Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Heroics And Ills Of Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Heroics And Ills Of Buhari (1217 Views)

# Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System / Names Of Buhari's 22man Entourage To New York / Nigerian Army Releases Academic Records Of Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 25, 2014
HEROICS AND ILLS OF GENERAL BUHARI
Because Nigerians are a people with different inclination and for the purpose of those who are detached from history, there is need to put the record straight. Below are facts about GMB. It's an epistle so pls take time to read before you comment.
HIS GOOD DEEDS
1. Buhari was governor of Borno state under Obasanjo regime and later minister of petroleum. He birthed and supervised the establishment of the existing refineries in Nigeria, and over 20 oil depots in the country.
2. Under his watch as PTF Chairman, What he did in road construction within his short period of reign hasn’t been matched in the 15 years of PDP. Hospitals and universities around the country never witnessed as much benefit as they got from PTF from any govt after or before his time. Also, he donated buses for mass transit. The PTF was was managed with utmost transparency under his chairmanship.
3. Buhari was head of state between1983 – 1985 (A period of 20 months). There was no religious crisis while he was head of state.
4. During his regime, Nigeria was no longer in debt as he had repayed all debt owed. He reduced inflation rate from 23% to 5% by fiscal discipline and home grown economic policy (Not achieved under any other era).
5. Drug trafficking was at the barest minimum
6. He was the only leader after Murtala Mohammed who stood up against western domination or Neo-colonialism so to speak.
7. Two Naira equalled one US dollar during his regime. With the naira almost as stroing as the dollar, the IMF & World bank pressured him into devaluing the naira and also obtaining loan but he declined. As a result, Nigeria was cut-off from the World Trade Organization but Buhari resorted to Trade by Barter with Brazil, Austria, France, etc. and he was doing even better. This led to his ousting from office as it was believed IBB was sponsored by the IMF.
8. He divorced his wife (she died in 2006) for collecting money from IBB while he (Buhari) was in prison for 3 and half years. This his did because felt the woman compromised his ethics.
9. He sentenced over a hundred corrupt leaders in Nigeria to prison, Alex Ekwueme his vice inclusive.
10. War Against Indiscipline (WAI) came about in him regime. This means there was no jumping of queue (first come, first serve), no rushing while entering buses, no loitering of public places. Greatest level of orderliness I will say! Traffic laws were adhered to, malpractices were discouraged, sellers were forbidden to raise prices of goods for quick gain. Infact, neglecting your children was a crime. Discipline at its peak!
11. He refused to collect allowance while serving as the chairman of the PTF because he said he was already drawing a pension from government, his conscience would not allow him to draw another salary from the purse of same government. A good reason to justify while he had to obtain loan from the bank for his presidentail nomination form.
12. He returned excess money spent to purse of government on his return from overseas training as military officer.
13. He is the only former Head of state that does not have a foreign bank account or foregn asset we know of. And also the first past leader not to own a property or land in Abuja. He only has two houses; one in Kaduna and the other in his hometown.
14. Buhari personally recommended late Dora Akunyili to OBJ because of her diligence during the PTF interaction. He was also the first leader to include the female folks in his cabinet.
15. Every attempt to rubbish him through probes in time past ended up vindicating him! The man who was asked by OBJ to take over PTF before it was scrapped with the aim of indicting Buhari ended up being prosecuted for misappropriating $100 million dollars PTF funds!
16. He is the only politician in northern Nigeria today who fill rallies without renting crowd.
17. People who know him (including Pastor Tunde Bakare) have said of him, "All I need from Buhari is his word, I can take it to the bank”

HIS NOT VERY GOOD DEEDS
1. When Buhari was jailing the corrupt officials, even some innocent ones were sent to prison before they were later released.
2. because he sentenced some drug dealers to death, he was referred to as "crazy and radical" as this has gotten to the extreme.
3. Ok here is a funny one. Buhari actually hired an Isreali to kidnap Umaru Dikko (a very corrupt official under Shagari regime) from the UK. He was subdued into coma and bundled in a suitcase ready to be flown to Nigeria to serve his jail term, but this was discovered at the Airport. What was he thinking?
4. Under his Decree 4, Buhari jailed some journalists because they couldn't back up the claim of what they published or aired. This he said was to prevent libel.
5. The roads constructed under his chairmanship was argued to have been done mainly in the North. Also, he was critcized to have awarded those road contracts only to his friends.
6. When he was the Head of state, he stopped the construction of the Lagos railway on the argument that he wants to repay all debts. (This criticism is feeble I will say).
7. Buhari has been criticised of being a Muslim fanatic (though he denied this). He has openly challenged those who accuse him of religious fundamentalism to come out and show proof. No one has till today taken up the challenge. Infact, his personal driver of ten years is a Christian from Plateau state.
8. Contrary to his promise in front of the media and supporters in 2011 (which was sealed with tears) that he won't contest for any electoral office again, he is doing so now. After all Buhari means yes when he says yes. Of course he has the constitutional right to contest, but eating his words has done his reputation more harm than good. People now see him, and quite justifiably, just like a typical politician who is unstable and unreliable.
9. Some critics has actually pointed out that Buhari is genuinely motivated by service and patriotism, but he could have done that in an advisory capacity or a chairmanship role but he wouldn’t. Service is not necessarily being in the frontline role, so they claim. Mere mentioning his name as Chairman of EFCC would drive many corrupt men underground. Either the Presidency or nothing, so it seems!

