Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,028 members, 7,956,819 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:55 PM

New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians (43458 Views)

Phone Number 419ners Now Use to Defraud Nigerians / I Dressed Like A Woman To Defraud Men –alam, Suspected (pictured) / Photo: Beware!!! Scammers Using APC To Swindle Unsuspecting Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 1:20am On Nov 29, 2014
peddyholly:

Mr. man, are u from sagamu?

I am the King of Sagamu.

1 Like

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 29, 2014
Pls note dat no FRSC official will ask of any cash or cash related tins frm victims relations after any crash. FRSC hardly caLl victims r relations wit diff phone number or deir personal phone except if d victims phones are not seen @ the scenes, rather they use d passenger manifest so definitely pple they contact must knw of their relations where about. Shine ur eyes oooo
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by MisterMan(m): 1:29am On Nov 29, 2014
New method? You made me laugh. It is an old trick. Very old trick
Citytab1:

N400 X 10people= N4000 per day. Not too bad for someone who is jobless.

That was exactly what I wanted to post. Get =N= 400 and sell it for =N= 350. Multiply that by about 100 people. That is about =N= 35000. That is a tidy sum of money
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Funjosh(m): 1:51am On Nov 29, 2014
They got our numbers from the registration point lipsrsealed

Stelvin101:
Is it that these stup1d people have access to large data's containing people's number or they just text any number hoping somebody must fall mugu. I have received more than 4 different text from Politicians in ma state campaigning and I also wonder how they come across people's number. angry
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by olumideabefe(m): 2:15am On Nov 29, 2014
Lols, I have received calls from some scammers now not once or twice claiming to be my relative abroad.
SCAMMER: calling my phone with private number
ME: hello
SCAMMER: started laffing hahahaha
ME: hello who is this ...........
SCAMMER: can't you recognize my voice again
ME:nooooo who are you
SCAMMER: ok just guessss now , eyin ara Nigeria yi sa,(speaking in Yoruba)...... immediately I remember how a friend was being scammed , this same tricks was used for him, the scammer was just telling him to guess until my friend mentioned one of his relative abroad to them and the scammer was like oh now you are talking, to cut the long story short he told my friend that he has sent some items to Nigeria through someone and that the person will call my friend when is in town......my friend was sha duped of 1500 card.
ME: ok bros .......... gave him a fake name
SCAMMER: yes now, it's me
ME: I started wasting his airtime and asking him different different question I didn't allow him to say anything lolsssssss, trust me now , I too sharp abeg.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ALAYORMII: 2:29am On Nov 29, 2014
A guy tried scamming my GF on Facebook

The guy was toasting her and telling her all sort of sweet words and that he's staying in Bristol (U.K) and the silly gurl fell for the mofo.

He said he wants to send her stuffs from there that she should send her address, full name etc.

The guy told her he's helped her to send clothes,laptop,jewelries and 300pounds.

Someone called her and told her someone sent her a parcel from U.K and that the parcel is in their office in Kano. The person now asked her if they should send the parcel to her by air or road.

The person told her by air is 59k and by road 20k, she now said by road is ok.

To be continued

1 Like

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Thebrightest(m): 2:34am On Nov 29, 2014
OLAplusONE:
and who was referred to as the Lamb of God? Why nt go and sleep if u got notin sensible to contribute
You are stuuupiid for that senseless reply.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by NellyGhenghen(m): 2:56am On Nov 29, 2014
But this should be the dumbest scam ever. why should someone call you with his credit, to tell you someone you know was involved in an accident. Obviously he is going to talk for a bit, burning his own credit only to ask for N400 credit? angry I'm angry at this cheapness and stupidity, they can do better.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ARareGem(f): 3:03am On Nov 29, 2014
Those same damned scammers called my Dad, telling him that exact scam news! My Dad almost had a heart attack thinking his daughter died before he was able to get in touch with me. And there we were feeling sad for the many departed souls. angry Some people will rot in hell!
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by surveyProf(m): 3:21am On Nov 29, 2014
This is how it works, i.e. For those wondering how those scammers get to have/know their numbers or even get their names correctly, if you notice whenever there is an event like birthdays, wedding ceremonies, etc, and invitation card are printed, where names of people are on the cards to be contacted, God help you if one of your numbers are there, for people to contact, say how to get to venue of the event etc. From research this is how the scammers get your numbers easily, some even attend, to see how rich the ceremony is going to be.

