Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee (801 Views)

Boko Haram Captures Military Items From Soldiers In Borno - Terror Monitor (Pics / 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon / BREAKING: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by aboy247: 3:41pm On Nov 25, 2014
Source: .com.ng

Another Borno town, Damasak, fell into the hands of the terrorist sect, Boko Haram tuesday when 300 soldiers were chased away from the town.

A military source revealed to THISDAY in Maiduguri that the insurgents had earlier attacked the town in the northern part of the state on Friday but lost five men and came back yesterday morning in a reprisal.

The military source, who was not authorised to speak, said the insurgents came in large numbers, attacking Damasak at about 5 am.
He said: “When they attacked on Friday we saw them from afar and shot a mortar at them which hit their vehicle killing five persons instantly and they had to beat a retreat.

“We were also able to capture one of their buffalo vehicles as they did not know what hit them.”
But with yesterday’s reprisal, the military source said the small victory they recorded last week had been wiped out, “as my colleague who was among the 300 in the company at the Damasak camp called me from Gubio that the insurgents attacked today (Monday) at about 5am and overran the camp”.

He said: “No one is sure of the casualties on both sides but it was considerable. The residents did not go unaffected either, as the insurgents killed so many people in the town and equally sent many fleeing.”

When asked if the town had been captured, he said: “I do not know how to answer your question when 300 soldiers have fled a town and there is presently no military presence. What other language can be used to describe the situation other than capture?
“But if you are asking me if they have hoisted their flag, I cannot offer a reply for everyone fled the town.

“As I speak to you, the insurgents are still in the town and people have all deserted, fleeing in differs directions.”
A resident of the town, Abba Lawan, who spoke to THISDAY on the phone, said: “Right now, I am on the run with many other people. Our town was attacked today (yesterday) and we have all fled for our lives, some of us are moving towards Niger.”

But as Nigerian troops were forced to flee from another community in the North-east, the military was more concerned about information on the involvement of local hunters and the Civilian JTF in the war against Boko Haram, stating that the group mostly provides local intelligence for the armed forces in the combat zones.

Responding to THISDAY inquiries yesterday, the Director of Defence Information (DDI), Maj-Gen. Chris Olukolade, expressed dismay in the way totally unfounded combat exploits were being attributed to the hunters in a bid to undermine the military.
Olukolade stressed that while the military has not abdicated its combat duties, the hunters and vigilante groups have been very useful at assisting with surveillance and information.

“They mainly assist in survellance and information but are never at the forefront of the operations,” he clarified.
According to him, all the flimsy and exaggerated claims of hunters’ exploits in the ongoing operations are simply intended to foster a mischievous campaign aimed at disparaging and depreciating the professional efforts of the Nigerian military at containing the terrorists especially in Adamawa.

It is obvious, he said, that the intention is to ridicule and discourage the military, adding that the troops are not moved.
“While appreciating the efforts of the hunters and citizens who have been supporting our troops in the onslaught, the military still remains in the vanguard of the mission to rid the nation of terrorists and their activities.

“We will remain focused and utilise only well-meaning support and advice in the ongoing campaign to wipe out terrorists,” he said.
The Defence spokesman also alluded to the fact that some politicians were exploiting the security situation in the North-east to further their personal ambitions to the detriment of the nation's territorial integrity.

Olukolade however assured Nigerians that the military was still on course in its renewed “Operation No Mercy” campaign, saying that the result would soon be manifested for the whole world to see.

He said: “As much as we are aware of the politicians who are promoting these campaigns for whatever reasons, we will not be distracted by their antics.

“The result of present efforts will soon manifest for the whole world to see and Nigerians and the military will not be diminished as intended by those engaging in the campaign of calumny against the Nigerian military.”

Olukolade further cautioned Nigerians not to allow themselves to be hoodwinked by some false reports on the so-called liberation of certain areas by hunters, adding: “We can only vouch for areas where the military has reported have been cleared of terrorists.”
In the same vein, a senior military officer speaking on the condition of anonymity wondered why members of the public believed reports that it was the hunters who liberated Mubi and other towns.

