Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,128 members, 7,863,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:08 AM

Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? (91145 Views)

Court Sends Adamawa Ex-commissioner To 10 Years In Prison For Embezzlement / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried / Throwback Photo Of Fela Kuti Wearing Pant To Play Table Tennis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Dahjhi: 9:14pm On Nov 10, 2014
laykorn:

Please stop quoting trolls. They don't deserve the attention.
Ayamlaykorn

*still laffing* I don hear oo..laykorn baba
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by miket2(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2014
Caveatemptor:
Actually in the 1970s Fela Anikulapo Kuti was a thorn in the flesh of all Military governments. Apart from his music which he used as a weapon against all these governments. He hadappaid column in the Punch. newspapers where he attacked. dictatorship of the. military. He also ppublishedd a. mini paper callled MOP(Movement of the people) which. was. distributed free of charge to all. secondary schools and universities. It was these twin vehicles Fela used. to. attack corruuption and military dictatorship.

In 1977 Col Muhamadu Buhari was the commissioner for. Petroleum and there was a rumour propagate. by Dr Tai Solarin that 2.8 billion. Naiira was missing froom the. FG coffers.
Fela and aa lot. of critics picked up these. rumours to. attack the Obasanjo military government of the. time,throughhis music and paper's. .
It was obvious. thaat. aall the militaryofficers of that period including Obasanjo,Yar'Adua,Danjuma,Idiagbon,Babangida and otthers were waitingfor a chance to take their pound of flesh. from Fela.
So. what started with the burning of Felas house by un known soldiers continued with the. arrest and sentencing to prision for foreign exchange fraud under the Buhari/Idiagbon regime.

Thank you...... i rarely post on this site because of the lack of honesty of many of the members, it was politically motivated and Buhari was wrong, no one is saying you should not support him....... name me one politician who has never been wrong at least once..

its like debating with dogs
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Acidosis(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2014
honeric01:

That Station has been officially barred from my TVs forever.

AIT must have learnt a lesson from TVC and Sahara Reporters
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by eleko1: 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2014
U need to be lock up up in a zoo where peeps pay per view to watch u display ur stupidity.slowpoke quote author=slimmy05 post=27898202] You need to go back to the psychiatry ward, you've not recovered here. Don't know why they would remove the chains in the first place.[/quote]
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by M4gunners: 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
mathskill:
I am amazed at how gullible educated and exposed folks on this forum can be.is Ignorance,stupidity or outright naivity the cause is just a mystery to me. Can't u all smell the deceit in the person who posted the thread. What better way to paint Buhari black than by suggesting our beloved Fela was improsened(for whatever reason) under Buhari administration. Knowing fully well the mind set of Nigerians in quickly blaming without reasoning first. I dare say d poster has succeded going by the commentries of most people. Anyway to set the record straight. A law was in existence which Fela ran foul of. He was found guilty by a competent judge(not Buhari) and sentenced accordingly. In short i see no cause to bring Buhari name in this unholy thread.Another example of trying to smear Buhari name.
So Fela could have performe in outside Country,the Money he made over there he will dash it out or reject it because is not allowed to bring it back in his Country? Na goat keep Yam wen goat chop . making that law was wrong at the first place, so blame Buhari for that and also for jailing Baba 70 for nothing.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by philips70(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
honeric01:

That Station has been officially barred from my TVs forever.

I decided to confirm my fears this evening and they didn't disappoint the pundits. It's a shame. Just hope Nairaland will not come to this level soonest. It's not impossible another forum competes and takes away traffic just like Channels did AIT since they went with government.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Ashabie(f): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
My sweetest pie,i zoom you.
TrishaP:
Fela was truly a legend.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Jerry2i(m): 9:21pm On Nov 10, 2014
Just here to read comments and be informed.
But all I know is.....

Okorocha for 2015

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by honeric01(m): 9:21pm On Nov 10, 2014
Acidosis:

Between TVC and AIT, which one is older and which one should be teaching the other?

