Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? (16182 Views)

African Time: The Bug In Our Systems / Gbam! - Who Invented It? / Please What Does The Yoruba Phrase "irawo E Yin Meji Papo" Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by iornenge81(m): 12:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
I feel sad when people don't keep to time, especially when coming to church

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Truth24(m): 12:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
Who. read dat pls
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by rill: 12:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
My dog did
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by lonelydora: 12:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
Because we all too lazy on African
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by joshrare(m): 12:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
This should be a wake up call on everyone infected with the africa time virus...

It is only in nigeria they will invite u 4 a traditional wedding for 12pm and it will eventually kick up by 4pm

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by dencotech(m): 12:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
Much as I agree with the writer on discouraging the squandermenia mentality of the Africans with regard to time management, I wish to state that the the writer did not unearth the etymology of the term "African Time". Yes we had African time. Before the coming of the europeans, Africans have the sense but has no measure of time. Time and seasons are measured by the moon (full moon, half moon, sunset, sunrise, the position of the human shadows etc) and movement of the solar system. For Africans then if a meeting is to be held by sunset on the dot anything between 6pm to 8pm is still in order. And no one ever complained cos there was no tool to judge. However in this modern day, African time is now used in a perjorative sense by the Africans themselves to mock themselves unfortunately. But is obvious that Africans have sense of time. Eg., the civil servants and salary workers dare not appear late at their posts. I think time mismanagement is a general problem peculiar to the whites and blacks. Go to US and see wot guys do in clubs for a whole day. Again, some Africans and the whites also know how to keep to time. I, as a perseon, do not joke with time. I attend every function 30 minutes before the time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Console(f): 12:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nice One!
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by galaxybabe(f): 12:55pm On Nov 16, 2014
cheesy
masonkz:
Cos y'all don't ever take anything serious. angry

You arrive at a party slated for 1pm and you only see the technician doing mic check 1.2

angry angry
Lol! So true bro! cheesy

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by ALKARULEZ615(m): 1:03pm On Nov 16, 2014
ShaddyTerese:
“AFRICAN TIME”: Who invented this Phrase?

Time is defined as a period considered as a resource under your control and sufficient to accomplish something.
I want to believe without any iota of doubt that at one instance or the other, you have heard someone mention this phrase “African Time”. Personally I have heard it countless times. In fact, just yesterday, someone sent me a message inviting me for a musical concert which was scheduled to hold at 2:30pm and she ended the message with “no African time please”. This; added to the countless incidences where I have heard people emphasize the No-African-time warning got me thinking: who actually invented this phrase? And why was Africa used to qualify it. Why not American time or European time?

The answer is not farfetched as you will soon find out for yourself.

Humanity; over time has been guided by principles. Principles which dictate their way of life. In fact, these principles are what set some individuals apart from other ones.

In the same vein, the “black man” over the years have often undermined the relevance of time to his own detriment. How so? Look at our technological advancement in “comparism” with the white man. Can you spot any difference? Time and its prudent management is what actually created that difference.

“You do not have all the time in the world”. Am sure you might have heard that before too. Time management whether to a white man or a black man has the same benefit or consequences when utilized or undermined respectively. For instance: waking up and refusing to go about your day’s activities will not halt time by one second, in the same vein, another person has; or thinks he has so much time in the world while another is seeking just 24 more hours to change his world. That is the value and relevance they have found in it.

It is a common scene in this part of our world that occasions scheduled for a particular time usually kick start hours after the scheduled time due to sheer negligence to time.
Our seemingly lackadaisical attitude towards time must have given the first man who took time to observe such a behavior the impression that Africans do not have regard for time yet they have no control over it. We think we should be the ones controlling it yet the opposite happens. You don’t dictate when dawn or dusk should come, when rain, or summer should set in, when to get sick or ultimately when to die. Once your time is up, you’re done. What an irony.

Who knows; maybe it has a contributing effect as to why we are still where we are economically. Maybe shouldn’t have been the world. Am sure it does have its effects as to where you are today. You either have been managing it prudently or carelessly.

I might never get to find out who qualified time this way as it affects us but I am sure to correct the notion that “all Africans have no regard for time”. Most importantly, time cannot be altered for the benefit of any individual that is why 24 hours will not fall by one second for your sake.
Those who have regard for time are always on top of their “games” (ask Aliko Dangote and Mike Adenuga what it means when they lose a minute of their time unaccounted for) and would not allow anyone waste their precious resource for whatever reason. After all “time is money”.

Africans who have regard for time will not wait for 10am before setting out for an event scheduled at 10am. A lecturer or office executive will not wait for 8am before heading to work. (Ignorance is what makes some people call this kind “wicked”.) So you can see that in as much as the “African time” time mentality hold meaning in some lives, it is not all inclusive and has its effects only on those who are yet to find their purpose in life because those who have done so are actively representing their works of life the best way they can.