1 Like

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ARareGem(f): 3:21am On Nov 29, 2014
satowind:
Nigeria boys smart die but with accident dat is bad of dem.

But wait oh I tink de guy is preparing 4 austerity.

So I am to infer from your statement that being smart translates to defrauding people and possibly killing them prematurely? And furthermore, all other forms of scamming are convenient as long as using of accidents is not done, right?

May God have mercy on your faulty mentality and low moral standards!
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by oloworulz(m): 3:32am On Nov 29, 2014
Una own better ooo. My brother own na #16,000 mtn recharge card
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Gboliwe: 4:07am On Nov 29, 2014
prince3009:
My mum received a call this morning while lying on her sick bed, it was someone who claimed to be an FRSC official. He claimed that there was someone involved in a ghastly motor accident whom she (my mum) knew and that she should call back...i was already all set for work so i decided to call the number. When i did, the "FRSC" man asked where i was and i told him i was in Abuja. He then said that there was a ghastly motor accident which occurred along the Lokoja/Abuja road and a woman whom we supposedly know was involved.

He said he got my mum's number from the woman's phone and that though she is alive, she is in a very critical condition. According to him, the 3 people sitting down beside her died on the spot and the woman needed urgent medical attention. He further inquired if i knew any Red Cross number and i said no. I told him to simply use the woman's number to call me so that i would be able to ascertain her identity by tallying it with the contacts on my mum's phone or mine so we could know if she was a close relative but he responded by saying that there was no credit in the woman's phone and that he tried the "Call Me Back" method which did not work. He finally broke the camel's back by saying i should send MTN Recharge Card of about N400 to him so he could load the phone and call me back with it. I told him that i would send him just N100 but he insisted it must be N400 or at least N200. That was when it dawned on me. I was so upset cos my mum is a High BP and Diabetic patient which culminated to a stroke months back and was still recovering in my house only for them to spring this up on her. I managed to calm both her and my younger sister down by telling them it was a prank call from a scammer and related my reasons to them.

If you are reading this and got a similar call, please share your experience and for those who have not, be wary...IT IS A CHEAP SCAM!

I usually leave my phones at home when going to church on sundays so one of those days, I came home to see 3 missed calls for a particular number. I had to call back but I didn't have much airtime on that particular line sensing it was an important call, I called with my other line. I didn't even get the chance to introduce myself before the other person said "Yes, your person has been involved in a very bad accident along Lagos-Ibadan express way". Immediately I replied "na your person get bad accident! There shall be no loss in my life" and I hung up. Then I went through the discussion in my head and I felt something was off: 1. How did the receiver know it was me calling since the line I called with is a private line and I didn't even introduce myself? 2. Why would the caller tell me he is a police officer with an igbo name but a very heavy yoruba accent (he couldn't even pronounce the name well). So I knew it was a scam but I didn't know what or how it was supposed to scam me so I quickly recharged my original line and called the man back so I could understand the format. He picked up and went blabbing again how that my person was involved in a bad accident. I asked the name of the person, he said he didn't know because there was no credit in her phone and that the accident just happened (meanwhile, the missed call that prompted my calling was like close to 2hrs ago) and he saw my number and wanted to let me know. That I should send him recharge card to recharge my person's phone so I will know the person. That what where I got the koko! I repeatedly told him its his person who would be involved in a fatal accident. I started to curse him then he hung up. I just shook my head.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by GentleFrank(m): 4:27am On Nov 29, 2014
Na wa ooo !!!
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by nickz(m): 4:41am On Nov 29, 2014
Someone called me last week and told me my eldest bro just gOt involved in an accident at ikotun that I should come ASAP that he was at point of death....that my number was the last number he dialed.
I got scared cause I actually spoke with my brother that morning,I didn't tell my mum,cause she's a sucker at taking death news.I tried his number,it was switched off.
Then I started thinking 'wetin carry baba go Ikotun'
The caller called again saying they needed money for operation that he was tired and wanted to go to his house he said let him send his acc no. SO I could deposit cash immediately cause traffic at Ikotun(tb joshua) might delay me further.
I told him no need,I asked him if my bros wallet was found with him...he said yes(where he shot himself);I told him to take out his atm card and I would give him his password,let him withdraw as much as the doctor needed...gringringrin
The scammer started blabbing cheesy
I told him 'Oga robber no dey rob robber,this your format brain die but don't ever answer a yes/no question,e dey spoil work'

