Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,517 members, 7,954,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:18 PM

What Is The Prescription For Anger? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Prescription For Anger? (1038 Views)

A Strange But Effective Prescription To Conceive / What Is The Most Hurtful Thing Yr Parents Told You Out Of Anger? / Anger Reactions In Nigerian Men And Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Prescription For Anger? by lastmessenger: 1:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
From my tenaage years I discovered that I have this anger problem. Then I did not really care much about it cos I just saw it that nobody should ride on and get away it easily.

It got so bad that when I was 20 years in my place of industrial attachment I found myself shouting at an elderly man who is about 70years for the simple reason that I was so hungry to continue working when the elderly man insisted that I keep working.

The positive thing is that I don't get distructive in my anger. I can say things that I should not say to someone that is far older than me. If maybe the person is within my age bracket I can go to the extent of giving him a punch.i remember crying after I disfigured my girls face( since then I void never to touch a woman and I have always abide by that vow)

I met a psychologist who told me that I should convert my anger into a positive anger. In that I should use that anger in fighting for the good of the society.i have tried to live by that wisdom but I often times go back to doing negative things with my anger.

Recently I have found out that am getting out of control.recently i slapped my boss and I thought that I have lost my job but to my surprise he did not fire me.I really need help and I want to change. Please is there a prescription for anger.
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 14, 2014
This one is serious
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 14, 2014
There's none unless you decide to change by yourself.. I mean fight it out from within.
a few tips: try not to move around a lot why you are tensed, take deep breaths or remove yourself from the person or people aggravating your mood at that moment.
its really not fun being around people with temper issues.
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 14, 2014
Therapy could help.
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by Kanwulia: 10:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
Walk away! kiss
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by lastmessenger: 2:36pm On Nov 15, 2014
Valeree:
There's none unless you decide to change by yourself.. I mean fight it out from within.
a few tips: try not to move around a lot why you are tensed, take deep breaths or remove yourself from the person or people aggravating your mood at that moment.
its really not fun being around people with temper issues.
Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by lastmessenger: 2:36pm On Nov 15, 2014
Mondisweets:
Therapy could help.
What therapy
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by kemiola89(f): 9:32pm On Nov 15, 2014
You slapped your boss and he still retained you? undecided you are one lucky dude.
Advice; join the Military, there you can Chanel your energy/anger into fighting bad guyz.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by edwife(f): 10:33pm On Nov 15, 2014
I don't think there is any cure,you are what you choose to be.

Jus don't be around what makes you angry,i hardly get angry by the way.

Life is easy that way... smiley
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by veave(f): 6:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
lastmessenger:
From my tenaage years I discovered that I have this anger problem. Then I did not really care much about it cos I just saw it that nobody should ride on and get away it easily.

It got so bad that when I was 20 years in my place of industrial attachment I found myself shouting at an elderly man who is about 70years for the simple reason that I was so hungry to continue working when the elderly man insisted that I keep working.

The positive thing is that I don't get distructive in my anger. I can say things that I should not say to someone that is far older than me. If maybe the person is within my age bracket I can go to the extent of giving him a punch.i remember crying after I disfigured my girls face( since then I void never to touch a woman and I have always abide by that vow)

I met a psychologist who told me that I should convert my anger into a positive anger. In that I should use that anger in fighting for the good of the society.i have tried to live by that wisdom but I often times go back to doing negative things with my anger.

Recently I have found out that am getting out of control.recently i slapped my boss and I thought that I have lost my job but to my surprise he did not fire me.I really need help and I want to change. Please is there a prescription for anger.

You slapped your boss? You better start looking for another job. He'll fire you eventually. When you least expect it. O ti o. Abeg take am jeejee o.
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
When angry,hold your breath,count 1-10,if still angry,count 1-100,by then the anger would have subside..
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by lastmessenger: 8:36pm On Nov 16, 2014
veave:

You slapped your boss? You better start looking for another job. He'll fire you eventually. When you least expect it. O ti o. Abeg take am jeejee o.
Well even him realised that he was wrong
So he just gave me option of no salary for 2months,he did not pay me for the first month then the next month he have me half salary.
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by whao: 11:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
There is no prescription for anger per say but there is what we called ANGER MANAGEMENT in psych.... that can help you manage your anger.