Our prudent management of time goes a long way in determining who we are so it is high time we shake off the shackles of the presumed negligence of time so “unknown” individual melted on us and make every second of our African life count for something meaningful.
Been fulfilled or unfulfilled is determinant on how well you managed your 24hrs daily which cumulated into your entire life. Africans are hardworking and industrious. Do not ruin our reputation with your cold attitude towards time. Make it count.
after all the stress, just "2 likes"

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Lurcky(m): 1:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
Exjoker:
Your headline caught my attention but the post is soo lengthy Argh!! Very discouraging you know

What do you mean by that?

That's why most kids fail their exam, they re jst too lazy to read lenghty words
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by dreamchazer: 1:37pm On Nov 16, 2014
The only logical to explanation for the phrase "African time' is that it was introduced by the colonialists. The colonial administrators operated on both the time zones of thier country of origin and that of the AFrican country they administered.the phrase "African time' was invented to differentiate between both time zones. It didn't in any way signify lateness.
For example if Leopold called a meeting for 2p.m and George comes for the meeting at 4p.m he could come up with the excuse that he thought the meeting was to hold 2p.m African time. (Assuming Portugal is 2hours ahead of the said African country)

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by eightsin(m): 1:46pm On Nov 16, 2014
Naija and African time be like weed n fire. They can't do without each other.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Atoos(m): 1:47pm On Nov 16, 2014
hmmm!!!
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by holatin(m): 1:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
some youth who thought menu supposed to be the first item instead of opening prayers
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Unionised(m): 2:01pm On Nov 16, 2014
ShaddyTerese:

Time is defined as a period considered as a resource under your control and sufficient to accomplish something.
I want to believe without any iota of doubt that at one instance or the other, you have heard someone mention this phrase “African Time”. Personally I have heard it countless times. In fact, just yesterday, someone sent me a message inviting me for a musical concert which was scheduled to hold at 2:30pm and she ended the message with “no African time please”. This; added to the countless incidences where I have heard people emphasize the No-African-time warning got me thinking: who actually invented this phrase? And why was Africa used to qualify it. Why not American time or European time?

Humanity; over time has been guided by principles. Principles which dictate their way of life. In fact, these principles are what set some individuals apart from other ones.

In the same vein, the “black man” over the years have often undermined the relevance of time to his own detriment. How so? Look at our technological advancement in “comparism” with the white man. Can you spot any difference? Time and its prudent management is what actually created that difference.

“You do not have all the time in the world”. Am sure you might have heard that before too. Time management whether to a white man or a black man has the same benefit or consequences when utilized or undermined respectively. For instance: waking up and refusing to go about your day’s activities will not halt time by one second, in the same vein, another person has; or thinks he has so much time in the world while another is seeking just 24 more hours to change his world. That is the value and relevance they have found in it.

It is a common scene in this part of our world that occasions scheduled for a particular time usually kick start hours after the scheduled time due to sheer negligence to time.
Our seemingly lackadaisical attitude towards time must have given the first man who took time to observe such a behavior the impression that Africans do not have regard for time yet they have no control over it. We think we should be the ones controlling it yet the opposite happens. You don’t dictate when dawn or dusk should come, when rain, or summer should set in, when to get sick or ultimately when to die. Once your time is up, you’re done. What an irony.

Who knows; maybe it has a contributing effect as to why we are still where we are economically. Maybe shouldn’t have been the world. Am sure it does have its effects as to where you are today. You either have been managing it prudently or carelessly.

I might never get to find out who qualified time this way as it affects us but I am sure to correct the notion that “all Africans have no regard for time”. Most importantly, time cannot be altered for the benefit of any individual that is why 24 hours will not fall by one second for your sake.
Those who have regard for time are always on top of their “games” (ask Aliko Dangote and Mike Adenuga what it means when they lose a minute of their time unaccounted for) and would not allow anyone waste their precious resource for whatever reason. After all “time is money”.

Africans who have regard for time will not wait for 10am before setting out for an event scheduled at 10am. A lecturer or office executive will not wait for 8am before heading to work. (Ignorance is what makes some people call this kind “wicked”.) So you can see that in as much as the “African time” time mentality hold meaning in some lives, it is not all inclusive and has its effects only on those who are yet to find their purpose in life because those who have done so are actively representing their works of life the best way they can.

