Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,260 members, 7,953,995 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:32 AM

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail (46993 Views)

Thorns Part 1 / Travail Of Agent Davis / BED OF THORNS (a short story by madgoat) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 4:24pm On Mar 15, 2015
CHAPTER 15

I had hoped and wished for freedom from Prison all those years, believing the free world is safer than being behind bars. When freedom eventually came, I had challenges to contend with in the real world.

The immediate issues where; where to go and where to start from, as in how to get my Job back, the second was how to take care of mama and settle Baba Miko and finally how to manage my budding romance with Amaka in the midst of these challenges.

Mama had completely recovered and all bills were settled before she was discharged from the hospital. Baba Miko was fortunate to have started getting acquainted with the Hospital management immediately he came to Abakaliki, he had been washing their Cars and helping in fixing anything that needed repairs in the building so it was just natural they gave him a temporal job as a guard when one of their old guards retired and went back to his Village. He was to be on shift duty. We decided that he stayed put at Abakaliki for now, he said he would save up some money to buy modern tools for his Job before returning home or start life all over at Abakaliki.

I discussed with mama and Amaka on my next move and we both agreed that mama stayed with Baba Miko in Abakaliki while I go to Enugu and see my Commanding Officer with the exoneration letter the Court gave me.

It was at this juncture that I asked mama to tell me what I do not know about his relationship with Baba Miko.
Mama Miko told me that Baba Miko had always loved her, he started pestering her for marriage since she was a teenager long before my Father came along with his sweet tongue and wooed her. My Dad was very handsome; he was popular with his dances at social functions and church services. He was more of an extrovert compared to Baba Miko.
Every young girl at that time wanted to be identified with my Dad so she could resist him when he came for her because she felt she was lucky to have him. But my dad had turned out to be a disappointment. He was very lazy, he loved fun and hates work, he could sit over a keg of palm wine and talk about his plans for a better future but it ends there! He never moved a muscle towards acquiring and developing Lands for farming like his mates, instead he resorted to selling off his lands to his mates and drinking the money.

I asked my mother her age as at that time and she said she was just sixteen years old when she conceived me, which made her forty one years old now, I had always thought she would be older, I never knew she had me at so tender an age.

Baba Miko had left the village out of frustration and shame because our People have a saying that “it is the brave man that snatches the wife of a lazy man” every man in the village at that time knew Baba Miko was a strong and hard working man so for a well known lazy and unserious man like my Dad to collect a woman he was interested in, was a big slap on his face so he relocated to Ogbomosho.

He returned to the Village when I was ten years old to find a wife only to discover that my mother had been widowed for about a decade, he did not marry again, and rather he approached her and restated his love for her but my mother told him she was afraid of marrying again. But Baba Miko remained in the Village so he could be around her and he too refused to marry.

I told Mama to give him a chance; I told her that no man can love a woman more. The man had sacrificed everything for her, what Man would abandon his work and Kinsmen in the village and follow a Woman to a strange land to start living in servitude. The fact that he got here and sought out a means of survival showed that he is a determined and ambitious man. I told her to stay with him so I can go and pursue my own destiny. She prayed for me and Amaka and we all slept at Baba Miko’s two rooms Apartment and left early for Enugu the next day.

We went straight to see my Commanding Officer, Colonel Garba whom Amaka met the last time she came for my Cheque book but he had also been transferred and replaced by a Colonel Akindele, a Yoruba man. We discussed with him for about one hour updating him on my case, he brought out hand over files from his predecessors and saw the copy of the letter the Police had sent to the G.O.C to release me to them for investigation, he called for a new file from his secretary and he put the letter into the new file, he then collected the exoneration form the Court gave me and put in the file too, he said he would take the new file and explain to the new G.O.C. Amaka then told him to make photocopies of the exoneration letter and give us the original, he obliged.

So you are very free now? He asked at last

Yes sir! I replied

And this lady here is your Lawyer? He asked again

Yes sir! I replied

Good! Good! Boy! You would have gone through a tough time! How come the investigation took too long? He asked.

The Police abandoned the case immediately he was moved to Abakaliki! They wanted him to rot there. Amaka replied.

Kai! Sorry o! Not to worry, you will be rejabbed into the Army, I will personally take your case up, he promised.

When we left the C.O’s Office, I went to see the new A.O and introduced myself, A.O is the Admin Officer and second in command to the C.O. he congratulated me and welcomed me back.

I went and looked for the R.S.M who almost jumped out of his skin when he saw me; he was the same R.S.M seven years ago. He asked silly questions that annoyed Amaka. He was so pessimistic and incongruous asking me if I was sure I was free indeed! He asked if the family we robbed are aware that I have been released from Prison; he asked if I was sure I did not break out from Prison; it was Amaka that cautioned him by asking him he if he was scared that I was back, she told him that everyone had been happy to see me back except him, she asked him that if I were his Son and have been to jail for seven years, would he treat me the way he had just done? He felt challenged and demanded to know who she was. She told him she was a Barrister and my legal representative from Abuja. He turned and hurriedly left us.

Something is wrong here! Amaka had said that day: the way this man reacted shows that he does not want you around, you need to be careful Ojo, she had cautioned.
Our sergeant Korofo ran towards us as we were about entering Amaka’s Car, he called out my name and I turned to see him running excitedly towards me, we embraced.

