Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,393 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail (46112 Views)

Thorns Part 1 / Travail Of Agent Davis / BED OF THORNS (a short story by madgoat) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 26, 2015
Enjoyed your story.
*splendid*. Was not in support of your marriage to an igbo girl, though (not a fan of inter-ethnic copulations, no matter the excuse)
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 11:11pm On Mar 26, 2015
Danrizzle:
Enjoyed your story.
*splendid*. Was not in support of your marriage to an igbo girl, though (not a fan of inter-ethnic copulations, no matter the excuse)
You might need to reconsider your stand on that now. Look how it ended for Ojo. wink

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 11:14pm On Mar 26, 2015
Danrizzle:
Enjoyed your story.

Wow! Just wow...
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by 53cur3m0d3(m): 11:47pm On Mar 26, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE, God bless U. This is a masterpiece and I'm glad U could share your life experience with us.

If you want to go to fast in life, go alone but if you want to go far in life, go with the right partner - Bill Gates.
God chose the right partner for U bro, I know U'll forever cherish Ur marriage.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 1:22am On Mar 27, 2015
apholaryn:
gosh...I love dis story no be small..@ DOMAWOLEYE u did perfectly well...kudos to u...ride on bro..more ink to ur pen....d sky is d limit dey say..I assure u its gon b ur starting point....thanks fr d great story.
I am so flattered Boss! Thanks a bunch!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stez: 11:43am On Mar 27, 2015
*awesome* crying may last 4 a night but joy comes in d morng. A yoruba proverb says 'eni ma la ese re ma gu' every successful man has a story to tell. Doma i love ur story may ur inspiration never runs dry ijn
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 12:51pm On Mar 27, 2015
j
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2015
apholaryn:
gosh...I love dis story no be small..@ DOMAWOLEYE u did perfectly well...kudos to u...ride on bro..more ink to ur pen....d sky is d limit dey say..I assure u its gon b ur starting point....thanks fr d great story.
thanks a lot Afolarin for all your support.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by apholaryn: 2:57pm On Mar 27, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE:

thanks a lot Afolarin for all your support.
you are welcome boss...its just the fact...you are very good @ wah u do
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 3:03pm On Mar 27, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

I'm sorry but did I miss it? Where did Doma state this was his life story? Nevertheless, I've read 2 of his stories and I believe he has a good understanding of the military. Perhaps a parent or very close relation is/was a soldier. Heck he could even be the soldier or maybe he grew up in the barracks. LOL
Guy! if you open Church business you go make am o! Lol!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Jessevictor(m): 3:53pm On Mar 27, 2015
Thankz .
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by africangurl: 3:55pm On Mar 27, 2015
You did a great job. Your writing is amazing and the plot is catching. Hubby had to send me the link to go read this story and I dare say I totally enjoyed reading your story.

Permit me to add also that I am commenting for the first time on NL even though I always come on here as a guest. Your story fished me out. Thumbs up
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 5:07pm On Mar 27, 2015
africangurl:
You did a great job. Your writing is amazing and the plot is catching. Hubby had to send me the link to go read this story and I dare say I totally enjoyed reading your story.

Permit me to add also that I am commenting for the first time on NL even though I always come on here as a guest. Your story fished me out. Thumbs up
African girl. I am so flattered by ur comment. Thank you so much and God bless ur hustle. Regards to ur hubby for sending u the link. Try and read Restless! Another of my story, u may enjoy it more. Cheers!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Donpoker9(m): 6:44pm On Mar 27, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE:
Dear Peeps, I want to say a big thank you to every nairalander that has took time to read this piece. my respect and appreciation goes to every one that wrote down something to encourage or criticize me. it was wonderful. without your comments I would not have finished this Story in a March, your hunger for more spurred me into critical thinking as to what next to write and how to write it so as to worth your time. you Guys are too much. if you enjoyed this piece then I would enjoy you to read up "Restless" at https://www.nairaland.com/1789365/restless...story-survivor. I will sure complete it now that I have your backs. I was scared of Pirates before.

much Respect to the Under listed in no particular Order

Peacefulness
Stonecoldcafe.....you stuck with me from page 1.
Rocksteady1
jesuzboi
AlphaBravoIndia..........(Charly Delta.......Oscar)
Okwilliams
apholaryn
Stez
Skinnydude
53cur3m0d3
Charijee
missmossy
Ifyude
prettyjoy
wasak
Olaitan3784
demmy66
heemah
jollyjoy
Abbamizzy
Barbieniece
ezystar
agileson
Donpoker9
Slimjoe
rondo235
Anaso9
Costlybabe
prettyjoy
Crislyn
bibie01
Olanipekuntomi
sebak
onosj
Timothy313.