Our prudent management of time goes a long way in determining who we are so it is high time we shake off the shackles of the presumed negligence of time so “unknown” individual melted on us and make every second of our African life count for something meaningful.
Been fulfilled or unfulfilled is determinant on how well you managed your 24hrs daily which cumulated into your entire life. Africans are hardworking and industrious. Do not ruin our reputation with your cold attitude towards time. Make it count.

POSTER,
All these epistle and no punchline.

Let me posit that time is the invent of a CAPITALISTIC world bent on satisfying its insatiable greed.

We lived happily in our "Garden of Eden" before the white man intruded.

Hello, Its African Time!!!

Its OUR TIME!!!!!!!!

Don't make it sound so negative...

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Galadimabawa: 2:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
An elderly man in sudan once said a white men, when questioning Why he come let to a meeting:- YOU HAVE THE CLOCK, WE HAVE THE TIME.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by AKYNN007: 2:12pm On Nov 16, 2014
The attitude of not keeping to time by Nigerians brought about that sentence. Its an attitude that was incorporated into our time management right from primary school days. The average Nigerian school child attends schools where the bell rings for break but dare not leave where he/she is seated because the teacher is still standing by the board, at that point in time, we began to see time differently and what we saw was, [s]it shouldn't be respected. moving unto secondary school, same thing, In the university same thing except if the next lecturer comes around. I couldn't control it myself until I started working with a multinational. Where timing is everything. At first I struggled but later, It flowed.

The way to stop this, is going back to our present primary and secondary schools to make this correction for the young generation. The non African it works from what I see in their movies. Timing is everything.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 16, 2014
African time = low productivity.

I know very well how difficult it is to accomplish things in Nigeria because of African time. Things I should be able to do in 5 hours takes me 1-2 entire days. Because people are late. Always asking me what's my hurry. Can't I do it tomorrow. Oh, I've not eaten. Chai, I'm so tired.

Jesus, I hate it.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Galadimabawa: 2:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
An elderly man in sudan once said to a white men, when questioning Why he come let to a meeting:- YOU HAVE THE CLOCK, WE HAVE THE TIME.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by poiZon: 2:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
ShaddyTerese:

time is simply defined as a clock that ticks.
Some people's time flies while sometimes time becomes untimely asset.
e make sense?
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 16, 2014
please spare a minute and visit www.trendsnaija.com
=======================================

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by darlenese(f): 2:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
So long a letter!

*yawning*
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
Let me share with you an excerpt from an international business handbook, instructing foreigners on how to handle business in different African countries. Concept of time is highlighted. Notice the differences.

Business Protocols and Customs in Some African Countries

Ghana
Greeting: Many ethnic groups have customs that make introductions different across the country . English greetings and handshakes are common.
Concept of time: Meetings need to be confirmed. Allow extra time for travel because of frequent traffic jams. Ghanaians have a fluid sense of time and often are later than scheduled.
Gifts: When invited into a Ghanaian home, it is polite to bring at least a small gift for the children. Dash is money , goods, or favors given for receiving personal services.
Conversation: Not every one speaks English and y ou may need an interpreter.

Kenya
Greeting: Phy sical contact is important, and the handshake is considered a gesture of trust and peace.
Dress: Lightweight business suits are appropriate in the warm climate.
Concept of time: Make appointments two weeks in advance. Keny ans are punctual. Meetings are usually informal. Business hours are 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday to Friday ; 8:30 A.M. to
3:00 P.M. Saturday s.

Gifts: Meals are common for business, both lunch and dinner. Gifts are given at dinner.
Conversation: Keny ans consider advice about national and local affairs to be condescending. Avoid describing Keny ans as “blacks.”

Morocco
Greeting: Less than fervent greetings are considered rude. Handshakes are common.
Dress: Business attire is conservative, but dressing well is seen as commanding respect.
Concept of time: Business sty les tend to be formal. Make appointments in advance and send a letter with company information and history . Foreigners are expected to be punctual, even if y our
host is not.

Gifts: Business is alway s conducted with customary tea drinking. Do not give a gift on first meeting; it may be interpreted as a bribe.
Conversation: Business is conducted in French. You must have a letter of credit to do business in Morocco. Your own embassy can provide one. It is considered impolite to say a direct no, so
expect Moroccans to say y es even if they do not mean it.

Mozambique
Greeting: Two people grasp each other’s hands, rotate the wrist up, and then resume a normal handshake.
Dress: Safari suits in summer and summer suits in winter are proper attire.
Concept of time: Make appointments in advance, and confirm a day in advance. You may be kept waiting a long time. January is a vacation month and little business is conducted.
Gifts: Avoid lavish gifts. You may offend or embarrass people if y ou give expensive items.
Conversation: Portuguese is the official language. Discuss culture and history ; avoid politics and regional disputes.