Old boy them don release you? He asked

Yes sir! I replied

Ha! I happy for you o! Thank God! I talk am! I talk am say you no guilty! I tell them say you must to come back one day! He said. He stretched his hands and we shook hands like men, he pulled me close and we hugged, then he whispered to my ears ‘wahala dey o! Oga R.S.M no like as you return o! He say Criminal na Criminal, he say him dey go tell C.O not to allow a Criminal back into the unit, so make you be careful o! I thanked him and he left. I told Amaka what he said and she advised that we be vigilant and careful.

We drove to the house of Saka my friend, he had married with two Sons, and he was shocked to see me. I greeted his Wife and played with the Kids, I pulled him outside his house and apologized for the incident that happened seven years ago, he could not accept my apology, he was dumb founded because he knew I had come to show myself to him that after he abandoned me for seven years, I came out alive, after all what are friends for? It could have been me with him in a stolen Car he bought ignorantly; I would not have abandoned him like that.

Amaka and I later drove to the Mammy market to eat, I pointed to her the shop I had rented for mama seven years ago, and someone now sells provision in it. I saw few Soldiers that still remembered my face, some thought I was posted out to another state, some also thought I had been in Lagos with the green Berets, the Army football team while those that knew what actually happened came and congratulated me, they said they heard of Mr. Chike’s arrest and they knew I would soon be free. I saw two of my mates with the rank of Corporal hanging on their arms; I congratulated them on their promotion.

Amaka and I then drove to Dannic hotels at new Haven and booked a room to spend the night. We discussed in detail and planned on the way forward together.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Amaka happened to be the only daughter of her parents; she lost her mum to Cancer when she was just fifteen. She has two elder brothers both married to white women and based abroad, the eldest is with the United States marines Corp while the other is an Architect. She studied law at the University of Liverpool and came home for her national youth service Corps and upon completion a friend of her father’s helped her secured employment into Gani Fawehinmi Chambers, she was posted to the eastern region with head office at Ziks Avenue Enugu, now she has been posted to Abuja. She is twenty three years old while I am twenty five now.

Her father is not a millionaire but he could afford the basic necessities of life, he was a Civil servant that grew through the ranks to become a magistrate Court Judge before retirement, he invested his money in educating his Children and he had no favourites amongst the Children.

I asked her how her father would react if he got to know about us, she said her father does not care, he is only interested in his work and his books, if the mother were to be alive, then we would have cause to worry.

Amaka had been spending her savings and salaries in pursuance of my freedom. I asked her what made her to help me and went through the hardship with me, she said it was because of the passion with which I begged her to help my mother, she said she watched as death gradually ate her mother up yet they could not help her, all her father’s connections and monies could not stop cancer from killing her mother whom she had loved so much. She said it is hard to see a man that would forget his own problems and take risks to save another like I did for mama.

I told her that most women of our time would have run away from me once they see how attached I am to my mother; they prefer a man who has no mother at all. She said she believes strongly in the law of Karma that what goes around, comes around. She is a woman, if she dislikes my mother, her son’s spouse would dislike her too in future, she said.

Finally we agreed that I rent a two- room self contained apartment outside the Barracks and wait till I am recalled into the force. I had some money on me.
That night, she gave herself to me without reservation. Making love to Amaka was different, I was not paying for it so I was not selfish and brutal, we had the whole night to ourselves so I was not in a hurry, and we made every minute count. I had to increase the volume of the television so as to douse her mourns and my grunts.
Three months after my release from Prison, I was yet to hear from the Army. I realized that the C.O was avoiding me, whenever I went to see him, his secretary always gave one reason or the other to prevent me from seeing him, however I was patient, these big men are always busy and I did not want to choke him. Such things take time I thought.

By March 1998, it was six months out of Prison; I travelled to Abakaliki to see mama and Baba Miko, I went to their house but it was locked and no one was at home, then I took a Bike to the Hospital to see Baba Miko. He was so happy to see me after six months, he was all over me with questions which I answered as much as I could, he was looking very healthy and happy in his work uniform, and he took me round and introduced me to People as his Son in the Army.

I asked after mama and he said she went to her Shop, he had opened a hairdressing Shop for her very close to the a private Girls Hostel for university students, he said mama makes more money than him now, he said she was waiting for me to come so she could give me money if I have not resumed work yet. He said there was something he would have loved to tell me now but would rather wait till I see it myself because he does not know how I would react. I asked him if he beat my Mother and he said no he would never do that.
He was on day shift so we were together until he closed at 6.PM and we took a bike home together.

