Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly (2633 Views)

Bafarawa Escapes Arrest As EFCC Lays Siege On Residence / Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS / GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Talkcentral: 10:57am On Nov 24, 2014
[img]http://3.bp..com/-EjzgpaME5QE/VHLeJqBTwEI/AAAAAAABPeU/n5uwUh9CBD0/s1600/IGP%2BAbba%2B1.jpg[/img]

The Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, has shunned an invitation by House of Reps Committee on Police Affairs, an appearance requested by members of the committee to explain the reason for the deployment of heavily-armed security operatives at the National Assembly, as well as the firing of the tear gas which prevented House members from gaining access into the chamber.

The meeting, which was scheduled for 10:30 a.m., could not commence until noon, when the Deputy Inspector-General of Police Operations (DIG), SL Wakama arrived, standing in for the IGP.

In a letter from Abba on his absence, the IGP apologized and said that he could not make it to the meeting because the invitation was received on short notice.
But the Chairman of the Committee, Hon. Usman Bello Kumo, while reacting to the letter, insisted that the Inspector-General of Police must come in person, and dismissed the DIG.

Adjourning the meeting, the committee maintained that IGP Abba would be given another chance to do the needful by appearing before the committee on Wednesday November 26th at 2:00p.m.

It is believed that the IGP is interested in appearing before the Senate but not the House of Reps and this is set to cause another round of crises as the Honourable members are set for a showdown.

http://www./nigerian-politics-news/police-ig-snubs-house-of-reps-over-siege-on-national-assembly/
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by egift(m): 11:27am On Nov 24, 2014
Last Thursday's attack is against the Nation's Legislative Arm of Government. If you think it is just Tambuwal, then you are misreading the script.

2 Likes

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by figment232(m): 12:13pm On Nov 24, 2014
egift:
Last Thursday's attack is against the Nation's Legislative Arm of Government. If you think it is just Tambuwal, then you are misreading the script.
If d IGP fails to turn up who will arrest him?

5 Likes

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 12:18pm On Nov 24, 2014
I said this before and I'll say it again here, this IG is not a smart dude at all.
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Soloter(m): 4:46pm On Nov 24, 2014
This bygot must go. Both the senate and House of Reps committees should unconditionally demand for this man's removal.
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Omooso(m): 4:53pm On Nov 24, 2014
Teribu contiri teribu pipu

1 Like

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Built2last: 4:58pm On Nov 24, 2014
Lets not neglect the principle of cause and effect.

OuR CONSITUTION SAYS THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE MUST BE PRODUCED by the the majority of which PDP is.

Tambuwal has left the majority party but wants to retain his seat and you expect that PDP will not fight back...

If Tambuwal had honourably resigned, Police will not be in NASS to lock up gates or conduct the search they did.

Indeed, A lot of Nigerians were expecting a showdown when the house reconvenes, and police is part of the populace. they saw it coming

We all saw the show down coming...APC members were ready for anything, and PDP members were not ready to have him preside over them anymore. impeachment is still in the plan.( If only Tambuwal knows its a ploy to keep him busy till election is over)

Its was only logical that police will not pretend that they are not aware there will be a show down that day, hence, they had to be there to ensure lives are protected. and they sure did that. No live was lost that day.

Till now the tension and apprehension is still pretty high and Nigerians are waiting for what will happen come December 3rd or 5th when they reconvene. Should the police be there to ensure other. I think yes.

You dont need the brain of an astronaught to know that.

If police refuse to go and lives are lost, Nigerians will screen, crucify the IG.

He knew there will be tension and his men were nowhere.

Its actually a difficult country to govern.

and i pity GEJ because if foul mess and i sense rat in my roof, i will scream GEJ.

People Decieving People (PDP) since 1999

Another Problem Coming (APC) Since 2011.

These are two necessary evils, we have to decide in 2015...We shall settle for the lesser evil.

2 Likes

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2014
Built2last:
OuR CONSITUTION SAYS THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE MUST BE PRODUCED by the the majority party.

Are you sure you are talking about the Nigerian Constitution? If yes, that assertion of your is false, the Constitution never said the majority party should produce the speaker. It only says members shall elect a speaker from among themselves.

4 Likes

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Built2last: 5:09pm On Nov 24, 2014
desgiezd:

Are you sure you are talking about the Nigerian Constitution? If yes, that assertion of your is false, the Constitution never said the majority party should produce the speaker. It only says members shall elect a speaker from among themselves.