Between the setting up of TVC and the joining of GEJ's campaign team by Dokpesi (AIT owner), which one happened first?

Sahara reporters is not on my local TV, so of what use is this mention to me?
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by poiZon: 9:22pm On Nov 10, 2014
duni04:

Abi. Don't mind those PDP. They think Buhari is like Jonathan that grants presidential pardons to exconvicts and drops corruption cases for political reasons.

so what did buhari do, keeping shagari under house arrest, but sentenced his vice to jail.
buharistanis u guys needs to be fully prepared when debating n defending ur general.
gej is bad but gmb is neither bad no worse but worstest!
garrit
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by guttentag(m): 9:23pm On Nov 10, 2014
Is GEJ Better?
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by honeric01(m): 9:24pm On Nov 10, 2014
philips70:

I decided to confirm my fears this evening and they didn't disappoint the pundits. It's a shame. Just hope Nairaland will not come to this level soonest. It's not impossible another forum competes and takes away traffic just like Channels did AIT since they went with government.

I stopped watching AIT as soon as Dokpesi joined PDP.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by KingTom(m): 9:24pm On Nov 10, 2014
poiZon:

so what did buhari do, keeping shagari under house arrest, but sentenced his vice to jail.
buharistanis u guys needs to be fully prepared when debating n defending ur general.
gej is bad but gmb is neither bad no worse but worstest!
garrit
If Buhari was President, your english would have been better cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by bloodykiller: 9:24pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!

sharap and focus on the topic

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by dguyindcorner(m): 9:25pm On Nov 10, 2014
..."If your condition today make you
shake
And you still dey not talk the way
you feel
Make you open your two ears very
well
To hear the truth talk me I dey
talk
Listen make you dey agree for me
Every day and night you dey hear
me talk
One day you self you agree with
me
To dey act the way as you dey feel
Remember if you no act your own
One day of course we must die

Nigeria get the money
Foreign money for oversea
Nigeria get the money
Announcement start to happen
Newspaper carry them paper
Radio dey shout for studio
Obasanjo turn vocalist
Yar'Adua road manager
Every government statement
Seven billion naira missing
Missing from oversea
Foreign currency scandal
Them start to arrest everybody o
E no finish, e no finish...
Doctor, lawyer, hustlers
Engineer, photographers
Doctor, lawyer, hustlers
Engineer, photographers
All of them Kirikiri
Ten to fifteen years in jail
After one year inside jail
Civilian government take over
Them release all of dem
Them say dem be innocent o

Two-point-eight-billion naira
Oil money is missing
Two-point-eight-billion naira
Oil money is missing
Them set up inquiry
Them say money no lost o
Them dabaru everybody
Supervisor Obasanjo
Them say make him no talk o
"Money no lost," them shout again
Inquiry come close o
Election story nko
Obasanjo plan am very well
Election story nko
Obasanjo plan am very well
Him take old politicians
Wey rule Nigeria before
The same old politicians
Wey spoil Nigeria before
Obasanjo carry all of them
All of them dey there now

[Chorus]

Yeah!
The young Africans them get two
ears for head
Them get two eyes too
Them dey see the thing wey dey
happen
Them dey hear am too
Few people dey fat with big money
And the rest dey hungry
Me Fela, I challenge Obasanjo
Na wayo him dey all the time
Make him carry me go any court
I go open book for am
Na wayo government we dey o
E gba mi o..."

If Fela still dey alive wonder what he would have sung about Jonathan!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Dabrain20(m): 9:26pm On Nov 10, 2014
Simple arithmetic.. Buhari was a totalitarian govt. And mind u, military era is different frm Democracy. No 1 is expected to act contrary to d decree.. To be for warn is to be for harm.... Do not hold more dan 50 dollars, Fela did return wit 1600 dollars. Is dat not violation of d law. .. Well, GeJ has said dt stealing is not corruption.. This is d face of new Nigeria promised by GEJ

6 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 10, 2014
laykorn:
Acidosis,the OP is a TANoid popular for his lies. He created the thread claiming a clash happened between Atiku's and Buhari's supporters and posted pictures of riots from 2011. He was banned for only 3 days or so. I don't understand this. He shouldn't be on NL at all.
Ayamlaykorn
1099likes!

