Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? (21575 Views)

Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
All they know how to do best is money money money.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Tovot: 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
@op its the type of tailors you hv been patronizing. Not all tailors are unreliable. I am a tailor and I know my onions, if you bring a material to me to make for and I know I am too busy, I ld tell you to come back. But some customers are so sturbon ,they like emergency work. They ld bring a cloth today and want to collect it tomorrow, pls am not a magician na, I have other dresses to make too na. So consider the situation the tailor is in atimes.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Francon(f): 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
I have had some bitter experiences with them especially during wedding and christmas period. Imagine after they over bill u, you come back to find your cloth/es untouched. Especially when its very urgent. Some will choose to sew it in front of you while others sew under pressure and end up messing it up. Some days, u will come there to meet your clothes not ironed and you will have no option than to start fight wirh them.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by SirGiftUduak(m): 1:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
honestly speaking i was thinking that am the only one who's experienced it thank God you captured my attention tody!

like seriously it has became a Norm with this tailors... Thy dont respond or finish a work that is bin givn to dem on time dont just know why.. i think thats the nature of the work

[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
silvoice:
Nigerian Tailors & Disappointment: Work Hazard Or Laziness?

Since I was born, now I'm getting old, I've never given a local fashion designer (tailor) a material and had the clothing delivered on time without one or two stories. What's your experience with them? Is it the nature of the work or are most of them lazy?

Depends on the tailor. Some of them are very very good. Many...particularly the young apprentices who left Master's shop early....are not too good.

Ultimately, the problem is a lack of good technical and vocational education.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by geosegun(m): 1:39pm On Nov 14, 2014
I have a Tailor who rarely fails hos appointments, If he can make it He will let you know before he collects the Job. This is real and i'm not joking. He is always very busy as a result of this and handle jobs for the BIG Boys. He is very good at it.

You may want to put this to test. A trial will convince you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by PastorPLC: 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
Just yesterday night I went to my tailor hoping he had finished the job. I got disappointed. Now, I had to take my flight from PH to Lagos leaving the material in Port Harcourt. I am traveling back to Sweden tomorrow and couldn't collect my clothe. My younger one is sure of taking it over.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Lovexme(m): 1:42pm On Nov 14, 2014
Presently at loggerhead with one. Told him to either bring my cloth ASAP or don't bother again.

On top my own property undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by geosegun(m): 1:42pm On Nov 14, 2014
I have a Tailor who rarely fails his appointments, If he can make it He will let you know before he collects the Job. This is real and i'm not joking. He is always very busy as a result of this and handle jobs for the BIG Boys. He is very good at it.

You may want to put this to test. A trial will convince you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
Seems like am d only Nigerian who has not tasted d "unreliabilty" of Nigerian tailors bcs they r always on time wit mine.

God help me not to oh as I have no patience wit incompetence...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by PastorPLC: 1:44pm On Nov 14, 2014
Don't like to comment on everything, but this affected me just last night, and I was highly provoked.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
It's not a problem relating to tailors only - it's one of artisans in general, and it is because service standards in general are poor. People only improve their service when a better competitor comes along and threatens to kick them out of business. Thanks to the multinationals / foreign owned companies in this country, many local companies have had to improve their standards. Those that haven't improved have been relegated to the backseat or have been totally kicked out (fast food industry, for example).

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by godsveryown(f): 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
winkTypical of cheap tailors
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Tovot: 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
Its a lie cheesy, do you know the materials and cost in making a dress? You people that are always complaining about money are the ones that will be choosing difficult style tongue
sauceny:
All they know how to do best is money money money.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by cooljoe(m): 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2014
And Nigerian laundry, and Nigerian politicians, and Nigerian leaders, and Nigerian PHCN workers, and Nigerian police, y r dey all so unreliable?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by jireh250: 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2014
Mine aren't! Always on point.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by eleko1: 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2014
?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Dreyl(m): 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2014
silvoice:
Nigerian Tailors & Disappointment: Work Hazard Or Laziness?

