Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,578 members, 7,812,877 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry (1704 Views)

Buhari's Revanchist Tendencies And Ethnic Bigotry Revisited / Presidency Officials Accuse Jonathan Of Lying To Nigerians / Genocide: The Consequence Of Ethnic Bigotry? (Hotel Rwanda) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by Anasko(m): 3:19am On Nov 15, 2014
ITSEKIRIS in Delta state have accused President
Goodluck Jonathan of encouraging Ijaw agenda
to exterminate them following the violent threats
from Ijaws of Gbaramatu Kingdom, Warri South
West Area of Delta state which aborted the
Tuesday’s scheduled groundbreaking ceremony
for the $16bn Ogidigben EPZ project by the
President.
President Goodluck Jonathan
In a briefing yesterday in Warri by Itsekiri Leaders
of Thought, the ethnic group in Delta said they
were ready to approach the United Nations to
seek secession and opt for protection under the
United Kingdom or United States in line with
treaties signed with these foreign powers long
before Nigeria’s independence which they claim
have not been abrogated.
The decision read by Secretary to the ILT, Edward
Ekpoko noted, “Itsekiri and other well meaning
Nigerians are surprised at the failure of President
Goodluck Jonathan to commission the
groundbreaking for the EPZ at Ogidigben,
Ugborodo in Warri South West Local Government
area due to threats of Ijaw militants mostly of
Gbaramatu kingdom.
“The EPZ is completely cited in Ogidigben, an
Itsekiri town. The closest Ijaw enclave lying to
the South, Yokiri, is about 14km from Ogidigben.
The other town to the North is Kpokpo. This
Kpokpo has no geographical contiguity with
Ogidigben.’’.
Pa J. O.S Ayomike, Chairman of the ILT, in their
remarks said various court injunctions by courts
of competent jurisdiction held on the land
ownership tussle in the area support the fact that
the entire land space currently occupied by the
Ijaw of Gbaramatu is owned by Itsekiris of
Ugborodo.
“President Jonathan’s refusal to perform the
groundbreaking ceremony of the project as fixed
for Friday was a show of cowardice unexpected of
his office which should stand for the rule of law.
He has shown that he has joined the Ijaw
militants in building fences among the ethnic
nationalities in the Niger Delta and Nigeria.
“Jonathan should know that Itsekiri the world
over will go to the UN to request for secession if
Jonathan and Ijaw want to pursue the
extermination of the Itsekiri people. We will ask
for the protection of the Britain and USA and the
United Nations”, Ayomike, an octogenarian
screamed.
Ekpoko added that, “Jonathan is pursuing an Ijaw
agenda. We will resist it and will never be
intimidated by threats of war and genocide
against the Itsekiri.”
The Itsekiri leaders also took a swipe at Governor
Emmanuel Uduaghan, calling him to resign as
Governor following his failed boast that nobody
can stop Jonathan from coming for the EPZ
groundbreaking.
Ayomike said, “Jonathan has been stopped by the
Ijaw. They have belittled Uduaghan . Uduaghan
boasted that he was governor and that nobody
could stop the president from coming. Now that
his boasting did not yield any result, he should
resign like President Nixon did.
“Jonathan has been intimidated by the militants,
and the Ijaws have grown in fame and importance
so they can control everything, including the
president of Nigeria.’’.
Meanwhile, the Ijaws of Gbaramatu speaking
through Paul Bebenimibo have maintained their
position to see that the EPZ never materialises
until Gbaramatu stakes are as defineds.
Bebenimibo in a phone reaction yesterday said,
“Gbaramatu Ijaws are not at war with their
Itsekiri neighbors. Our leaders are simply saying
what is good for the goose is good for the
gander. We own a large proportion of the EPZ. We
do not deserve to be shut out. Equity is the
password to a successful EPZ. Equity begets
peace. You cannot talk peace in the atmosphere
of injustice and oppression.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/protest-delta-epz-groundbreaking-ceremony-itsekiri-accuse-jonathan-ethnic-bigotry/
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by OAUTemitayo: 3:54am On Nov 15, 2014
GEJ the coward

