Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,314 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism (31944 Views)

Mother Of 2 Wears Bum Revealing Outfit In Public (photo) / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by bukatyne(f): 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2014
Glad my little contribution to the thread worked cheesy

I will also steer clear from Muslims so I do not get blown up and priests so that I am not molested. cheesy

Goodnight y'all kiss
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 2:00am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:
You sound like an iidiot who thinks they know stuff but they don't. It's obvious, this isn't an insult. Is there any society more patriarchal than that of early Africa? Do you mean to tell me that the men in that society didn't cook or weren't taught to cook?

Before you piss blood all over this thread, consider the meaning of terms you're spouting and their practicality. How many homes do you know where the fathers are the primary meal manufacturers, does it mean those men don't cook or can't cook? Have you not seen women split firewood in Africa doesn't that require substantial physical strength and should naturally be the preserve of men(heavy lifting?)?

Life tools are life tools and should be taught to everyone to a logical extent. However, gender roles are what they are and certain skills will only be electives to the core of a gender's natural and situational roles, and no amount of gender equalism crusading can negate that.

---
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 2:05am On Nov 14, 2014
crackhaus:

What is the common sense and what is feminism?

As a feminist yourself, which of these feminist campaigns are you actively a part of? - oops scratch that, how many of these were you even aware of before this thread?
FCKH8 Campaign, Hollaback!, #YesAllWomen, #FreeTheNipples, TakePart.com

And when I call people on here pseudo-feminists, y'all think I just enjoy using fancy words... grin

---

1 Like

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 2:11am On Nov 14, 2014
cKaiser:

You might have to take your crusade up with nature who created both sexes different.

Its nature who made men naturally stronger than women due to having a higher muscle mass.

A baby boy from 7 month graviatates towards Trucks, balls and high risk play while a baby girl wants to play with dolls, tend them love them and is generally calmed

Its nature who made women more fragile, tender and caring.

Its nature who made men have more testosterone required for military, Taking risks and daring acts

No amount of role equality can make a man conceive a child naturally nor a woman impregnate another woman. Genes and nature control that

You're making rather ludicrous statements.

Nature doesn't gravitate either sex towards anything besides the ease of developing muscle mass for men - that is all (and of course a difference in reproductive roles).
If you have learnt anything about sociology or looked around a little, you will realize that the toys given to kids to play with are strictly based on the bias of parents. The loving nature of people - based on societal conditioning. Taking risks: human psychology is so warped, we are easily adapted to anything. Testosterone isn't enough to make a strong enough mark in terms of aggression and fear and risk taking for individuals. You haven't seen excellent and/or reckless female gamblers, have you?

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 2:14am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:
I'll take feminism serious when feminists earn what they demand. The problem with these people is they want men/the patriarchy to "give" them equality. Shuo

Yes, that's what we want. Why? Because nature gave us an equitable system. Slightly different roles, but abilities and adaptation to make tem insignificant and trivial. We don't need to "earn" what you have systematically "taken away" from us.

5 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 2:25am On Nov 14, 2014
iykedare:

This feminism thing never tire you?

Nah! People tend to be incapable of being tired of their oppression. Maybe when the oppressive system leaves them alone, you know? Uhn? No, you wouldn't know - you are king of the oppression.

5 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:
Carefreewannabe, this was my commentAnd the text in bold is what I expected you to answer.

No, she didn't expect me to woo men.
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 14, 2014
dBard:
I am sick and tired of all these feminist for and against arguments n hate getting drawn into them,but since am here, lemme ask, can one of d 'feminists' here be bold enuff to give 5 examples of what n where they demand Equal rights in

Expecting d usual dodge n parry, but hoping to be disappointed sha.

@carefreewannabe.. Sometimes I do think u just love d arguments undecided
Gender roles, like d poster opined, are Time honoured cos people recognized early enuff d Limitations Specific to each Gender and sought to build/ ;maximize each genders potential.
How is it wrong, seeing d caring,nurturing nature of d female folks to teach n encourage her in housekeeping,
Or seeing how restless n adventurous d typical male is,to give him bow n arrows n throw him t d bush to hunt or to emphasize d need t provide n protect d family unit seeing men are physically ,on d general, stronger than females
Also, contrary t popular assertations here,d typical African society was quite protective of d rights of d woman even within d gender roles but yet not restrictive.
In how many societies of old have u had women of prominence as many as are in Africa viz Queen Lamina,Bilikisu ?Erondu of Yoruba land, Gbenekawa (who is worshipped as a deity) of Ogoni or which other cultures across d world had women groups or societies that wielded political clout e.g. d Ada Societies of IBO land
These were in place f a reason...so there could be Stability.
Honestly don't know wat all d hullabaloo is about cos like I said, d ideals of d feminists keeps shifting with the seasons.

