Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (46788 Views)

Help! If You're Using Naira Atm Cards Abroad, What Is The Exchange Rate ? / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Danke1: 3:36am On Dec 06, 2008
Busy_body:

Na seriously, not joking, he was referring to whatever90 grin grin grin He is too much of a gentleman to say that about me cheesy cheesy cheesy

u see say ur head no dey correct again,im yet to see any whatever90 post on dis thread tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 3:49am On Dec 06, 2008
Danke.:

u see say ur head no dey correct again,I'm yet to see any whatever90 post on this thread tongue

okay make I go find someone wey fit abuse well well to come and join me in abusing whatever90 and her mouth wey resemble fowl yansh own, since she no dey thread cheesy cheesy cheesy Shay you go referee us and chose winner, but I have to win sha, as per me and you be paddy grin grin grin

I feel like teasing Tope2000 again tonight, she don step up and dropped those riff raff "drop your pata" guys, na so so long long post she dey write since, I know she's trying to impress and sink her claws into a new catch, but who is he? Who else writes long posts on Nairaland? I better go and warn Sisterwoman and Topup to hold their men well well grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 3:58am On Dec 06, 2008
Ebony-Silk:

See how she ran dreeldee off this thread? shocked shocked

The boy sef no get liver

Don't worry, you can manage Brash,what am i talking sef, Brash will manage you like that tongue until we talk dreeldee round grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 4:23am On Dec 06, 2008
Busy_body:

Don't worry, you can manage Brash,what am i talking sef, Brash will manage you like that tongue until we talk dreeldee round grin grin grin
Abomination!! Brash na my younger aburo
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2008
@topic
been going through the whole threads but have refrained from contributing untill now because it seems everyone has already the most of what i wanted to,however i must stress here that i do not see anything wrong in travelling to another country provided you have a clear cut purpose,timetable and try your best not to depend on any individual or family for your stay in either the uk,usa or any western world, i really cant directly relate to many people's experiences here concerning getting a job to support oneself as i never had any reason to neither do i intend to till i go back home,so i cant give advices concerning that aside from saying that you should have a realistic budget of how much living expenses will be in the uk rather than relying on a family member/friend whose finances you dont have a clue about, most people who treat their friends or family shabilly do so because of their dire financial situation and not because they are naturally cold or wicked and while there might be so many things wrong with the united kingdom,i personally think its better than the united states and would still choose the uk faced with a choice of the two
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by busybody20: 10:06pm On Dec 07, 2008
Busy_body:

Madam

You have an unfinished business here. grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-194989.192.html
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by MrCrackles(m): 10:09pm On Dec 07, 2008
Did i hear my monika on this thread?! shocked
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 07, 2008
Without reading through all the pages, I've got just this to say:

Do your homework and research.
A lot of people are only too willing to jump ship without any clear plan what they intend to do.

Why would anyone venture into the unknown?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by tope2000(f): 11:37pm On Dec 07, 2008
You are BACK shocked shocked shocked kiss
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by halori: 1:48am On Dec 08, 2008
There is no place like home, You can make your millions Abroad, but a penny at home restores your Identity. Money is not everything. There is madness here called Nigeria, there is law yet people are living lawlessly. Poor infrastructure still decaying. All these abnormalities affects and moulds someones psyche. You can fulfill your destiny anywhere, but some places gives you better opportunity and faster.

when someone tell me he wants to relocate abroad, the first question I ask is "what are you going there to do?" This is a difficult question for many. And believe, so many people wanting to go out of Naija, have to Idea what they want to go there to do. Some will tell you that " am going to hussle, " This is really ridiculous. Many hope to go and do some lowly job so that even if they make a little Dollars of Euro, that will amount to so much in Naira, this is the mentality of very many, but now the world economy is going crazy.

I have a good friend in the UK, for the past 7 years he has been there and each time I call him and ask him "how you dey?' he will just say we are doing nothing here " And I will retort, Why cant you just come back, he will say, I am thinking about this seriously,

I have another pal living now in Canada, and dont ask me how you landed there, it was a serial nightmare, and last year he enventually got his green card and came home, his family has been here alone for over 6 years, his last son/child was 4 months when he left Naija, by the time he is back the boy is 6yrs, Uptill now , the family is still here processing one document to another, when I ask him about all these troubles , he will say God will fix everthing, This guy was a senior manager here in Lagos in one of the blue chip telecom companies, before he was inspired to leave for greener pastures.

Dont do things because others are doing.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Danke1: 2:40am On Dec 08, 2008
Siena:

Without reading through all the pages, I've got just this to say:

Do your homework and research.
A lot of people are only too willing to jump ship without any clear plan what they intend to do.

