Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe (2132 Views)

Francis Arthur Nzeribe Is Worth £928,789,000 Million Pounds / 9ice Calls for Annulment of APC Rep Primaries In Ogbomosho North / June 12 Annulment Was Payment For Abiola’s Evil Deeds – Sen Owie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by MAYOWAAK: 10:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
How do you feel attaining and even surpassing the Biblical age of three scores and 10?

I feel 76, and you can see that yourself.

Looking back, is there anything that you would have done, especially at your younger age that you left undone?

There was nothing that I was supposed to do at any point in time that I didn’t do, and I have always justified my actions.

Does it mean that you don’t have any regrets for any of the actions you took in the past?

I don’t regret anything I have done because people in my position would think about things over and over again before doing them. And if there was anything that I thought about so well before doing it, I shouldn’t go about regretting it. I go along and suffer the consequences, if there is any negative one. That’s the way I see it.

What of your role as the leader of the defunct Association for a Better Nigeria (ABN), which many still blame for spearheading the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election won by late Chief MKO Abiola?

Those who are making reference to it are very wise men though they have forgotten that our actions were heavily supported across the country. At that time, I was deemed to be a vagabond. My colleagues and I were abused and insulted everywhere, but all of a sudden, going for election, it’s now a novelty. By the time I formed ABN, there was nothing at all of such nature; you go and burn tyres on the streets; you go and kill people and use their heads for juju, but we stood firm to say that we want this done. I believe that we got what we wanted. So, it is for you to assess our actions in your own way.

For us, I got what we wanted. We said cancel the election and eventually they cancelled the election. We said don’t count the votes, but they counted the votes. So, how do you measure success? In the middle of that, I have run elections, where I adopted five different political parties, and each time I go to any political party, we win. How do you define a good politician other than the man who contests an election and wins?

Are you saying that you are proud of the annulment even when some people believe that it stopped the process of handover of power from military to the democratic government? It also led to the consequent long stay by the military in power.

Yes, I do. I am proud that we cancelled the election. I wanted the election cancelled and it was cancelled.

If you have such an opportunity again, will you take a similar action?

Ten times over if the circumstances are the same.

You were in the Senate in the Second Republic as well as in the current dispensation between 1999 and 2007. How would rate the National Assembly then and now?

It would be unfair to start criticising my colleagues in the National Assembly. If I have anything to say about their performance, I will say it to them privately. If I have any reason to criticise them, I will go to them privately; I won’t go to the streets.

There is a general belief that Nigeria’s democracy is expensive compared to other advanced democracies across the world. There is also the belief that it is responsible for the high overhead cost which in turn leaves little or nothing for developmental projects. What do you make of this?

It depends on which aspect you are looking at. There is no way you can practise democracy anywhere in the world without spending money. Money is involved at all stages.

A lot of people had expected that you would be at the National Conference. What stopped you from being at the discourse to contribute in charting the course for a new Nigeria?

I have always been somebody who listens to the majority and plays according to the majority. As for the confab, I was not feeling too well when it was going on and I was abroad trying to get treatment. So, I cannot comment on anything that took place at the conference.

I don’t know whether you have read some of the recommendations of the confab, especially the approval for the creation of 18 new states. Do we really need more states?

Yes, we do. The South-East in particular needs an additional state so that we can be at par with other geo-political zones of the country.

But there is an argument that new states will place more financial burden on the nation.

I don’t think so. It is a national burden, and we should all share it equally. It is not good enough to say we should carry on with the current arrangement, while the injustice as a result of the imbalance in the state structure remains.

Do you see Ndigbo closing ranks on where the new state should be carved out from because there are several agitations at the moment, including that of Urashi State being championed by you?

A new state for the South-East should be the proposed Urashi State, which I am still championing.

Why do you think Urashi should be given preference ahead of others like Aba, Njaba, Adada and Etiti?

Can you skip this question, please? I am fighting for a new state and we have done the necessary presentations in Abuja. Should I sit down here and start criticising it?

Some political leaders in the North are of the view that the cry of marginalisation should not be the basis for an additional state for the South-East. Their argument is that the zone doesn’t deserve another state given its landmass and population. What is your take on that, and do you see a sixth state addressing the issue of marginalisation?

Yes, it will address the issue of marginalisation. Those who are saying that we don’t deserve an additional state are expressing their personal opinion, and I believe that they seized the opportunity of the confab to advance their argument. But go and read the confab report and see whether they are right or wrong. Somebody has to be right or wrong. I am right while they are wrong.

The 2015 elections are fast approaching. What are your thoughts on the elections?

I am afraid if we can get good democracy because too many people are being vicious. One has to be careful now that we are discussing it. So, let’s see how it goes.