Someone Should Answer the question or let's all let it be.

Am Waiting...

So all women have a loving and nurturing nature? Really?

So being loving and nurturing qualifies you for house chores?

By the way, what is all this talk about hunting?
Are we talking about the 21st century or not?
Do you still go hunting?

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:
This is what you said:
and I said, "whether or not you were taught to woo."

Not plain enough? Maybe you should revisit previous posts.
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 14, 2014
[quote author=carefreewannabe post=27998126][/quote]That was me setting you straight on a question I didn't ask you. *smh
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 14, 2014
Zexten:

Actually you're very wrong.
1. Traditional African society wasn't very patriarchal.

2. Women in the Mali Empire for instance were allowed to own property.

3. When it came to equality, African societies were more progressive than Europe and the Middle Eastern Empires of the time.
1. But it was patriarchal, wasn't it? A patriarchal society is what it is, comparison is terms of degree of patriarchy from one society to another is not the subject of this thread and, even if it were, doesn't make me wrong. In fact, it paints the illogic your comment.

2. Women throughout history have owned property even the Europeans who you claimed were less egalitarian than Africans.

3. Debatable.
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by dBard: 7:45am On Nov 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

So all women have a loving and nurturing nature? Really?

So being loving and nurturing qualifies you for house chores?

By the way, what is all this talk about hunting?
Are we talking about the 21st century or not?
Do you still go hunting?

S.m.h..

O.k.
You win..men are evil,women are wonderful
Comprehension on d oda hand is a Bitch.

Enjoy..

1 Like

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:52am On Nov 14, 2014
dBard:

S.m.h..

O.k.
You win..men are evil,women are wonderful
Comprehension on d oda hand is a Bitch.

Enjoy..

@bold

I disagree.

And I cannot understand how you reached this conclusion.
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:
That was me setting you straight on a question I didn't ask you. *smh

Ok, please explain what wooing has to do with feminism now.

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 14, 2014
Zexten:

Yes, that's what we want. Why? Because nature gave us an equitable system. Slightly different roles, but abilities and adaptation to make tem insignificant and trivial. We don't need to "earn" what you have systematically "taken away" from us.
We didn't take shiit, you people just chose to ride on the back of the success of men and expect the same respect, since you're not getting it you've developed penis-envy. Well, there's equality in the west, let's see what the women in those lands contribute to the human race by way of inventions and innovation in the next 20years. Scratch that, I dare you to contribute anything tangible to your immediate community. You can't and you won't becase it's not your cup of tea. Meanwhile, there are people, men, of course, who will sacrifice their time to do so and succeed at it. You are a woman, the best you'll ever be is a woman. You may envy my diick and try a sex change but deep down, it's just an artificial diick. wink

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Ok, please explain what wooing has to do with feminism now.
maybe when you answer my question smiley
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 7:56am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:

1. But it was patriarchal, wasn't it? A patriarchal society is what it is, comparison is terms of degree of patriarchy from one society to another is not the subject of this thread and, even if it were, doesn't make me wrong. In fact, it paints the illogic your comment.

2. Women throughout history have owned property even the Europeans who you claimed were less egalitarian than Africans.

3. Debatable.

Lol. I assure you if you take a crash course in history, you will learn how wrong you are. Awks that a woman is educating you, innit?

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:
maybe when you answer my question smiley

I have. Read. wink
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 8:01am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:
We didn't take shiit, you people just chose to ride on the back of the success of men and expect the same respect, since you're not getting it you've developed penis-envy. Well, there's equality in the west, let's see what the women in those lands contribute to the human race by way of inventions and innovation in the next 20years. Scratch that, I dare you to contribute anything tangible to your immediate community. You can't and you won't becase it's not your cup of tea. Meanwhile, there are people, men, of course, who will sacrifice their time to do so and succeed at it. You are a woman, the best you'll ever be is a woman. You may envy my diick and try a sex change but deep down, it's just an artificial diick. wink

You don't read much, do you? Again, terrible claims.
First, a little history would show you how women have been disadvantaged over the centuries millenia even). Historians agree - both male and female, black and white.
Women have been doing phenomenal stuff. In politics, Literature, other branches of Arts, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Business. Just name it. You're about to ask me for a list? And I just would realize how ignorant you are. You know this? Then there is no argument, hun?

4 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:

Let us see what and how many Nigerian men will "contribute to the human race by way of inventions and innovations in the next 20 years".

What have they contributed anyway so far? They have been free to do it for centuries. What have they achieved?

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 14, 2014
Zexten:

1. Lol. I assure you if you take a crash course in history, you will learn how wrong you are.
2. Awks that a woman is educating you, innit?
1. Feel free to prove that African society wasn't patriarchal.

2. Nah, I don't hate women. I'm disgusted by people who feel entitlted to what they haven't legitimately earned. wink. Spot the difference.

