Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,353 members, 7,822,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Igbo People Is This True?! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Igbo People Is This True?! (3502 Views)

My Country People, Is This Really A Kiss Or Fight? / Please People Is It Compulsory To Greet Everyone Around You / Help Me Talk People Is This Not Child Trafficking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by cococandy(f): 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2014
I'm Igbo. I've never heard of this. But hey different places with different cultures. All of igboland doesn't have one exact culture. Be that as it may,all this nonsense kinda piss me off. I hate it when people substitute common sense with ridiculous superstition.

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 23, 2014
OTHER TRIBES in NIGERIA have devised several means to berate and desecrate the IGBOS...
This thread is one of such...
Please, were u compelled to marry him..?
When it comes to marriage, a marriageable Nigerian lady irrespective of her tribe hardly rejects an IGBOMAN...yet dey always make people feel IGBOs are the problems of NIGERIA....
Perhaps now an IJAW is there, I guess he now knows the TRUE picture of this country.. that's if he is interested..
Almost EVERY TRIBE detest IGBOs ,except a few like Akwa-Ibom..etc...
IF u ask them to LIST why they dislike IGBOs u hear
utterances that can make one puke....
Despite all diz ,most tribes still prefer IGBOMEN to their indigenous men...ask me Y...

2 Likes

Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 23, 2014
2buff:

You and me both

Lol, Igbo tradition is just scary!

From the ridiculous bride price I read on here that looks like some village fvckers trying to sell their daughters into slavery, to osu (that used to be the biggest topic in the culture section), to all kinds of primeval things lol.

However, I'll admit that they've got some decent and well behaved chics though.

Regardless, with all the superstitious nonsense, you just have to run before you become a victim. grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by Nobody: 12:56am On Nov 24, 2014
freecocoa:
Wait o, I thought he was asking if I'd seen the story before he directed me here, not if I read it before replying cos I did read it before responding.

I'm annoyed at you for making conclusions based on stories by people who know nothing about igbo culture, this isn't the first time you've made slanderous remarks about my people, just read what you wrote and tell yourself you were only asking questions, you even went as far as [size=18pt]saying our pre-marital demands are crazy[/size], even when it's been explained to you that it all depends on family and not the entire igbo race. 2buff, tell us the truth, what is it with you and igbo people?

See you, you go collect the babe by fire by force o.tongue

Is this a joke? cheesy
Before nko? grin
Like, are you seriously even trying to deny this? undecided
Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by freecocoa(f): 7:39am On Nov 24, 2014
2buff:

Is this a joke? cheesy
Before nko? grin
Like, are you seriously even trying to deny this? undecided
Have you not been told that it depends on different places/people?
Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by Hotstepper(f): 1:03pm On Nov 24, 2014
Wen my FIL died nd was buried, there was certain amount of months she's supposed to mourn her husband in the village sef but cuz she's has things doing in da city, she was allowed to go after some time nd she was forbidden to eat meal cooked in the house so food was brought outside from a trusted people. I will confirm my hubby what it's called nd why so. I was told den but have forgotten.
Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2014
The only thing i know abt my own culture cos culture differs even among the igbos is that a widow mourns for 6 months and when going for function she wears black coloured dress for the 6months duration. I understand we igbos are deeply rooted in culture and that's what makes us igbos but civilisation has changed so many things. Now it all depends on the family.

If the lady's husband and family are against her mother coming, its the family not the culture cos my grandmother came to stay with us after her husband passed away.

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by Harvard13(m): 2:23pm On Mar 25, 2015
Igbo people, is this true about your culture?

http://www.stelladimokokorkus.com/2014/01/yoruba-wife-with-igbo-hubby-gets.html

if this is true of your culture, then this is the last card.
It is hard to believe that blind following of pagan traditions like these are still followed by even supposed christian igbos.
And this would just be another reason against marrying igbos besides their crazy pre-marital demands.
yes! its not compulsory but its customary. she also shouldnt wear the mourning cloth outside for dat 6 months.
Re: Igbo People Is This True?! by Richy4(m): 3:05pm On Mar 25, 2015
Op, don't you have any one that is of the same tribe and close to your husband in UK that you can ask?

I believe Nl is full of my mother said we are ibos kind of people. and a lot may not even know their root. Ask your husband close friends.

My peoples' traditional practice are not really the same. It's really different even though we speak the same language. Eg in some part when a man dies, tradition demand that the wife and single daughters and sons shave their hair as mark of respect. Some parts doesn't practice that.

Op just the way some part of where you came from forbids umbrella and others don't, that is how it is. So ask someone close to your husband and please do not hold it against him

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do I Need To Suspect That My Wife May Have Cheated On Me During Her Vacation? / What Would You Do If You Visited Your Married Sister And Met Her This Way? / Sex Trafficking In Benin City, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.