie to us.

IF A PERSON THINKS POSITIVELY, HOW CAN THEY NOT SUCCEED IN MAKING DREAMS COME TRUE, CREATE THE LIFE ONE WANTS FOR ONESELF, HAVE MORE LOVE, AND MORE HEALTH?

Therefore, you secretly represent people trying to deprive Christians of better lives!

. JOHN 3:34-36.

34. "For he whom God hath sent
speaketh The Words of God:
for God giveth not the Spirit
by measure unto him.
35. "The Father loveth The Son,
and hath given All Things
into his hand.
36. "He that believeth on The Son
hath Everlasting Life:
and he that believeth not The Son
shall not see Life;
but The Wrath of God
abideth on him."

IF YOU WERE A TRUTHFUL PERSON, YOU WOULD BACK YOUR POINTS WITH THE WORD OF GOD.

But, instead, you feed us Oyinbo Theology designed to cripple PROTESTANT Churches only.

First, what is the basic premise of positive thinking? The basic premise is that you are in control of your life.
While this may sound comforting to a lazy thinker,

RIGHT- AND HERE WE GO- THE DISINFORMATION AND LYING BEGINS!

POSITIVE THINKING is NOT for the "LAZY THINKER."

If you are to positively control your life, you must SERIOUSLY-DISCIPLINE YOUR THOUGHTS as never before.

Poor Living Circumstances are caused by UNDISCIPLINED THINKING.

All POSITIVE-THINKING Teachers MUST agree on that score.

a little deep thought reveals the fallacy in this premise.
For instance, how were you able to think yourself into being born?

IF YOU FAILED BIOLOGY IN SCHOOL, YOU SHOULD GO BACK, AND GET AN EDUCATION.

Every Living Thing THINKS.

They ALL grow by THINKING.

You think that our bodies just magically take shape?

After we were conceived, WE CONTINUED OUR GROWTH PROCESS OURSELVES.

Who do you think is going to do it FOR us- MOM?

So, you are playing on our ignorance by referring to our Birth.

ONLY ONE "POSITIVE-THINKING SCHOOL" makes it its business to teach about our PRENATAL THOUGHTS that affect PHYSIOLOGICAL and PSYCHOLOGICAL Development in later life that I know of, and that is SCIENTOLOGY- of which I have Basic Operational Knowledge.

How were you able to think yourself into
being born into your particular nationality and family? How were you able to think yourself into your physical
structure and appearance? How were you able to think yourself into where you are right now?

Making a better life for oneself by POSITIVE-TNINKING has NOTHING to do with these questions.

This is BULLSHIT DECEPTION supposed to confuse and discourage us from thinking about POSITIVE-THINKING.

The answers to those questions are not relevant to the validity or use of POSITIVE-THINKING.

Truth be told, experience shows that so much about our lives is completely out of our control.

There is no part of our life that we cannot control, if we are willing to make the necessary effort to control it.

We cannot control ANY part of our lives, IF WE DO NOT MAKE THE EFFORT.

Is it not therefore logical that we could control more, if we increased our efforts?

Man is plagued with limitations. In fact the whole idea of religion arose as man realized this and tried to pacify the unseen forces that seemed to be running the show. Indeed this phenomenon in man has led to this new religion of positive
thinking, where people hope to control their lives through various gimmicks. However, it is more mentally
satisfying –and productive- to admit our weakness and seek help.

We now know that the author is an ATHEIST.

However, admitting one’s weaknesses is an anathema in positive thinking.

THIS WOULD DEPEBD ON THE POSITIVE-THINKING SCHOOL.

In SCIENTOLOGY, weakness is anathema, but totally embranced, with a view to eliminating them, and replacing them with strengths.For instance, if you have no head for Mathematics, say, and want to become a brilliant Mathematician, the Auditor will find out WHAT is the BLOCK preventing you from processing Mathematics.

THAT is how POSITIVE-THINKING is properly-applied.

The positive thinker is taught to live in constant denial of the so-called “negative” aspects of life.

This is a dishonest generalization of Positive-Thinking that gives NO REFERENCES whatsoever.

In SCIENTOLOGY, it is a REGULATION that SICK Scientologists LEAVE THEIR HEALING TO DOCTORS.

Many supposedly Full-Gospel Pentecostal Churches do deal in exaggerated forms of "Positive-Thinking," that are mistaken for Faith."

The other day, a friend who had not been feeling well
kept telling me that he was “strong”. Whenever he needs some cash from me, he prefaces it by telling me that
he is “very rich right now”. Apparently these are statements made in a bid to speak only positive words at
all times. But where is the line drawn between positive “confession” and outright lying?

No one knows more about FAITH HEALING than ME.

I was in the Movement when the Faith System began to be corrupted.