I could not help laughing when I saw mama, I reeled with laughter as I entered their house and she turned around from the refrigerator to welcome Baba Miko home, she was shocked to see me and the drugs in her hands fell to the floor. I saw her bulging stomach shooting out from her small frame, it was strange to me because I never saw her pregnant before, I laughed and fell on the Couch in the Parlor while mama ran into the other room ,she was shy.
Baba Miko just stood there grinning while I hailed him; Baba O! Baba o! eku ise sir! Well done sir!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Olaitan3784(f): 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2015
nice one here realy love ur story

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 7:01pm On Mar 15, 2015
Things seem to be moving on smoothly with Ojo except for his re installment into the army.....Doma always dropping it spicy grin

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by apholaryn: 8:14pm On Mar 15, 2015
I swear...this story is tighter dan a virgin...kudos to u @op ...more ororo to ur elbow

3 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Missmossy(f): 9:14pm On Mar 15, 2015
Nice story, following.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by demmy66: 9:29pm On Mar 15, 2015
let me reserve space for one n only heemah..... come sit beside me... enjoy this life touching story... i already have handkerchief to wipe ur tears dear

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by heemah(f): 9:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
demmy66:
let me reserve space for one n only heemah..... come sit beside me... enjoy this life touching story... i already have handkerchief to wipe ur tears dear
I'm here dear. Handkerchief ke? If it's touching then we 'll need 12yards of clothe..Handkerchief will be too small....Pass me popcorn and kunu mak I enjoy d tori....Greetings to all housemates ooo.....I hail una
*modified** it's really touching...waiting for more....

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Rocksteady1(m): 11:55am On Mar 16, 2015
****come out of ghost mode**** I am really touched by ur travails solder, I can't believe I shed tears. I wish ur mother good health, long life and prosperity. I wish u and Amaka happy wedded life and happy ever after. I salute d courage of baba Miko, he let me know dat truly, true love don't and never die. Oga inside, thanks for ur help in my friend life and for bringing his joy and happiness (Amaka) to him wen u introduce dem to each oda in d prison. May mercy never leave ur family circle. Oga solder, pls 4give ur friend Saka n 4get. He was scared. Pls don't forget to back to ur village to shut d mouth of haters. And remember dat ENI TI O BA GBAGBE ILE, APO IYA LO SO KO(he who dat 4gets his home shall suffer). My little contribution by my humble self *****Runs back to ghost mode*****

7 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 7:43pm On Mar 16, 2015
cheesy what is r.s.m?
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:36pm On Mar 16, 2015
stonecoldcafe:
cheesy what is r.s.m?
Regimental sergeant major! he is the highest rank in the Other ranks cadre. ( Non Commissioned officer) W01 OR W02 as the case may be.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 4:11pm On Mar 17, 2015
bibie01:

I'm here bae, thanks for the mention. kiss
Oga Dom, I will follow you whereva yu may go grin Eagerly waiting for d story to begin..
*occupying my reserved sit, hugs twinie*

Cryslyn, Onosj, Jollyjoy and Bibie01 where are you Guys at?
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 7:03pm On Mar 17, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE:

Nothing for us today?
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 7:14pm On Mar 17, 2015
charijee:
Nothing for us today?

Tomorrow Chari!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 7:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE:

Tomorrow Chari!
Aiit boss.....tomorrow then
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 10:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nwantinti(Love) in the air
Kudoz

Oga Miko vs Mama Ojo
Amaka vs Ojo

Una go do double wedding.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 18, 2015
charijee:
Nothing for us today?
there is puf corn nd kuli kuli for u
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 18, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE:

we dy here.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 12:50pm On Mar 18, 2015
Jollyjoy:
we dy here.
I Gbadu ur signature
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 1:19pm On Mar 18, 2015
Jollyjoy:
there is puf corn nd kuli kuli for u
I need something heavy grin
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
charijee:
I need something heavy grin
u mean heavy like six to six?
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 18, 2015
jezuzboi:

I Gbadu ur signature
wow! Dancing shoki! Dat gud,kip it up until u say i lovee it, i loveeee it, i loveeeeeeeeeeeee.,....t then doct go hold u e go so gush dis boy! Dis bouy!! Dis bouoyo!!! Lol just kiddin sha anyway u welcum.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:25pm On Mar 18, 2015
CHAPTER 16

It was like Childhood days again but this time around, not in penury but in abundance. I spent over a month with Mama and Baba Miko, freedom is sweet! It takes people like us to appreciate the importance of freedom.

Imagine a situation where I wake up in the morning and take my bath and eat Mama’s or Baba Miko’s delicious meal, then I decide on how to spend the day; do I go to Mama’s Shop? or do I go with Baba Miko to work? or do I just enter into the Campus of Ebonyi state university and feed my eyes? It was 1998 and Ebonyi state had been carved out of Enugu state so they have their own university now. Abakaliki had become a Capital City and the prospect for development in the town had made Baba Miko changed his mind about going back home, he planned to set up a furniture making business in Abakaliki because he envisaged that the demand for Wood works would increase with the influx of People into the new Capital City.

Sometimes I just sit at home and watch movies as long as N.E.P.A permits, the generator Baba Miko bought had been transferred to Mama’s Shop but they planned to buy another for home use. I was indeed enjoying myself here with Mama, I determine the food that we eat in the House as Mama would always ask me of my choice of food before entering the Kitchen to cook, if it was Baba Miko that wants to cook too, he does the same. Baba Miko was never married so he had been doing his own cooking all his adult life.
The family bond that eluded me as a Child, I began to experience at adult hood. Baba Miko was a natural Father figure to me and I took him as such immediately, the relationship between him and Mama was like that of two Pigeons in love.

