Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (46761 Views)

Help! If You're Using Naira Atm Cards Abroad, What Is The Exchange Rate ? / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 10, 2009
I thinks its beta for the graduates to come back home, but if they refuse that means they are enjoying the security there, people dont cheat each other, they even enjoy there political environment, the whether is even an air conditon on its own, siren environment, i can even pack plates self to sustain myself if i were the one, but God forbid that I do that.

Nigeria is my father's land, I can only go and study therem get some MBA, and put it into practical to develop Nigeria.

Much love, nairalanders
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by ohaechesi(m): 8:42pm On Jan 10, 2009
The issue of someone relocating to abroad should be an individual thing. whole lot of people on this thread make emphasis on educated ones that relocated abroad, why don't we revert to those that did not see the four halls of high instutution and today, their encounter in the western world has changed their lives complete. someone on this thread said he or she notice changes on his or her visit to Nigeria. Mint cars and beautiful buildings, i want to give you and assignment. Ask question concerning the owners of most buildings and good cars you saw. Honestly, most of them belongs to those based in abroad. My advice to any one residing in abroad or in Nigeria is to keep your head straight. Its not rosary at all time no matter where you find your self.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Hauwa1: 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2009
someone said the Rich people do not complain only the poor people are complaining. oh well, the rich are always working so others do the complaining for them.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by reindeer: 10:30pm On Jan 10, 2009
I think relocating abroad is about your long term plans, if coming over to the Uk or US will factor in towards a better deal for the future after a realistic assesment of chances, then its most likely a good idea, but travelling out of nija without clear cut goals and skills for adapting is practically suicidal.
May God help us all achieve our dreams.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by 9ja4eva: 12:13am On Jan 11, 2009
@Poster,

This is my "BEST THREAD" on nairaland.Thanks for speaking the truth.

Hopefully people learn and face reality.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 11, 2009
Not that bad at all. Nigerians coming to study have the better chance cause they are definitely getting employed after finishing.(Please don't give me just two examples to dispute this cause I can give you thousands). Only if those Nigerian carpenters, mechanics, electricians etc have a chance at coming here, they'll make huge load money cause the ones here are lazy and not so skilled compared to the ones I know in naija. I don't know about other places but I know of Canada. They need those kind of labour really bad and they try as much as possible to retain them by giving them and their families Permanent residence after 1.5yr and citizenship after 3yrs since getting PR.

It's not bad at all!!! Just speak English that's all. people get great pay here. when I was like 17 I went to see my mum in London from Nigeria and I did this club promoting job which pays better than 9-5 in London cause some nights you make up to 300 pounds depending on how many peeps you brought into the club.  I'll advice those without work permit to do it as you don't pay taxes. You get pay cash at the end of the night and you get to talk to alot of people. I came back to Nigeria with all I wanted including the then just released PS2 and all the newest kicks and clothes,  ABEG JAND SWEET ooo. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by JJYOU: 12:42am On Jan 11, 2009
*Hauwa*:

someone said the Rich people do not complain only the poor people are complaining. oh well, the rich are always working so others do the complaining for them.

you get most things free and easier so no need to complain that is unless you are a natural winno
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by felifeli: 1:04am On Jan 11, 2009
9jaganja:

when I was like 17 I went to see my mum in London from Nigeria and I did this club promoting job which pays better than 9-5 in London  grin grin grin grin grin

And how old are you now  if I may ask ; and when was the last time you visited London ? given that this thread is about current affairs and not history  cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 1:15am On Jan 11, 2009
felifeli:

And how old are you now  if I may ask ; and when was the last time you visited London ? given that this thread is about current affairs and not history  cheesy

I'm 23 now!! and I was in London in 2007 before and after the Notting Hill carnival and the job was still going on. I did it to buy a return ticket to Toronto just for the fun of it. It's easy!!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by fayahsoul: 5:12am On Jan 11, 2009
Canada is a cold, racists, uncultured, boring, depressing, pretentious and cheesy country. A lot of gays too.

Life here is crapy and it kills the spirit. What an abormination we call western civilization.