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by philips70(m): 9:27pm On Nov 10, 2014
Acidosis:

I can bring several links here where this same Saharareporters made damning reports against Tinubu and his dynasty. When they reported against Turai and the cabals during the trying times of GEJ when he was almost locked up in Aso Rock none of you called them Shariareporters. When they were a thorn in the flesh OBJ and his botched third term agenda you didn't fault them. Why now?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by samento: 9:28pm On Nov 10, 2014
M4gunners:
Anyone Fela look finish say he is corrupt or called a bad Leader is really bad,because Fela no dey carri yan.Baba 70 we missed you.
If Fela is to be alive, he would have critisize JonaTAN more than any Nigerian President or Head of state living or dead. JonaTAN is a failure QED.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 10, 2014
Interesting, i acually read all the posts and comments. And i must say that I feel quite sorry for the buhari supporters.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by chamboy(m): 9:28pm On Nov 10, 2014
Fela sha, but baba70 still yab Ibb way release am. Weed n Truth ehn

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by yokiti: 9:30pm On Nov 10, 2014
chakula:
I know nothing about the man in question. Who is Fela please?
Your question is for the gods.
Olufela "Ransome" Kuti but changed his name to Fela Anikulapo Kuti because of his believe that the Ransome in his name was given to his grandparents by the slave masters during the era of slave trade in, He was a Musician, a Philosopher and a rebel, infact, he is more than an Icon. With his lyrical and musical gift, he was always a thorn in the flesh of those in government. Born to the family of late reverend Ransome Kuti and Olufunmilayo Kuti ( an activist and first female Nigerian to drive a car.) from Abeokuta in the present day Ogun state in the federal republic of Nigeria.
He is the father of Yeni, Femi and seun Ketu. Drs. Onikoye and Beko both of blessed memorable are Fela's blood brother.
His music (afro-juju genre) ruled the airwaves for long ( though it hasnt died). Fela and the Late Senior Advocate of the Masses: chief Ganiyu ( Gani ) Oyesola Fawehinmi were among the people our military heads of state will never forget though those action of theirs got them into jail many times. He owns the African shrine somewhere in Alausa area Ikeja
He got married 27 women in a day though he later divorced them. The great Fela died sometime in August 1997 ( if my memory serves me right). His popular songs include but not limited to: Zombie, Kalakuta Republic, Beast of no Nation, Baba nla nonsense. Lovers of Fela had since launched the felabration movement in celebration of the life of this great son of Africa.
I am passing this to Oga Naptu2 and othe great nairalanders to help make amends where necessary.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Acidosis(m): 9:31pm On Nov 10, 2014
philips70:

I can bring several links here where this same Saharareporters made damning reports against Tinubu and his dynasty. When they reported against Turai and the cabals during the trying times of GEJ when he was almost locked up in Aso Rock none of you called them Shariareporters. When they were a thorn in the flesh OBJ and his botched third term agenda you didn't fault them. Why now?

People change, bro.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by jomoh: 9:32pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

This is a perfect and logical explanation for me.

Firefire:

My friend,... how far ee don don? grin

Chai, Barcanista,

Why are you trying to twist the truth...

Let's have your own version of the "untwisted" truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Acidosis(m): 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
laykorn:
Acidosis,the OP is a TANoid popular for his lies. He created the thread claiming a clash happened between Atiku's and Buhari's supporters and posted pictures of riots from 2011. He was banned for only 3 days or so. I don't understand this. He shouldn't be on NL at all.
Ayamlaykorn

Are you denying the clash between Atiku & Buhari's supporters?