We all know what anger is, Anger is a completely normal, usually healthy, human emotion. But when it gets out of control and turns destructive, it can lead to problems—problems at work like you did slap your boss, in your personal relationships as you design your girlfriends face.... (don't take it personal its just how I counsel), and in the overall quality of your life. And it can make you feel as though you're at the mercy of an unpredictable and powerful emotion.
Easily angered people don't always curse and throw things; sometimes they withdraw socially, sulk, or get physically ill.
People who are easily angered generally have what some psychologists call a low tolerance for frustration, meaning simply that they feel that they should not have to be subjected to frustration, inconvenience, or annoyance. They can't take things in stride, and they're particularly infuriated if the situation seems somehow unjust: for example, being corrected for a minor mistake.
My brother I will share with you the strategies in coping anger especially the chronic one possibly like yours.
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by whao: 11:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
In psychology there is what we call cognitive-behavioral therapy which improved people's control of their anger and reduced their hostility, aggression, and depression. Here are some strategies you can use to simmer down. If you are in a relationship with a hot-tempered partner as a nairalander, you could both benefit from these techniques.

RELAXATION
Simple relaxation tools, such as deep breathing and relaxing imagery, can help soothe angry feelings.

Try these simple steps:
Breathe deeply, from your diaphragm. Breathing from your chest won't relax you, so picture your breath coming up from your "gut."Slowly repeat a calming word or phrase,such as "relax" or "take it easy." Keep repeating it to yourself while breathing deeply. Use imagery. Visualize a relaxing experience from your memory or your imagination. Try non-strenuous, slow exercises. Yoga and similar activities can relax your muscles and calm you down.
Practice these techniques daily. Eventually, you'll be able to use them automatically when you're in a tense situation.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by whao: 11:37pm On Nov 16, 2014
Here is another technique and hope they will be of help to you @op and any ready of this post.

COGNITIVE RESTRUCTURING
Simply put, cognitive restructuring means changing the way you think. When you're angry, your thinking can get overly dramatic. When something goes wrong, you might tell yourself, "Everything's ruined!" With cognitive restructuring, you replace those kinds of thoughts with more reasonable ones. You might tell yourself instead, "This is frustrating, but it's not the end of the world."

Try these strategies:
Avoid words like "never" or "always"when talking about yourself or others. Statements like "This never works" or "You're always forgetting things" make you feel your anger is justified and there's no way to solve the problem. Such statements also alienate and humiliate people who might otherwise be willing to work with you on a solution. Focus on goals. Say you have a friend who's constantly late when you get together. Don't go on the attack. Instead, think about what you want to accomplish. State the problem and then try to find a solution that works for both of you. If that doesn't work, take matters into your own hands. You might tell your friend to meet you half an hour earlier than you plan to arrive, so that he or she will get there when you do. Either way, the problem is solved — without damaging the friendship. Use logic. Even when it's justified, anger can quickly become irrational. Remind yourself that the world is not out to get you and that you're just experiencing one of life's inevitable rough spots. Do this each time you start feeling angry, and you'll get a more balanced perspective. Translate expectations into desires.Angry people tend to demand things, whether it's fairness, appreciation, agreement, or just the willingness to do things their way. We are all hurt, disappointed, and frustrated when we don't get what we want, but don't let disappointment turn into anger. Some people use anger as a way to avoid feeling hurt, but that doesn't make the hurt go away. Instead, become aware of your demanding nature and change your demands into requests. Saying you would like something is healthier than saying you must have it.

I can go on and on to help you secure your normal tempo but its upto you bro, do the rightful thing and don't forget I charge per each therapy and lecture rended. We nairalanders want positive testimonies from you.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by bornosheikh: 1:25am On Nov 17, 2014
You slap your boss! Chai.

Na real red mist.

Eh..Slap am again to collect pay rise sef. By March 2015, if he receives enough slap, him go call you Oga.

....On a serious note....you need to follow the advice above and engage in psychological re-training.
Re: What Is The Prescription For Anger? by MARKone(m): 12:57pm On Nov 17, 2014
The positive thing is that I don't get distructive in my anger .

If maybe the person is within my age bracket I can go to the extent of giving him a punch.i remember crying after I disfigured my girls face( since then I void never to touch a woman and I have always abide by that vow)

Recently I have found out that am getting out of control.recently i slapped my boss

Haha OP, and you said that your are not destructive. Well I also have a very short fuse, coupled with the fact that I stutter, can't advice you.

All the best.

(1) (Reply)

Wishing Family Section Nairalanders A Happy Valentine! / 5 Dumb Beliefs About The Igbos (Fallacies)!!! >>> / Women Are Not To Be Blamed For The Breakup Of Her Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.