The FAITH CHARLATAN foes not tell their followers all the necessary conditions that have to be fulfilled to make Faith work.

This culture of denying “negative” experience has indeed been taken to bizarre extremes. I know of a family who bluntly refused to take their son to hospital even as his health went from bad to worse. Their belief was that sickness was not
their portion and that they had already overcome. Sadly, the young man finally died.

This is nothing new, and has happened throughout the modern Faith Healing Revival.

. JOHN 15:1-11.

"I AM The True Vine,
and my Father is The Husbandman.
2. "Every branch in me
that beareth not Fruit
He taketh away:
and every branch
that beareth Fruit,
He purgeth it,
that it may bring forth
more Fruit.
3. "Now ye are clean
through the Word
Which I have spoken unto you.
4. "Abide in me, and I in you.
As the branch cannot
bear fruit of itself,
except it abide in the vine;
no more can ye,
except ye abide in me.
5. "I am the Vine,
ye are the Branches:

'HE THAT ABIDETH IN ME
AND I IN HIM,
THE SAME BRINGETH FORTH
MUCH FRUIT:'

for without me ye can do Nothing.
6. "If a man abide not in me,
he is cast forth as a branch,
and is withered;
and men gather them,
and cast them into the Fire,
and they are burned.
7. "If ye abide in me,
and my Words abide in you,
ye shall ask what ye will,
and it shall be done unto you.
8. "Herein is my Father Glorified,

'THAT YE BEAR MUCH FRUIT.'

so shall ye be my Disciples.
9. "As The Father hath Loved me,
so have I Loved you:
continue ye in my Love.
10. "If ye keep my Commandments,
ye shall abide in my Love;
even as I have kept my Father's Commandments,
and abide in His Love.
11. "These things have I spoken unto you,
that my Joy might remain in you,
and that your joy might be full.."

CHRISTIAN FOOLS PROMOTE THEMSELVES INTO A POSITION OF GREAT OIMPORTANCE TO GOD- WHEREBY HE MUST ANSWER THEIR PRAYERS.

This status is PURELY IMAGINARY, and it is FORBIDDEN us to DO that.

The FOOLISH ignore YAHSHUA'S EXPLICIT WARNINGS- and sometimes pay with their lives- or someone else's!

I must make this point clear: I am not an advocate for pessimism. I do not say that we should go around with a gloomy perspective of life. That is far from it.

LIES.

That is EXACTLY what you are doing!

You are doing the same sort of silly make-believe you are accusing "POSITIVE-THINKERS" of.

The message I mean to pass across is the need for people to face facts and not illusions.
It is childish to pretend that certain unsavoury circumstances do not exist all in an attempt to be “positive”. Life happens;
people get sick, people get broke. We have to wake up and deal with life as it is, not as we wished it we
re.

How about YOU facing the FACT of GOD'S EXISTENCE?

How about you STOP CONFUSING you IMAGINARY VERSION OF GOD with the REAL GOD OF THE BIBLE- Who never claimed to be OMNIPRESENT, OMNIPOTENT, and OMNISCIENT, and therefore completely incomprehensible, because He can never be shown to use such attributes.

Another anomaly in this positive thinking is the value system it subtly promotes. This is not usually stated overtly but the root idea behind the movement is plain greed. By admonishing you about the need to avoid “being average” or
“mediocrity”, it subtly breeds a culture of covetousness; the need to get more, to have more, to be more!

Clearly you work for people who WANT the MAJORITY to be "AVERAGE, and MEDIOCRE.

While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with wanting a better life, there is need to balance this with the teaching about being able to enjoy the present. What ever happened to the virtues of contentment? Whatever happened to enjoying
the present, giving thanks to God for our daily bread? However, these sound so old school, especially in this age
where people are becoming millionaires before they reach puberty.

People who live in the Real World know that Inflation eats up their wages, and their Pensions can be embezzled.

They need security.

You, evidently live in some sort of Ivory Tower, where YOU can AFFORD to be COMPLACENT.

YOU care NOTHING about the POOR.

There is nothing wrong with being a taxi driver all your life if that is your calling in life. Your net worth is not
necessarily a measure of true success. Instances abound to show that you don’t have to be a money-bag to be
successful in life. I have seen tomato sellers who have been able to train their children to university level from the
proceeds of their trade. I have also seen drivers who have somehow used their meagre salaries to comfortably
take care of their families. Can’t such people be classified as successes despite their “mediocre” net worth?

THERE IS EVERYTHING WRONG WITH BEING A TAXI-DRIVER ONE'S WHOLE LIFE!

WHO calls people into "CAREERS?"

It is ALWAYS SATAN, and NEVER GOD.

YOU represent people who participated in THE SLAVE TRADE.