Why would anyone venture into the unknown?

is dis siena or his twin brother shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

i missed u ooo siena wink
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 3:59am On Dec 08, 2008
Lol. . . thanks buddies.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 11:07am On Dec 08, 2008
siena is back. wink
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 11:29am On Dec 08, 2008
My advice for those who are abroad . . . arm yourself with as much degrees and work experience that will stand you way above your peers in Nigeria. While doing that please and please look for business connections in Nigeria. Its a waste of time thinking you can live on your foreign salary alone.

After a few years get a good job possibly in a foreign company in Nigeria . . . there are many and go back home to live in peace. I[b] don't fancy spending 30yrs paying mortgage on a home that wont ever be mine.  [/b]

@above quote from Davidylan,agree with you whole heartedly.and as for the bolded part,me sef no understand o prefer the brick laying naija style.but people have started getting mortages in naija too sha.but trust naija banks u will put down 50% of the money so the repayments are quite manageable.would rather be paying mortage on my property back home than one 2/2 house here.

as at this morn,the pound is equivalent to 146 naira and still falling :' see me doing shakara when it was 182 .But as others have said the good news is that people in nigeria can start sending money  to us here.Me too i will start flashing my sis,my aunty and my cousins so they will starte sending me western union. grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by debosky(m): 4:49pm On Dec 08, 2008
@ David

oh ye of little faith! If I do get a mortgage I don't intend to spend 30 years paying it off, I'll achieve that sooner by God's grace with wise planning and prudence. I do get your drift though, have a good plan for repaying not thinking 'it's only $600 per month'.

The key is understanding the system - living in the UK/US with naija mentality will be unwise. While you don't swallow everything hook line and sinker, you do need to make the system work for you and benefit where you can, while using any good traits you learned in naija to improve on your lot in a foreign land.

PS - Not like busy_body wey just dey collect government money anyhow o! grin

Although you can just fashi and declare bankcruptcy, wait for 5 years (or how long is it?) for it to be wiped off your record and start borrowing again! grin grin

I repeat - understand the system and make it work to your advantage.

For example: Don't wait till you have £200,000 to buy a house while dashing money away to a landlord all in the name of 'I hate borrowing money' or 'I want to pay cash for my house'. That mentality keeps some guys in rented homes for decades when they could've paid for their own homes.

Don't depend on family members! Nothing ruins such relationships more than money issues - keep family bonds strictly that, not financial, if you can help it that is.

Be patient! DON'T be in any rush to 'prove' to those in naija that you've arrived. No one will repay your credit card bill for you because you blew $2000 just to 'show off' for Christmas. People get debt recovery at their doors and start denying their own names because of gbese. 'Looking for Segun? Erm no oh, he is in Nigeria on vacation, he will be back next year. I am his cousin Olu' grin grin

AVOID borrowing to people! This is a personal thing - anything I can 'give' I will - i.e, if you don't return it, my life will still go on. There's nothing worse than chasing people around for money when it is crucial for you to use it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2008
debosky:

@ David

oh ye of little faith! If I do get a mortgage I don't intend to spend 30 years paying it off, I'll achieve that sooner by God's grace with wise planning and prudence. I do get your drift though, have a good plan for repaying not thinking 'it's only $600 per month'.

The key is understanding the system - living in the UK/US with naija mentality will be unwise. While you don't swallow everything hook line and sinker, you do need to make the system work for you and benefit where you can, while using any good traits you learned in naija to improve on your lot in a foreign land.

PS - Not like busy_body wey just dey collect government money anyhow o! grin

Although you can just fashi and declare bankcruptcy, wait for 5 years (or how long is it?) for it to be wiped off your record and start borrowing again! grin grin

I repeat - understand the system and make it work to your advantage.

For example: Don't wait till you have £200,000 to buy a house while dashing money away to a landlord all in the name of 'I hate borrowing money' or 'I want to pay cash for my house'. That mentality keeps some guys in rented homes for decades when they could've paid for their own homes.

Don't depend on family members! Nothing ruins such relationships more than money issues - keep family bonds strictly that, not financial, if you can help it that is.