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by dBard: 8:03am On Nov 14, 2014
Zexten:

Actually you're <b> very </b> wrong. Traditional African society wasn't very patriarchal. Women in the Mali Empire for instance were allowed to own property. When it came to equality, African societies were more progressive than Europe and the Middle Eastern Empires of the time.

Thank You.

Peeps just talk without reading up on their history.
I've said it n will stand by it..I've not come across societies that were more protective of female rights than African societies and to a large extent, that MENTALITY hasn't changed.
In Iboland, I think, d woman is allowed to share the properties she has acquired t her children n d husband/or soda members of d family has no right to it,unlike f d man whom by law is required t share according t d no. Of wives n children he has.

Like I said b4, don't know wat all d B.S is about. If u want respect,Work f it..it's that simple.
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 14, 2014
dBard:

Thank You.

I've said it n will stand by it..I've not come across societies that were more protective of female rights than African societies and to a large extent, that MENTALITY hasn't changed.
In Iboland, I think, d woman is allowed to share the properties she has acquired t her children n d husband/or soda members of d family has no right to it,unlike f d man whom by law is required t share according t d no. Of wives n children he has.

Like I said b4, don't know wat all d B.S is about. If u want respect,Work f it..it's that simple.

Skip the History lessons and face the present times.

(May 06, 2014) On April 14, 2014, the Nigerian Supreme Court, in a unanimous decision, confirmed decisions of two lower courts, which had found unconstitutional an Igbo customary law of succession excluding female offspring from eligibility to inherit the property of their fathers. (Lemmy Ughegbe, S'Court Upholds Female Child's Right to Inheritance in Igboland, THE GUARDIAN (Apr. 15, 2014).)

http://www.loc.gov/lawweb/servlet/lloc_news?disp3_l205403968_text

So women in Nigeria have to go to court to be included in their father's inheritance?
And you call it fair and protective?

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 8:10am On Nov 14, 2014
dBard:
I am sick and tired of all these feminist for and against arguments n hate getting drawn into them,but since am here, lemme ask, can one of d 'feminists' here be bold enuff to give 5 examples of what n where they demand Equal rights in

Gender roles, like d poster opined, are Time honoured cos people recognized early enuff d Limitations Specific to each Gender and sought to build/ ;maximize each genders potential.
How is it wrong, seeing d caring,nurturing nature of d female folks to teach n encourage her in housekeeping,
Or seeing how restless n adventurous d typical male is,to give him bow n arrows n throw him t d bush to hunt or to emphasize d need t provide n protect d family unit seeing men are physically ,on d general, stronger than females
Also, contrary t popular assertations here,d typical African society was quite protective of d rights of d woman even within d gender roles but yet not restrictive.
In how many societies of old have u had women of prominence as many as are in Africa viz Queen Lamina,Bilikisu ?Erondu of Yoruba land, Gbenekawa (who is worshipped as a deity) of Ogoni or which other cultures across d world had women groups or societies that wielded political clout e.g. d Ada Societies of IBO land
Honestly don't know wat all d hullabaloo is about cos like I said, d ideals of d feminists keeps shifting with the seasons.

Am Waiting...

The underlying theme is the same, mister. The fight for equality of the genders.

No, the male isn't anymore adventurous than the female or the female a better care giver. All of these things are social constructs.
I don't know if you're limited in your abilities. You said d Limitations Specific to each Gender. As a human, I am not in anyway limited in my abilities. I can adapt so easily. The brain, thank God is so intricately woven and complex and adaptable to a myriad of situations - danger, fear, love, care, courage. All sorts. We are flexible beyond measure, that's what makes us human and special. If we are constricted and limited in our abilities then we are nothing more than animals - with not well-developed brains. So if you think you can't adapt yourself to show love or learn how to cook in a few weeks - you know nurturing and caring and housekeeping - then it's only because you don't have a well matured brain yet. Don't feel bad though, it might take some time.

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by bukatyne(f): 8:10am On Nov 14, 2014
dBard:

Thank You.

What work did men do to earn their respect?

I will appreciate a straight answer.

I was just passing by and saw this.

Thanks
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 8:13am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:

1. Feel free to prove that African society wasn't patriarchal.

2. Nah, I don't hate women. I'm disgusted by people who feel entitlted to what they haven't legitimately earned. wink. Spot the difference.

Who said anything about you hating women? Comprehension skills too? Cmon, don't let a woman keep schooling you. Or wait, just maybe women are as smart as men - or as knowledgeable. Which would kinda mean women can have great minds and diverse minds and do exploits. Which might mean women can be leaders too. Have you given that any thought? Maybe women and men are fundamentally equally. At least in all that matters, centered around intelligence.