I am not a photo journalist. I got the info from a website, only to discover the site is fake! What did I get in return? A 3 day ban from the same man you guys called Anti-Buhari.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by beeff(m): 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!
. Dis I d best comment ever to me.....we all are human beings we tend to act differently he might have his reason 4 dat...pple are dying everyday 4rm bomb blast nd goodluck is there doing notin ever since campaigning ....we need change please we can't continue like dis

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by M4gunners: 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
samento:
If Fela is to be alive, he would have critisize JonaTAN more than any Nigerian President or Head of state living or dead. JonaTAN is a failure QED.
Eh along the line u are wrong. He could have criticize GEJ 4 sure, but not as u claim.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by RamsyG: 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
noblezone:
Buhari was tyranny personified!

An over ambitious soldier who who led fellow rascals to destroy destinies!

Nigerians are hoodwinked that jailing people is the same as fighting corruption!

Buhari shed innocent blood just for the fun of it!

We must do what we have to do: Buhari must not smell that sit again!
wat abt d innocent blood GEJ is indirectely shading.did buhari killed any of ur family member during his admistration?say wat u knw n keep shot on d once u dont

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by KingTom(m): 9:36pm On Nov 10, 2014
dguyindcorner:
..."If your condition today make you
shake
And you still dey not talk the way
you feel
Make you open your two ears very
well
To hear the truth talk me I dey
talk
Listen make you dey agree for me
Every day and night you dey hear
me talk
One day you self you agree with
me
To dey act the way as you dey feel
Remember if you no act your own
One day of course we must die

Nigeria get the money
Nigeria get the money
Announcement start to happen
Newspaper carry them paper
Radio dey shout for studio
Johnathan turn vocalist
Abati and Okupe road manager
Every government statement
Twenty billion naira missing
Missing from NNPC
Oil currency scandal
Them start to accuse everybody o
Sanusi, Sanusi
All of them suspension
Dabaru government take over
Them release all of dem
Them say dem be innocent o

Ten-billion naira
Oil money is missing
Ten billion naira
Oil money is missing
Them set up inquiry
Them say money no lost o
Them dabaru everybody
Supervisor Johnathan
Them say make him no talk o
"Money no lost," them shout again
Inquiry come close o
Election story nko
Johnathan plan am very well
Election story nko
Johnathan plan am very well
Him take old politicians
Wey rule Nigeria before
The same old politicians
Wey spoil Nigeria before
Johnathan carry all of them
All of them dey there now

[Chorus]

Yeah!
The young Africans them get two
ears for head
Them get two eyes too
Them dey see the thing wey dey
happen
Them dey hear am too
Few people dey fat with big money
And the rest dey hungry
Me Fela, I challenge Johnathan
Na wayo him dey all the time
Make him carry me go any court
I go open book for him wife grin grin grin
Na wayo government we dey o
E gba mi o..."

If Fela still dey alive wonder what he would have sung about Jonathan!
Fixed grin
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Ahmeduana(m): 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy
MAKE UNA COME SEE IMAGE LAUNDRY! BARCANISTAN BUHARI SEND YOU THIS MESSAGE WEY YOU DEY DELIVER SO OR IS PART OF YOUR PAID JOB! YOU KNOW WHAT I WILL STOP SUPPORTING JONATHAN IF YOU CAN STAND AT THE FRONT OF SEUN OR FEMI KUTI AND VOMIT ALL THESE RUBBISH WEY YOU DEY VOMIT SO, THAT THEIR FATHER BROKE THE LAW OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC NIGERIA!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Taidi(m): 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
olayincar:
Just reading comment
Bros, Abeg read remain for me
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by samento: 9:38pm On Nov 10, 2014
M4gunners:
So Fela could have performe in outside Country,the Money he made over there he will dash it out or reject it because is not allowed to bring it back in his Country? Na goat keep Yam wen goat chop . making that law was wrong at the first place, so blame Buhari for that and also for jailing Baba 70 for nothing.
You are how many years old then? Because you have no idea about this topic.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

The Moment Wike Pushed Man Out Of His Way & Left PDP Convention Venue / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE / Ministerial Nominees And Their States Of Origin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.