Ok what's your take? Feel free to point out errors in those facts, I have my source as well.

2 Likes

Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Leopantro: 7:17am On Nov 25, 2014
Interesting
Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by yuncka: 7:25am On Nov 25, 2014
Wow! Dats nyc but I will still go for Jonathan.
Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 25, 2014
OP,after promoting Buhari by his good deeds,u demoted him to zero level wit his bad deeds.
CONCLUSION; He is not qualified for presidency.
Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Sibabasibaba1: 7:47am On Nov 25, 2014
Where do you people get this gist that Buhari paid all Nigeria's debts? Buhari in 20 months left Nigeria with $4bn debt. This issue has been debated here severally that even the 'blindest' of the coupist's supporters had to agree that it is a naked lie after datolee schooled them with facts and fugures.

And Alex Ekwueme was not sentenced. Buhari claimed that $56k was found in the guy's house but because Buhari could not bring any shred of evidence to prosecute him, he (Buhari) detained Ekwueme for 20 months without trial. He was never charged to court or even a kangaroo tribunal, hence he was never sentenced.

In an earlier thread, datolee showed that Buhari never initiated nor built any refinary. Yes, he signed the papers for two but they were initiated by Murtala Mohammed. Buhari only fulfilled all righteousness. Anybody who was made a Ministerof Petroleum then would have signed the papers because everything had already been agreed.

While I will not say that Buhari is a religious bigot, I have to say that his utterances suggest that he is one. When he said he would support the 'Sharialisation' of Nigeria and that Muslims should vote for only those who will promote their religion, what did he want non Muslims to say about him--call him a Pope? Unfortunately, those comments made him popular amongst the average northern Muslim, hence he became a cult figure in the North. Riding on that popularity, he joined the then APP which later became ANPP in order to actualise his pipe dream of becoming a civilian president. Recall that then APP had no governor in the south. Recall, too, that it was APP controlled states that declared Sharia first: Zamfara, Kebbi, Sokoto, Borno, Yobe

Buhari is been sold to Nigeria with so many lies. Unfortunately, some people are buying the lies. To me, the only plus of Buhari is that he is less ostentatious than most politicians. Apart from that, nothing. His anti-corruption mantra is hogwash. While he was an illegal head of state, many governors were corrupt and he couldnt do nothing. In previous posts here, I have detailed how Ike Nwachukwu as the governor of the old Imo State scammed the people with what he called SURVIVAL levy. Yet, Buhari did nothing about it. But his supporters claim that he sees corruption both in the secret and in the open and punishes culprits with pronto.

And it is not true that Buhari jailed journalists because they did not have evidence for what they published. They were jailed based on the official secrets decree which barred journalists from publishing whatever would embarrass the government. In other words, he promugated a decree banning the media fron reporting corruption in government circles. You see, that's the man who claims he fought corruption.

In any case corruption is not just embezzlement of fund. It is a complex issue. Even coup plotting is corruption. In other words, Buhari is corrupt. And how does he even to fight corruption? He has not, since 2003, articulated a blueprint of how he will fight corruption.

1 Like

Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by OtunbaJega: 8:01am On Nov 25, 2014
;;; This dude above me get sense at all?

1 Like

Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Brendaniel: 8:35am On Nov 25, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
Where do you people get this gist that Buhari paid all Nigeria's debts? Buhari in 20 months left Nigeria with $4bn debt. This issue has been debated here severally that even the 'blindest' of the coupist's supporters had to agree that it is a naked lie after datolee schooled them with facts and fugures.

And Alex Ekwueme was not sentenced. Buhari claimed that $56m was found in the guy's house but because Buhari could not bring any shred of evidence to prosecute him, he (Buhari) detained Ekwueme for 20 months without trial. He was never charged to court or even a kangaroo tribunal, hence he was never sentenced.

In an earlier thread, datolee showed that Buhari never initiated nor built any refinary. Yes, he signed the papers for two but they were initiated by Murtala Mohammed. Buhari only fulfilled all righteousness. Anybody who was made a Ministerof Petroleum then would have signed the papers because everything had already been agreed.

