Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,104 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

The Just Shall Live By Faith - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Just Shall Live By Faith (1026 Views)

The Just Shall Live By Faith. / Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Righteousness Of The Laws Of Moses Vs Righteousness Of Grace Of Christ By Faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Just Shall Live By Faith by Goshen360(m): 3:44pm On Nov 23, 2014
Today, I want to correct one of the confusion and heresies going on in the church of Christ. Many Christians are unaware of what this means and many Pastors are also confused as regards the doctrine of Justification by faith. Many pastors do not understand that the law and the way of faith do not mix together as they are two parallel lines. In most of our churches, what see going on are the deceived who are taught they are saved by Grace, but living by the rules and regulations of the laws of Moses. We believe Christ died for us and raised for our justification but we are taught to do works to keep or maintain our justification. We shout God's Grace but when it's time for blessings, we return to the law and collect money using the threat of the law etc. This is one of the foolishness of the Galatian church that was corrected by Paul, the Apostle.

There're four places this statement was made in the bible: Habakkuk 2:4, Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11 & Hebrews 10:38. In all of these scriptures of the NT, it is in contrast with the living by the law after being justified. First, let us begin with how God justifies a sinner whom He had called.

King James Bible
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Romans 8:30.

Justification is the act of God declaring a sinner guiltless, righteous and put right back or again with God. A sinner when he\she comes to Christ, is justified by believing in the finished works of Christ for redemption. A sinner has no role in his\her justification but by believing\faith in what Christ has done via death, burial and resurrection. Christ was raised for our justification else, our faith is useless.

King James Bible
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:1

King James Bible
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

New Living Translation
Yet we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law."

Galatians 2:16.

1 Like

Re: The Just Shall Live By Faith by Goshen360(m): 3:45pm On Nov 23, 2014
So, what is the scripture teaching when it says, The Just Shall Live By Faith?

I put in it in my own words (translation):

The Just (those who have been justified\declared righteous) shall continue to live by faith (because they were justified\declared righteous by faith in the first place; from beginning to ending, not by works of the law).

We have seen many scriptures telling us our justification was by our faith in the resurrection by which we're justified in the finished works of Christ, not by obeying or going back into laws, rules, regulations, self efforts and performance. This justification is a complete package of Christ's finished works and affects every area in the life of believers, not just some areas.

King James Bible
Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Hebrews 10:38

Many people think this verse is talking about backsliding. The book of Hebrews was written to correct mixture of faith with the old ways of the law. "If any man draw back" is a reference to returning to self efforts, performance and obedience to the law instead of living by faith of the Son of God that justified us in the first place. This is the same as with the Galatians, they were justified by faith but false teachers captured the young converts and trying to make them live or return to obedience to the law to keep their justification. But the Apostle of faith, refuted such heresy saying:

New American Standard Bible
Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

King James Bible
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Galatians 3:11

1 Like

Re: The Just Shall Live By Faith by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 23, 2014
LIES

1 Like

Re: The Just Shall Live By Faith by Nobody: 12:23am On Dec 28, 2014
mynairatime:
LIES

If its lies, what is the TRUTH?
Re: The Just Shall Live By Faith by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 28, 2014
The just shall live by fact!
Re: The Just Shall Live By Faith by ichuka(m): 1:36am On Dec 28, 2014
Nice one OP.
Re: The Just Shall Live By Faith by jiggaz(m): 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2015
Goshen360:
So, what is the scripture teaching when it says, The Just Shall Live By Faith?
I put in it in my own words (translation):
The Just (those who have been justified\declared righteous) shall continue to live by faith (because they were justified\declared righteous by faith in the first place; from beginning to ending, not by works of the law).
We have seen many scriptures telling us our justification was by our faith in the resurrection by which we're justified in the finished works of Christ, not by obeying or going back into laws, rules, regulations, self efforts and performance. This justification is a complete package of Christ's finished works and affects every area in the life of believers, not just some areas.
King James Bible
Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Hebrews 10:38
Many people think this verse is talking about backsliding. The book of Hebrews was written to correct mixture of faith with the old ways of the law. "If any man draw back" is a reference to returning to self efforts, performance and obedience to the law instead of living by faith of the Son of God that justified us in the first place. This is the same as with the Galatians, they were justified by faith but false teachers captured the young converts and trying to make them live or return to obedience to the law to keep their justification. But the Apostle of faith, refuted such heresy saying:
New American Standard Bible
Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
King James Bible
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Galatians 3:11
Excellent write up OP!!!!!! The Gospel of Grace is the True Gospel of Christ!!!! Nigerian Christians are living in Bondage and i pity them!!!! The Pastors here in Nigeria mixes the Law with Grace which is not the True Gospel and you made mention of it here too!! Thank God for your life. The Gospel of Grace which is the true Gospel is now spreading all over the world. People are now knowing their true place in Christ. And to the Nigerian fanatics shouting Hell fire all the time, in due time you guys will realize the True Gospel of Grace which is the Believe in the Finished Works Of Christ Jesus!!!
Re: The Just Shall Live By Faith by Scholar8200(m): 1:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
Op, if you read through the Epistle to the Galatians as well as Acts 15, it is clear that what is forbidden is Circumcision as a MEANS of salvation; go down to Colossians 2, the list includes Observance of days and ordinances. Now I have not heard any Nigerian Pastor preach along these lines before.

But when it comes to the Moral law or the Righteous demands of the Law, this is what is written:

Romans 8:4,12,13
4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.

13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

The last verse shows that we still have an obligation to, in the power of the Spirit through faith, live & walk in the Spirit thus fulfilling the requirements of the law.

Galatians 5:19-21
Lists some of the symptoms of those walking in the flesh and concludes saying:

I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Pls bear in mind that these Epistles were written to believers.

2 Peter was written to Gentile believers and this warning against backsliding was not misplaced:

2Peter 2:20

20 For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.(NASB)

and

2 Peter 3:17
You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, (NASB)

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Is Not Real / My Favourite Phrase And How It Changes Lives Globally / Someone Help Interpret This Dream For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.