I will be out of here by 2010 max.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 5:20am On Jan 11, 2009
fayahsoul:

Canada is a cold, racists, uncultured, boring, depressing, pretentious and cheesy country. A lot of gays too.

Life here is crapy and it kills the spirit. What an abormination we call western civilization.

I will be out of here by 2010 max.

HAHAHAH! Bro sheriff, what has Canada done to you? You are waiting to get your citizenship I know. But it isn't that bad if you organize with your own people.Where are you planning to move to? Hope not USA cause it's more racist out there. Peace.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jan 11, 2009
9jaganja:

HAHAHAH! Bro sheriff, what has Canada done to you? You are waiting to get your citizenship I know. But it isn't that bad if you organize with your own people.Where are you planning to move to? Hope not USA cause it's more racist out there. Peace.

Actually, the United States is the least racist developed nation. Go to europe and you'll know what i'm talking about.
Anyway, as for relocating, if you feel your situation in Nigeria is nothing to live for and you feel you can make it elsewhere then leave.
As for people who have "Good" jobs and decide to leave Nigeria, well if the "Job" is so good, why did they decide to leave in the first place?
I mean y would one leave certainty for uncertainty?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by f6(m): 11:20am On Jan 11, 2009
It's true what the poster has said, but i would say it all comes to down to you as an individual, I came into the uk in 2007, yes i dropped out of university in nigeria literally in my final year, but now i have no regrets because so far i've been very disciplined with my master plan. Im currently at the Anglia Ruskin Uni in cambridge and currently work part-time as a T-mobile retention agent, which is my only source of income and caters well for my rent, my fees and what not, So it all boils down to what you to chose to do and how convinient it is for you, and if you want it you'll get it , the conditions of living in england are way far better than back in Nigeria and theres a wider spread of oppurtunities to inhabitants whether educated or not here than it is in nigeria, It obviously has its downside as it works out to be very expensive to live in , but if u do the right thing here, you will go on to cherrish it for the rest of your life regardless of what country you chose to relocate too, this is my stand
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 2:25pm On Jan 11, 2009
f6:

It's true what the poster has said, but i would say it all comes to down to you as an individual, I came into the uk in 2007, yes i dropped out of university in nigeria literally in my final year, but now i have no regrets because so far i've been very disciplined with my master plan. I'm currently at the Anglia Ruskin Uni in cambridge and currently work part-time as a T-mobile retention agent, which is my only source of income and caters well for my rent, my fees and what not, So it all boils down to what you to chose to do and how convinient it is for you, and if you want it you'll get it , the conditions of living in england are way far better than back in Nigeria and theres a wider spread of oppurtunities to inhabitants whether educated or not here than it is in nigeria, It obviously has its downside as it works out to be very expensive to live in , but if u do the right thing here, you will go on to cherrish it for the rest of your life regardless of what country you chose to relocate too, this is my stand

Good luck to you. smiley Not trying to call you out, but you have only been in the Country for a year, so how are you able to afford the foreign students fees which is going to be around an average of £7,000 on your Tmobilr retention, except you have done some wuru wuru or mago mago undecided

Even if you got married to a citizen, you have not been in the country for three years to qualify for home student fees, so my take is that if you are prepared to do the same wuru wuru/mago mago in Nigeria, you could make it too. Mind you I said could, because you are obviously on a three year course, which you only just started, so you shouldn't be counting your chickens yet wink

Bottomline is that both Nigeria and Diaspora is good as long as you are not averse to bending the rules smiley
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by jemilady: 2:29pm On Jan 11, 2009
For me relocating abroad is not what you do in a hurry, you need to think well and hard. Your reason must never be about quick money, becos there is not legitimate quick money to make unless you are into entertainment. It helps to do good scouting and not rely on here say, it would save you a lot of headache and disappointments.

My husband and I, have been flirting with the idea for about four years plus now, he started with the one year masters program in Scotland, from there migrated to the two year leave to remain residence permit, from there to highly skilled and now back to student visa where he is doing his phd at the moment.