I also thank you for all your votes for me as the best new comer in the month of March. I hope I win. Much thanks for Cuddlemi for nominating me. you are blessed.
domawoleye@yahoo.com.

I really don't know what to type but I must say I learnt so many things from your experience... God bless you

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Vijon(m): 3:11am On Mar 28, 2015
God is really great.tanks for sharing
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 10:53pm On Mar 30, 2015
Congrats on your win bro. Big thanks to everyone who voted for op. grin
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 12:47am On Mar 31, 2015
stonecoldcafe:
Congrats on your win bro. Big thanks to everyone who voted for op. grin

A very big thank you to you and other Guys who made this to happen. God bless our hustles. You Guys rock! the feeling of being a winner is so sweet. its like I won the presidential race! Lol. thank you guys! I am most grateful.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 2:42am On Mar 31, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE:

A very big thank you to you and other Guys who made this to happen. God bless our hustles. You Guys rock! the feeling of being a winner is so sweet. its like I won the presidential race! Lol. thank you guys! I am most grateful.
You're welcome.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Nobody: 3:46am On Apr 04, 2015
I encountered this story when I made a random Nairaland custom search on "kegites " the story poped up exactly at the portion where some youth corp members were cheering.. I skimmed through and uncounscioisly I tabbed, the story made sense so I couldn't help myself buh end my curious search on the kegites encyclopedia to focus on this story, started from the beginning and vowed to finish it up as long as there are chapter to feast on till battery do us part, eventually it did, my laptop battery got low there was no light to charge, so I simply "followed "to continue on my phone.
At first I was so scared when I started reading from the beginning that I prayed silently within me that God should forgive me my sins and not punish me by making go through those humiliating period in period, in the end I smiled and prayed that God should bless my struggle with a good wife and happy ending as ur's? hmmmmm, such is life, this story is one in a million......

#How many likes for this writer? I hope It gets to FP, this way men of goodwill may act on the social ills that befall the Nigeria public sector. ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 1:42pm On Apr 04, 2015
Phinity318:
I encountered this story when I made a random Nairaland custom search on "kegites " the story poped up exactly at the portion where some youth corp members were cheering.. I skimmed through and uncounscioisly I tabbed, the story made sense so I couldn't help myself buh end my curious search on the kegites encyclopedia to focus on this story, started from the beginning and vowed to finish it up as long as there are chapter to feast on till battery do us part, eventually it did, my laptop battery got low there was no light to charge, so I simply "followed "to continue on my phone.
At first I was so scared when I started reading from the beginning that I prayed silently within me that God should forgive me my sins and not punish me by making go through those humiliating period in period, in the end I smiled and prayed that God should bless my struggle with a good wife and happy ending as ur's? hmmmmm, such is life, this story is one in a million......

#How many likes for this writer? I hope It gets to FP, this way men of goodwill may act on the social ills that befall the Nigeria public sector. ...

thanks for the encouragement my brother, I really appreciate. I hope the story hits front page to so that People can learn from it.
Meanawhila are you karid? Daysis be elongated!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by dastancypayne(m): 2:06pm On Apr 04, 2015
You are also invited to read this new book from NDU
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by dastancypayne(m): 2:06pm On Apr 04, 2015
You are also invited to read this new book from NDU
https://www.nairaland.com/2036817/reasons-why-killed.......wild-wild-west
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by yomalex(m): 8:58pm On Apr 07, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE This was an interesting read Thank you

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by tomayira(f): 10:20pm On Apr 07, 2015
Your story really inspired me, thank God mama's tears were finally wiped away. My mum would have loved to see her son as an Army Officer too but never talked till she passed on, some say it was lost of memory while others said depression. I only wish she came out of it to celebrate my brother that is presently serving, well...such is Life, Bravo!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:48am On Apr 08, 2015
tomayira:
Your story really inspired me, thank God mama's tears were finally wiped away. My mum would have loved to see her son as an Army Officer too but never talked till she passed on, some say it was lost of memory while others said depression. I only wish she came out of it to celebrate my brother that is presently serving, well...such is Life, Bravo!

eeyah! such is life my Sister. Thanks for dropping by.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stez: 1:55pm On Aug 03, 2015
hi
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Brozo1: 12:33am On Aug 10, 2015
I really respect your write up and your experience, read your piece for about 2hrs non stop, highly educative. Thank you for sharing with us your experience. My regards to Mama and Madame Brainy Amaka.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by bellville: 4:53am On Dec 19, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE:
EPILOGUE

I am writing this story from the comfort of my study in my farm house. I am just forty three years old now in 2015 but the things I have been through in life makes me feel like I am seventy years old, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly.

