Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? (39302 Views)

Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... / They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? / Now Employed, 1st Class Graduate Spends First Wage On Billboard To Say Thanks! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by obowunmi(m): 11:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
DAVE5:

dis is d coolest sense making quote av read in a while...

Thx you...

1 Like

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 16, 2014
As a first class graduate, I can authoritatively tell you that there's NO reason why a first class graduate won't get a job...except if the holder lost his/her brain/mind on the voyage from the convocation ground to the labour market. Though spiritual attack can't be ruled out in Africa.

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by hoodboy(m): 11:57pm On Nov 16, 2014
hardbody:
Every first class graduate is an automatic employee of his university of graduation as a lecturer assistant while he pursues his Ph.d. Except he chooses to go get work elsewhere. So there is no he won't get a job. Infact having a first class has nullified all the local juju powers. Again except the guy does not wanna start from somewhere.
in Uniport the job offer is not signed and sealed, even though they claim otherwise.
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by menesheh(m): 1:12am On Nov 17, 2014
For real

Most first class graduates are pretty much focused and good but the dark side of it all is that most lack other skills required to reach competency because of.....

Most are not vast in other fields of study, they only focus on that their particular comfort zone(their field of study), any other knowledge outside their field is no no for them thereby narrowing their knowledge of other skill.

Most first class graduates don't engage in other activities during their time in school (like partying, group discussions etc) which boost other knowledge cus i was thought in school that there are many ways of knowledge acquisitions which may be out ur course outlines. For example a traveler may acquire more knowledge than non traveler cus of sight-seeing and others.

A student that devotes his/her time in reading other books outside his course tend to be more broad and knowledgeable in logistics and problem solving than a first class student that have no time to read other distracting books (like novels etc)

you mostly get real competency from second class whatever than 1st (i know am biased here but the fact)

Some companies feel like 1st class graduates are more lucrative and that they may incur more pay thereby employing their second class or whatever counterparts.

I used "most" in ma write-up which is not applicable to all incase of 1st class attachers
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by chinwe1960: 2:35am On Nov 17, 2014
Nigerian N0 ! Online Bulksms provider,Join the Nigerian favorite bulksms site today visit www.vistasms247.com To get free unit to test our Gateway,very cheap,efficient,and fast in Delivery plus sms Schedule sms 4 future Delivery 4 Details kindly call 08093942115,08093942114,
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by philclem(m): 5:11am On Nov 17, 2014
undecided
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by hardbody: 5:32am On Nov 17, 2014
hoodboy:
in Uniport the job offer is not signed and sealed, even though they claim otherwise.

Enough reason not to waste my time in such a glorified secondary school. Please note that my response is based on your input.
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by hardbody: 5:39am On Nov 17, 2014
Mayour11:

Boss, I no gree at all o, for one department in Funaab, 6 people graduated with a first class, now, do you think the school can retain them.

Except your school is not sure of its products. In reality universities dont generally allow their first class students to go elsewhere. Those are the real 'greater tomorrow' of every institution.
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Capable091: 6:21am On Nov 17, 2014
To be honest with it is a bit difficult for first class graduate not to get a job but it is very possible. i remember when i was posted to an institution during my nysc i didn't meet the registrar and the secretary direct me to someone else. mere gotten to the person, he ask of my name and the school i graduated from which he talk to me nicely but everything change when he realise that i hold a first class degree and the next thing he did was to tell me that he is sorry that they cant accept me. what am saying in essence is that we are going to meet several enemy just because you graduated with first class but as the same there are alot of people who will appreciate you

1 Like

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 17, 2014
englishmart:
Lol! What are you saying? How come I got up to 5 lucrative job offers even before I graduated?
This doesn't happen to all 1st class grad,maybe just a few
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Shinelle(f): 8:56am On Nov 17, 2014
the reason why a first class graduate might not get a job is the same reason why any other graduate may not get a job...
Several factors exist...esp in Nigeria, as such
First class shouldn't give anyone a sense of entitlement
just do ur normal job search, if you get a job fine, it not , save up some money and start something like every other person

First class is a gud result for the hardwork in sch and not a guarantee for a "first class future"...