Go and read the constitution before you disgrace yourself here...if i post it here...shame on you
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by drnoel: 5:12pm On Nov 24, 2014
figment232:
If d IGP fails to turn up who will arrest him?

he will arrest himself
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2014
Built2last:

Go and read the constitution before you disgrace yourself here...if i post it here...shame on you

By their fruits we shall know them!

I wont ever trade insults with you as I am far, far above that level.

Please, ensure you post that portion of the constitution here and enlighten those of us that are "novices"
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by tit(f): 5:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
The house of Representatives is bigger than Tambuwal.
oppostion reps should stop dragging the house in the mud because of a man with questionable credentials.

1 Like

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 24, 2014
desgiezd:

THE SAME CONSTITUTION ALSO SAID MEMBERS SHOULD LOSE THEIR SEATS FOR DECAMPING
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
Soloter:
This bygot must go. Both the senate and House of Reps committees should unconditionally demand for this man's removal.

YOU ARE A FOOL.APC DOES NOT CONTROL ANY OF THE ARMS OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY AND CANT DO NADA.GEJ IS THE ONLY ONE WITH POWER TO REMOVE HIM.YOU CAN RANT ALL YOU LIKE
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by TippyTop(m): 5:28pm On Nov 24, 2014
desgiezd:

But the constitution states in section 68 that you lose your seat except your party is divided. No one can say the PDP is divided now like it was last year. Tambuwal has no business in the HOR since he decamped. He is just another ordinary man now.
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by LFJ: 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2014
Built2last:

Please post that portion of constitution
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by mentorandfriend(m): 5:38pm On Nov 24, 2014
Built2last:

OuR CONSITUTION SAYS THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE MUST BE PRODUCED by the the majority party.

Tambuwal has left the majority party but wants to retain his seat and you expect that PDP will not fight back...

If Tambuwal had honourably resigned, Police will not be in NASS to lock up gates or conduct the search they did.

Indeed, A lot of Nigerians were expecting a showdown when the house reconvenes, and police is part of the populace. they saw it coming

We all saw the show down coming...APC members were ready for anything, and PDP members were not ready to have him preside over them anymore. impeachment is still in the plan.( If only Tambuwal knows its a ploy to keep him busy till election is over)

Its was only logical that police will not pretend that they are not aware there will be a show down that day, hence, they had to be there to ensure lives are protected. and they sure did that. No live was lost that day.

Till now the tension and apprehension is still pretty high and Nigerians are waiting for what will happen come December 3rd or 5th when they reconvene. Should the police be there to ensure other. I think yes.

If police refuse to go and lives are lost, Nigerians will screen, crucify the IG.

and i pity GEJ because if foul mess and i sense rat in my roof, i will scream GEJ.

These are two necessary evils, we have to decide in 2015...We shall settle for the lesser evil.
You are not making any sense. Our country is descending speedily into lawlessness and you're talking this gibberish. What right has the police to lock up the hallowed chambers. Do you know that PDP lawmakers were already in before the stop and search started?
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by LFJ: 5:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
TippyTop:

But the constitution states in section 68 that you lose your seat except your party is divided. No one can say the PDP is divided now like it was last year. Tambuwal has no business in the HOR since he decamped. He is just another ordinary man now.

Whether the party is divided or not is not what Jonathan or anybody can act upon to remove the speaker, only the court of law can rule on that. That is while those who are intelligent enough are surprise at the reason while it so hard for Mr. President to apply wisdom instead of resulting to militant approch in solving constitutional issue.
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 24, 2014
LFJ:

Whether the party is divided or not is not what Jonathan or anybody can act upon to remove the speaker, only the court of law can rule on that. That is while those who are intelligent enough are surprise at the reason while it so hard for Mr. President to apply wisdom instead of resulting to militant approch in solving constitutional issue.

WHY DONT THE WAIT FOR THE COURT TO ACT WHY SHOULD THEY SUMMON THE IG?
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by tit(f): 5:43pm On Nov 24, 2014
LFJ:

you do not need any court to act on the provisions of the subsection.
Once a member defects, with no division in his party, the member ceases to be a member of the house and should leave.
the speaker then declares his/her seat vacant.

In Tambuwal's case, his seat shall be declared vacant at the next seating of the house.
shikena.
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Abiolainfo: 5:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
desgiezd:

By their fruits we shall know them!

I wont ever trade insults with you as I am far, far above that level.