I am now into full time farming. I am also a writer as well as a consultant. I have some short stories published to my credit. It was my wife that actually encouraged me to put my life experience on paper so as to serve as a source of encouragement to those in unpleasant situations in life. Today I am also a worker in the house of the Lord where I worship and I cannot but give glory to God for all that happened to me in my life, I believed it was his way of preparing me for my today.

Funmilayo is away in Accra girls academy Ghana, while Kayode is at Command secondary School Abakaliki, they are both far away from home. Ekundayo and her younger brothers are also at Command Secondary School Abakaliki, they are all Boarders. During the holidays all the Kids come to my farm or they go to Abakaliki at Baba Dayo’s work shop to work and earn some money.

Amaka is presently a special adviser to the Oyo state Governor on legal matters, she has a Chamber in Enugu and another at Eleyele Ibadan. The competency exhibited while representing her Clients in Courts in Ibadan endeared her to the state Government that she was nominated for the appointment and the fact that she was Igbo married to a Yoruba man helped cemented her credentials for the appointment.

My farms are doing great, the palm plantation in my village rolls out hundred of drums of red palm oil for Companies and northern traders yearly, the Palm Kernels are not enough to meet the demand from companies that produce soap and farmers that need them for feeds preparation including my farm here at Ibadan too.

There is much to be gained from a palm plantation; when the fruits are ripe, we set traps and catch wild Boars and Rodents that come to eat up the fruits from its bunch or the ones that have fallen to the ground due to the activities of rodents, these are roasted and my share sent to me at Ibadan, and one thing I had loved from Childhood was Bush meat! When it is time to prune the branches of the palm trees, we sell them off to Basket makers in the community.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………................................................................................

I had gone back to Lagos after my annual leave in 2004 and resumed duty as the A.O. Finance. The monthly booty kept coming and I kept putting it in the separate bank account I had opened for it. I continued working while I monitored activities at my farms and residence. I sneaked into Ibadan or Esa-odo on free weekends and public holidays to monitor the work in progress.

My palm seedlings survived the first scourge of dry season and rain season, they developed new roots and I was assured that they would grow well, the weak ones and the dead ones were replaced while I handed the Farm over to an Igala Man that has being in our Village for as long as I could remember, we called him Baba Agatu.

The Farm at Ibadan was also completed in due time and the House at Eleyele too, it took us a whole year to get all these in place and I was ready for our plan B.
I made up my mind and went to meet my C.O with a mini tape recorder in my breast Pocket. I once again told him of my fears and my desire to be posted to another office. He went berserk and started to threaten me.

Look lieutenant! He said; I have had enough of this your stupid talks about not liking what we are doing here and wanting to leave the pension Office! Did I bring you here in the first place? Look if you are not comfortable here you better resign and get the hell out of here!
Think I will resign sir! I said; I have a feeling that all of these will back fire some day! I do not want to go to Prison again, not now that I have a Wife and Kids that look up to me!

Anything you want to do, do! He shouted; but let me tell you, people like you that have tried what you are trying to do are six feet below the earth now! And yours will not be an exception, I promise you that! You will just disappear! Where is captain Adekunle now? Where is staff sergeant Adamu? Where are major Isiaka and Corporal Johnson? They all tried to be stubborn but they forgot that the stubborn fly follows the Corpse into the grave! My friend, go and ask questions! Do you know the caliber of People that are involved in this cartel? Do you know how many heads that will roll and the number of families that will be shattered if you sing? My friend, this is not 82nd division Enugu o! This is Lagos! He shouted; my friend, leave my Office this moment before I charge with something that you will not be able to explain.

I stood up and saluted him, and then I told him that all the monies paid to me are still intact in my account, I asked him if he wanted it paid into his account. He was furious and he lost his cool and punched me in the face. I fell down on my butt. I got up and asked him why a general could condescend as low as to physically assault a fellow Officer.

I will give you another blow! He shouted: in fact I will slap you! And with that, he slapped me in the face, I screamed and fell down again.
In fact! Ojo, you are dead meat! You are dead meat I promise you! He fumed as he left his Office and banged the door while I was still on the floor rubbing my cheek.