The two of us were always teasing Mama in her pregnant state; we assisted with the house chores and in the Kitchen too. I do the dishes after our meals and I clean up the house in the Mornings, that is if Baba Miko does not beat me to it, but it was generally fun and peaceful, I never heard the two raise voice at each other through out my stay with them, Baba Miko has a very large heart and he still sees my mother as that sixteen year old Girl he wooed twenty six years ago, he adored her and now that she was expecting his baby, he practically pampers her like a baby. This is what my mother had missed all this years for marrying the lazy handsome honey coated tongued Man called My Father!

I was excited with the fact that I was expecting a younger Sibling, mama and I wished it would be a Boy because we thought it would make Baba Miko happy but Baba Miko insisted he preferred a girl as he already had a Son in me, he said he needs just a daughter to join me in the family and after that, he doesn’t want any more Children, he wanted Mama to rest. But Mama told me in secret that if God permits, she will bear him three Kids within three years, she said she cannot have just one Child for him, she said he needs Children that would bear his name.
The first day I followed Mama to her Shop was a Friday and I was over whelmed. The way Students trooped into her Shop to make their hair for weekend runs was alarming; there was no more space to sit down and the Students were collecting numbers as they waited for their turns. Mama had two paid assistants that helped out at the Shop yet they could not rest because the Students kept pouring in.

The Students say Mama’s hand does not give them headache couple with the fact that her job was very neat. Mama had no choice than give them value for their money because she knew where she was coming from. In the Village where she was, she could plait someone hair and at the end they resort to quarreling because the Person would not tell her from the onset that she does not have money. In the Village the hair she plaits for one hundred naira, she collects three hundred naira at Abakaliki. Washing and setting in Abakaliki is done at three times the price in the Village so why won’t she put in her best?

I had to assist in plaiting and fixing weave-on for some of the Students that day and I received a lot of tips. The Girls were confused as to who should make their hair between me and mama because our works are exactly the same. They said we were apprenticed under the same Tutor. Mama was to them my elder Sister for no one could ever believe she was my mother so there was no need telling them otherwise. Even though they heard me calling her Mama, they thought it was her pet name from Childhood.

Mama’s level in Abakaliki had actually changed and for the fact that she does business in a Campus environment, she had to change and adapt to the fashion en-vogue, she never wore Buba and wrapper to work, she wears jeans and T shirts or Skirt and blouse, her graying hair now looks dark and lovely courtesy of the several sheens and hair treatments she applied for she changed her hair style weekly, mama had a Baby face naturally so she passed for a young educated lady in her twenties. The only handicap was that she could not speak fluent English and she has a strong Yoruba accent so she settled for the Pidgin English she could speak well.

I started to frequent her Shop regularly for the next two weeks, first because I needed to help her make more money and secondly to flirt with the Girls. It was not easy for me to take my eyes off the girls that came to mama’s Shop! My Gawd! Igbo girls are beautiful! In all my life I had never been in company of young girls like this, I had never being in a position where I interfaced with so many girls, I had not gone to the university by then so it was very difficult for me to see a skimpily dressed beautiful Lady without losing concentration, I tried not to stare by could not help it, how could one be plaiting a lady’s hair and just below my eyes her cleavage is open and gaping at me? My heart beat was always running fast.

And just as one girl is leaving another beauty comes in with her charms. I was in bondage, a bondage I did not want to be free from. It was at mama’s shop that I came to understand the term ‘beauty is in the eyes of the beholder’ and beauty comes in different sizes and shapes!
It was mama that came to my rescue, she had been watching me all this while as my mouth dropped open and my eyes pop out at the sight of any beautiful or skimpily dressed Lady. She said I should voice out my thoughts instead of staring like the severed head of a cow on the butcher’s slab.

Pay them compliments! She had told me; tell them what you admire in them, if it is the eyes or the dress or the hair! Tell them how beautiful they look and flatter them, tell them they are torturing you and you would have loved to go out with them if not that you are engaged to their sister! She said if a girl comes to make her hair I should pay her compliments and when she is done I should flatter her more.

That was how I earned the name “Ogo” or in-law amongst the girls and I was free with all of them, I was free to stare freely and openly while paying compliments while the girls purposely flaunt it for me to see the more! Jeez I missed mama’s Shop in Abakaliki. But that was when I started to respect male stylists everywhere in the world. They are actually living in self imposed psychological bondage.
Some of the Students wanted to know my department as they thought I was a student of Ebonyi state University helping out my elder Sister at my lecture free periods, I told them I was in E.S.U.T Enugu.

I started going to mama’s shop earlier than mama while she comes later with my food and we work together till 5.30PM before going home to prepare and eat dinner with Babe Miko if he is on day duty, but if he is on night duty, he prepares dinner for us before leaving for work, he leaves the house by 5.30pm till 6.00am the next day.

2 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
After spending three weeks with mama and her husband, yes! Husband I said; in my home town, if a man and a woman are cohabitating, they are as good as husband as wife! And if there is a Child in the union then they are confirmed husband and wife, they can talk of paying pride price anytime they are ready, and in my mother’s case who would collect her bride price? It is me nah! So by virtue of being her only relative who did not abandon her, I pronounced then Man and Wife! I have given Babe Miko my mother free of charge. Though Babe Miko kept saying they will go home in due time to ratify everything with my Mother’s family, he said there is a traditional way to go about it. And the truth is that my Mother’s family had known and liked Baba Miko when he was wooing her before she blindly fell for my Dad.