All this while, i have remained in Nigeria with the kids and only travel for holidays and return, its not that i would not want to relocate but  even with my so many years in IT, employers keep asking for UK experience and if you say you don't have would want to start you at the bottom of the ladder

For us the relocation choice, is becos of the Kids, to broaden their opportunities.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2009
fendx4:

. . . Without wanting to contradict a post I had previously read that the hairdresser lady from Owo, Ondo State now has two properties : London and Nigeria. I can tell you for a fact that there are 26 year olds building and buying houses here in Nigeria. I was as stunned as you could be reading this post until I calculated the age this UNILAG Graduate, KPMG working boy, ICAN Associate had built his house! Was he lucky? No, he was focused, in Nigeria!

dayokanu:

The boy in question is not telling you the truth. The starting salary in KPMG, PWC and delloitte is about N150,000 per month. after working for 4 years even managers in these organisations earn like 700k per month.

Do you know how much it costs to buy land and build a house in Nigeria? Maybe the guy is doing some other things he is not telling you. I am not insinuating illegit. But he is not building the house on his salary.

Likewise the cleaner with the two mortgages in London wink Not insinuating anything too, but we all know that prior to the global credit crunch which commenced last August 2007, it was possible for an illegal immigrant in UK to get a mortgage. Heck it was and still is even possible for an illegal immigrant to become a Mortgage Broker in the UK. UK is sweet smiley

fendx4:

Again it is misleading to think that your location determines your relevance in life. If you have nothing to offer, life will never recognise you.

In a nutshell, you can be all you can be if you want to be irrespective of location, creed, color or race

I concur o jare cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by f6(m): 3:12pm On Jan 11, 2009
Busy_body:

Good luck to you. smiley Not trying to call you out, but you have only been in the Country for a year, so how are you able to afford the foreign students fees which is going to be around an average of £7,000 on your Tmobilr retention, except you have done some wuru wuru or mago mago undecided

Even if you got married to a citizen, you have not been in the country for three years to qualify for home student fees, so my take is that if you are prepared to do the same wuru wuru/mago mago in Nigeria, you could make it too. Mind you I said could, because you are obviously on a three year course, which you only just started, so you shouldn't be counting your chickens yet wink

Bottomline is that both Nigeria and Diaspora is good as long as you are not averse to bending the rules smiley

I take it you are here too, Anglia Ruskin university have regional colleges in cambridge, peterborough, chelmsford and london , I currently study Full-time BA(Hons)International Business Management which is round about £4000 in the london regional college, I can conviniently pay that after working full-time during the long breaks thank you. Unfortunately their are no wuru-wuru's involved which doesn't lead me to discuss the terms of my earnings, but as it works with every other sales/retention departments in every other company, you paid wages + commision which may even be sometimes alot more than your basic earnings with regards to level of effort, very well pay taxes but still convinient and able to meet all neccessary requirements. It doesn't matter how long you spend living here, what matters most is what you do with the little time, I know you might still be wondering how possible it is, but i didnt wake up one day knowing what to do, I had to do alota research.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 5:14pm On Jan 11, 2009
^^^Good on you, hope you understand I had no ill-intention towards you and realise I did not intend to call you out sha, wish you all the best, and more grease to your elbow, stay blessed and focused kiss

Anyone ever told you, your eyes are alluring and mesmerising cool
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by trustboy: 11:57pm On Jan 11, 2009
Jemilady, i do not really understand why your hubby would convert from highly skilled migrant visa status which is a path to settlement to student visa which is not. If he plans to get settlement under the 10year residence rule, i am afraid he is taking a gamble because this is a concession outside immigration rules and plans are underway to remove it.

f6, i think you are rather too optimistic with your projections and plans, in the current economic climate you cant be too hopeful of paying a fee of £12000 over a period of 3 years on a student visa. I am afraid your plans may backfire. What happens if you loose your job? I wish you all the best.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by ifele(m): 11:59pm On Jan 11, 2009
When we talk about " abroad" we mean western world white mans country. Yu see I am in Canada and they will allow some blacks to succeed while they are using them to make money. They will degrade some of us to cleaner and make us do shitty jobs so they can laugh at us. They refuse to give us good jobs even though we are capable. My class mate who went to university with me here in Toronto he is driving taxi now. I beleive black should seize any opportunity to take advantage of whites and get what they want and escape to their own country Africa the motherland. White people are dangerous,demonic and callous. They have humiliated black people now God has humiliated them. If yu are black and yu live in us,uk,canada, europe get their(whitey) money whether thru lottery or fraud and go back to Africa to develop yur countries.Thats the only way to solve our problems. Look at the Chinese there are thousands of them in Canadian, US, UK but they always go back home to develop their country. Thats why China is great. Thats why Korea is great.Thats why Japan is great. Blacky wake up.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nwaka77: 4:33am On Jan 12, 2009
ifele:

