Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! (14433 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? / Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Divaifylor(f): 7:26am On Feb 14, 2012
I wouldn't know if this topic has been treated b4 but I would like 2 speak on it anyway. First of all, what is it with Nigerian tailors and y are they so problematic? I would like u pple 2 share ur frustrating experiences with ur various tailors,how many tailors u've had (starting from d ones ur parens took u 2),how u felt each time a tailor frustrated u,how often u change tailors,if those frustrating experiences have reduced d number of clothes u sew,what have u done in order 2 avoid problematic tailors
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Chizee01: 10:32am On Feb 14, 2012
U feel like killing the tailor cry
I learnt to buy already made English wear or buy Nigerian designers though expensive its worth the money
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Divaifylor(f): 3:09am On Feb 15, 2012
I feel like a little designer each time I come up with a style 2 sew unlike when I wear already made clothes,so no matter whhat Nigerian tailors do they can't dampen my 'sewing spirit'
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by kemmeye: 11:40pm On Feb 15, 2012
well they always manage by one means or another to ruin a perfectly good dress
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by richkids1(m): 1:22pm On Feb 17, 2012
Nigerian Tailors get too much of problems, especially giving you what is not good and saying it is the best on earth. I prefer ready made to Nigerian made stuffs. But, there are still some who can still do the best, but they are not many.

Thanks for this topic smiley
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Honeycity(f): 1:26pm On Feb 17, 2012
some tailors can be so annoying and in order to avoid having anything to do with them i enrolled for a weekend tailoring class, i also bought a new sewing machine. Right now i have no reason  to visit any tailor cus i make my own cloth  cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by amtheone(m): 1:36pm On Feb 17, 2012
I try everything within my power not to have anything to do with them. Their stories are endless.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by binigirl(f): 1:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
I remember one time i went 2 a tailor and gave her d design i wanted, she ended up sewing smth else all 2geda & so i left d material 4 her & had 2 use smth else 4 d event i needed d cloth 4 cry cry cry
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by anishe(m): 1:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
what is this topic doing on the front page? RUBBISH

Small time, you will start talking about ''mama put''

nairaland, the online beer parlour. anything goes.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by maki(f): 2:02pm On Feb 17, 2012
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by denony(m): 2:07pm On Feb 17, 2012
I loose my temper on one of them
pack every cloth in his shop.
when he came to get them back
i beat the hell outa him.

Imagine the idiot transacted my material
and was telling me bulshit.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Dyt(f): 2:20pm On Feb 17, 2012
^^ hmmm
quite harsh
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by chinnyonwu(m): 2:30pm On Feb 17, 2012
Ɩ☺Ɩ, its funny u said we should share our frustratin moments. Anyways since I've been in the university, I buy all my clothes. No time for tailors anymore
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by poby(m): 2:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
A tailor once exchanged my christmas cloth with someone else's, very annoying.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by slimyem: 2:35pm On Feb 17, 2012
i cannot count how many tailors i've had a fight with over the years.
Its either they delay making my clothes or sew what i didnt request.
There was even one who after taking my measurement decided to add 2 inches to every figure of measurement because she thought those sizes couldnt be mine.when i saw the dresses,they looked like my blanket and readjusting worsened them the more.
I finally found a good tailor abt 4 yrs ago but then i had to leave that environment.
Now,m on a search for another one in my present area and my efforts have been futile so far.
May God help me this time.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by adaezefav(f): 2:42pm On Feb 17, 2012
I am a tailor, i dnt disappoint except during my exams cos am a student. I make good dress. U cant reach tru dis num, 07057430302. My my is Adaeze but i resides in d east, aba to be precise.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Sweetlemon(f): 2:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
the problem with them is that they only care about getting new customers. they dont care about their old customers, they take them for granted. this is a very silly and expensive mistake.
I have learned never to have any particular tailor and I make all my tailors know that they have comeptition. The day you start being loyal to one tailor is the day they will start taking you for granted.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by candylips(m): 3:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
i sabi sew well well
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by 4teelaw(f): 4:12pm On Feb 17, 2012
my mother in law's tailor who sewed my engagement attire made 2 wrappers instead of a skirt and a wrapper. I had never worn wrappers in my life! and it was too late to adjust it, so i decided to manage it.
However, i was a wreck because the wrappers ended up falling from my waist during the ceremony embarassed. other woman had to organize a scarf to help hold up the inner wrapper! the worst thing, she didnt even put ropes to hold the wrapper, after changing the style.

