Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands (6386 Views)

Buy Very Fertile Farmlands From Us And Enjoy These Amazing Benefits / The Cheapest And Reliable Farmlands On Nairaland / Acres Of Virgin Farmlands In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 7:56pm On Nov 25, 2014
Buying Farmlands: Things to Consider

Location of the land that you are planning to buy is very important. You will need to consider how buying this land will support the kind of farming you plan to do. You, for instance, may need to consider a land that is far from residential development if you are going into poultry farming. Less I forget, seeking out zones where your kind of farming is already prevalent is advised for poultry and piggery farmers. If an area is dominated by poultry farmers for example, people planning to build residential houses will not even go near the place. But if you move into a residential area with your poultry, be ready to face the complaints of the landlords and trouble with the local government planning authority.

Another thing to consider pertaining to the location of your farmland is the closeness to your market, especially if your produce is perishable. You might also need to check the available infrastructures in the area where your farm is to be located.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 9:50pm On Nov 25, 2014
bamiwale:
Location of the land that you are planning to buy is very important. You will need to consider how buying this land will support the kind of farming you plan to do. You, for instance, may need to consider a land that is far from residential development if you are going into poultry farming. Less I forget, seeking out zones where your kind of farming is already prevalent is advised for poultry and piggery farmers. If an area is dominated by poultry farmers for example, people planning to build residential houses will not even go near the place. But if you move into a residential area with your poultry, be ready to face the complaints of the landlords and trouble with the local government planning authority.
Another thing to consider pertaining to the location of your farmland is the closeness to your market, especially if your produce is perishable. You might also need to check the available infrastructures in the area where your farm is to be located.

Please let's hear about your experiences concerning the importance of location of farmland. And if you have any issues too, kindly share. Let's learn together.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 12:32pm On Nov 30, 2014
Infrastructures

Infrastructures on or around the land is another issue that need to be thought about. How good is the road to the land? Does a road get to the land? Remember you need to move equipments, farm inputs, and eventually your farm produce to and from the farm. Is electricity important to your plan? Check its availability. Check for other utilities like telecom and health facilities. Are they accessible? How important are they to your enterprise? If these are not available, are there options you can explore? Think about these.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by Kalusam(m): 6:47pm On Dec 02, 2014
Nigeria: Apply for the West Agribusiness Initiative and Get free land and Support! For all those Youths that are really interested in Agriculture but lack land! https://www.nairaland.com/2024911/w.a.b.i
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:17pm On Dec 02, 2014
bamiwale:
Infrastructures

Infrastructures on or around the land is another issue that need to be thought about. How good is the road to the land? Does a road get to the land? Remember you need to move equipments, farm inputs, and eventually your farm produce to and from the farm. Is electricity important to your plan? Check its availability. Check for other utilities like telecom and health facilities. Are they accessible? How important are they to your enterprise? If these are not available, are there options you can explore? Think about these.
Welldone.
Where is your land located in ibadan?and kindly let me have your contacts?
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by world1(m): 7:21pm On Dec 02, 2014
Are You Interested In Agribusiness?
Get Free Land And Training At WABI Centre Ogbomosho, Osun State.
Apply now
https://www.nairaland.com/2024911/w.a.b.i
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 10:45pm On Dec 02, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:

Welldone.
Where is your land located in ibadan?and kindly let me have your contacts?

Around Laleye village, off Moniya.
You can reach me on 07032179911.
Thanks.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 10:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
Land History

Land history: every land has its history. You need to make enquiries about the land. Who owns the land? Has it ever been sold before? Is there a trend of the owners or sellers being perpetually involved in court cases? What documents back the sale? In places where there is good land registry, you may be able to find out a lot from the government offices in charge of land matters, but in other places you just have to do your investigations the customary way. Ask questions, ask a lot of them. The answers may help you make the right decisions on your purchase.

It's also important to know if the land has been put to any kind of use before. A land that has been contaminated from chemical waste of companies or high chemical dosage from non-agricultural use may not help your business. So you have to confirm if the prior use of the land will not impart your plans negatively.

My advice: investigate the land.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 10:24pm On Dec 06, 2014
Security

Security is a vital issue that must be considered before you make that land purchase. You need to know how secured the area is. Is theft a commonplace crime in the area?