While I will not say that Buhari is a religious bigot, I have to say that his utterances suggest that he is one. When he said he would support the 'Sharialisation' of Nigeria and that Muslims should vote for only those who will promote their religion, what did he want non Muslims to say about him--call him a Pope? Unfortunately, those comments made him popular amongst the average northern Muslim, hence he became a cult figure in the North. Riding on that popularity, he joined the then APP which later became ANPP in order to actualise his pipe dream of becoming a civilian president. Recall that then APP had no governor in the south. Recall, too, that it was APP controlled states that declared Sharia first: Zamfara, Kebbi, Sokoto, Borno, Yobe

Buhari is been sold to Nigeria with so many lies. Unfortunately, some people are buying the lies. To me, the only plus of Buhari is that he is less ostentatious than most politicians. Apart from that, nothing. His anti-corruption mantra is hogwash. While he was an illegal head of state, many governors were corrupt and he couldnt do nothing. In previous posts here, I have detailed how Ike Nwachukwu as the governor of the old Imo State scammed the people with what he called SURVIVAL levy. Yet, Buhari did nothing about it. But his supporters claim that he sees corruption both in the secret and in the open and punishes culprits with pronto.

And it is not true that Buhari jailed journalists because they did not have evidence for what they published. They were jailed based on the official secrets decree which barred journalists from publishing whatever would embarrass the government. In other words, he promugated a decree banning the media fron reporting corruption in government circles. You see, that's the man who claims he fought corruption.

In any case corruption is not just embezzlement of fund. It is a complex issue. Even coup plotting is corruption. In other words, Buhari is corrupt. And how does he even to fight corruption? He has not, since 2003, articulated a blueprint of how he will fight corruption.

If buhari you claim is corrupt, then GEJ and the present folks in power be brother and sister to satan himself.....

1 Like

Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Sibabasibaba1: 8:55am On Nov 25, 2014
Brendaniel:

If buhari you claim is corrupt, then GEJ and the present folks in power be brother and sister to satan himself.....
-----------------------

I am not claiming that Buhari is corrupt. I am saying that his is corrupt. Coup plotting is corruption. Buhari and his colleagues plotted a coup. So, Buhari and all those who plotted the coup with him are corrupt. Unless you are saying that coup plotting is not a crime.
Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Sibabasibaba1: 8:59am On Nov 25, 2014
OtunbaJega:
;;; This dude above me get sense at all?
------

Perhaps the dude no get sense. But to show say you get sense pass the dude mek you use facts controvert wetin the dude write.
Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Brendaniel: 9:22am On Nov 25, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

-----------------------

I am not claiming that Buhari is corrupt. I am saying that his is corrupt. Coup plotting is corruption. Buhari and his colleagues plotted a coup. So, Buhari and all those who plotted the coup with him are corrupt. Unless you are saying that coup plotting is not a crime.

My brother, coup plotting is not justifiable if the government that was taken over from was not in anyway corrupt, once there is high level of corruption and instability in the government, the military can justify their actions to take over power and stabilize things, its like a clean up, but not to remain in power for long, conduct an election and hand over back to civilian rule.

1 Like

Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Sibabasibaba1: 9:31am On Nov 25, 2014
Brendaniel:

My brother, coup plotting is not justifiable if the government that was taken over from was not in anyway corrupt, once there is high level of corruption and instability in the government, the military can justify their actions to take over power and stabilize things, its like a clean up, but not to remain in power for long, conduct an election and hand over back to civilian rule.

-----------------------------

Coup plotting is never justfiable because most of the time it is motivated by greed or hunger for power. Did Nigeria get better after the 1983 coup? Was that coup not what set off the chain reaction that put us in our current mess? What did Buhari achieve in his nearly two years in power that justified his coup. I grew up in the old Imo State and I know that the state was on the path to greatness in various ramifications untill Buhari and his co-travellers struck. I also know that Jakande's visionary plans for Lagos were also truncated by Buhari. Greed, and not patriotism, is the motivation for 99.99 per cent of coup plots.
Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

-----------------------------

Did Nigeria get better after the 1983 coup? Was that coup not what set off the chain reaction that put us in our current mess? What did Buhari achieve in his nearly two years in power that justified his coup.
Haba! Even if you are anti-Buhari must you go to this extent?
Re: Heroics And Ills Of Buhari by Sibabasibaba1: 8:13pm On Nov 25, 2014
Olekumaster:

Haba! Even if you are anti-Buhari must you go to this extent?
----------------

Why not counter my points with facts? That way you show your love for the coupist.

(1) (Reply)

Please Where Is AMAECHI? / Photos: Gov. Ayo Fayose Inspects Distribution Of Rice In Ekiti State / We Will Expose The Real Buhari — Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.