morrafkng tailors!!
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by wakabout(m): 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2012
Dont even go there. If I use the word "hate", it might sound too harsh to describe my feelings to my present tailor. Right now, as I write, I just bought some materials today, to give to my tailor. But hey, I'm so scared how long and how many stories he'd tell me before the clothes are finally ready. If I want to use a cloth, say like May, I had better give it to him now, in February, even then, we will still fight before the clothes would be ready. I've introduced many friends to him becos he's good in designs, (which is why its difficult changing him) but none of those friends go to him anymore. They couldn't bear his unseriousness. I've had to use another cloth for a particular occasion becos my tailor failed me.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by owochy(m): 7:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
God bless you for this thread, I am currently looking for my tailor who decided to abscond with over 30 customers' materials. Heard he spoilt a customer's very very very expensive material and the guy deciced to gbe ja, Unfortunately,my wife & I will be needing the clothes tomorrow
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Tinyemeka(m): 8:00pm On Feb 17, 2012
Hmmm, I'm surprised to read all these negative comments about tailors. Mine has never disappointed before. Fact is the guy has always even exceeded my expectations. He's the only one I use for now even though he is located in another state. So I usually just chill and give him the materials to sew whenever I travel to Umuahia.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Coefficient(m): 8:11pm On Feb 17, 2012
I once had a nasty tailor inside cpu village. Mehn dis guy's second name is disappointment! While I ws still lamenting his failure to make my cloth whch I ws jst gon wear later, an angry groom came to tear dwn his sh.it hole (shop) because he didn't make his suit n dos of d groom's men 4 d weddn last weekend. The poor man dissed his honeymoon for a showdown. Guess wat? Theophilus showed no emotion!
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Lalaska(m): 8:16pm On Feb 17, 2012
Not all Nigerian Tailors are bad. My tailor delivers the exact way i want him and my clothes are always fitting. However, the only issue is that of delay which i believe is inherent in every person that does handwork. I adopted a strategy below: I agree with the tailor for the dress to be ready 2 weeks before the actual day i need it. This has effectively factored in any disappointment.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Tinyemeka(m): 8:27pm On Feb 17, 2012
Lalaska:

Not all Nigerian Tailors are bad. My tailor delivers the exact way i want him and my clothes are always fitting. However, the only issue is that of delay which i believe is inherent in every person that does handwork. I adopted a strategy below: I agree with the tailor for the dress to be ready 2 weeks before the actual day i need it. This has effectively factored in any disappointment.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said especially as regards factoring in an additional time period to cover for delays. So if you have an engagement coming up say at the end of the month, submit your material on time and hammer the tailor to have it ready by 20th. So that way, even if the tailor is late by a week, you still have some extra time for him/her to make adjustments to your work if any is required.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by topsywest(m): 8:45pm On Feb 17, 2012
Hmmm. Nice topic. This nasty experience stands out in my memory:

Long time ago when I was about 17 some 13 years ago, I had my first job as a primary school teacher. A colleague was to get married and she selected the aso ebi of which Inwas given my share. This is over a full month to the wedding!

Gave my material to this elderly dude in my neighborhood and deposited half of the required amount with assurances from the him that it will be ready within two weeks.

To cut a long story short, on the morning of the wedding, I was at the tailor's shop to collect my already sewn cloth only to find him just sewing the it.

I almost collapsed but left his shop in rage. Ended up wearing another cloth to the wedding. A day after, I was passing his shop when he beckoned on me to come and collect the cloth, I respectfully told him that that was no longer necessary as my aim for purchasing the cloth in the first place has been defeated.

As a 17 yr old boy, he thought I was joking but realized I was serious as i kept ignoring him whenever he brought up the issue.

He reported the case to my Dad ( after he had of course threatened to do so) whom he asked to prevail on me to collect the clothes but my Dad simply told him I was matured enough to take certain decisions on my own, more over, he wasn't the one that bought the cloth material for me.