Like someone has raised it on this thread, you have to consider the prevalence of "area boys" in the area. Can you manage them? If not, find land elsewhere.

Fencing is also important when you buy farmland. This may be with bricks, wire fencing or live fencing( use of living trees, e.g Gliricidia, in fencing). This demarcation of your land goes a long way in securing your farm produce and avoiding boundary disputes in the future.

Depending on the kind of farming you are in to, you may need to employ security guard(s).

Whatever you do, secure your farmland.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 9:37pm On Dec 13, 2014
As this year draws to an end, take action on your plans. Don't just keep dreaming of starting that farm, do something.

Need a farmland to start? Contact me on 07032179911
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 9:36pm On Dec 16, 2014
Water

Water is important to whichever kind of farming you intend to engage in, be it animal husbandry or cropping. You will need to check for availability of water around your land. How easy or difficult is it for nearby farmers to get water? Do they depend on streams or dig their own wells and boreholes? If they dig/drill for their own water, is the average cost of this affordable by you?

Whatever happens, don't you ever depend on a source of water you cannot control for your farming. You must be in control of the water. You want to use a good river that flows through your farm? What if it's a seasonal river? Or someone decides to dam it upstream or gets it contaminated upstream. Think of the adversity these can put you in, and make sure it is possible to provide your own water on the land.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 12:43am On Dec 22, 2014
I've been getting some feedbacks offline and I enjoy addressing them. However, I want to enjoin those reading and following this thread to let's bring up our issues here. That way, it won't be just my limited opinions, but contributions from a broader spectrum of knowledge.

Let's learn together.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by hotmas911(m): 4:28pm On Dec 22, 2014
world1:
Are You Interested In Agribusiness?
Get Free Land And Training At WABI Centre Ogbomosho, Osun State.
Apply now
https://www.nairaland.com/2024911/w.a.b.i
@World1, a go fine you ooo. Ogbomosho is Oyo state not Osun.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 12:02am On Dec 23, 2014
hotmas911:
@World1, a go fine you ooo. Ogbomosho is Oyo state not Osun.

I think you are in the wrong thread.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by hotmas911(m): 9:44pm On Dec 23, 2014
bamiwale:

I think you are in the wrong thread.
? shocked
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by foluwatosin: 10:27pm On Dec 23, 2014
I think such lands could only b in forest and nt road side and hw much is an heactre in ur area?thanks
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 7:26am On Dec 24, 2014
foluwatosin:
I think such lands could only b in forest and nt road side and hw much is an heactre in ur area?thanks

Which lands sir? Prices of an hectare (2.5 acres) vary from place to place around Ibadan here, depending on accessibility and other factors. However, since average price of an acre around here goes around 150k to 200k, I will say an hectare goes for 375k to 500k.
Thanks.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 5:55pm On Dec 25, 2014
Merry Christmas to you all.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 8:37am On Dec 28, 2014
It's the last Sunday of the year. I wish all readers and followers of this thread compliments of the season.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by emmyz09(m): 2:23pm On Dec 28, 2014
Am interested in d lands but am far away in the north, if I eventually buy an acre/hectare wat happens if I don't start farming on it? Hope it won't be resold? Pls give me answers.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 9:22pm On Dec 28, 2014
emmyz09:
Am interested in d lands but am far away in the north, if I eventually buy an acre/hectare wat happens if I don't start farming on it? Hope it won't be resold? Pls give me answers.

It depends on who/where you are buying from. Cases of reselling of lands is common around some places more than others. It is however advisable that you put your land to some kind of use immediately after purchase or at least put up the 4 corner pieces to dermacate your land.

However, if you need non-problematic lands around Ibadan, I can be of help on that. We've been buying land from some villages in Ibadan here without any issues.

You can reach me on 07032179911 or follow this thread for more info:
https://www.nairaland.com/1980407/acres-farmland-available-sale-ibadan
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 12:38pm On Dec 31, 2014
This is to thank you all for patronizing us in this outgoing year. May God bless your endeavors in the year and increase you in the year to come.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2015
Welcome to 2015

After all the festivities are gone, what is your plan for the year? Will you spend the year day by day, just like the past ones? Or strategically invest it in achieving some specific aims? This is my challenge to you. I wish that this year will be one of great success stories for us and I hope we will find reasons to rejoice together when this year ends.

I welcome you to 2015.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 2:36pm On Jan 29, 2015
Let's talk about farmlands.