7 Likes

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by Nobody: 3:56am On Nov 15, 2014
There has always been a cold war between both ethnic groups for years. The governor has done much to maintain peace in the 7years he's been on the hot seat. It's not out of place to see that every average Itsekiri hates the Ijaws just as every average Ijaw hates the Itsekiris. It'll only take God to bring true unity to the relationship between the Ijaws and the Itsekiris. May God help us all.
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by Nobody: 4:16am On Nov 15, 2014
Tompolo is growing wings everyday.
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by humpito(m): 5:02am On Nov 15, 2014
The fear of Tompolo.
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by Mogidi: 5:50am On Nov 15, 2014
GodsMercy1:
There has always been a cold war between both ethnic groups for years. The governor has done much to maintain peace in the 7years he's been on the hot seat. It's not out of place to see that every average Itsekiri hates the Ijaws just as every average Ijaw hates the Itsekiris. It'll only take God to bring true unity to the relationship between the Ijaws and the Itsekiris. May God help us all.

Its not just Ijaws that hates the Itsekiris, the Urhobos hate them too. When Awolowo was premier of Western region he favoured the Itsekiris, made the Olu of Itsekiri to be the Olu of Warri. Itsekiri influence died with the plebiscite of 1963 that carved out the midwest from the western region.

I personally believe the Itsekiris would be better off relocated to Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by nafiachi(m): 6:07am On Nov 15, 2014
This is Tribalism at its peak, Itsekiri oh! Ijaw oh! Hausa Oh! Yoruba oh! Igbo oh! You starve anyone of this na anger and hunger go kill am, you cut am na RED blood go flow. This project may bring good to the Delta people but GEJ's brothers are threatening fire. May God help us, make dem kuku bring the project to my own home town nah.
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by gentleoyink: 6:08am On Nov 15, 2014
It is easy for the Itsekiri's to call the president a coward.

I think GEJ took the best option, which is delay the commissioning, make sure all issues are settled first.

Anybody conversant with the crisis in Warri knows it is very likely that violence would have erupted if GEJ went ahead with the planned commission.

What would their cry have been if it happened?

2 Likes

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by bitterpenis(m): 6:30am On Nov 15, 2014
I be Iteskiri man, e no concern me anyway
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by banki(m): 7:35am On Nov 15, 2014
just a little history.....

Turai and her cabal..... threatened GEJ...... and he was too scared to even assume office, this people were not elected
mr president was as at then the acting commander in chief and president
Lawal Kaita at PDP primaries threatened mr president nothing happened
Asari threatened my president
Tompolo threatened my president
shekau keeps doing the same thing......

SMH for my COMMANDER IN CHIEF,who do I run to when my leader is showing that he dey fear

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by forgiveness: 7:45am On Nov 15, 2014
Mogidi:

Its not just Ijaws that hates the Itsekiris, the Urhobos hate them too. When Awolowo was premier of Western region he favoured the Itsekiris, made the Olu of Itsekiri to be the Olu of Warri. Itsekiri influence died with the plebiscite of 1963 that carved out the midwest from the western region.

Sir, do you know the rightful owner of the land the project was sited which is warri south west?

and the constitutuonal rightful owner or owners of warri?

1 Like

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by ogbronx(m): 7:55am On Nov 15, 2014
banki:
just a little history.....

Turai and her cabal..... threatened GEJ...... and he was too scared to even assume office, this people were not elected
mr president was as at then the acting commander in chief and president
Lawal Kaita at PDP primaries threatened mr president nothing happened
Asari threatened my president
Tompolo threatened my president
shekau keeps doing the same thing......