I travelled to Ezamgbo to visit Oga Luke (Oga Inside). I stopped at Ezamgbo junction along Abakaliki-Enugu express road and took a bike to “Luke Umahi farms” as his farm of twenty hectare was called. There was a sign post bearing “Luke Umahi Rice Farm” at the junction of Ezamgbo community.

I was intimidated by what I saw. The expanse of land green with young rice plants was so wide I could not see the end from the beginning; it was like a green sea. The field was swampy and the plants flourished in it.

He was in a conference-like room at the farm house discussing with some Students from the Federal University of Agriculture Umudike who had come on excursion to his farm. My presence disrupted the session for a moment as Oga Luke rushed out of the hall to welcome me; he introduced me to the Students and the accompanying Lecturer as his friend in the Army. I joined the Student and listened to Oga Luke’s Lecture on rice farming, I enjoyed the Lecture so much that I contemplated setting up a rice farm some day. We went on a field trip with the Students and they left at 3.30pm for their School. There were some Students working already on the Farm as part of their Industrial attachment programme, while others were paid labourers.

Oga Luke then took me to another arm of the Farm that was for leafy vegetables alone, three plots of land was used exclusively for vegetables farming and it belonged to his wife of twenty four years. The three plot was divided into portions for various vegetable such as utazi, water leaf, ugu (fluted pumpkin) anghara leaf (Garden egg) pepper, onugbu, (Bitter leaf) Okra, Uziza, scent leaf, green vegetable and Okazi leaf. The plants were very plump and healthy. Oga Luke’s Wife was there with two girls plucking pepper into Baskets in readiness for the next day’s market, the next day was “eke owo” owo community market day, and she had gathered three baskets full already. She sells her vegetable on any of the Market days of neighboring towns such as Nkalagu, ezilo, eha-amufu, Ntezi, and owo. The market days could be Eke, Orie, Nkwo and Afor. In those days in Igbo land, a Child born on Eke Market day is named Nwa-eke pronounce Nweke (Eke’s Child) a child born on Nkwo Market day day is called Nwa-Nkwo pronounced Nwankwo and Nwafor and Nworie as the case may be.

She was happy to see me but the joy was short lived as a quarrel started immediately between she and her husband. Oga Luke had introduced me to her as Ojo onye Army (Ojo the Army man) and she replied; ehen! I know him nah! Is he not that Soldier man that was in Prison? The two girls assisting her in the farm had taken sharp glances at me then they started laughing.

Oga Luke had chased them from our presence as he reprimanded his wife. They spoke in their Omalante language (Ohaozara dialect) I knew I was the subject matter so I told Oga Luke not to worry, I told him she was not lying after all but he had insisted that it was insulting for his Wife to have related me with the Prison and to worsen everything she did it in the presence of her maids! He did not like the kind of image she was portraying me in the presence of the maids, he said before I know it now, everybody in the farm will know that I was in Prison. I understood his point. Even though I did not like what the woman did, I did not want to be the cause of their misunderstanding. She later abandoned the basket and knife in her hands and walked out on us grumbling.

By 5.00PM, we ate fufu with onugbu soup (Bitter leaf) with roasted Anu Nchi (Grass cutter meat) and some other meaty proteins that I could not decode in the soup. Oga Luke’s wife later brought us a keg of fresh palm wine with two Calabashes to drink with, she poured her husband a calabash full and handed it to him with both arms stretched out, he collected it and took a long swing at the sweet liquid while I salivated as I watched the second calabash being filled by the Wife. She filled the second calabash and was about to hand over to me when her husband started with her again in their dialect, she withdrew her hands and while grumbling, she drank from the Calabash before passing it to me with her right hand. Oga Luke screamed at her again in their dialect pointing his fore finger at her in a warning gesture. She recoiled from me and filled up the Calabash to the brim before handing it over to me with both hands after which she stormed away grumbling only to return minutes later with a bowl full of assorted roasted bush meats spiced with Utazi leaf, palm oil and pepper. I was in heaven on earth at Oga Luke’s farm house.

Together with Madam Luke we ate up all the meat in the Bowl and drank up the keg of palm wine, even though she sat away from us as she gnawed angrily at her meat while stealing scornful glances at her husband who acted as if she was not even there. He was busy telling me stories about the Ezamgbo people and their culture and about his experience in farming.

After the meal some of the maids came and cleared the plates and bowls of water we used in washing our hands. Oga Luke called the girl that carried the bowl of water I used in washing my hands back and instructed that she poured the content on the floor away from us where I could see it. The wife got up at this point and started another quarrel in their dialect as she left our presence.

I followed them to their house in Oga Luke’s Peugeot 504 Pickup Van and the couple quarreled half of the way home. We got home and I was showed the room to sleep in. Their Children are grown up and were all at Enugu schooling at E.S.U.T, they have three Sons. They have two teenagers living with them at home, they are Madam Luke’s Nephews schooling at Ezamgbo boys high School.