“Yes, we collaborate with hunters and other vigilante groups but mostly for information. So people have wondered how the hunters with dane guns could engage the same terrorists they claimed have sophisticated weapons that our military could not match?” the source said.

The officer continued: “Now do you see that the same Mubi they claimed was liberated by hunters for over a week now is still being contested. There are on-going operations there and military will officially confirm and communicate to the members of the public after the total liberation of the town.

“How can people start spreading the rumours that Mubi and other areas were liberated by local hunters, when operations are still on-going by our troops?”

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday in N'Djamena, the Chadian capital, reiterated the need for Nigeria and her neighbours to intensify joint actions and cooperation to win the war against terrorism.

Speaking to reporters at the Presidential Palace in N'Djamena after a closed-door meeting with his Chadian counterpart, President Idriss Deby Itno, Jonathan said their talks focused mainly on security and economic cooperation.

The president said Boko Haram has a lot of external influence from outside Africa and it had become even more imperative for all countries in the region to work together to overcome terrorism and other criminal activities across their borders.

“If you look at the economies of Nigeria and Chad both are linked. Boko Haram does not take permission to move from Chad, Niger, Cameroun and Nigeria.

“If the countries do not cooperate, we will not find it easy to win the war, because when the heat is strong in one country, the criminals and terrorists will go to another one and hide.

“So we must work together and we are discussing along that line," Jonathan told reporters.

He recalled that his visit to Chad was the second in the last one month, noting that it underscored the importance of building a “robust relationship” between both countries to improve trade, economic and security ties.

According to Jonathan, discussions between both countries on cooperation in the ICT sector were ongoing and expressed optimism that more proficient use of modern technology would help greatly to address economic and security challenges in the region.

Jonathan was accompanied on the one-day official visit by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Aminu Wali, and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ambassador Ayodele Oke, and has since returned to Abuja.
Re: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2014
I was adamant to d north's plight ..but now I know lots of innocent people re dying off..they actually and really need help
Re: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by fitzmayowa: 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2014
When will all the cat and dog game end Today BH seize some territories today, tomorrow army recaptures the territories again...SMH
Re: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by jacabi(m): 4:03pm On Nov 25, 2014
When will this kind of news cease in Nigeria?
Re: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by sademola: 4:09pm On Nov 25, 2014
jacabi:
When will this kind of news cease in Nigeria?
When we all accept it's our fight immaterial of religion or tribe and most especially if GEJ sits up and do what's right!
What's right, you may ask? Let me make scape goat(s) out of "fingered" or alleged collaborators and erring military openly!
Enough "I sympathise with..... bla bla"!
Re: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by jacabi(m): 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2014
sademola:

When we all accept it's our fight immaterial of religion or tribe and most especially if GEJ sits up and do what's right!
What's right, you may ask? Let me make scape goat(s) out of "fingered" or alleged collaborators and erring military openly!
Enough "I sympathise with..... bla bla"!
Nigeria, a house divided against itself.
Re: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 25, 2014
hmmm. I'm sick and tired of hearing or reading such news. Only if i have supernatural powers. Now i wish some movies are real.
God pls help us.
These killings are too much, people in that state should flee from there na. Scary news.
Re: Boko Haram Captures Another Borno Town, As Soldiers Flee by chamboy(m): 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2014
IF OUR HONORABLE PRESIDENT CANT DISSOLVE THIS INSURGENCY, HE SHOULD RESIGN JEJE

****IN SEAN TIZZLE'S VOICE**** EYIN BOKO HARAMU "EMA WO BI OGUN JERICHO" NO LELE

SAI BUHARI

(1) (Reply)

PDP Senators Begin Jonathan’s Impeachment Move / Gen. Buhari's Touching Speech To The APC Delegates. / How Amaechi Lost VP Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.