Be patient! DON'T be in any rush to 'prove' to those in naija that you've arrived. No one will repay your credit card bill for you because you blew $2000 just to 'show off' for Christmas. People get debt recovery at their doors and start denying their own names because of gbese. 'Looking for Segun? Erm no oh, he is in Nigeria on vacation, he will be back next year. I am his cousin Olu' grin grin

AVOID borrowing to people! This is a personal thing - anything I can 'give' I will - i.e, if you don't return it, my life will still go on. There's nothing worse than chasing people around for money when it is crucial for you to use it.

a crucial lesson that my hubby learnt in a very HARD way.he has learnt now sha,the guy used to be a sucker for 'problem' stories.and yeah,trying to show off to those in naija is disatrous. thank God me i dont know people i have to show off to grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by kokorunna(m): 2:54pm On Dec 09, 2008
Don't get yourself involved in fast money e.g 419 business or else you will end up in JAIL.

www.churchwhereabouts.com
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by bawomolo(m): 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2008
i really can't directly relate to many people's experiences here concerning getting a job to support oneself as i never had any reason to neither do i intend to till i go back home

it would be better to gain some experience in the Uk before going home. the job market in nigeria is very very competitive. do your parents have some serious connect or something. put me on bro cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by SeanT21(f): 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2008
Siena:

Lol. . . thanks buddies.

BIG BROTHER IS BACK!!

CALLS FOR A CELEBRATION!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 10:15pm On Dec 11, 2008
busybody20:

Madam

You have an unfinished business here. grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-194989.192.html

Didn't want to go there to spare your blushes, but since you insist - using the same words 3 times in over 1500 posts is not overuse, thats hardly 0.00000000000000000000000000000-5 % cheesy Next cool

@
Debosky zip it angry and zip it  lipsrsealed Don't let on that the percentage is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off tangent please, abeg let me shine small grin grin grin Have just seen your profile pics, gosh those chiselled and well-stuctured cheekbones are sending chills up my spine and are to die for kiss
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 11, 2008
I will advise you to carry your house along on your head while going so you won't be homeless over there. Don't mind me dude.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 10:41pm On Dec 11, 2008
bigmodo:

I will advise to carry your house along while going so you won't be homeless over there.

You never fail to crack me up big time dude, keep it up grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by debosky(m): 3:09pm On Dec 12, 2008
@ Busybody

mum's the word wink

[size=3pt]I no want Mr busybody to swear for me oh![/size]

One more thing: Systems are being tightened - even 'minor' offences can get you deported these days so watch out.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jan 09, 2009
I am going to face the issue of being able to save in Naija as opposed to the west.
This comparison is based on having a graduate job in naija and in the west.
Everyone claiming that you save more in naija is absolutely wrong. For one, it also depends on your job. I'm speaking from an Engineering point of view.
Anyway, if we compare the perks, you're not saving more in naija because a lot of people in naija live sub par lives.
If you compare the fact that you pay for 24/7 power, water, good roads and the likes, you'll realize what i'm talking about.
Do you know how much it costs to run a diesel generator in Nigeria? IF you want to be fair, if you'd rather live in nigeria, then you'd want uninterrupted power supply and you'll have to factor in the cost of maintaining ur diesel engine and diesel fuel (easily > 50,000 per month)
With the kind of roads we have in naija, car maintenance can run in the thousands as well.
If you want to compare two scenarios, they have to be done using the same "Basis". Do you know how much it will cost you to rent a good apartment in a good neighborhourd. You'd probably want to live in lekki/v.i.
It's really not that cheap in naija.(lagos)

Saving is not a good reason. If you're tired of the west, then go home.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by jidex89200(m): 7:25am On Jan 09, 2009
The simple truth to the sitution has been spelled out. Life, living in either Nigeria, england, The United States or any other western world is not easy at all. People are saying that, " when they came here, they were washing dishes and other blue collar jobs". Well, what do people expect, to just land and become CEO of microsoft, No disrespect meant. I live in the United States, I have a Blue Collar job. The truth is that nothing good can never come easy except u are just lucky. I am 19 years old about to turn 20, I am happy and fortunate that i cam here at a very young age, specifically, 15 and i am in the University. From my view of thing, the best chance for someone to see the good of the western world is for the person to come at a young age. If you come at a old age, it would be kind of difficult to cope. My parents live in Nigeria and they said they can never live here. People view thing differently. My adivise is that, people who are successful and doing ok in nigeria should stay there and plan to bring their kids over and people who are trying to make it should come over here. The truth is, the road will not be easy but it will sure end good if you try you best. Like Tai Sholarin said, "May you road be rough". Its not a curse, its the truth of life.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by dayokanu(m): 8:22am On Jan 09, 2009
I dont agree with all these negatives about living abroad.

You cant tell a gaduate who has searched for a job in Naija for 7 years not to travel out even if its Tajikistan.

Do you know How many people are unemployed graduates in Nigeria?

Before you go abroad, Have a well defined plan and dont just get lost in the place

Below is a picture of people waiting to write a bank aptitude test in Lagos whom were later dispersed with tear gas.

