Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,503 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? (1136 Views)

Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / Does The Bible Discriminate Against Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by McDonalds2014(m): 6:25am On Nov 16, 2014
How do we know that the things in the Bible haven’t been messed with? I know that God treats everyone the same so there’s no way that he looks down on women…so then why isn’t any of Jesus’ disciples women? If a woman was chosen to be a disciple then wouldn’t it be more convincing to those people of his time that God had the power to do anything?
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by nobilis: 7:49am On Nov 16, 2014
The bible seems to be against women because contrary to popular opinion, the bible was written by mere humans, mere mortals. And they were influenced by the cultures in which they were born and in which they lived. In the land of the Jews in the "bible" times, the woman was seen as the cause of man's fall from grace and so in order to keep women in line, they have to be inferior to men. They can't ascend to the altar of God. They can't speak up in the congregation of God's people. In fact, they were just to be seen and never to be heard. And that was exactly the attitude portrayed by the bible against women.

So if you still wanna argue that the Bible was written by your God, it then means you're saying that your God is confined and constrained by his people's culture. Meaning that culture transcends God's teachings and God's love.

I'm happy people are asking such questions.
It leads to seeking to find the truth and not just believing in some dogma or doctrine because the bible said it should be so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by mesoade(m): 8:30am On Nov 16, 2014
I didn't see any verse of the bible against women. Unless you're an atheist or a feminist.
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by Misogynist2014(m): 8:40am On Nov 16, 2014
Bible did not say that women should not lead or do whatever, they just don't want God's words to be in vain by telling women to shut up in church sad.

Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by malakh7: 9:20am On Nov 16, 2014
mesoade:
I didn't see any verse of the bible against women. Unless you're an atheist or a feminist.

In 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, Paul wrote: “As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church” (vv. 33-35).

Also:

“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.” (1 Timothy 2:11-14)
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by mesoade(m): 9:33am On Nov 16, 2014
malakh7:

In 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, Paul wrote: “As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church” (vv. 33-35).

Also:

“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.” (1 Timothy 2:11-14)
all what you Wrote is about women being submissive
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by malakh7: 9:40am On Nov 16, 2014
mesoade:
all what you Wrote is about women being submissive
because they have lower authority than men (see Timothy).
And that brings us back to the topic undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by mesoade(m): 9:53am On Nov 16, 2014
malakh7:

because they have lower authority than men (see Timothy).
And that brings us back to the topic undecided
how does them having lower authority make the bible against them?
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by malakh7: 10:14am On Nov 16, 2014
mesoade:
how does them having lower authority make the bible against them?
very dumb question.
Women aren't slaves...they're the same as us.
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by mesoade(m): 11:08am On Nov 16, 2014
malakh7:

very dumb question.
Women aren't slaves...they're the same as us.
how does them having lower authorities make them slaves? . . So you mean because jonathan is the presido and has right to decide sum situations 4 us makes us slave?
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by malakh7: 11:35am On Nov 16, 2014
mesoade:
how does them having lower authorities make them slaves? . . So you mean because jonathan is the presido and has right to decide sum situations 4 us makes us slave?
[b]It is hard to miss God's meaning when he says something as direct as, "I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."
If you think about it, you will realize that God started this type of sexism at the very beginning of the Bible. In Genesis chapter 17 God says:

This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you.
God makes no mention of forming any sort of covenant with women.
There are many other examples that we can find in the Bible:

In Matthew 25:1 Jesus says: "At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom."
In John 20:17 Jesus says to Mary: "Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father," as though the touch of a woman is somehow improper, but a few verses later, is happy to have Thomas touch him.
In Genesis chapter 3, God punishes Eve, and all women for thousands of years, with greatly increased pain during childbirth. No such pain is inflicted on Adam.
In Ephesians 5:22-24 we find this: "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."
In 1 Peter 3:7 we find: "Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers."
In 1 John 2:13, John says, "I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, dear children, because you have known the Father." No mention is made of women.
And so on. There are many, many examples like these throughout the old and new testaments.
There are other, broader examples of misogyny that are readily apparent in the Bible as well:
Are any of Jesus' disciples women? No.
Are any of the elders in the book of Revelation women? No.
Are any of the books of the Bible written by women? No.
Etc...
God, it would seem, wants nothing to do with women.
Keep in mind that the Bible's misogyny has affected society for centuries. The United States constitution, for example, was originally drafted to specifically deny rights to women. Women could not even vote in the United States until 1920, and only then after decades of battle in the women's suffrage movement.

If you think about it, you will realize that there is something quite odd about this situation. In spite of the fact that the Bible is supposed to be God's eternal Word, modern human beings totally reject God's sexism. Modern human beings completely ignore God:

We make women the CEOs of major corporations.
We elect women to high government offices.
We appoint women as presidents of universities.
We fill our schools with female teachers.
We allow women to speak freely in church.
The contradiction should be as obvious as a lighthouse here. There is no ambiguity. We do all of this in direct defiance of God's Law in the Bible because we know God and his "eternal word" are completely wrong. We know that God is imaginary.
If God is going to take the time to write and publish "the Word of God," why does the book contain so many problems?

Why isn't each page of the Bible astonishing us with its brilliance and insight, and filling us with wonder?
Why, instead, does the Bible contain so much nonsense or, in this case, bigotry?
Why are Christians constantly having to justify, rationalize, excuse and explain the Bible? In this case, we find modern Christians trying to defend a God who obviously hates women on many different levels.
To any unbiased observer, the reason for sexism in the Bible is very easy to understand: The Bible was not written by a "all-knowing", "all-loving",

Source

[/b]
Re: Why Does The Bible Seem Against Women? by Kay17: 11:46am On Nov 16, 2014
These are the undesired consequences of worshipping a 19th century God.

(1) (Reply)

Pope Francis Joins islamic Cleric To Pray In mosque / Muslim Character / lucifer Rising ;2015 Hell Fire Crusade.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.