I had already slept off at 8.00PM when the noise from the sitting room woke me up; it was between Oga and madam. I wondered what the problem was again and wished I was not connected to it. I tried to go back to sleep but I couldn’t. Madam Luke later came to knock at my door, I struggled out of the bed and opened the door, she told me that there was water in the bath room for me to take my bath, and then she turned back and slammed the door at my face. Oga Luke started to bark at her almost immediately, she came back and opened my door, and then she closed it gently and left grumbling. The two have lived with each other like that for twenty four years yet they are still together so I did not interfere in their bouts. The problem was that she could not bring herself to serve or respect an ex convict like me. I understood.

I spent a whole week with Oga Luke. We slept two nights at the farm house. On one of those nights, we woke up very early and went round the farm and retrieved six giant Grass Cutters caught by traps set in the farm. Oga Luke said some Villagers do come early to his farm to steal the catch from his traps. He recounted a scenario where he came to the farm in the morning and saw someone shoe and pool of blood on one of his traps, the trap had been pulled out of the soil and disengaged.

After a week at Ezamgbo, I had learnt a lot about rice farming. I went back to Abakaliki with enough food stuff and vegetables and eight smoked Grass cutters.

I was with mama till May 1998 I had spent over a month with them, I was enjoying myself and did not want to leave until Amaka came to visit us and she reminded me of my unfinished business with the Army in Enugu.

Amaka stayed with us for two days during which we went to Mama’s shop and she was surprised at what she saw, she was impressed to see that Mama had changed from the ragged Village Woman to a Modern and trendy City Lady, she was also happy to see that mama was making good money. She was also impressed at my dexterity at hair dressing; she never knew how good I was. I did not remember learning to fix or dress female hair; I simply grew up doing it because it was mama’s only source of income that guaranteed my meal ticket. I introduced Amaka to all our Customers that came to the Shop that day as my fiancée that I told them about. She promised to be coming more often to visit mama and to learn the hair dressing trade also.
Together we drove in her car to Enugu leaving a weeping mama and a sad babe Miko behind on a Sunday morning in may 1998. Mama EDD was in July.

Chapter 17

Aluta continua! I went once again to see my C.O and I was intercepted by the R.S.M as I entered the gate to our Unit. He chased me out of the premises threatening me with his swagger stick. He warned me never to step foot into the premises again else he would declare me a persona non grata in the whole of the Barracks. I was shocked because I was not expecting such reaction from him. Where did I wrong this man? I asked myself.

I walked back to the mammy market to cut my hair. I entered a Barbing salon close to the tarred road that ran behind the market called “Ultimate Barbing Salon” the owner was a young Yoruba boy called Ayo, he was also a student at the institute of management and technology (I.M.T) Enugu, he goes to school in the morning and returned to his shop in the evening, he had a paid Barber that works all day at the Shop.

I was used to shining my head since I left the depot but that day, Ayo gave me a style that made me smile, he capped it all by giving me a slit at the left side of my head like that of Yinka Ayefele the popular Yoruba gospel singer. He then washed my head and applied “Sulphur eight ointments” the menthol from the cream charged some nerves in my head, I was impressed and I paid him twice his fare.

I sat down in the small but cozy shop to flip through the pages of a newspaper as I ruminated over the drama that ensued between me and the R.S.M. Amaka had gone back to Abuja, I have no friends in Enugu to go to, I was just alone. I then asked Ayo how one could see the C.O apart from the Office. He told me that the C.O plays Golf on Thursday evenings and on Saturday mornings at the Enugu Golf course. It was Thursday that day so I waited for Saturday morning. I went to a nearby beer parlour and drank two bottles of Gulder beer before going home to sleep.

I went to the Golf course as early as 7.00AM on Saturday and watched out for the C.O’s arrival. He came around 8.00am and I allowed him to greet his friends before I approached him and introduced myself and my mission. He asked where I had been all this while; he said he had sent my file to the G.O.C through the R.S.M since last year. I shouted ye! And I held my head with my hands. He asked what the problem was and I told him that the R.S.M would not deliver the message. I told him of my experience with the R.S.M.

Well, he said: I cannot imagine that I will send the R.S.M to the G.O.C and he would not deliver my message! Do you know the consequence? He asked me: yes sir! I replied. I told him that the R.S.M hates me and had been stopping from from reaching him all these while. He asked me the reason and I said I do not know but the R.S.M kept calling me names and had sworn to declare me a persona non grata in the barracks!

Well, he said: I do not know where the two of you knew each other from, so go and settle your scores with him, all I know is that I have sent your file too the G.O.C and I am still expecting a feedback from him
Sir! I called him can I say something please?
Go on! Speak! He said.