I went home to meet my Wife who had flown down for the execution of plan B, and we replayed the tape recorder and heard all that transpired between me and my C.O.

We did not sleep at home that night; we went to a Hotel outside the Barracks and slept. The next morning, I went and submitted my resignation letter to my C.O.

The beauty of it was I had done a total of over fifteen years in the Army and I was pensionable. I would have loved to get to the rank of a more senior Officer before retiring but I guess that was not my destiny.

I submitted the letter to him with a Copy of the tape recorder in a compact disc; I saluted him and left his office as abruptly as I came in.

He knew my wife was a Lawyer, he knew she was the one that instigated the move at Oputa panel that eventually led to the dismissal and jailing of nine men and the demotion of a Colonel to Captain. He also knew she must the brain behind the recording of my discussion with him, he knows he was doomed if anything happened to me.
He called me after two hours and asked that we met and talked at the Officers mess immediately, I told him I would be available in the evening, he was so scared of my every move that he drove straight to my house to meet me and my Wife.

We talked for sometime but I told him that my mind was made as per leaving the Army. I told him I was not going to expose the decay and corruption at the pension office but if anything happened to me or my family, then the tapes would circulate and all hell would be let lose. He agreed to protect me and my family until his dying day. He was on his knees asking me to beg my Wife for him as he does not trust Lawyers especially female lawyers! He wished he could swallow all the words he uttered in the tape. The General was begging and crying like a small Boy before a Lieutenant and his Wife! Amaka later promised to bury the hatchet and he left our house with thanks and prayers for us.

I officially resigned from the Army in the month of March 2006 as a pensioner and came to settle with my family at Ibadan. Today my Wife speaks fluent Yoruba and is working for the state government. I have over fifty permanent staff on my pay roll. We sell eggs daily in thousands of crates, we supply fresh fish and Chickens to over twenty fast foods, it is a matter of first booked first served.

Traders in the Market book our Turkey, Sheep and Goats in advance. The grass cutter and the Snail farm are Money Spinners. My major challenge is to meet the demand of Customers. Politicians book my turkey and Ostrich months before they are matured so they can use them as gifts to their Political God fathers. Ostrich lay an egg in a year so it is very expensive.

I give lectures at symposia on Agriculture and Aquaculture, I have regular inflow of students on industrial attachment; I have investments in chains of businesses and my fifty million naira booty realized from the Army pension Office is still growing in the fixed deposit account. Indeed life, they say begins at forty. I guess I was not destined to stay in the Army because whenever I wore those boots, things go sour for me; it is like there are thorns in them that I had to pull them before I get some comfort. But the Army prepared me for my today; it was a means to an end for me.

THE END.
What a beautiful story! I can't believe I stayed up all night to read this. I cried at some point and laughed at some point. It's a soul-lifting piece, a love story and a satire. I also enjoy the Igbo/Yoruba cultural mix and the entrepreneurial insights infused into the story. Kudos!

Has this story been published? I would like to place some copies in my bookstore and recommend to customers.

Where can I get copies?
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by felipemadero(m): 11:04am On Dec 19, 2015
Op,I can't express evry of my feelings at reading this experience of urs,at some point I felt tears clogging my eyes cos its so mind boggling n quite inspiring . I would like to thank God for ur life and ur God given wife for advising u to put ur experiences in print.I would like to possibly meet u in person cos u av inspired me as a Mentor.

Modified
I'm so bamboozled,forgotten its a fiction even if its a life experience but don't mind me 4 falling in love with d character but I'll still love to meet dat character!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by olite93(m): 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2015
gr8 story indeed. I guess God has his own ways. Pls sir, wat z ur advice 4 those of us intendin 2 join d army? Ur advise wld b gr8ly appreci8d
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by ElPhoche(m): 9:09pm On Dec 22, 2015
To think I encountered this amazing story now.. Read it virtually non-stop, beginning to the end. Thumbs up. Great write up and I love ur style.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 5:07pm On Dec 23, 2015
olite93:
gr8 story indeed. I guess God has his own ways. Pls sir, wat z ur advice 4 those of us intendin 2 join d army? Ur advise wld b gr8ly appreci8d

The Army is indeed a great and noble Career to pursue especially from the cadet cadre. I mean NDA. Either direct regular or short service. But joining as a recruit? hmmm. Ensure you strive to go to school and get commissioned!
Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Gbenga Found Love / Jewels Of Africa / Letter To My Friend Overseas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.