Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,122 members, 7,828,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG (1282 Views)

Jonathan Spent N825bn On Travel Allowances, Stationery, Others In 3 Years – FG / 55 Persons Stole N1.34tr In Eight Years – FG / We’ll Start Road Construction, Maintenance After Rains – Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 2:46am On Nov 18, 2014
Nigeria will become a net exporter of rice in the next three years, the Federal Government has said.

According to the government, over N256bn has been invested in the product in the past three years.

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, said this in Abuja on Monday during the second Nigeria Rice Investment Forum organised by the Business Group of the New Partnership for African Development.

He said part of the aims of the rice transformation agenda of the Federal Government which started in 2011 was to make Nigeria self-sufficient in rice production as well as export of the commodity.

Adesina said, “Nigeria must become a net exporter of food like Thailand and India. With the rice transformation agenda of Mr. President, a lot has been invested in the crop to ensure that we become self sufficient in the production of rice. I have no doubt that in the next three to four years, Nigeria will start exporting rice like Thailand and India.”

The minister explained that 24 states across the federation were already growing rice during the dry season while the 36 states were producing the crop in the wet season.

He said seven million metric tonnes of rice paddy had been added to Nigeria’s production, adding that the country was 80 per cent self-sufficient in the production of paddy rice.

Paddy is the form of rice harvested from the farm before it is milled and made ready for consumption.

Adesina said the Federal Government was currently focusing on rice milling to ensure that the quantity of paddy rice produced in Nigeria was milled.

The minister said it was very important for Nigeria to close its milling gap, stressing that the country would have to build over 18 integrated rice mills to achieve this.

On the essence of the forum, the Special Adviser to the President on NEPAD, Mrs. Fidelia Njeze, said it was to provide an opportunity to review the successes achieved and the challenges faced in actualising self-sufficiency in rice production in Nigeria and West Africa.

She said, “As major stakeholders in the rice investment programme, this is an opportunity to address what needs to be done towards breaking the barriers of large scale production of rice in Nigeria.

“In this regard, issues such as setting up of mechanised rice mills, enhancement of production capabilities of small holder farmers, availability of improved seedlings, enhancing yield per hectare and building resilience against climate change must be addressed.”

Meanwhile, following the steady rise in rice production in the country, stakeholders in the NEPAD Business Group says they will explore more opportunities in the industry.

According to a statement by the Administrative Manager, NEPAD Business Group, Mr. Dosunmu Oluwole, several opportunities exist for investors in the three components of rice industry, which he gives as production, processing and marketing to create wealth.

He said the development would form the basis for the discourse at the second edition of the Nigeria Rice Investment Forum holding in Abuja between November 17 and 18.

“The outcome of the first forum has been part of the ongoing success and transformation in the sector. The 2nd Nigeria Rice Investment Forum therefore intends to focus on practical steps to transform rice industry in Nigeria and West Africa for self-sufficiency, sustainability and exportation.

“The forum will bring together relevant stakeholders, development partners and relevant government agencies and departments to achieve the objectives of creating opportunities that will lead to setting up of rice production and processing projects in Nigeria and West Africa,” the statement added.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/well-start-exporting-rice-in-three-years-fg/

2 Likes

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by seanet02: 2:58am On Nov 18, 2014
I just dey laugh.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by tunwumi: 3:27am On Nov 18, 2014
Let set up a committee that will make it possible.

This government like building castle in the air. Even their hardened supporter know is a tough job to defend or market this government.

This is the weakest government Nigeria ever have. Even Cameron can invade Nigeria and win.

But how do we find ourselves in this situation? The answer is sentiment.

Vote wisely and correct this error.

5 Likes

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by engrfcuksmtin(m): 5:34am On Nov 18, 2014
You people said more than that in 2011.............
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by Matttthew(m): 5:59am On Nov 18, 2014
Amen!!!
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by Nobody: 6:03am On Nov 18, 2014
Meanwhile some Nigerians don't have rice nor money to buy it..., funny campaign
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by omenka(m): 6:03am On Nov 18, 2014
Still waiting for the day this government will surprise me by saying something positive and begin with "we HAVE".

Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by pappy2000: 6:06am On Nov 18, 2014
tunwumi:

This government like building castle in the air. Even their hardened supporter know is a tough job to defend or market this government.

This is the weakest government Nigeria ever have. Even Cameron can invade Nigeria and win.

Very na committee for Nigeria. To me whenever I hear the world committee I believe that is the end of the story.
I believe that is good needs we don't really have a choice because oil prices are falling
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by Amanwulu1(m): 6:18am On Nov 18, 2014
Yk
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by macpetrus(m): 6:21am On Nov 18, 2014
Welcome development......

In other News Goodluck is Doing It.... grin
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by donmalcolm21(m): 7:44am On Nov 18, 2014
This is a real breath of fresh air.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 8:52am On Nov 18, 2014
omenka:
Still waiting for the day this government will surprise me by saying something positive and begin with "we HAVE".

Rubbish.
One thing you must know is that, no matter how you hide the truth, it must latter show itself. The agricultural transformation of this government is second to none. No wonder, Aswanni brothers, Nigeria's number one rice importers, and DANGOTE has keyed into the system by acquiring land for rice production.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 9:01am On Nov 18, 2014
seanet02:
I just dey laugh.
Why won't you laugh, when you now have more than enough to eat.

THANKS TO GEJ.

3 Likes

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 9:07am On Nov 18, 2014
tunwumi:

Senseless post.

3 Likes

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 9:13am On Nov 18, 2014
donmalcolm21:
This is a real breath of fresh air.
God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 18, 2014
This is the 100th time I am hearing this....

NEXT!!
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 9:40am On Nov 18, 2014
berem:

NEXT!!
I sense disappointment in your eyes.

Ndo.
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by nigerianvenom(m): 9:43am On Nov 18, 2014
seanet02:
I just dey laugh.

Dont stop laughing until ur nieces and nephew starts questioning u about ur insanity status

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by chaloner(m): 9:56am On Nov 18, 2014
berem:

NEXT!!
I dnt knw y u like sayin nonsense y na , taught u re married , u neva reason like a mother or who wan to b one SMH for u
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by Olaolufred(m): 10:36am On Nov 18, 2014
WHY IS IT THAT POLITHIEFCIAN WILL ALWAYS NOT POINT US TO WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, BUT WHAT IS STILL A MIRAGE.

I WAS GLAD IN 2011, WHEN I WAS TOLD THAT THE COMING FRESH AIR WILL MAKE MY POWER SUPPLY STABLE BEFORE THE END OF 4 YEARS.
4 YEARS ALMOST GONE, NEVER USED THE "STABLE" OVERNIGHT. WOKE UP THIS MORNING NOT SO REFRESHED.

MAY BE THE STABLE PROMISED IS THE 6-8 HOURS A DAY OR?

PROMISES THAT WAS NEVER KEPT. POWER STABILITY WAS PROMISED TO BE STABLE IN 2001. 14 YEARS AFTER, PDP IS STILL DECIEVING NIGERIANS WHO ARE CONFIRMED FOOLS THAT PDP CALLED THEM.
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by ayo84(m): 11:35am On Nov 18, 2014
i hope it is not their gmo or hybrid rice ... a lot of countties are banning gmo foods .. they are not safe and healthy ..
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
nigerianvenom:

Dont stop laughing until ur nieces and nephew starts questioning u about ur insanity status
Nigerianvenom, why are you causing those people sleeplessness?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by nigerianvenom(m): 5:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
Nigerianvenom, why are you causing those people sleeplessness?

My bro,those guys dont deserve to sleep.remember wetin deh happen to pikin weh no deh let im mama sleep grin

1 Like

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by ichidodo: 6:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
Agriculture our life-line....
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by hazyfm: 6:46pm On Nov 18, 2014
berem:

NEXT!!

THEY KEEP PROMISING LONGTERM GOALS TO DECEIVE US

IT'S TIME FOR SHORT TERM GOALS
LET'S KNOW WHAT U CAN DO FROM NOW TILL APRIL 2015
NIGERIANS ARE NOW WISER
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by hazyfm: 6:48pm On Nov 18, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
Nigeria will become a net exporter of rice in the next three years, the Federal Government has said.

According to the government, over N256bn has been invested in the product in the past three years.