Since I was born, now I'm getting old, I've never given a local fashion designer (tailor) a material and had the clothing delivered on time without one or two stories. What's your experience with them? Is it the nature of the work or are most of them lazy?
very true!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by CashCow77(m): 1:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
My dear brother, I can understand your frustration. I have never given a material cloth to any tailor, I don't want to send any tailor to jail for not being competent, hence I buy already made English clothes. I don't have a single native wear in my clothe collections because of their incompetence. Oyibo na oyibo, black man na black man. Na so!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 14, 2014
If your Tailor has never disappointed you, he aint good!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by kaching1(m): 1:52pm On Nov 14, 2014
Naija Tailors- "over promise and under deliver" I retrieved my material from one two days ago. It is quite rare to find a dedicated artisan.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by temhab(f): 1:52pm On Nov 14, 2014
I gave one tailor my ankara since three weeks now
Mind you I'm still charging my phone

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by ayesco202(m): 1:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
I swear if I go back 2 dat useless tailor and he doesn't provide my cloth.....sumtin go shele walahi....4 d past 2month..dis guy nova finish jst 1 trouser...av gone der more than 7times, its either 1 story or anoda...dey are all liars.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by vision2050: 1:56pm On Nov 14, 2014
Tailor lying to clients since the day of Noah. dem lie pass politician own. I gave one trouser just to repair the zip; after two weeks the work is undone.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by sukkot: 1:58pm On Nov 14, 2014
PastorPLC:
Just yesterday night I went to my tailor hoping he had finished the job. I got disappointed. Now, I had to take my flight from PH to Lagos leaving the material in Port Harcourt. I am traveling back to Sweden tomorrow and couldn't collect my clothe. My younger one is sure of taking it over.
malmo ?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by ppacey(f): 2:01pm On Nov 14, 2014
tailors can b so unreliable. my uncle was to do his wedding Nd the tailor he gave his cloth had not even started sowing the suit, on the wedding day on Saturday we had to wait nd wait dat the bride started shedding tears because dat was a bad omen. dat day the groom had to borrow a suite from somebody dat came for the wedding, and the best-man dat went to collect the cloth didn't come until the middle of the wedding, somebody dat also came for the wedding had to be the best man. it almost started a fight between Dem cos wen d original best man came he demanded for his position bt the other guy refused to return the position back to him , so dey had to beg him to leave it for the new guy . since he had started he can't stop

so my advise to my fellow Nigerians ND nairalanders is that wen u need ur cloth two-three months from dat time, u can give give it to Ur tailor , bt wen u need the cloth urgently , pleaseeeeee don't even think of giving it to them or u will have yourself to blame
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by coolvitus(m): 2:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
But what pains me is dt na them go tell u to come collect am but na them go fall ur hand.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
Well to be fair not all of them are unreliable. I know it's hard to find a reliable tailor in Nigeria but it is possible. The problem with most Nigerian tailors is usually over work. They take more than they can do -always. They dunno how to say no or say "sorry I'm extremely busy and I won't be able to deliver"- they'd actually disappoint a customer than say those words. It is indeed sad.

I wish they'd employ more hands or simply stop taking more than they can do.

I rarely do trads by the way, so them tailors can keep fooling themselves. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2014
It's not a problem relating to tailors only - it's one
of artisans in general, and this normally happens when people don't have passion for whatever work they do. They venture into it simply because they heard it's lucrative.
Most tailors only get busy when they sight their customers coming, once you leave they will face another work.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 14, 2014
Most NIGERIAN TAILORS LIE more than d devil..
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by donigspain2(m): 2:07pm On Nov 14, 2014
[size=18pt]Don't generalise please... You haven't tried me![/size]

Just follow this link to my thread >>> https://www.nairaland.com/1927087/aba-made-shirts-best-tailors-nigeria#26749405

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ugochi Ihezue Wins Miss Universe Nigeria 2023 / Best And Worst Dressed At FOZ Album Launch / What Color Are Yur Nails?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.