Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,467 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink (913 Views)

What Do U Tink Is D Best Invention Or Discovery? / Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* / What Do You Tink Of Tenik? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink by ilotriouzAY(m): 4:56pm On Nov 19, 2014
I saw dis review while surfing on d internet nd I tink its very apt...what's ur say??

Baddo is unrepentant in his love for the streets, cash, and loose women.
(Reedwan )
Album- Street OT
Artist- Olamide
Guest Appearances - Lil Kesh, Viktoh, Pasuma, Don Jazzy, Chinko
Ekun, Reminisce, B. Banks, Chuka, Pepenazi, Phyno.
Producers- Pheelz, B. Banks, Young John.
Record Label- YBNL (2014)
Duration- 1 Hour, 19 minutes.
"Olamide Is Still Hustling Even With The Crown On His Head"
On his fourth go round,Olamidedespite all his royal robes, and kingly accomplishments, is still a hustler and industry rebel. He makes no apologies about this.
There is no evolution for Baddo. He is still the hungry kid on the streets of Bariga. He hasn't morphed into a superior royal lord musing on the facts of life. The same things still piss him off, phony people, hardcore rappers who hate him, and show promoters who don't have his money, a point he made on the motivating 'Prayer For Client'.
He is hungry, and nothing in the world will stop him from getting what he wants. What does this restless rapper who has released four albums in four years want? Money, that's all.
He has formulated his own way of raking in all that cash- by serving the streets with his 'goon rap' while creating cross over highlife songs that appeal to his larger fan base. There are no 'Island' singles or 'packaging' joints here. He unapologetically raps about his love for whores, for example the lewd, and raunchy 'Falila Ketan'.
On this album Olamide wants you to know that he is not your average rapper, as he mentions that he wants to be mentioned with the greats in his machine gun flow on 'Zero Joy'. The YBNL boss stumps in with 'Oga Nla' featuringPasumaandLil' Kesh. On the album opener he recollects his state of mind when he entered the game "I came into the game with the mindset of omo baba olowo/I was freaking broke but I knew wo le dami duro."
Olamide knows the world is a cold place, and in order for you to succeed you have to be a beast. The turning point in his life came in 1999. Over a mid-tempo highlife set up he recalls how his father was shot by armed robbers in '1999'. It was at this point that Olamide made the decision that it was time for him to be a man, and take control of his life. "Na then I realize it's time to organize myself" he sings.
The rapper in an attempt to get a grip on life tried his hands Internet fraud. On '100 To Million' he reveals he was once a Yahoo boy but had no luck as he talks about his grind coming up. It's a stirring song with a scene stealing chorus fromViktoh.
Olamide has risen to the top of the music scene in four years, with some alluding that his wealth is from the occult. He denies this on a couple of tracks including 'Blood Money' by citing2PhatandID Cabasaas the people who gave him the opportunity to blow, and his fans for making him successful.
Yoruba rap's king and under lordReminiscecome together on 'Hustle, Loyal and Respect'. On the "Ibile United" track, Olamide hails the new Yoruba rappers in the game, and mentions how people want him and Reminisce to beef because its Hip Hop. The song features a choir like sound, a favourite sound template of Olamide on this album.
Baddo creates ample space for his YBNL goons on his fourth album.Chinko Ekunand Lil' Kesh go HAM on 'Bang'. The two young guns slaughter the song with pure inspiration aided by the hunger to prove themselves. Chinko Ekun flows stupid on the song that he uses Chinese sounds to rhyme. "Pekele pekele/Rihanna we gele/Beyonce je gbese/ e ma wo erekere" spits King Kesh as he calls himself on the track.
The drawback on Olamide's album comes when he tries to score a mainstream hit by singing. It works on some tracks such as 'MVP', but fails on 'Ya Wa', 'Batifeori' and 'Skelemba' featuringDon Jazzy. The collaboration with Don Baba J is incoherent and scattered. Olamide's miscalculation does not deter the album's hard hitting stance.
The production on the album is straight up forward. The rap tracks are made up of 'Trap' beats, while the crossover joints are temporarily Highlife. Olamide has never favoured the multi-layered, complex and moody instrumentals propounded by Drake and used by M.I on his recent album. Olamide prefers one-dimensional beats that allow him express his train of thought smoothly. The album however does throw up one curve ball production wise. Alaaru is a rock song where he brings out his hustler state of mind. Wanting to be likeDangote, Tinubu and Fasholahe spits "mo fe ra bugatti/hustle mi o ni margin."
At 22 tracks long,Street OTis raw, hard hitting, and unapologetic, made from the sweat of a nonconformist. On the album cover Olamide's face is seen in the skies, but his hands are no doubt on the streets of Bariga. This rapper more than lives the street, he is the street that never sleeps.
Rating- 4 out of 5.
Re: My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink by baski92(m): 5:21pm On Nov 19, 2014
Nice one.... U try
Re: My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink by kestolove95(m): 5:40pm On Nov 19, 2014
dix is d best albrm release in 2014..thank u baddoo
Re: My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink by ilotriouzAY(m): 5:54pm On Nov 19, 2014
baski92:
Nice one.... U try

Nt my write up bt it describe wat I av in mind
Re: My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink by holatin(m): 6:06pm On Nov 19, 2014
?@?
Re: My Review Of Olamide's Street OT Album---wat Do U Tink by baski92(m): 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2014
I thought as much... I even wanted to ask you were u paste the page from

(1) (Reply)

14 Signs To Know That You Are M.A.D / Graphic Photos: Early Morning Accident Kills Many In Ketu / 10 YEARS OF NAIRALAND: Your Goodwill Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.