When we talk about " abroad" we mean western world white mans country. Yu see I am in Canada and they will allow some blacks to succeed while they are using them to make money. They will degrade some of us to cleaner and make us do shitty jobs so they can laugh at us. They refuse to give us good jobs even though we are capable. My class mate who went to university with me here in Toronto he is driving taxi now. I beleive black should seize any opportunity to take advantage of whites and get what they want and escape to their own country Africa the motherland. White people are dangerous,demonic and callous. They have humiliated black people now God has humiliated them. If yu are black and yu live in us,uk,canada, europe get their(whitey) money whether through lottery or fraud and go back to Africa to develop yur countries.Thats the only way to solve our problems. Look at the Chinese there are thousands of them in Canadian, US, UK but they always go back home to develop their country. Thats why China is great. Thats why Korea is great.Thats why Japan is great. Blacky wake up.

@ bolded, he he he grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by C2H5OH(f): 8:18am On Jan 12, 2009
I agree. Some of these jobs and pychecks aren't worth your dignity.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by fendx4: 9:06am On Jan 12, 2009
Busy_body:

The boy in question is not telling you the truth. The starting salary in KPMG, PWC and delloitte is about N150,000 per month. after working for 4 years even managers in these organisations earn like 700k per month.

Do you know how much it costs to buy land and build a house in Nigeria? Maybe the guy is doing some other things he is not telling you. I am not insinuating illegit. But he is not building the house on his salary.

Pally, I can tell you for free that he fella was not doing any mago mago thingy.

Again I read a post from someone that enquires should be made about the fellas driving new cars and building houses. Perharps he/she should take a vac and visit Nigeria for about 4 weeks. Fact remains that there is the re-emergence of the upward mobile middle class ok. And while a significant percentage of this strata are professionals in their fields, employers of labor have also recognised the fact that intelligent human resource is the best inventory that you could have now. In my field, Investment Banking, I have observed that there is a large number of young people that are doing fantastically well.

People times have changed, people are coming back home to reside and get excellent rewards for their cerebral giftings. Again this rewards are not just financial alone, there are other attachments that come along with it. All you need is to have something to offer from the grey matter.

As I stated previously, I had planned to relocate too. But considering it now, I think vacations can do. Moreso, peeps if you have money, you can import the Bahamas to a private beach in Lagos. Everything will be there, everything wink

My two cents (again)
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by felifeli: 10:15am On Jan 12, 2009
It is interesting to see that one word which keeps coming up in many of the posts is "f[b]ocus[/b]" . Apparently most Nigerians who had no focus at home and were drifting from one disappointment to another eventually escape abroad (wherever) and suddenly find[b] focus [/b] and things begin to be better for them. The reason is not difficult to see. the system abroad forces you to find focus. In fact if you don't get focus quickly YOU WILL PERISH.

The same Nigerians back at home require everything to be done for them by government - education, food , job, marriage, sex , etc;  and even if they get headache OBJ, Yaradua and all the politicians stealing all the money are to blame. My driver refuses to pay tax because "they will steal the money" , yet complains about the bad roads. In fact many "Christians" will joyfully pay their tithe but will not pay their tax. Go and pay your tax first or you are as much a  thief as the others , and then you can be justified and be able to complain that your tax has been stolen.

Interestingly we see that when Nigerians who have gone abroad to find focus  return home , their attitude to life and work is extremely different and they tend to see opportunities where others around them see failure . Sense has been knocked into them abroad and they have come to the realisation that life owes you NOTHING and whatever you will achieve it must be by having FOCUS. Now you can stop wondering why most progressive Nigerian companies prefer to employ  employees who trained abroad. it is not about the education, it is about the killer instinct [/b]that they have acquired through getting [b]FOCUS.

