Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? (4989 Views)

Is Dangote Really The Richest Nigerian??? / What Makes Nigeria The Giant Of Africa / Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by slimnike(m): 2:43am On Aug 08, 2006
Hello Guys,This issue as been a problem for Me and My Friends,But I Like to share with You Guys;Nigeria is always claiming to be the 'Big Brother of Africa'And I do not Know the aspect or area She claim to be This 'Big'. Now, lets look at South Africa,They have all the better companies,like the one causing problem in Nigeria now,DSTV.Even Our own NTA do take clips from there to show Us some news.No South African will leave His Country and say He/She is coming to Nigeria to stay,I have not seen any.But Nigerians are running to South Africa every now and then.Back to the entertaining aspect of it,when it comes to entertainment They give Us more than We can get here in Nigeria,English premiership,CAF Champions league,UEFA champions league,Even Nigerian premier league and Nigerian movies and good documentaries We can think of and other beautiful programs.They also give Us political news from other African Countries.When NTA will show one They will keep mensioning it as if They are the first to do so.Politically,South Africa do give help to other African countries in need,[I stand to be corrected] .For me there is nothing Nigeria as done that South Africa as not done[Even better].So I leave it for You Guys to tell Me,Who is Really the Giant Of Africa?
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Hotstepper(f): 4:20am On Aug 08, 2006
This Giant of Africa notion gat diff. areas associated with it, maybe cuz Nigeria gat more population dan all these countries etcccccccccc, i go come back in more detail, ThatSA gives Nigeria sum programs doesn't mean anything and hmmmmm dat u haven't seen any SA perosnally doesn't mean they ain't running to Nigeria,
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by slimnike(m): 4:37am On Aug 08, 2006
Do You Know that there are some documentries SABC will show concerning Nigeria NTA will not even get the clip to show You.?Look if not for Mnet Most Nigerians will be illetrates.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Hotstepper(f): 5:07am On Aug 08, 2006
itz a pty that all these stations if I did call them dat like Mnet, I don't have any idea what they are or do
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by alheri(f): 9:53am On Aug 08, 2006
My Dear slimnike, you misunderstand the GIANT OF AFRICA. That term is expressed in terms of potential. And Nigeria has the most potential Africa! You better in recognise. SA is more advanced infastructurally, I agree completely but at whose expence? Where is the average South African of African origin in SA today? Still doing menial jobs and living in the not so trendy part of SA, right?

I guess you don't know the meaning of illitrate(spell check pls). What do you mean most Nigerains will be illiterate if not for Mnet? YOU are beginning to sound illiterate, Haha, I wont even dignify that your statement. I want you to tell me now, in all those African countries going through one war, civil unrest or the other, which country has has SA sent aid or personnel support (military or orthewise) to? What help has SA given to its brother and sisters in other African countries, I would really like to know.

Nigeria is not as advanced as SA when it comes to telecommunication, yes. But that is because of our military past. And everyone knows the military was never concerned about giving the populace the right info. And that is what is been corrected now by this sanction on DSTV. SA has always been like the devil, who has no free gifts, they always take back much more for everything they give to you and thats a fact! Its no news that Multichoice staff in Nigeria are been payed far less than thier SA counterparts. Is it because they're doing less? Of cos not! Its because as usual, SA is very opputunistic in its approach,always trying to suck out the life in its habitat.That is why NBC is trying to nip and I feel its a good step towards giving other local Nigerian companies the opputunity.

DSTV or not, Nigerians were watching the premiership before DSTV. Have you ever heard of ABG communications?
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Nutter(m): 1:53pm On Aug 08, 2006
@Slimnike,

In direct answer to your question, the giant of Africa is indeed, South Africa. We all know that even though we may not all be prepared to accept it.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by needeeg(m): 2:23pm On Aug 08, 2006
cool!!
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by omonozozo(m): 2:53pm On Aug 08, 2006
South Africa do give help to other African countries in need,[I stand to be corrected] .For me there is nothing Nigeria as done that South Africa as not done[Even better].So I leave it for You Guys to tell Me,Who is Really the Giant Of Africa?

If only you know the prize Nigeria paid that lead to the fall of Apartheid you will not have asked that question.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Chxta(m): 3:00pm On Aug 08, 2006
In terms of potential? I'd say Nigeria if it is human resources. If we are talking other resources, undoubtably Congo Kinshasa
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by omonozozo(m): 3:08pm On Aug 08, 2006
Can you list Congos resources and I will list Nigerian one.

By the way South Africa is a giant economically, bigger than Nigeria and Egypt put together.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by buchio7(m): 3:12pm On Aug 08, 2006
I believe d "GIANT OF AFRICA" is as a result of our huge population(largest black nation in d world),our relief/political efforts in the past within africa(e.g.south africa,liberia e.t.c).