If it was the R.S.M you gave my file to take to the G.O.C, then I can bet on my life that my file did not get to the G.O.C! it is one whole year since I came to you in company of my Lawyer with my exoneration letter! I was discharged in May last year sir! This is June 1998 sir!
Yes o! You are right, he said. It should not have been this long before the G.O.C replied! Okay I know what to do! I know what to do and with that, he slung his Golf Kit bag over his shoulders and walked towards his friends. I just stood there clueless for a moment before finding my way to a nearby shop to buy Coke and bread for breakfast!.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by apholaryn: 10:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
wow..thanks fr d update.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 4:44am On Mar 19, 2015
apholaryn:
wow..thanks fr d update.
What a better way to start the day cheesy....nice one Doma

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 7:49am On Mar 19, 2015
@op thanks for the lengthy update. Wonder why dt officer is acting like a stumbling block 2dis guys progress.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by apholaryn: 8:13am On Mar 19, 2015
charijee:
What a better way to start the day cheesy....nice one Doma
yeaaaah..d story is captivating.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 12:21pm On Mar 19, 2015
Jollyjoy:
wow! Dancing shoki! Dat gud,kip it up until u say i lovee it, i loveeee it, i loveeeeeeeeeeeee.,....t then doct go hold u e go so gush dis boy! Dis bouy!! Dis bouoyo!!! Lol just kiddin sha anyway u welcum.
I bin fear oo initially.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:02pm On Mar 19, 2015
I later took a commercial motor cycle to the barracks to spend some time with Ayo the Barber, it was a Saturday and he did not go for lectures. I sat there and listened to the barracks gossips as customers came in and left. I was flipping the pages of a newspaper but my mind was somewhere else. I have waited for over a year without a head way to my being recalled into the Army. How much longer do I have to wait? What would I be doing while waiting? I thought of going back to Abakaliki but I know Amaka would not like the idea so instantly I made up my mind on what to do as I wait to hear from the Army.

On Monday morning I went to withdraw twenty thousand naira from my account and I went straight to Nnewi market in Anambra state to buy a fairly used Motor cycle. I bought a Yamaha 125 series with a very sound engine and good frame. I got it serviced there and rode it all the way to Enugu.

The next day I chartered a Pick up Van and went to my Unit to see the quarter master and together we went to the store to collect my property. The R.S.M came around as we were loading the van with my Luggage, I did not greet him, he went around the Van looking it over and inspecting the goods we were putting inside, he used his swagger stick to hit severally at the van making as unpleasant noise, he then came behind me as I bent to lift a Chair into the Van and he poked my butt with his swagger stick. I stood up and turned to face him.
Criminal! He snarled

I gave him a cold and hard stare and he turned and left saying Get out! Get out of here with your stolen property!
I continued with lifting my luggage into the van.

On Wednesday I sorted out my documents and went to the institute of management and technology (I.M.T) Enugu and purchased a form into the preliminary department to study business administration. (PREBAM) I submitted the form and the next day I started lectures with the students while I wait for the admission list to be published before I could pay my school fees and do my registration, however the first semester exam was in a month’s time.

I also went to the office of the West Africa examination council W.A.E.C and purchased the General certificate of education form (G.C.E) the examination would be written in November through December.

My age had been reduced by two as evident in my sworn affidavit so by the time I would graduate in 2002 or 2003 as the case may be, I will still be eligible to go for the compulsory national youth service Corp as I will still be officially below thirty years of age.

After one month of buying the Bike and running around for School activities, I was short of cash, I needed money to fuel my Bike, I needed money to buy hand outs and text books at school, and I needed to buy books in preparation for the G.C.E examination. I also needed to feed and buy school clothes. With all of these expenses before me, I had no choice than to start using my Bike for commercial purpose, commercial Cyclist are called Okada Riders in Enugu, so I became an Okada man at weekends and after School hours on week days, I was lucky I bought a good Bike so I was not having problems with the engine like some other Okada men. It was fun conveying People to their destinations for money, my knowledge of the geography of the state broadened and I was my own boss.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………............................................................................

On a Saturday in September I drove tom Abakaliki to visit mama and her new baby. She delivered a baby girl in July, a carbon copy of mama but with long limbs and hands like the father, they say she will be a tall girl when she grows, she was named Abosede because she was born on a Sunday, she was named Ekundayo which means from sorrow to joy and her father’s name was Michael kayode Ayeni.

My Folks have fully settled down in Abakaliki and they have lots of friends and well wishers both at work and at church. Baba Miko had bought a lot of tools and equipment for his Carpentry and furniture works, he has paid the part payment for a Shop but the present tenant was yet to vacate the place since he still has three months to the rent expiry. Baba Miko was a seasoned Brick layer as well as carpenter back in the Village though he was poor and I marveled at the transformation in the life of the two, it is true that if two people are meant for each other, everything they do together always flourish because all their elements will work together in harmony and whatever they venture into will prosper.

I told them what I have passed through since our last meeting till date. They encouraged me with words and mama said she feels my case needs spiritual intervention, she said we should take the R.S.M up in prayers and fast for three days waking up at every 12.00PM to pray and commit my case to God to fight my battle for me. We all agreed to start the fasting and prayers on Monday but I did not do it, I forgot about it the moment I climbed my Bike en-route Enugu on Monday Morning.

I came back to Enugu to face a very tight schedule, Examination was around the corner, I had outstanding quizzes and assignments to tidy up and submit. I had to read for my Prelim examinations as well as my G.C.E. I still hustled with my Okada at night and on weekends, but I was not deterred, I was used to hard life, a man has got to be a man!