Call: 07032179911.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 11:42am On Feb 14, 2015
Happy vals to all my clients and friends. Love you all.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 7:34am On Feb 19, 2015
Choosing Land for Fish Pond

It should be confirmed that the proposed land area is suitable. The general conformation of the land should be with slopes not steeper than 2 percent. If wasteland, unsuitable for agriculture or other direct use, is selected for a project, the cost of the land will be low. Land elevation and flood level are important factors in determining the suitability of the area for the construction of a fish farm or hatchery. The land should be free from deep flooding; the maximum flood level for the past 10 years should not be higher than the top of the dikes. Observation of the marks left by flood waters on bridges or other structures at the site, or questioning of local people, may give information about the expected heights of floods. The shape and size of available land should be considered: land with a regular shape and extensive enough for future expansion is ideally suitable for a fish farm. It is very important to know the development plans for the area as it would be unwise to select a site for a project in a region where future industrial activity may cause air and water pollution. Similarly, if a site is adjacent to a heavily populated area, the risk of pollution should be borne in mind. However, some industrial and agricultural wastes may be utilized in fish farming. In such cases, special investigations should be conducted on their utilization or required treatment.

Underground utilities crossing the site (oil pipelines, etc.) may render otherwise good sites unsuitable for a project. Generally, high electric power poles, radio masts and the like are not allowed in the pond area.

The type and density of vegetation depend partly on the land elevation. Vegetation is also an indicator of soil types and of the elevation of the water table. The type and density of vegetation, its size and the root systems of trees largely determine the method of clearing the site and, therefore, the construction time and cost.

Grassland, abandoned paddy fields, open woodland or land covered with low shrubs and bushes allow cheaper construction than land with very thick jungle or swampy areas with high trees. However, in the cyclone belt or in areas where strong winds are frequent, it is very important to have a wide and high windbreak of thick vegetation against the direction of the prevailing wind.

More info:

https://www.nairaland.com/2155269/considerations-choosing-site-fish-pond
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 8:48pm On Mar 01, 2015
Happy new month. As we enter this new month rainy season, may the showers bring us blessings upon blessings. Amen.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 8:06am On Mar 24, 2015
Question: Why are farmlands cheaper than lands for housing development?

Someone asked me recently, why farmlands come in ridiculously low prices. He believes these prices are so low that someone familiar with prices of land in urban areas will suspect it not to be real. Or how will you justify an acre (6 plots) of land selling for as low as N150,000 when a single plot in an average semi-urban town goes for nothing less than N300,000 and above (even a plot goes for millions in urban areas)? N150,000 per acre? That's like N25,000 per plot. Have you thought along this same line before? Here is the response I gave him.

One, farmlands are usually in villages that are really rural. These places are not presently targets of residential development. The villages usually lack basic amenities except for some few lucky ones. So, no one goes there to build. Being out of way, and lack of social amenities play a big role in low end prices of farmlands.

The second reason I gave him was the basic Economics. Demand and Supply interaction. Not so many are paying attention to agric in Nigeria. A lot of us think it's ancient. Something for the uneducated people. So, we have so much land but there's low demand for its use. Basic Economics says when supply is high and demand is low, the price crashes.

However, this may not continue to be so for too long as Nigerians are seeing reasons to diversify into agriculture with the dwindling oil prices. The current trend of crude oil at the international market is opening our eyes to the dangers of oil dependency, and both the government and people are turning to agriculture.

My advice: The prices of farmlands will not always be this low. So, if you have any interest farming or property investment, now is the time to buy. This is an investment you will be happy you made.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 12:07pm On May 02, 2015
It's been quite some time posting on NL. I've been a bit busy preparing for the rainy season. It's great being back. Happy New Month.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 9:10am On May 03, 2015
Happy Sunday. Have a pleasant week.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 1:36am On Jun 20, 2015
I've been getting some offline feedback from those reading this thread. Thanks for the encouragement. I just hope I have more time on my hands.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 12:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
Wise Words
What you see depends on how you view the world. To most people, dirt is just dirt. To a farmer, it’s potential.
– Doe Zantamata

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Rabbit Farming Is Far Better And More Profitable Than Grass Cutter Farming / Simple Ways Of Calculating Plant Population In Farming / Yam & fufu commercial Pounder..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.