Please, ensure you post that portion of the constitution here and enlighten those of us that are "novices" Really I don't have sense you know

I don't know Tell me more tongue
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Olaolufred(m): 5:56pm On Nov 24, 2014
Built2last:

THAT CONSTITUTION THAT PUTS THE WORD MAJORITY IS MADE IN YOUR FAMILY HOUSE.
NOT NIGERIA'S 1999 CONSTITUTION.
SO, STOP EXPOSING YOUR IGNORANCE AND VISIT YOUR WEBPAGE.

1 Like

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by LFJ: 6:07pm On Nov 24, 2014
chukwudi44:

They summon the IG because they have the legislative power to do so even the president. It is a criminal offense in a country of sane people to ignore such summon without recognize constitutional excuse. If the IG action is within the limit of law there is no any reason to ignore legislative summon.
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by LFJ: 6:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
tit:

you do not need any court to act on the provisions of the subsection.
Once a member defects, with no division in his party, the member ceases to be a member of the house and should leave.
the speaker then declares his/her seat vacant.

In Tambuwal's case, his seat shall be declared vacant at the next seating of the house.
shikena.

You are not wiser than more than 300+ member of the house of rep. Except if you are telling me that Nigerians are so dumb that we voted over 300 brainless to legislate our affairs. By our constitution, the reason for the speaker's defection is recognize. Based on the current position only two arms of our government can remove the speaker. The legislative arm by 2/3 vote, mind you not on the basis of his reason but on moral grounds or any other reason since they have such power. And by the court on the ground that there is no evidence of division within the party.
Only the court can fault the claim of the speaker that there is division in PDP. Unfortunately our constitution does not recognize your opinion. Up till today, as sad as Mr. President is, our constitution gives him no other option than given full recognition to Honorable Aminu Tubawa as the speaker of the house.

And for you, I don't want you to have heart attack because of the honorable speaker. U know u have not fully recover from witness the crown of Sanusi as emir of Nano.

1 Like

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by tit(f): 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
LFJ:

By our constitution, the reason for the speaker's defection is recognize. Based on the current position only two arms of our government can remove the speaker.

I have more regard for the chief of my husband's village than for the amir of Kano or any other distant chief.

Tambuwal is free to defect and associate with any group of his choice.
However, in this instance, he has to vacate the pdp house of representatives seat.
A court has ruled there is no division in the pdp.

You guys are getting as ridiculous and lawless as boko haram.

1 Like

Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Amanwulu1(m): 8:04pm On Nov 24, 2014
English language has suffered in Nairaland. What is "...gej is resulting to violence" as many who claim to b more educated dan gej are using it? Is dat word same as "resorting to"? Or, is gej also responsible 4 dat. It only confirm dat their problems hv been there ever b4 gej came on board but gej being a light has shone on them that they hv now discovered it. Unfortunately, it is d light dat is being accused. NIGERIA!
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by LFJ: 8:07pm On Nov 24, 2014
tit:

I have more regard for the chief of my husband's village than for the amir of Kano or any other distant chief.

Tambuwal is free to defect and associate with any group of his choice.
However, in this instance, he has to vacate the pdp house of representatives seat.
A court has ruled there is no division in the pdp.

The house of rep belong to federal republic of Nigeria and not federal republic of PDP. And where is the evidence of court rule that there is no division in Sokoto PDP which is the primary constituency of the speaker.

You guys are getting as ridiculous and lawless as boko haram.

The house of Rep belong to federal republic of Nigeria not Federal Republic of PDP. We are guided by the constitution of Nigeria not constitution of PDP.
Pls let us apply wisdom in our thinking.
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by luvmijeje(f): 8:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
In a letter from Abba on his absence, the IGP apologized and said that he could not make it to the meeting because the invitation was received on short notice.

See stupid reason. When the head is rotten, what do one expect from the body?
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 24, 2014
egift:

Tambuwal is the one attacking the very institution he was meant to lead
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
chukwudi44:

This is a very good point raised

Can the IG wait until a court interpretes whether the house has the power to summon him or not before he appear before the reps?
Re: Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly by egift(m): 9:14pm On Nov 24, 2014
mikeansy:
Tambuwal is the one attacking the very institution he was meant to lead

Keep telling yourself that, you will soon start believing the lie for real. Tambuwal is the first Nigerian Politician to change party. There is a case in court to determine his fate along with others (the governors and lawmakers) who change party. PDP, Jonathan and their Police thugs should stop seeking ways to justify their illegal self-help. If the PDP can't wait, they can raise 2/3 majority on the floor of the House and have him impeached.

All Nigeria's problems has roots in PDP.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Same Nollywood Faces Crying # Bring Back Our Girls Finally Sell Their Conscience / leyenfo / Who Will Swear In Nyesom Wike As Governor Come May 29

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.