CHAPTER 18

Amaka came around for Christmas. I had written all my examinations and I was somehow free for the time. She was depressed after I told her of what I had been through since the month of May when she left and what prompted my being an Okada Rider. Tears rolled down her cheeks as I spoke, especially the fact that I now survive as an Okada Rider. I kissed away her tears, I told her to allow me to ride the Okada now that I could, I told her to take solace in the fact that I am also in school, and I told her that an Okada man is better than a Prisoner. She understood. She always does. We made love slowly and purposefully that night, the tears came running down her cheeks as she mourned and clung to me as if I was drifting away.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..........................................................................

Together, Amaka and I went to the headquarters of the 82nd Division of the Nigerian Army to see the general Officer Commanding, our mission was to book an appointment with him. We got there and filled the forms handed to us by the Secretary, a Staff Sergeant with very conspicuous tribal marks that gave him away as an indigene of Oyo or Ogbomosho. He read through the form that we filled and he asked me the purpose of our visit. I said it was official

Of course I can see that is what you wrote here! But how official do you mean? He snapped.

Okay! Sorry sir, I came in respect of being recalled into the Army. My C.O has sent my letter to him.

Since your C.O has sent your letter to him then what are you here for? He asked

Oga sir! I said: it is a long story please; I just need to see the G.O.C.

You can’t see him now until after the elections! You know we are handing over to Civilian by April or May so everything concerning recruitment and recalling of Soldiers have been put on hold until after the military hands over! He said with a touch of finality.

Amaka then stepped forward and asked; are you saying the G.O.C cannot see a Soldier in distress because of elections? How is that?
Please who are you madam? Are you a Soldier or the Wife?

I am his Lawyer! Amaka replied

Oh! You see yourself now young man! The Civilians have not taken over yet and you are bringing a Civilian Lawyer to see the G.O.C! Can’t you get a Military Lawyer? Or are you not aware that we have our own Lawyers? He asked

Oga! Amaka interrupted, we are not here for any case! Everything has been settled in court already, I am just here to attest to the fact that this man here is free, that’s all!

Who told you he is free? Ehn? Who told you? The stripped face asked

Please what is going on in this Army Division? Amaka asked aloud. First! It was the R.S.M stopping him from seeing his Commanding Officer! And now you too do not want him to see his G.O.C! What are you Guys afraid of? Ehn? What are you Guys hiding that you do not want the Authorities to know?

Look here woman or young girl or whatever you say you are! Stripped face stood up from his sitting position and fumbled with his belt; who are you calling Guys? Are you mad? Ehn? Look I have daughters of your age at home no, so don’t come here and insult your father!
I am not insulting you! I am only stating an obvious fact! If you have nothing to hide, then let him see his G.O.C! Amaka insisted.

Just like that? If you have nothing to hide then let him see his G.O.C! He mimicked Amaka. Do you know the meaning of G.O.C? It means general Officer Commanding! This man is bigger than any Governor! He commands more than ten states in the east, south- south and middle belt region! And you just want to walk in and see him like that? He brought out a note book and started flipping through the pages; you see all these names? These are people that are on queue to see the G.O.C, some of them will not see him till another G.O.C takes over! Come back after the presidential elections I say!

Okay! No wahala! Ojo please let us leave this place! Amaka said as she left the office while I tagged along.

As we stepped out of the building and walking towards the Car park, we saw my R.S.M discussing and gesticulating frantically with a Captain on Uniform, he was facing our position while the Captain backed us but he stopped talking the moment he saw us, the Captain turned back too to stare as us as R.S.M told him something pointing his stick at me.

What are you doing here? He barked as he approached us with his swagger stick stretched forward, Amaka walked away to the Car while I stopped. I decided to answer him because of the presence of the Captain. By the badge and Beret of the Captain he is from the Finance Corps.

I am coming from the G.O.C’s office I told him.

To do what? He shouted; he looked visibly scared; are you mad? Look at this criminal o! Look! The fly that refuses to heed warning follows the Corpse into the grave o! I have warned you to stay of the Army premises but you are being obstinate abi? Okay we shall see! We shall see! Have you heard of accidental discharge before? Have you heard of stray bullet before? Don’t worry, soon you will not only hear of it but experience it and you will not live to tell the experience!

The captain also seemed uncomfortable as he looked from right to left to be sure other s Soldiers are not watching the scene.
R.S.M, take it easy! The Captain said, there are better ways of handling this issue.
Which issue Oga? The R.S.M asked; issue with this small rat? This stupid Scallywag? I cannot have issues with him! He is a dismissed Soldier!
R.S.M, please come along! The Captain said as he hurriedly left the scene, the R.S.M followed him murmuring. Amaka was already in the Car waiting for me.

We drove to the Mammy Market so I could get my hair cut; I got to know from Ayo that I could also see the G.O.C at the Golf course the same days the C.O goes there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by apholaryn: 11:09pm On Mar 19, 2015
nice one...kudos to u @op
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 1:45am On Mar 20, 2015
Nawa! should he quit the army altogether? the opposition is getting too much oh! angry angry angry
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Peacefulness: 12:01pm On Mar 20, 2015
The R.S.M has a skeleton in his cupboard, maybe he was the one that cooked up the news about his execution. Carry on oga Doma, following u bumper to bumper.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Very Best Of Fictions (novels) / Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees / Chimamanda Adichie Protesting Against Donald Trump In US (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.