Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? (21576 Views)

Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by kingphilip(m): 4:56am On Nov 15, 2014
nothing we no go c for front-page
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by wordbank(m): 5:34am On Nov 15, 2014
this is why I do call Marc Jacobs any day anytime
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Onegai(f): 6:48am On Nov 15, 2014
There's something wrong with them.

I gave one 4 different materials and some of the money in June, he told me "first week of July, come back".
In August, I showed up. Not only had he not even cut it down, but he decided to change one style for one of the dresses and started arguing with me that I was the one who made the mistake.
In September I went there, screamed and screamed and took 2 of the materials away. He swore in a week that he will finish the 2 left.

By October, I went and sat the day there. So he finally started sewing them (and gave one to his girl to sew). When he heard me on the phone asking my friend for another tailor to sew some wediing clothes I had, he began to complain "na dis ordinary, small matter wey dey make u leave my shop go do business outside, e good?"

I could have slapped him. I took a friend there in June, when she saw what I was going through, she started looking for another tailor.

Nigerian artisans don't believe in doing a job well. Then they complain they're not making money, run to mosque/church to start praying for business.

Do you know now that all those big tailors in Ikeja and on the island hire Togolese, Beninoise, Filipino and Chinese tailors? I met some, the sewing is neat, those guys take pride in their work, the jobs get done on time. All the designers said working with Nigerian artisans was a nightmare. More artisan jobs are going to foreigners, while Nigerians will be disturbing God with prayers and shrieks for work (when it is their own fault no-one can hire them).

Same thing with carpentry, a number of foreigners are now setting up carpentry shops. Nigerian carpenters will now start trying to guilt you about patronising them over "your country people". Mstchewwww.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by onelife97: 7:13am On Nov 15, 2014
LAZY.
silvoice:
Nigerian Tailors & Disappointment: Work Hazard Or Laziness?

Since I was born, now I'm getting old, I've never given a local fashion designer (tailor) a material and had the clothing delivered on time without one or two stories. What's your experience with them? Is it the nature of the work or are most of them lazy?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 15, 2014
EBUBS:
I've made clothes that people don't wanna pay and collect, if you really want your cloths made pay up a tailor and see what happens.
...even after making the cloth ready, they will give you reasons why they have to pay half of the money and keep the rest till they bring another cloth, so annoying

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by akankemi1(f): 9:11am On Nov 15, 2014
I thot I was d only one grossly disappointed in naija tailors. they re the worst artisan ever. I have decided to take a few tailoring class just yesterday. what I went thru yesterday with 2 tailors was horrible. I almost cursed them.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by adunjong(m): 10:06am On Nov 15, 2014
Tailors...
forget them...
Their own na story of the gods!
It seems as if they always undergo a professional course in lying!
You wouldn't believed that the best lies I ever heard is from my daddy ( an award winning professional designer for over 3 decades) to his customers.
The worst part of it is that i can't take my clothes to him because I can't remember the countless number of times my old boy has disappointed me and told a lie to me over my dresses.
They are the most gifted liars God ever created!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by silvoice(m): 10:30am On Nov 15, 2014
Oga tailor thank you ooh! 4 d disapointment. because u hav made mr silvoice 2 hit front page. Kpele ooh! Nndo ooh!, sorry ooh! Infact, i hereby permit u 2 disapoint me on d senator-native- shirt u say i wil tak 2morro. No yawa!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Revolva(m): 12:51pm On Nov 15, 2014
@OP..why complain every thing Nigerian tailor everything nigerian doctors everytime...i beg make una find something talk jare....is there any one perfect
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by silvoice(m): 3:56pm On Nov 15, 2014
Revolva:
@OP..why complain every thing Nigerian tailor everything nigerian doctors everytime...i beg make una find something talk jare....is there any one perfect
sorry ooh! Ibe lik say u be one of them.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 15, 2014
Since primary school
Ojestas:
Lying . . One core ethic u must learn to be a tailor. Tailors can lie,, Chai!!. When i was in primary school,My tailor asked me to come for ny uniform on Monday morning. i went on Sunday evenin to remind him, he assured me he's almost done with it, just to fix the button. I hardly slept cos i was happy i was going to put on a new uniform to school the following morning #U know that kind feeling now. In short, the following morning, i went home to meet the tailor, followed him to shop,,only to realize he didn't know where he put the pieces of the clotH. Mheeen, i was mad . I actually didn't go to school that day. .my Expectation was Cut short then.. . Since then, i stopped believing tailors.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Ojestas(m): 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2014
sweetylicious:
Since primary school
Yulz. . U r beautiful grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by ceeceeco: 9:45pm On Nov 15, 2014
Cos they're Nigerians!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by easterbabe(f): 8:20am On Nov 16, 2014
Let me list out the reasons here: - just becos the tailor can sew does not mean the tailor understands the business that uses his/her sewing skills.
- A custom service is supposed to be fully paid for in advance to enable the tailor plan his/her work properly - A tailor should have a properly laid out chart showing work due for collection and dates, do they? The answer is no! - There is need for collaboration in every creative endeavour but the tailor is usually a one man riot squad.
-The tailor charges nothing for a large chunk of service done for the client e.g a client can spend up to 2 hours of the tailor's time picking styles and discussing changes to be made for the client. How does the independent tailor succeed when he/she doesn' t get properly remunerated for his/her services?
- The tailor's tools and equipments are obsolete and outdated, so their productivity is low and when you add power issue to it......, no tailor can deliver on time!
Any serious tailor who desires upgrade/ update and how to succeed in this much needed service industry can reach me on 08023228924
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by felipemadero(m): 3:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
Hariyorh:

You mean?
just greeting you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
Ojestas:
Yulz. . U r beautiful grin
Thank you
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by nabzguy: 3:40pm On Aug 14, 2016
What surprises me often,is that most tailors waste your time taking measurement with their tapes but end up sewing with an entirely different dimensions. Most Nigerian skill workers are not diligent in work.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by SHSBeautyLounge: 4:53pm On Aug 03, 2020
I think it's because they mostly have poor training, but young Nigerian designers are taking over to change the experiences. Take for instance, Simbiat's House of Style, commonly called SHS. They don't disappoint at all. In fact they deliver within 3 days and have good customer service. The only thing is that you have to pay well for their service; which is quite reasonable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ugochi Ihezue Wins Miss Universe Nigeria 2023 / Best And Worst Dressed At FOZ Album Launch / What Color Are Yur Nails?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.