Your party, the Peoples Democratic Party, has endorsed President Goodluck Jonathan for a second term. What do you make of that?

Like I said before, I am a party man; I am an establishment man. You will never see me fighting the authorities. I have learnt to either go under or above in politics; never go through the middle. At 76, I must be sensible how I play my politics. It is either I go under or above; never in the middle.

How do you see the All Progressives Congress and Gen. Muhammadu Buhari’s challenge to your party?

That’s their entitlement; they are playing democracy.

Are you not worried that the APC would be banking on Buhari’s popularity in the North and the support of the South-West to unseat the PDP in the forthcoming presidential election?

That is hypothetical. Let’s wait until the time comes.

A popular Islamic cleric, Sheik Abubakar Gumi, recently advised both President Jonathan and Gen. Buhari against contesting the election, saying violence will erupt whichever way the result goes. What is your take on that?

Is that what he really said?

The advice was contained in two separate open letters he sent to the President and Gen. Buhari.

No comment because I haven’t read it.

You recently endorsed the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, to govern Imo State come 2015. Do you still maintain that position and what informed it?

Yes I do, because he is the best out of those who have been presented at the moment. Unless something comes up, I am still where I am, and that is on the side of Emeka (Ihedioha).

Was your decision informed by the clamour for zoning by the people of Owerri zone, where Ihedioha hails from?

For me, Ihedioha is the best for now. Something may happen tomorrow. I may decide to run.

But the people of Okigwe zone are insisting that they should be allowed to complete their tenure which was cut short in 2011 by Governor Rochas Okorocha’s victory, before the governorship position goes to another zone.

I am not a believer in consensus. If you get 10 members of a consensus club, the definition of consensus will never be the same. So, where do you want to drive me into if you cannot agree among yourselves? Are we being democratic? The answer is no. If we want to be democratic, we should be ready to compete.

Don’t you see your support for Ihedioha pitching you against the people of your zone, who are insisting that the Imo governorship contest should be thrown open?

Those who are opposed to this should go to the polling booths to fight it. What do you want us to do? Is it not to make a choice, which we are making at the moment? If you don’t believe in what I am saying, then go and do your own. That is the simple thing to do.

Do you see Ihedioha upstaging the incumbent governor?

It is easy. If you do a proper assessment of the capabilities of those in the race and who have been winning elections in the past, you will know whether Mr. A or B is suitable to be the governor of Imo State come 2015. We will win again if that is what you are asking me. The PDP will win Imo State in 2015.

The Ohanaeze Ndigbo has tactically endorsed President Jonathan’s re-election bid. Where do you stand on this, as some dissenting voices are saying that it was done in a hurry?

You are singing my song for me. Aga akpaya akpa (it must be discussed). When the time comes, we will talk. Right now, I can’t see how we can be more Jonathan than Jonathan himself. Before yesterday, the man had not opened his mouth to say that he wants to be president.

It was only on Friday (two weeks ago) that he made it clear that he wants to run. All the statements he made in the past were playing what I call the Abacha (late Gen. Sani Abacha) game. He (Abacha) was very lucky, sitting down there and every group came to pledge their loyalty to him and offered their votes, and he said nothing.

He would just put on his sun glasses and shake his head; after that the people would go away. The five parties then all went to Abacha; where is democracy in that? And that’s what might happen to Jonathan, everybody is going there, pledging their votes; all groups and parties. We will wait and see.

What does the return of the Abacha kind of politics portend for Nigeria’s polity?

You said it is democracy, isn’t it? So, they are all playing it the way they understand. That was why I told you earlier that the first thing to do as a leader is to get the people whom you are promoting to define what they want.

How do you define consensus?

Agreement by the majority… Fine! And the only way to do it is to talk, isn’t it? So, we are talking.

What do you make of the security situation in the country, especially the Boko Haram insurgency, which is ravaging the North-East?

It is a child’s play if you compare what is happening in a country of over 150 million to what is going on in countries with less than 10 million population. So, don’t lose sleep over it; it is nothing.

Many Nigerians will not agree with you on this, given the level of destruction in the affected areas.

Then they should keep their disagreement. You people (media) blow this thing so much as if we are coming from the fire of hell. We are not. We are 150 million people. What do you expect; that some of us will fold our hands and go to bed? No! But I believe we will overcome it like any other country.

Are you not worried that the rising insecurity could lead to the realisation of the prediction by an American study group some years back that Nigeria will cease to exist by 2015?

Show me the report! Bring the report and we will discuss. Who has seen this report and where was it published? Nobody! Meanwhile, people address press conferences and make references to what they have not seen.

Finally, Senator Arthur Nzeribe is mostly described in the media as a maverick politician. How did that come to be?