Nigeria
Greeting: Formal and western. Handshaking is customary . Attempts to use the local language show a willingness to adapt, and an appreciation for local customs.
Dress: Suits are required for meetings with top executives.
Concept of time: Schedule appointments in advance; limit to two appointments a day . Punctuality is not routine. Nigerians have a fluid sense of time. Business is not done in Muslim areas on
Friday s and Saturday s.

Gifts: A Nigerian partner is required to do business legally in Nigeria. Dash, a facilitation fee to expedite business, is expected, although the government discourages the practice.
Conversation: Significant business transactions are alway s conducted in person. Preference is for oral agreement, with a written follow-up. Communication is open and direct. Hard bargaining
is expected in negotiations.

Senegal
Greeting: Shaking hands and kissing alternate cheeks three times is common.
Dress: Conservative business dress for men and women is appropriate.
Concept of time: Make appointments one week before coming to the country . Schedule meetings in the morning. Meetings are formal, and may be stopped for a pray er break.
Gifts: Gifts are given and received with the right hand or with both hands.
Conversation: French or English is the language of business. Asking personal questions is considered impolite. It is also considered bad luck to ask how many children someone has, or how old
they are.

South Africa
Greeting: Shaking hands is common. Because of the diversity , many greetings are used, from hello and good morning to the Afrikaans Goeie more (good morning) and Zulu Sawubona (hello).
Dress: Dress is conservative.
Concept of time: Business and government offices are open from 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Appointments are required. Punctuality is very important.
Gifts: Dinner guests are not expected to bring gifts, but something to drink such as juice or wine is appropriate.
Conversation: English and Afrikaans are spoken most frequently . Almost all South Africans are bilingual. If possible, avoid discussion of local politics, particularly the former apartheid policy .

Zimbabwe
Greeting: “Good morning, how are y ou?” and “Hello” are understood by all language groups. A handshake is common.
Dress: Suits and ties for men; modest suits or dresses for women are appropriate business attire.
Concept of time: Make appointments in advance. Punctuality is expected in business. Tea after a business meeting is common as an opportunity for socializing; keep that in mind when
scheduling a business day .

Gifts: Gifts are given and received with both hands. It is considered rude to refuse a gift.
Conversation: English is the official language. Years of colonial rule make Zimbabweans sensitive to racism and discrimination. Direct ey e contact during conversation is considered rude.

(Source: Princeton Training Press, Doing Business Internationally)
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Guidette(f): 2:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
Arrggghhh abeggggi. It is not only us that have African timing, even Caribbean pple too have it. If you live in a chill environment, most likely pple will develop their own rules about a lot of stuff. It is just a way of life in Naija so relax. See epistle...
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 16, 2014
Guidette:
Arrggghhh abeggggi. It is not only us that have African timing, even Caribbean pple too have it. If you live in a chill environment, most likely pple will develop their own rules about a lot of stuff. It is just a way of life in Naija so relax. See epistle...

It's called CPT, or Colored People Time, in the US. Flattering, no? And before you shout racism, white people are too terrified of being labeled racists to use such a bold term, or even think it. It's black people who use it.

Proudly, even.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by ShaddyTerese(m): 2:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
Wow wow! I can't say how happy I am for seeing my article make the front page. Thanks to the administrators and all faithful readers too. I feel honored.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by ShaddyTerese(m): 2:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
Console:
Nice One!
Thank you.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Guidette(f): 2:56pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

It's called CPT, or Colored People Time, in the US. Flattering, no? And before you shout racism, white people are too terrified of being labeled racists to use such a bold term, or even think it. It's black people who use it.

Proudly, even.

Look, when in Rome live like Romans. Do I like African time. Hell no! But it is one of those things you get used to. I am sure there are countries in Europe that dont keep to time either, as there are countries in Africa that do. It is just a way of life so y'all should chill. Besides I would never shout racism for anything like that.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 16, 2014
Guidette:

Look, when in Rome live like Romans. Do I like African time. Hell no! But it is one of those things you get used to. I am sure there are countries in Europe that dont keep to time either, as there are countries in Africa that do. It is just a way of life so y'all should chill. Besides I would never shout racism for anything like that.

Well, I'm guess I'm too much of a New Yorker, because I hate waiting, and I'm always in a hurry. But it makes for high productivity. What could be wrong with that? On the other hand, everyone back home lives so long and is generally happier than my family in the States. So I guess that's the trade-off. Less stress.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Koko88(m): 3:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
Definitely a Nigerian
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Appswheel(m): 3:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
niice one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ndokwa People Of Delta: Interestd In Finding Out More of ur Background & Culture / Did West Africans Reach The New World? Afrocentric Fantasy Or A New Beginning? / Why Have We Been So Far Behind Whites: ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.