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

1. Let us see what and how many Nigerian men will "contribute to the human race by way of inventions and innovations in the next 20 years".

2. What have they contributed anyway so far? They have been free to do it for centuries. What have they achieved?

1. But you don't see Nigerian men weeping and whinging for equality do you? Have you heard of Europe for Africa(feminist equivalent: he for she) or any such nonsense? Nigerian men are content with proving themselves equal or, at least, admitting and conceding when we fall short. You don't see us acting all entitled an shiit. tongue

2. If anything our failure to catch up with 1st world nations is an embarrassment to us not a call to delusion that there's some kind of European/White conspiracy to subjugate the Nigerian. We understand that we are lagging behind through our actions and inactions. You don't see us matching to the United Nations to force oyinbos to give us what they've earned. We respect them for whatever they have achieve, and whatever envy we may feel is an indictment on our shortcomings. We are men, we can hardly afford delusions. I wish I could say the same for your ilk.

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 8:18am On Nov 14, 2014
dBard:

Am Waiting...

Oh! And for situations where we demand equal rights?

1. Girls should not be bought only baby dolls as toys. Let them have access to a diverse amounts of toys to shape their minds in preparedness for fields ranging from the arts to the sciences
2. Women should not be discriminated against at work and should be allowed to rise through the ranks and attain leadership roles
3. women should not be blamed when raped. men should learn to control their bodies - they can, they aren't animals
4. Women should not be looked down upon when contesting political office. In the history of Nigeria, still no single female governor, talk less of VP or President
5. Women should not be told that marriage defines them. Let them pick for themselves what defines them and what doesn't, what they like and what they don't.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Zexten(f): 8:21am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:

1. But you don't see Nigerian men weeping and whinging for equality do you? Have you heard of Europe for Africa(feminist equivalent: he for she) or any such nonsense? Nigerian men are content with proving themselves equal or, at least, admitting and conceding when we fall short. You don't see us acting all entitled an shiit. tongue

2. If anything our failure to catch up with 1st world nations is an embarrassment to us not a call to delusion that there's some kind of European/White conspiracy to subjugate the Nigerian. We understand that we are lagging behind through our actions and inactions. You don't see us matching to the United Nations to force oyinbos to give us what they've earned. We respect them for whatever they have achieve, and whatever envy we may feel is an indictment on our shortcomings. We are men, we can hardly afford delusions. I wish I could say the same for your ilk.

Well but we see Nigerian men whining about how they detest feminism. Instead for them to change the world,t hey are scared like puppies of what the women folk can do if not restricted. No?
Also, you don't go out much I see. There are a crap ton of Nigerian men who blame colonialism for the woes of the African state. See? See?

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 14, 2014
freshdude2:

Why would they want equality when inequality favors them? Logic?

Nigerian men are not whining that they have been the victims of white nations? Yeah, sure! grin

What have you as a man earned and achieved that I want you to give me?

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by dBard: 8:23am On Nov 14, 2014
Men systematically took away d rights of woman undecided
How
Has d African woman not always Had a Voice.
Weren't there female societies to that purpose??
Who is presently ruling d country? grin

As much as dre patriarchal, weren't dre also matrilineal societies as well #Ghana.

You talk abt d present, aren't there More women in positions of authority than ever before

Let's get something's straight; As long as there are Gender Specific Limitations, there Can NEVER be absolute equality.
There are privileges associated with each sex, embrace it, maximise ur potential thru it n live your life.

Food f that...if d female situation in Africa was so bad,or their rights so trampled underfoot, feminism would've had it's roots/begun here.
Re: I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 14, 2014
Zexten:

Who said anything about you hating women? Comprehension skills too? Cmon, don't let a woman keep schooling you. Or wait, just maybe women are as smart as men - or as knowledgeable. Which would kinda mean women can have great minds and diverse minds and do exploits. Which might mean women can be leaders too. Have you given that any thought? Maybe women and men are fundamentally equally. At least in all that matters, centered around intelligence.
You said "awks you're been educated by a woman" to which I gave that response. Apparently, I'd have to hate or have contempt for women to find one educating me awkward. But I'm the one with comprehension problems grin. Park well. And oh, I have no problem with a woman schooling me.

Women may be as smart as men or smarter, pray tell, what has that contributed to society? How much do women contribute to the real sector of the economy of the world as a whole in comparison to men's? Reminds one of the 3 year old extra tutoring thread. Funny.

Women have and are leaders, Margaret Thatcher for one, again ratio and proportion(primary 4 maths).

Women have always been intelligent, one wonders, therefore, how they came to be "oppressed" by the man. Surely, they could have fought oppression from as far as it's inception, no?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Girl In Abuja Cannot Locate Her Home & Parents(Pics) / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 8 Years Of Waiting / Should I Get My Brother's Wife Arrested, After His Demise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.