I hope we all get that future

3 Likes

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Shinelle(f): 8:56am On Nov 17, 2014
cumz:

wrong..currently am on 4.2...
and I don't cram
he didn't say all those on 4.2 are "crammers"...
I guess he means even those that cram cant cram into first class... you have to actually "Know"

I know because im one :-)wink

P.S all these threads dissing first class graduates or aspirants are totally unnecessary in my opinion tho!

1 Like

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Psoul(m): 9:48am On Nov 17, 2014
1st Class Degree, in Nigeria contest is most suitable if u want job in Education Sector especially in the Higher Institutions. If u r looking for a job in other sectors, u may meet hard rocks. This is because most Managers occupying most position are less qualified. Imagine applying for a position where the Head has Second Class, Lower Division, and u are applying to be an Assistant to such Manager. He will think that with ur qualification, U may be made to take over his office or he may even be dropped cos the firm has a higher qualified staff. That is our country for u.

1 Like

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 17, 2014
bendeco:

Just take a look @ ursef.....see as resemble Monkey.... 1st class mugu... lol

hahahahagahahagahagagagagagafs.... guy pls take it easy oh
.. no break my ribs
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 17, 2014
Veckylord:
chisos na u be dis GOD guy u ugly remove fast before d come out pls

lwkmo... funny forum... lol
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by muredo(m): 11:41am On Nov 17, 2014
Must you apply for job alone?
Why not try scholarship?
Am living like a king here in one of the African country
My stipend is equivalent to what Lecturer 1 is having in Nigeria
And after my programme here,am 100% assured that the employment is at my disposal
Even,if I don't want any secular job,I can set up my own firm because I know who I am
I thank God because I live like a king,my monthly rent here is equivalent to N15,000,
Infact I thank God
My advice for colleagues of mine is APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP

3 Likes

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by kccarew(f): 12:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
Might not get a job because he is so proud and arogant...cos iam a firstt class then the people that have been there before you came are now less than u are cos u have a first class, I am talking out of experience..;ust be humble, know like u know nothing
mikky4all:
Was discussing with a friend today and we talked on graduate with first class. I will like to know your opinion and your say on reasons why a first class graduate might not get employed
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Horlamz009(m): 2:26pm On Nov 17, 2014
NO MORE ADMISSION STRESS!!!
Y NOT GET LASU FOUNDATION FORM TO ENROL IN LASU FOUNDATION PROGRAMME JUST FOR A YEAR WHICH WILL GIVE YOU ADMISSION INTO 200LEVEL IF PASSED
NO SCREENING, NO JAMB, NO POST UTME....
ALL YOU NEED IS TO GET THE FORM ND SIT FOR AN ELEMENTARY Exam..
Call:08098356817,08064112371.... For more details
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by hardbody: 4:47pm On Nov 17, 2014
osifred:

Sir you are operating with old information. Due to several factors mostly due to finance and man know man employment is not automatic for first class graduate and I doubt if any institution in Nigeria allows first class students to offer Ph.d straight. If you insist otherwise please support your claim.

I do not have a way of supporting my claim. He who alleges must prove. So since you allege i am wrong and you are right, please buttress your claim with verifiable evidence. I am waiting....
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by mikky4all(m): 6:20pm On Nov 17, 2014
Thanks everyone....... I have really learnt a lot. Plus so happy that my topic made front page. O make sense baje
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by 2ray4sure: 8:34am On Nov 18, 2014
tobechi20:
unless he crammed and poured during exam

that's the secret in Nigeria university La cram La pour make ur first class.
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by osifred(m): 11:14pm On Nov 18, 2014
hardbody:

I do not have a way of supporting my claim. He who alleges must prove. So since you allege i am wrong and you are right, please buttress your claim with verifiable evidence. I am waiting....