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, said this in Abuja on Monday during the second Nigeria Rice Investment Forum organised by the Business Group of the New Partnership for African Development.

He said part of the aims of the rice transformation agenda of the Federal Government which started in 2011 was to make Nigeria self-sufficient in rice production as well as export of the commodity.

Adesina said, “Nigeria must become a net exporter of food like Thailand and India. With the rice transformation agenda of Mr. President, a lot has been invested in the crop to ensure that we become self sufficient in the production of rice. I have no doubt that in the next three to four years, Nigeria will start exporting rice like Thailand and India.”

The minister explained that 24 states across the federation were already growing rice during the dry season while the 36 states were producing the crop in the wet season.

He said seven million metric tonnes of rice paddy had been added to Nigeria’s production, adding that the country was 80 per cent self-sufficient in the production of paddy rice.

Paddy is the form of rice harvested from the farm before it is milled and made ready for consumption.

Adesina said the Federal Government was currently focusing on rice milling to ensure that the quantity of paddy rice produced in Nigeria was milled.

The minister said it was very important for Nigeria to close its milling gap, stressing that the country would have to build over 18 integrated rice mills to achieve this.

On the essence of the forum, the Special Adviser to the President on NEPAD, Mrs. Fidelia Njeze, said it was to provide an opportunity to review the successes achieved and the challenges faced in actualising self-sufficiency in rice production in Nigeria and West Africa.

She said, “As major stakeholders in the rice investment programme, this is an opportunity to address what needs to be done towards breaking the barriers of large scale production of rice in Nigeria.

“In this regard, issues such as setting up of mechanised rice mills, enhancement of production capabilities of small holder farmers, availability of improved seedlings, enhancing yield per hectare and building resilience against climate change must be addressed.”

Meanwhile, following the steady rise in rice production in the country, stakeholders in the NEPAD Business Group says they will explore more opportunities in the industry.

According to a statement by the Administrative Manager, NEPAD Business Group, Mr. Dosunmu Oluwole, several opportunities exist for investors in the three components of rice industry, which he gives as production, processing and marketing to create wealth.

He said the development would form the basis for the discourse at the second edition of the Nigeria Rice Investment Forum holding in Abuja between November 17 and 18.

“The outcome of the first forum has been part of the ongoing success and transformation in the sector. The 2nd Nigeria Rice Investment Forum therefore intends to focus on practical steps to transform rice industry in Nigeria and West Africa for self-sufficiency, sustainability and exportation.

“The forum will bring together relevant stakeholders, development partners and relevant government agencies and departments to achieve the objectives of creating opportunities that will lead to setting up of rice production and processing projects in Nigeria and West Africa,” the statement added.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/well-start-exporting-rice-in-three-years-fg/

E BE LIKE SAY NA YOU WAN DEY EXPORT THE RICE

[size=28pt]NO BE ONLY RICE, WE WILL SOON START EXPORTING COOKED BEANS & DODO BY 2040[/size]

Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by mrvitalis(m): 7:24pm On Nov 18, 2014
ok ...i remember ...
...10MW by December . 2011....its a deal not a promise
....600 buses ....only 110 was released
...east/west road will be ready by 2012
....common bro we no fool at all
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by tomakint: 7:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
This is the type of cheering news I love to read! I can't remember the last time we exported grains to the outside world on commercial basis.....God bless ths Jonathan's administration.
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by PhockPhockMan: 7:48pm On Nov 18, 2014
tomakint:
This is the type of cheering news I love to read! I can't remember the last time we exported grains to the outside world on commercial basis.....God bless ths Jonathan's administration.
My joy knows no bounds. I wish Nigeria has been developing at this pace since independence.
Re: We’ll Start Exporting Rice In Three Years – FG by ayukdaboss(m): 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
My joy knows no bounds. I wish Nigeria has been [s]developing at this pace since independence. [/s]
You guys aren't being fair to this country.

(1) (Reply)

Youth United! We Must Come Together And Let Our Voices Be Heard / Sanusi Lamido's response to Sir Olaniwun Ajayi's book titled "Nigeria ,Africa's / Buhari's Daughter Zahra Buhari Tweets A Bombshell On Twitter After A Come Back.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.