The gains South africa is enjoying now is as a result of the apertheid domination in d past,d average black south african is still feeling disillusioned/oppressed/deprived e.t.c

The fact dat south africa has dstv doesnt mean we are illiterate by d way, so u want to tell me u would not have been educated if nt for dstv?
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by New(m): 5:10pm On Aug 08, 2006
omonozozo:

Can you list Congos resources and I will list Nigerian one.

Nigeria - natural gas, petroleum, tin, iron ore, coal, limestone, niobium, lead, zinc, arable land

Congo DR - cobalt, copper, niobium, tantalum, petroleum, industrial and gem diamonds, gold, silver, zinc, manganese, tin, uranium, coal, hydropower, timber.

If it wasn't for Mobutu and internal strife who knows what Congo DR might have been.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by omonozozo(m): 5:26pm On Aug 08, 2006
Nigeria - natural gas, petroleum, tin, iron ore, coal, limestone, niobium, lead, zinc, arable land

Congo DR - cobalt, copper, niobium, tantalum, petroleum, industrial and gem diamonds, gold, silver, zinc, manganese, tin, uranium, coal, hydropower, timber.

If it wasn't for Mobutu and internal strife who knows what Congo DR might have been.

Have you heard of the gold belt that has just been discovered in Nigeria which rivals that of Ghana, or bitumen, of which Nigeria has one of  the highest deposits in the world?
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by otokx(m): 7:50pm On Aug 08, 2006
If you say we are the giant of africa in terms of our potentials; maybe. In terms of the now, we are no where near anywhere.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by stanech: 8:19pm On Aug 08, 2006
Let us not deceive our selves the ''giant of Africa'' is just like wht I will call ''big name wey dey kill small dog'' I believe they gave us the name just to make us believe or think we are the best country in Africa. But my brothers and sisters we are not.

Hotstepper:

This Giant of Africa notion gat diff. areas associated with it, maybe because Nigeria gat more population dan all these countries etcccccccccc, i go come back in more detail, ThatSA gives Nigeria sum programs doesn't mean anything and hmmmmm that u haven't seen any SA perosnally doesn't mean they ain't running to Nigeria,

Fine, nigeria is the most populated black nation what has that got to do with being a giant when more than half of the people are hungry

In anyway all the best things in Africa came from south Africa. U need to watch documentaries on suncity southafrica they are not different from the once showed on other parts of the world.

This is the same name given to NTA Nigeria but they can not even make a good transmision of a football match going on in National stadium Abuja.

Are we talking of communication MTN a company that originated from South Africa is to be the official sponsor of the 2010 world cup I think we need to learn from them.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Nutter(m): 2:05am On Aug 09, 2006
otokx:

If you say we are the giant of africa in terms of our potentials; maybe. In terms of the now, we are no where near anywhere.

stanech:

Fine, nigeria is the most populated black nation what has that got to do with being a giant when more than half of the people are hungry

Thank you, voices of truth. I cannot disagree with you less!
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by safariking(m): 2:34am On Aug 09, 2006
Nigeria used to be the Giant of Africa. Right now, there is no Giant in the whole of Africa. South Africa as we know it today has a lot to offer because it was less than 2 decades ago that the colonialist officially left. However let the truth be told the colonialist still control 95% of South Africa's economy and wealth. Until an African country is thriving well and is handled by Africans themselves, i am not yet impressed. When South African is truly independent, it will be the Giant of Africa.

Notwithstanding S Africa's great strides, no African nation compares to Nigeria in terms of human resources. No african nation compares to Nigeria in terms of natural resources. Yet nigeria is still the most corrupt nation in the world with over 60% unemployment still suffering in the midst of plentiful black gold - Certainly the poorest oil producing nation in terms of GDP of its resident citizens. Nigeria is more of a dissappointment than anything else if you will ask me. There is helplessness in face of all Nigerian citizens who are not born into an elite family. If you don't agree with this fact, you must be from a middle class or rich family, go find out from the millions of common men in street who have no clue of were to get food let alone dream of watching TV.

Despite close to half a century of independence Nigerians havent learned to co-exist with one another, neither have they learnt to improve the living standards of their brethren. It is this self centeredness that have made our leaders ineffective. And more importantly it is the complacency of the followers that have let the leaders/dictators go scott-free, with no checks and balances, as they expoit our fertile land to barreness.