We are not fighting we are trying to learn. I am a first class graduate and I know of about two first class graduates that are not employed. I hAve heard the straight to Ph.d thing but up till now I can't find any school offering it.
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by SenatorJames(m): 5:14am On Nov 19, 2014
hardbody:
Every first class graduate is an automatic employee of his university of graduation as a lecturer assistant while he pursues his Ph.d. Except he chooses to go get work elsewhere. So there is no he won't get a job. Infact having a first class has nullified all the local juju powers. Again except the guy does not wanna start from somewhere.
That was then when industries were still in good condition and they have attractive employment packages, like attractive salary, official house and car etc, university try all possible means to retain their best graduates to remain in the academic line, because they don't have enough lecturers, but its no more so today.

Secondly, it still depends on some department. You cant tell me that a department that produces 5 to 7 first class students yearly, will retain all of them.

Lastly, the department the student is graduating from will also determine whether he/she will be retain or not, there is no way the school will not grap you if you dear manage to graduate in such departments e.g Geology, Architecture, Earth science, URP etc

1 Like

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by hardbody: 5:28am On Nov 19, 2014
osifred:

We are not fighting we are trying to learn. I am a first class graduate and I know of about two first class graduates that are not employed. I hAve heard the straight to Ph.d thing but up till now I can't find any school offering it.

Interesting. All the first class graduates from my uni are retained and the process i explained is what obtains. I did not stay for personal reasons but i also never searched for work. I guess its different strokes for different folks. Cheers
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by hardbody: 8:12am On Nov 19, 2014
osifred:

I am surprised at this. Every school i know has that provision in place. It is more like an unwritten rule. I did not take up that opportunity because i was more interested in doing something else. Let us say i socialized well and was not really cut out for lecturing. I might still go back though.

Meanwhile, the straight to Ph.d opportunity is usually given by your school of graduation. I would imagine that most other universities will insist you run an M.Phil first and then proceed upon acquiring the minimum grade points.

In all, lets make the best we can of the opportunities we have, whether within the citadel or out of it. PEACE

1 Like

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by hardbody: 8:17am On Nov 19, 2014
SenatorJames:
That was then when industries were still in good condition and they have attractive employment packages, like attractive salary, official house and car etc, university try all possible means to retain their best graduates to remain in the academic line, because they don't have enough lecturers, but its no more so today.

Secondly, it still depends on some department. You cant tell me that a department that produces 5 to 7 first class students yearly, will retain all of them.

Lastly, the department the student is graduating from will also determine whether he/she will be retain or not, there is no way the school will not grap you if you dear manage to graduate in such departments e.g Geology, Architecture, Earth science, URP etc

OK Sir. I defer to your persuasive argument, rightly or wrongly.

More important though is to make the first class and then see what happens thereafter. For me, having a first class and not immediately finding a job is a better problem to have than having a lower grade. I was working in a certain bank when one guy was employed ahead of me. He had a third class. He was given the job because our overall boss then was his parley. When Management laid the big boss off, it did not take time before this other guy was also asked to go. Between then and now, i have held down at least 4 other jobs, purely on merit, that guy is still claiming to be working for himself. We all know the story behind that self employment. My point again, make the grade an take it from there. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by klbakare(m): 11:02am On Nov 20, 2014
wait ooooo, am a little bit confused,if a person graduates with a first class honours, does it mean he/she will skip masters and go straight to ph.d?
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by calculator123(m): 11:09am On Dec 01, 2015
klbakare:
wait ooooo, am a little bit confused,if a person graduates with a first class honours, does it mean he/she will skip masters and go straight to ph.d?
YES very possible.but you really have to know ur onions
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 01, 2015
calculator123:
YES very possible.but you really have to know ur onions
Aside the school one graduated from, which other school does that?
Re: Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? by thaddeus12(m): 8:10pm On Jul 23, 2017
NobleG1:
Because first class in a mushroom Nigerian Uni. is crap.

pqmeup:
(In Omawunmi's voice) If u ask me,na who I go ask? D matter wey you see so,e tey wey e staaaarrrrrtttt!!!

God Almighty I need first class . no matter the university every other things will come around . this is my prayers through Jesus Christ . please good thing worth appreciate I beg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Graduate Trainee At Diamond Bank Plc / My Ordeal With GNLD Neolife Today / 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.