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by kokori2: 8:24am On Jan 09, 2009
THE POUND TO NAIRA IS EXCHANGED @N210.WHICH FOREX MKT UNA DEY DO UR OWN?

DIDN'T U ALL HEAR THAT SOLUDO INTENTIONALLY DEVALUED THE NAIRA?
A $ IS NOW N142,
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:52am On Jan 09, 2009
damiso:
Between,i think nigerians have to get past the fact that some jobs are degrading.there is dignity in labour and i think cleaning train stations is better than doing yahoo yahoo.I will respect a LAWMA(lagos sate waste management management authority) cleaner better than a yahoo boy because the cleaner worked for his money.Our no 1 problem and what irks me the most in naija(believe me i love naija more than anywhere in this world) is our 'i am better than u'syndrome.There was this stupid idiot boy i went to uni with who said 'what i hate about london is the fact that you will be seeing MD entering train with cleaner' can u beat that mentality.I hate london for alot of reasons but not for something as superficial as that.The head of my SBU at work earns good money both as salary and bonuses but takes the train to work.Even when fasola succeeds with metro rail i have friends who are just SBO's in banks that will never take it.So they will start taking the same train as cleaners?lai lai whick kain levels be that?they must park their new honda civic in the car park o.

This is so true! Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 09, 2009
well, i have live in several countries in Europe, US and also south-africa, this puts me in a position to contribute to this thread,

in all this countries i have been working professionally but the truth is living abroad and living in Nigeria is a state of the mind and not really a state of the country, let me explain

IN foreign countries u see ur tax working but in Nigeria u provide everything for urself now wat baffles me is we see a lot of Nigerians complain all the time that abroad it is not like this it is not like that but when u take a critical look at some of these folks complaining they r probably living a minimum wage life abroad. all my years in europe i never had need for a car cos the transportation system was good so why pay tax on owning a car??until i moved to US a different story.

well no insult intended but if u have studied foreign economics for a while you would understand that in most cases the economy of these countries is deceitful, deceitful in the sense that u think you are making money you are sending money home, you have a house a car children are in good schools etc, well after some years probably 5 to 10 years try come back to naija u would find ur mates that u started with in Naija have left u behind and have gone too far and you are wondering how did this happen

if you are living abroad do u have a return plan or do u want to regret like my uncle after 20 something years he wishes he returned from US to naija meanwhile he does not know how to cope or where to start from when he returns to Nigeria.

except you don't work professionally in Europe cos if u do u would know that as u r climbing the social ladder so is ur tax climbing, it gets to a point after tax and mortgage you r left to basically nothing and that is when u would start sending ur cv back home.

everybody has a right to live where ever he wants to live but the truth is when making these decision are sure u would not regret it when u start getting old??. don't allow desperado be ur guidance in such decisions

i am back to naija now fully and i am happy i came back although at first i was complaining but now i make things happen , by generator, borehole, etc u know the rest

my only advice is when you are abroad do u have a return plan?? if you do then work hard to make it happen and dont get carried away

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by OTEGA1: 9:23am On Jan 09, 2009
hello its a nice topic. its not bad doing what u call odd jobs 2 survive. The average nigerian taste for life is too hi, in the us u see nice people old folks doing resturant work, selling with walmat andall big outlet with great joy . so am suprised why people say they do odd jobs.
in the states if u are a doctor or an engineer then u can hit it big soon.
if u have a nice masters in any discpline u will get a job b4 u graduate all my folks are employed in the blue chips company of the world, i mean the mobils .the chevrons the sheels, the slumbergers, haliburton and othjers too much 2 mention, i mean thes guys live large in the states, so it up to thne kind of professional u want 2 be. of course u can add ur green card to the to make life colourful, iys up 2 u
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by koko777(m): 10:29am On Jan 09, 2009
Interesting topic, big up poster, pls tell them make them hear,
Pls Nairalanders check out this blog; http://babajidesalu./ it's a diary of a Nigerian returnee, lot of things to learn from his experiences abroad and his present status in Naija.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by adconline(m): 11:09am On Jan 09, 2009
A trained lawyer in Naija doing care work abroad, to me is a degradation. Argue it from today till tommorrow, I wont shift my stance on this. There's a difference between a professional and layman.

Have you seen a UK trained lawyer doing care work? If the Nigerian trianed lawyer can retrain in UK, he/she can get a better paying job. Obama once worked at Dairy Queen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of Ikoyi, Lagos (video) / The Wonders Of Ladder-like 240km-long Yaxi “skyroad” Expressway In China / A Fellow Passenger Did This Inside A Taxi. Who Is Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.