Over four decades of coexstence but Nigerians still have inter-tribal and inter-religious conflicts, sometimes fighting over the most trivial things. No Giant can stand for long, when it's members are not united. That's why the Giant of the 60's is 60 years behind most the developed world - just a baby with poor judgement in the eyes of the developed. Until there is a change of heart by ALL Nigerians to live up to the ethics and social responsibilities of a decent society, Nigeria will continue claiming the vain title of 'Giant', with mightly little to show for it.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by New(m): 10:01am On Aug 09, 2006
safariking,

excellent
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Hotstepper(f): 3:17pm On Aug 09, 2006
@safariking, well said and written
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by otokx(m): 10:29pm On Aug 09, 2006
South Africa
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by olalekanhs(m): 6:10am On Aug 10, 2006
Nigerians don't give ur food to the dogs- take ur place in africa
who saved liberia from civil war? Nigeria spent over 12 billion dollars on the liberian war and provided humanitarian effort for all war torn africna country
we feel the burden of the peace keeping effort when the siolder bring HIV/AIDS back to nigeria from sieria lone.Unlike american who only intervain in foriegn policy for oil nigeria foriengn policy of purely humanitarian and charity.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Jesimiel(m): 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2006
alheri, I almost totally agree with you, but would like to defer on the area of telecommunications, whether you like it or not, Nigeria is indeed the giant of Africa even in telecommunications.
Our problem is simply our greed with money, may telecoms services are never deploy because they do not produce immediate returns on investment, wherein such services would have seen being deployed in places like SA by Nigerian engineers, because that sector like many other sector there is fully controlled by the government unlike what you have here. So because you use some telecommunication services in SA or other places in Africa and such does not exist here does not mean "we" don know about it or we can not deploy it if we want to, it is just a Nigerian thing(our character) to first see money at the base of a pool before taking a dive, wink
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by slimnike(m): 4:17pm On Sep 05, 2006
Can somebody please answer this questions,
1,Is CNN not the first station that carried the news about the death of the First Lady Of Nigeria?
2,Most of the important news You get today did you get them from the NTA.?
please answer.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by Sijien(m): 8:54am On Sep 08, 2006
correct olalekan we dont know how 2 identify our interests
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by slimnike(m): 3:50pm On Sep 08, 2006
olalekanhs:

Nigerians don't give your food to the dogs- take your place in africa
who saved liberia from civil war? Nigeria spent over 12 billion dollars on the liberian war and provided humanitarian effort for all war torn africna country
we feel the burden of the peace keeping effort when the siolder bring HIV/AIDS back to nigeria from sieria lone.Unlike american who only intervain in foriegn policy for oil nigeria foriengn policy of purely humanitarian and charity.
And how much did the Nigerian Government spend on You? How have they spent on the Nigeria Police,that they can not even fight crime anymore in stead they join in commiting the crime.Look Ola what the Nigerian Government are doing is just to tell the outside World that they are good,but here in Nigeria they are not doing anything to help the suffering masses.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by candylips(m): 4:09pm On Sep 08, 2006
more like the trigger point of africa
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by ishmael(m): 8:10pm On Sep 08, 2006
Yeso, Nigeria is the giant of Africa. Have you guys forgotten that giant is a physical thing?? If so nigeria is the giant of africa. NONSENSE!!! Who dash monkey banana?? No body should compare nigeria with south africa,; you may try doing that in 40 years time but not now. Its just like comparing nigeria with UK or Canada. Giant of africa na him hungry wan kill people finish. See the ratings of public utilities for so-called giant of africa:

NEPA (PHCN) - fail
NITEL/Mtel - very poor
WATER CORPORATION- bad
REFINERIES- problem
NTA/FRCN- outdated/stale news and programs
EDUCATION- low
ROADS- bad
INFLATION- Excellent
CORRUPTION- Excellent

Tell me how naija wan take be giant of africa for God's sake??
GIANT of africa ko, GOLIATH of africa ni. I beg make we hear word jare.
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by nilla(f): 8:58pm On Sep 08, 2006
lol

@ topic

Nigeria is giant of africa just by population. But we do have potential, if corruption would step aside so that people that are serious can do something.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by candylips(m): 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2006
we have been having potential since 1960 and if care is not taken we will continue to have potential until the country dismantle into pieces
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by nilla(f): 9:04pm On Sep 08, 2006
i no fit laugh grin grin grin
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by nilla(f): 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2006
candylips, well said. still laughing

so what can we as nairalanders do to help develop our potential
Re: Who Is Really The Giant Of Africa? by gidig(m): 9:41pm On Sep 08, 2006
Let me tell you the way this will go eventually.We will not all agree because we are all different.I believe that Nigeria is the Giant of Africa and a great country that will get better because within me, that is the way I see Nigeria and that is the way I see myself/

So many other people will not believe that bacause the things that makes for greatness for them are no necessarily within them but outside.

LIfe necer gives you waht you deserve but what you demand!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Oil Producing States In Nigeria And NDDC Facts You Must Know / Photos Of A Short Nigerian Man Marrying A Pretty Lady In Imo State Go Viral / Governor Ugwuanyi Wins Leadership Governor Of The Year 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.