SMH for my COMMANDER IN CHIEF,who do I run to when my leader is showing that he dey fear
He has asked Nigerians not to call him the C and C. Many gullible pple then took it as a gesture of humility.
When asked about corruption, His reply was he can't go against those milking this country dry for fear of his life.
To fight a cabal on subsidy, he punished the average and poor citizenry instead.
So as to be vindicated of the blatant corruption of himself and his cronies, he tried to inculcate in us that stealing isn't corruption. Meaning is legal to steal?
I wonder how any person with a working brain would vote for such a material for president. For crying out loud, a president is the god close to you that you can see. He could make your life sweet or completely make it hell.

3 Likes

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by omololu2020(m): 8:48am On Nov 15, 2014
This is why the itsekiri must vote for APC in 2015,d APC will not only open d EPZ,it will also chase out all ijaw takin ova itsekiri land.d arrogance of d ijaws in nigeria is gettin out of hand,vote for an APC govt,and wot OBJ did to d pple of odi will b lik a childs play to d one dat will happen to ijaws in warri.
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by wirinet(m): 8:49am On Nov 15, 2014
Mogidi:

And every other tribe in the Nigerdelta love the Ijaws? The Urhobos, the Benis, the Ilajes and others are at peace with the Ijaws, right? Forget the marriage of convenience now with the Igbos, the marriage is predicated on returning Jonathan to power.

The Only language the Ijaws understand is threats and violence. Instead of them to threaten
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by omololu2020(m): 8:49am On Nov 15, 2014
Warri is itskekiri land

1 Like

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by SamIkenna: 10:12am On Nov 15, 2014
Anasko:
ITSEKIRIS in Delta state have accused President
Goodluck Jonathan of encouraging Ijaw agenda
to exterminate them following the violent threats
from Ijaws of Gbaramatu Kingdom, Warri South
West Area of Delta state which aborted the
Tuesday’s scheduled groundbreaking ceremony
for the $16bn Ogidigben EPZ project by the
President.
President Goodluck Jonathan
In a briefing yesterday in Warri by Itsekiri Leaders
of Thought, the ethnic group in Delta said they
were ready to approach the United Nations to
seek secession and opt for protection under the
United Kingdom or United States in line with
treaties signed with these foreign powers long
before Nigeria’s independence which they claim
have not been abrogated.
The decision read by Secretary to the ILT, Edward
Ekpoko noted, “Itsekiri and other well meaning
Nigerians are surprised at the failure of President
Goodluck Jonathan to commission the
groundbreaking for the EPZ at Ogidigben,
Ugborodo in Warri South West Local Government
area due to threats of Ijaw militants mostly of
Gbaramatu kingdom.
“The EPZ is completely cited in Ogidigben, an
Itsekiri town. The closest Ijaw enclave lying to
the South, Yokiri, is about 14km from Ogidigben.
The other town to the North is Kpokpo. This
Kpokpo has no geographical contiguity with
Ogidigben.’’.
Pa J. O.S Ayomike, Chairman of the ILT, in their
remarks said various court injunctions by courts
of competent jurisdiction held on the land
ownership tussle in the area support the fact that
the entire land space currently occupied by the
Ijaw of Gbaramatu is owned by Itsekiris of
Ugborodo.
“President Jonathan’s refusal to perform the
groundbreaking ceremony of the project as fixed
for Friday was a show of cowardice unexpected of
his office which should stand for the rule of law.
He has shown that he has joined the Ijaw
militants in building fences among the ethnic
nationalities in the Niger Delta and Nigeria.
“Jonathan should know that Itsekiri the world
over will go to the UN to request for secession if
Jonathan and Ijaw want to pursue the
extermination of the Itsekiri people. We will ask
for the protection of the Britain and USA and the
United Nations”, Ayomike, an octogenarian
screamed.