I recommend that government should compulsorily send every Nigerian abroad to find FOCUS , so that they can come back home and be useful to the country instead of complaining everyday about how the country is not as good as Yankee and Jand or even common Ghana mehn (emphasis not mine).

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by yewaman: 11:04am On Jan 12, 2009
the first question anybody relocating should ask himself/herself is what am I
going to fo abroad? If you going there to get an education fine, if you are serach
of better Job opportunties, the truth is that those jobs are diffcult to get.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by proudly9ja(m): 2:26pm On Jan 12, 2009
Nice thread, Nice posts.

I think in one way or another, you have all said it all. Il just like to add that:

First,Naija is my beloved land. I love her to bits and Im proud to be a Nigeria. However, some people have continuosly made sure that the land is not habitable for a lot of Naijas. I must say here that one thing I have found on this thread is the 'unfortunate' idea that succes is equal to having stupendous wealth. Thats is an idea we must perish from our thoughts for our Nation to move forward.

If you want to relocate abroad, I must tell you that its not as easy as people make it seem it is, however, it is easier to be comfortable here than back home. You can work (even the odd jobs that some people are quick to condemn) and feed yourself and your family. The thing back home is we want to work little and make great pay. Thats why we are never satisfied with our jobs. However, I must warn you to be cautious. Maybe what you should do is to, if youre married, go alone and see what lies ahead while your wife/husband remains in Naija. If you like what you see, then you can come back for them if not, stay back home.

The other thing is, make sure you are doing what makes you happy. I had 2 offers from a bank and a consulting firm back home but for me, my dream is in Engineering and providing solutions to Engineering problems. I could have stayed back and made the money, but where will the fulfillment be? This is my second year here now and Im already on my PhD. Im sponsored by the same government that a lot of people here have accused of being racist. Well thank God for my own case. But things are exactly the way you view them. I choose to be more positive in my thinking and it has helped. So be focused and understand what gives you joy and fulfilment. When you do that, please go anywhere to realise that dream, even if its Ghana!

On a final note, may I say that no matter where you find yourself, even if na Naija we dey, let us remember that Naija does not belong to a set of thieves and rogues, Naija belongs to us all. Once in a while, when you can, go back home and give a little bit of something. Free services in a hospital, digging a borehole in a village, etc. Little things like that which wont cost you more than 40/50 - 100 pounds will go a long way in saving lives. Im working on a project back home, if you are interested, pls PM me. Naija needs us now more than ever. We owe it to our children and children's children.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 3:04pm On Jan 12, 2009
trustboy:

. . . f6, i think you are rather too optimistic with your projections and plans, in the current economic climate you can't be too hopeful of paying a fee of £12000 over a period of 3 years on a student visa. I am afraid your plans may backfire. What happens if you loose your job? I wish you all the best.

You have hit the nail on the head and spoken the truth, but this shall not be F6's portion by the grace of God wink F6 say Amen cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by felifeli: 6:24pm On Jan 12, 2009
Busy_body:

You have hit the nail on the head and spoken the truth, but this shall not be F6's portion by the grace of God wink F6 say Amen cheesy

Somebody previously called me a pessimist in another thread , and all these reminds me  of the first business that I started when I was 25. The business plan was so well prepared, the cash flow projection so infallible; so I decided to do my uncle an accountant a favour by showing it to him. Your plan sucks, he told me; what if just two of your customers don't pay up on time  ? Your business will crash. So I stormed out of my stupid uncle's office muttering all sort of insults (old fool, never do well, stupid pessimist , Jurassic jerk etc etc) . Less than nine months later I was an ex-managing director  and without income.  cry cry
Which also reminds me of the next business I started at 28. Blah blah blah. Less than 2 years later I was again an ex-managing director and ex-fiance . undecided undecided  Projected incomes are quite funny things to depend on really . They follow Murphy's law : whatever can go wrong will usually go wrong at the worst possible time. . Take care dude.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by duduspace(m): 12:19am On Jan 13, 2009
It is good to love one's country and I dare to say that a lot of people who have relocated out in the present love their country but don't find the environment conducive at present.