(Laughs) No answer.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/arthur-nzeribe-if-given-another-chance-ill-ensure-june-12-annulment-again/

2 Likes

Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by 7lives: 11:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
Association for better nightmare, Arthur nothing do you, business noni.
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by pacesetter939: 11:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
Senator Francis Arthur Nzeribe, this man always has his ways with words.
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by hairyanus: 11:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
Is this guy still alive? These are the accient wizards of Nigeria that survives on the bloods of young virgins...and now they want to give me a 74 years old president. Rubbish, Gowon was how old when he ruled us. Buhari was how old when he truncated democracy and ruled us....i may sound hegemonic but I feel insulted to have youths campaigning for him. So, out of almost 200million people, we cant get a young breed to revolutionize Nigeria with radical development and fight corruption except Buhari. His supporters must be breathing from their a.nus....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by ziky2010(m): 11:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
This man is not alright.Someone won an election and you played a role in the cancellation and you are still happy.Evil man
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by NwaNimo1(m): 11:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
When was this interview? Has this man not been in a 'coma' for the last 7 years? When did he begin speaking again? And of all things 'Abiola'?

Arthur (If you don exit coma) - I miss your 'Ice Cream' - what happened to that biz?
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by shineeye: 11:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nzeribe guy man cheesy cheesy is it true that u were told to mind your business that he can fight abacha without igbos?

1 Like

Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by Abagworo(m): 11:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
NwaNimo1:
When was this interview? Has this man not been in a 'coma' for the last 7 years? When did he begin speaking again? And of all things 'Abiola'?

Arthur (If you don exit coma) - I miss your 'Ice Cream' - what happened to that biz?

Who told you he was on coma for 7years?
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by iamodenigbo1(m): 11:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
sarcasm
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 16, 2014
Arthur Nzeribe the controversial man.
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by pacesetter939: 12:06am On Nov 17, 2014
hairyanus:
Is this guy still alive? These are the accient wizards of Nigeria that survives on the bloods of young virgins...and now they want to give me a 74 years old president. Rubbish, Gowon was how old when he ruled us. Buhari was how old when he truncated democracy and ruled us....i may sound hegemonic but I feel insulted to have youths campaigning for him. So, out of almost 200million people, we cant get a young breed to revolutionize Nigeria with radical development and fight corruption except Buhari. His supporters must be breathing from their a.nus....

Supports Buhari.
A vote for General Buhari is a vote for the younger generations of Nigeria as the General is routing to displace the ruling party (that has mortgaged the future of Nigerian youths since 1999) and set the platform for the younger generations. This is why the General will only do a one term in office, enough for him to clean the rubbish that GEJ & his predicessor lumped us into.
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by hairyanus: 12:16am On Nov 17, 2014
pacesetter939:

Supports Buhari.
A vote for General Buhari is a vote for the younger generations of Nigeria as the General is routing to displace the ruling party (that has mortgaged the future of Nigerian youths since 1999) and set the platform for the younger generations. This is why the General will only do a one term in office, enough for him to clean the rubbish that GEJ & his predicessor lumped us into.

If i slap you now your brain will reset. Where did you sign one term agreement with Buhari....I am not one of those gullible Nigerians being decieved by the messianic mission of Buhari. The APC leaders planning to bring Buhari to power is corrupt. Tinubu and co. And you think he will be president and probe Atiku or Tinubu. Wake up and smell the capaccino. This is 2014 democracy not 1983 military rule. In democracy, you govern by negotiation and diplomacy. Not by barrel of the gun. Buhari is neither a diplomat nor a negotiator.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by donmalcolm21(m): 12:35am On Nov 17, 2014
T
Re: I Am Proud Of My Role In The Annulment Of June 12-Arthur Nzeribe by Sibabasibaba1: 5:57am On Nov 17, 2014
hairyanus:

If i slap you now your brain will reset. Where did you sign one term agreement with Buhari....I am not one of those gullible Nigerians being decieved by the messianic mission of Buhari. The APC leaders planning to bring Buhari to power is corrupt. Tinubu and co. And you think he will be president and probe Atiku or Tinubu. Wake up and smell the capaccino. This is 2014 democracy not 1983 military rule. In democracy, you govern by negotiation and diplomacy. Not by barrel of the gun. Buhari is neither a diplomat nor a negotiator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It boggles the mind why young people think that a man who truncated Nigeria's progress will solve Nigeria's problem. A man who as a young man of 43 could not see the importance of a metro will not see that at 73. So, my problem with that criminal despot is not his age per se. But just to paraphrase Bill Clinton's view of Bob Dole, my problem with him is the age of his ideas.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oil Price Recovers - Jumps From $59 To $63 / General Elections Sensitization Workshop On Non-violence. Live On Nta /ait. / Senator. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa (pdp) Wins The Gubernatorial Election In Delta State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.