Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,689 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Find Out Yourself If Your Infant's Weight Is Normal - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Find Out Yourself If Your Infant's Weight Is Normal (4597 Views)

Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? / My Husband Doesn't Want Me To Be Close To His Brothers. Is He Normal? / I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Find Out Yourself If Your Infant's Weight Is Normal by DrAda(f): 3:35am On Apr 09, 2016
n Paediatrics, we use different formula to roughly access whether a child's weight is normal for age. I see no reason why all parents shouldn't be armed with this information as well.

So let's begin. Things you would need for this are a weighing scale and perhaps a calculator. To learn how to weigh your child, you can refer to my earlier post on this.

So for children that are 1 year and below (infants), we use this formula

(n + 9) /2

The n is in months and the weight gotten is in kg. Simple enough right?

Okay, let's work with an example. To check if the weight of a 5 month old is normal, simply add 5 to 9 which is 14 and divide by 2. You should get 7kg. So,the ideal baby's weight is 7kg.

Now, what if your 5 month old's weight is below 7kg. For instance, let's say 5kg. Well, just divide your child's actual weight with the ideal weight and multiply by 100. So, in this case 5/7 x 100 is 71.4%.

So how can one interpret that? Well, any weight above 60% and below 80% of the ideal weight is regarded as undernutrition. In the example, the child's weight is 71.4% of normal which is above 60% but below 80% so the baby is undernourished and needs to be fed more often with appropriate food to get back to the ideal weight.

If the weight calculated is below 60%, the child is malnourished and needs to be taken to a hospital for treatment. On the other hand, if your baby is so huge that the weight is 120% or above of expected, then your baby is equally malnourished and needs to see a doctor.

The normal weight is from 80% to below 120%.

So, I hope you had fun, because I know I did. Will post later the formula to determine the ideal weight of children older than a year.

For more information on child care. Visit www.kiddiesmatters.com

Re: Find Out Yourself If Your Infant's Weight Is Normal by akee01(m): 3:57am On Apr 09, 2016
Nice one
Re: Find Out Yourself If Your Infant's Weight Is Normal by DrAda(f): 6:53am On Apr 09, 2016
akee01:
Nice one
Thank you. I only hope my posts helps someone.
Re: Find Out Yourself If Your Infant's Weight Is Normal by bolseas(f): 7:26am On Apr 09, 2016
DrAda:
Thank you. I only hope my posts helps someone.

Yes. Most of your posts are helpful.

(1) (Reply)

The Cost Of Getting Married To A Poor Family / Why Do Men Want To Eat Their Cake And Have It? / I Just Disflowered Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.