It is also narrow minded to assume that the only reason why someone would relocate from his country to a foreign country must be economic. There was an interesting case of an American student couple fighting deportation from Ireland last year.

Having the experience of living outside your country only makes you better as a person helping you to understand the inherent complexities of various cultures and the challenges individuals will face in the future as globalization continues and various regional integrations take place.

It is a pity our economic situation in Nigeria makes it almost impossible for our youths to engage in GAP year related adventures like youths of other countries. Most of my Irish friends in their late 20s and early 30s have spent 1 or 2 years of their lives in one foreign country or another.

India also has a better economy and could be considered a more advanced country than Nigeria is but I am bold to say that there are more Indians in the diaspora than there are Nigerians (I can say this of Europe where I stay but anyone who stays in North America should feel free to correct me).

It is rather dumb to lump all those who have relocated outside the country together into a single group or to do the same to those who chose to stay behind.

Unlike felifeli pointed out, not all Nigerians who have travelled out of the country have found focus, some of their lives have become much worse while the reverse is the case for quite a sizable number of others.

The choice to relocate abroad should be left to the individual and what their goals are for the future, it is only unfortunate that not everyone is reasonable and rational in their analysis of issues and in making life determining decisions but at the end of the day, everyman will carry his/own cross.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by f6(m): 12:26am On Jan 13, 2009
Busy_body:

@busy_body, its a positive prayer, so i'll say Amen

Very well said, but everyone seems to be laying emphasis in relation to the source of income, I only cited that obviously to let people know that dreams are achieveable, , So it's not about the job or where income currently comes from, after all what do you do when you become jobless? Find another job! what i was trying to say was if you've got everything well planned out with a level of discpline in this country, there is a very high chance of getting there and i repeat myself 'high chance' of getting there,

So don't worry about me people, just leave it to me and Baba God. When he don did it, he don't stop,

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 12:32am On Jan 13, 2009
proudly9ja:

Nice thread, Nice posts.

I think in one way or another, you have all said it all. Il just like to add that:

First,Naija is my beloved land. I love her to bits and I'm proud to be a Nigeria. However, some people have continuosly made sure that the land is not habitable for a lot of Naijas. I must say here that one thing I have found on this thread is the 'unfortunate' idea that succes is equal to having stupendous wealth. Thats is an idea we must perish from our thoughts for our Nation to move forward.

If you want to relocate abroad, I must tell you that its not as easy as people make it seem it is, however, it is easier to be comfortable here than back home. You can work (even the odd jobs that some people are quick to condemn) and feed yourself and your family. The thing back home is we want to work little and make great pay. Thats why we are never satisfied with our jobs. However, I must warn you to be cautious. Maybe what you should do is to, if youre married, go alone and see what lies ahead while your wife/husband remains in Naija. If you like what you see, then you can come back for them if not, stay back home.

The other thing is, make sure you are doing what makes you happy. I had 2 offers from a bank and a consulting firm back home but for me, my dream is in Engineering and providing solutions to Engineering problems. I could have stayed back and made the money, but where will the fulfillment be? This is my second year here now and I'm already on my PhD. I'm sponsored by the same government that a lot of people here have accused of being racist. Well thank God for my own case. But things are exactly the way you view them. I choose to be more positive in my thinking and it has helped. So be focused and understand what gives you joy and fulfilment. When you do that, please go anywhere to realise that dream, even if its Ghana!

On a final note, may I say that no matter where you find yourself, even if na Naija we dey, let us remember that Naija does not belong to a set of thieves and rogues, Naija belongs to us all. Once in a while, when you can, go back home and give a little bit of something. Free services in a hospital, digging a borehole in a village, etc. Little things like that which wont cost you more than 40/50 - 100 pounds will go a long way in saving lives. I'm working on a project back home, if you are interested, please PM me. Naija needs us now more than ever. We owe it to our children and children's children.

Applause. Yours is one of the best threads on this forum. A helping hand is needed in the society. life is not all about me, me, me.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by f6(m): 12:35am On Jan 13, 2009
true

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Photos: 4 Nigerian Students Found Dead In An Apartment In Georgia / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled. / Beautiful Pictures Of Ikoyi, Lagos (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.