That is why you DON'T CARE if people live in POVERTY their whole lives.P!

A TAXI-DRIVER lives in danger of death every working-day! His wife could be widowed, and his children orphaned at any time!

What do you offer such to comfort them, and protect their SANITY?

"THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING IN THIPAT JOB YOUR WHOLE LIFE-!"

I had earlier mentioned that positive thinking is now being preached in various churches. Today a lot of pseudo-Christian outfits promise you that you can be all you want to be, achieve every goal. Everything is centred on how you can get everything you want in your own way. Then we turn around and wonder why there are too many self-centred, egotistic Christians. It only follows that if you are the centre of your own life, you are your own god, following your own plan whether or not it means trampling on everybody in your path.

YOU ARE AN ATHEIST, USING EVANGELICAL ANTI-FULL GOSPEL THEOLOGY TO CONDEMN "POSITIVE-THINKING."

Christian Positive-Thinking is obviously based around GOD.

CHRISTIANS WORSHIP GOD- AND WITHOUT YAHSHUA, WE CAN DO NOTHING.

You are deliberately distorting The Truth about Christian Positive-Thinking.

You HATE Christians, and DO NOT want them to achieve every Goal, nor THINK that they CAN.

It is even more surprising that the pseudo-Christian outfits try to justify this positive thinking fad with random verses of the Bible. If only people could read the Bible for themselves! Contrary to popular belief, the Bible is the simplest book in the world to understand, and not some esoteric text. The problem most people have with the Bible is when they try to read in their own private interpretations by quoting verses out of context.

CAN YOU GIVE EXAMPLES OF THESE "RANDOM VERSES?"

Any verses your ilk want to invalidate, you will just say that they were "random," and "taken-out-of-context."

You arrogantly assert that your ACCUSATIONS are BETTER than ACTUAL EVIDENCE!

Whereas, you were LYING about "POSITIVE-THINKING" not being part-and-parcel of THE GOSPEL YAHSHUA PREACHED.

The Harvard Business Review of February 2008 correctly traces the origins of positive thinking to “ideas from Eastern philosophies mixed up with slogans that are completely incoherent.” Jesus Christ never taught positive thinking. We are not told in the Bible of any time where Christ spent hours in affirmation and visualization, nor did he teach his followers about the subconscious mind and the power of vision. So one wonders how some preachers now proclaim these metaphysical and magical teachings as Scriptural.

I have already quoted MARK 11, and JOHN 15.

There is yet more:

. MATTHEW 12:34-37.

34. "O Generation of Vipers,
how can ye, being Evil,
speak Good Things?
For out of the Abundance of the heart
the mouth speaketh.
35. "A Good Man
out of the Good Treasure of the heart
bringeth forth Good Things:
and an Evil Man
out of the Evil Treasure
bringeth forth Evil Things.
36.But I say unto you,

'THAT EVERY IDLE WORD
THAT MEN SHALL SPEAK,
THEY SHALL GIVE ACCOUNT THEREOF
IN THE DAY OF JUDGMENT.'

37. "For by thy Words thou shalt be Justified,
and by thy Words thou shalt be Condemned."

THE ANSWERS TO PRAYERS ARE TO BE VISUALIZED, YAHSHUA SAID, AS BINDING A STRONGMAN, AND TAKING HIS STUFF.

Whatever we want COMES OUT OF OUR HEARTS- as does everything we DON'T want.

Jesus Christ taught dependence on God for our daily needs. That is a more practical way of living than positive thinking. To be sure, asking for God’s help is not as exotic as affirmations, visualizations and the like. However, experience shows that it is a far more productive plan to admit one’s inadequacies and count on God’s help.

You think Yahshua Taught His Disciples to get up before dawn, to VISUALIZE AND AFFIRM FAILURE?

To achieve any meaningful objective, one needs to be in the right place and at the right time. Some people refer to this as “luck’, others call it “time and chance”. We would be honest to admit that we cannot consciously control our being in the right place at the right time. Read through people’s success stories and you would discover the recurring theme of their being presented with the right opportunity that led to achieving their goals. This serendipity always resulted from acts of God and not from their positive babbling.

THE LAW OF GOD EXPLICITLY FORBIDS US TO SAY THAT OUR OWN MIGHT PUTS FOOD ON OUR TABLES.

Lastly, the apparent aims of positive thinking are indeed noble: to motivate people to be their best, to improve their finances, and to make them feel happy and healthy. There is nothing wrong with that. However, like the cliché goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

You serve Wicked OYINBOS who think they have the right to tell us to SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND LIVE IN POVERTY!

(1) (Reply)

Yashua Will Come In The Clouds Of Heaven / Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? / Alfa Bible Studies: Zombies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.