Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,083 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? (993 Views)

Sex Before Or After Marriage Which One Is Better / Arrange Marriage Vs Love Marriage : Which One Do You Prefer? / Love ; Inter-religious Marriage, Love Or Religion, Which One Do You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by ChildofChukwu(m): 1:41am On Nov 21, 2014
Most couples I've met either had more than one form of wedding or all three mentioned above. Considering the high cost of planning and executing a marriage ceremony these days angry (especially in the eastern part of Nigeria cheesy), I don't see the need for multiple weddings all in the name of "fulfilling all righteousness".

As Africans, I believe our most recognized form of wedding is the traditional, so why do most nigerian couples have a need for all three (or at least two) forms of wedding? Are we being copy cats by "supplementing" (or complementing) our traditional wedding with other forms of wedding (which are basically the white man's "traditional" wedding)?

What do you think?
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by jcflex(m): 4:46am On Nov 21, 2014
I do ask same question.

as far as am concern, our traditional wedding supersedes all.

court wedding, I dont knw y we dey copy the white, before you talk, you go see people telling you different story, such as it make the wedding legal, if you want to travel out wit your wife, you will need it at embassy bla bla bla.
my question is must we go there.
ir did our own embassy require the white couple to do our own traditional wedding before they could visit our country..

church wedding is still understand able

2 Likes

Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by psucc(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2014
Traditional is the supreme.

1 Like

Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 21, 2014
let's keep it civil people court wedding which one is traditional again is it not the one you do to feed ppu in your village
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by Medunah: 7:44am On Nov 21, 2014
Traditional is supreme but Court wedding makes it legal and all that shii then church wedding is to recieve God's blessing
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 21, 2014
dpends on their blivs
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by jcflex(m): 8:12am On Nov 21, 2014
samflexxy:
let's keep it civil people court wedding which one is traditional again is it not the one you do to feed ppu in your village

what is this one saying
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by marieolae(f): 8:19am On Nov 21, 2014
Definitely the traditional wedding
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by enixtest: 8:20am On Nov 21, 2014
marieolae:
Definitely the traditional wedding
ok ooo
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 21, 2014
jcflex:

what is this one saying
are so dumb that you don't get
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 21, 2014
The court is supreme and this is because it is the law of the land which religion is not against. The law guides every union between man and woman in the society and not religion.

The religion comes second because it represents your faith and so is required.

The traditional comes third because it is simply cultural and in Nigeria, culture seems to be fast eroding and they are not held in high esteem because of modernization amongst many others.

The law (court marriage) is supreme anywhere. No one (society) recognizes your union without some form of a government document.

Hope this helps?

1 Like

Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by ChildofChukwu(m): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2014
NairaMode:
The court is supreme and this is because it is the law of the land which religion is not against. The law guides every union between man and woman in the society and not religion.

The religion comes second because it represents your faith and so is required.

The traditional comes third because it is simply cultural and in Nigeria, culture seems to be fast eroding and they are not held in high esteem because of modernization amongst many others.

The law (court marriage) is supreme anywhere. No one (society) recognizes your union without some form of a government document.

Hope this helps?

I appreciate your input. But no matter how "civilized" (or westernized) we become, we're still Nigerians. I personally don't see the need for multiple weddings, but the twist is that most families will not recognize other forms of marriage to their daughter (for instance) if the traditional rites have not been performed.

Suppose I can only afford one wedding, which is most important, the church's, the civil society's or my in-law's blessings?
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by ChildofChukwu(m): 9:36am On Nov 21, 2014
samflexxy:

grin grin grin

I think you still have to feed people no matter the type of wedding. Abi you no go do reception?
Re: Traditional + Court + Religious Marriage, Which Is Supreme? by Dannidom(m): 10:36am On Nov 21, 2014
My ideal Ibo and christian mariage (cos am Ibo)

after I propose to her (of course she wil agri) then zoom to our parents to pay bride price and for blessings after that we get a priest (with some witnesses) to help bless and wear the ring (u knw the procedures) then zoom to court to get a legal document.

The beauty is that al this wil be done in just one day no much ceremony if u wan chop make u cum ouse

later we arange for pix with weding aparels. If i hear say we never do wedingshocked

shikana cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

If U Think U Have What It Takes To Be With Me Plz Cal Me Now. 08069517449.a / Hv U Ever Experienced This In A Relatnship B4? / Ladies Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.