Today, this tailor is still in that shop, and to make things worst, I have my current tailor in a much younger guy who is just beside him and he sees me when ever i come to pick up already sewn clothes. He also knows I introduced some of my colleagues and most of my church members who admire my way of dressing, to that guy.

Can't imagine what goes on in his mind anytime I park my ride in front of his shop only to enter his neighbor's shop, Jeez!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by gtrust: 9:10pm On Feb 17, 2012
Cameroonian, Beninior and many Francophone Tailors are very good!
They spend time to learn the job,
they take it seriously and most of them are in it (tailoring) for life
and not some make-shift until they can 'make it thru some miracle'!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by cheikh: 9:24pm On Feb 17, 2012
gtrust
Cameroonian, Beninior and many Francophone Tailors are very good!
They spend time to learn the job,
they take it seriously and most of them are in it (tailoring) for life
and not some make-shift until they can 'make it thru some miracle'!

@^^+1000 Gbam!!!
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Tinyemeka(m): 9:35pm On Feb 17, 2012
topsywest:

Hmmm. Nice topic. This nasty experience stands out in my memory:

Long time ago when I was about 17 some 13 years ago, I had my first job as a primary school teacher. A colleague was to get married and she selected the aso ebi of which Inwas given my share. This is over a full month to the wedding!

Gave my material to this elderly dude in my neighborhood and deposited half of the required amount with assurances from the him that it will be ready within two weeks.

To cut a long story short, on the morning of the wedding, I was at the tailor's shop to collect my already sewn cloth only to find him just sewing the it.

I almost collapsed but left his shop in rage. Ended up wearing another cloth to the wedding. A day after, I was passing his shop when he beckoned on me to come and collect the cloth, I respectfully told him that that was no longer necessary as my aim for purchasing the cloth in the first place has been defeated.

As a 17 yr old boy, he thought I was joking but realized I was serious as i kept ignoring him whenever he brought up the issue.

He reported the case to my Dad ( after he had of course threatened to do so) whom he asked to prevail on me to collect the clothes but my Dad simply told him I was matured enough to take certain decisions on my own, more over, he wasn't the one that bought the cloth material for me.

Today, this tailor is still in that shop, and to make things worst, I have my current tailor in a much younger guy who is just beside him and he sees me when ever i come to pick up already sewn clothes. He also knows I introduced some of my colleagues and most of my church members who admire my way of dressing, to that guy.

Can't imagine what goes on in his mind anytime I park my ride in front of his shop only to enter his neighbor's shop, Jeez!

Sorry it's not related to the topic but I need to get something right here. You claim in your post to be male, but your profile indicates that you are female. Which are you?
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by madprof(m): 8:46am On Feb 18, 2012
The last time I took business to any tailor was 1992, when I gave a tailor material to sew my graduation suit. In short, the the guy kept on giving excuses until one day he simply disappeared into thin air. Since that day I have never, ever given and will never, ever give any tailor material to sew. I always buy readymade clothes and they're good enough for me - I'm not much of a clothes person anyway.
What happens now is that my wife goes to the market, buys material, takes it to a tailor who already has my measurements. All I know is that she eventually brings back a sewn dress for me to wear. I don't know who sewed it and I don't care. The only time I visit a tailor is if my wife is choosing a new tailor who will take my measurements. She chooses the style, material, e.t.c. Frankly, I don't know why she even bothers. I have zero regard for tailors. They are a bunch of disappointing liars. I vowed since 1992 never to subject myself to any tailor's waiting game. I have no patience for people whose word you can never hold on to.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by topsywest(m): 1:57pm On Feb 18, 2012
Tinyemeka:

Sorry it's not related to the topic but I need to get something right here. You claim in your post to be male, but your profile indicates that you are female. Which are you?

@Tinyemeka, Am actually a full blown guy. The F status from my wife whose profile I inherited since I can't remember when, Hope that satisfies your curiosity!
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by madprof(m): 10:34pm On Feb 18, 2012
@topsywest,
You inherited your wife's profile and her sex too? What would it take you to just change an "f" to an "m"? Or better still, open your own sign-on account? You sure sound like a girl, especially from your story of "teaching primary school", "collecting aso ebi" for wedding and what-not. cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Most Beautiful Models In Africa / Chukwudozie Violet Wins Face Of Omambala Nigeria Pageant / Joshua Agai - A Male Model Releases More Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.