Ekpoko added that, “Jonathan is pursuing an Ijaw
agenda. We will resist it and will never be
intimidated by threats of war and genocide
against the Itsekiri.”
The Itsekiri leaders also took a swipe at Governor
Emmanuel Uduaghan, calling him to resign as
Governor following his failed boast that nobody
can stop Jonathan from coming for the EPZ
groundbreaking.
Ayomike said, “Jonathan has been stopped by the
Ijaw. They have belittled Uduaghan . Uduaghan
boasted that he was governor and that nobody
could stop the president from coming. Now that
his boasting did not yield any result, he should
resign like President Nixon did.
“Jonathan has been intimidated by the militants,
and the Ijaws have grown in fame and importance
so they can control everything, including the
president of Nigeria.’’.
Meanwhile, the Ijaws of Gbaramatu speaking
through Paul Bebenimibo have maintained their
position to see that the EPZ never materialises
until Gbaramatu stakes are as defineds.
Bebenimibo in a phone reaction yesterday said,
“Gbaramatu Ijaws are not at war with their
Itsekiri neighbors. Our leaders are simply saying
what is good for the goose is good for the
gander. We own a large proportion of the EPZ. We
do not deserve to be shut out. Equity is the
password to a successful EPZ. Equity begets
peace. You cannot talk peace in the atmosphere
of injustice and oppression.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/protest-delta-epz-groundbreaking-ceremony-itsekiri-accuse-jonathan-ethnic-bigotry/

Why threaten us with secession when the matter is still a mere shouting match between 2 brothers? Are Itshekiris up to 3 million? You know that's the price in human lives for any group that opts for secession. My advice is - USA and queen Eliza won't help u so save yourself the headache. But if you have enough weapon cache then perhaps the time to test if they're working has come.
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by musaibnabdul(m): 11:20am On Nov 15, 2014
From been afraid of Shekau to being afraid of common thugs like Tompolo. Does Nigeria have a government?

2 Likes

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by tinkinjow: 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2014
My view is this: I hope that the oil required for the said plant will be sourced from there and that pipes won't be laid to bring the oil from elsewhere.
If it's truly their land and there are no pipelines from elsewhere then fine, if not please let go. Time has passed when other peoples resources were used to prosper others while the true owners languished in poverty. This is the source of the problems facing Nigeria today. And please any part of Nigeria that wants to secede should do so peacefully by only carving out that part which is known to be theirs without encroaching on others geographical area. And stop this America and UK nonsense. Only e.d.i.o.t.s will come after you if you've done that and God will grant you victory.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by Arch1: 2:27pm On Nov 15, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan is the worst commander-in-chief in the whole world. JonaTAN is a lilly-livered, spinelss coward

1 Like

Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by atlwireles: 2:50pm On Nov 15, 2014
The fiasco that played out two days ago, has only one culprit The Gov of the state Emmanuel Uduaghan. Deltans should vent their anger in his direction. He had 3 years to settle all the inter tribal conflict, somehow he seems to dragging his foot on Delta city gas project.
Re: Epz Groundbreaking Ceremony: Itsekiri Accuse Jonathan Of Ethnic Bigotry by atlwireles: 2:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
tinkinjow:
My view is this: I hope that the oil required for the said plant will be sourced from there and that pipes won't be laid to bring the oil from elsewhere.
If it's truly their land and there are no pipelines from elsewhere then fine, if not please let go. Time has passed when other peoples resources were used to prosper others while the true owners languished in poverty. This is the source of the problems facing Nigeria today. And please any part of Nigeria that wants to secede should do so peacefully by only carving out that part which is known to be theirs without encroaching on others geographical area. And stop this America and UK nonsense. Only e.d.i.o.t.s will come after you if you've done that and God will grant you victory.

(1) (Reply)

Catholic Faithfuls Back Mbaka's Massage - Catholic Laity Council (CLC) / Buhari Went To War College In America For A Year And PDP Call Him Illiterate / Kenyan Lawyer Sue Isreal For Killing Jesus Christ.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.