Took me a minute to realise that my brother hates wallets,he has never had one all his lifegrin

8 Likes

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by drake2(m): 4:43am On Nov 29, 2014
prince3009:
My mum received a call this morning while lying on her sick bed, it was someone who claimed to be an FRSC official. He claimed that there was someone involved in a ghastly motor accident whom she (my mum) knew and that she should call back...i was already all set for work so i decided to call the number. When i did, the "FRSC" man asked where i was and i told him i was in Abuja. He then said that there was a ghastly motor accident which occurred along the Lokoja/Abuja road and a woman whom we supposedly know was involved.

He said he got my mum's number from the woman's phone and that though she is alive, she is in a very critical condition. According to him, the 3 people sitting down beside her died on the spot and the woman needed urgent medical attention. He further inquired if i knew any Red Cross number and i said no. I told him to simply use the woman's number to call me so that i would be able to ascertain her identity by tallying it with the contacts on my mum's phone or mine so we could know if she was a close relative but he responded by saying that there was no credit in the woman's phone and that he tried the "Call Me Back" method which did not work. He finally broke the camel's back by saying i should send MTN Recharge Card of about N400 to him so he could load the phone and call me back with it. I told him that i would send him just N100 but he insisted it must be N400 or at least N200. That was when it dawned on me. I was so upset cos my mum is a High BP and Diabetic patient which culminated to a stroke months back and was still recovering in my house only for them to spring this up on her. I managed to calm both her and my younger sister down by telling them it was a prank call from a scammer and related my reasons to them.

If you are reading this and got a similar call, please share your experience and for those who have not, be wary...IT IS A CHEAP SCAM!

JEHOVA bless you!

1 Like

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by udysweet(f): 4:59am On Nov 29, 2014
Those pple!anyhow to mak mony sha?my elder bro cald som weeks bak,sayin sm1 cald&told him dis crap jus told him its scam shikena!tnk God he ddnt send any mony.As 4me dis prank calls&sms is enof to do a series o,lol! D latest one was anoda la casera drink n win.Infact I jus wantd to laff a bit dats y I cald bak.
Me; madam,una say I drink la casera and I win 450k. Wetin una want b4 I go claim d mony o?
Woman on d oda call:wats ur code?
Me;erm lemme go bak and check
Woman:check and giv us a call bak
Me;checks fone to see d 4digit code,I tot fast and decided to swap d digits to "o419" calls woman back. Madam erm d code na 0419
Woman:you must be very stupid,hangs up fone.
I laff ehn,why did she get angry wen I said 419? No be ask for code? I jus add zero put sef
Useless scammers,evn use a whole pastor mrs faith oyedepo's name!
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Prince29(m): 5:11am On Nov 29, 2014
i reciv it 2
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by akatonero(m): 5:32am On Nov 29, 2014
Who re the scammers? Nigerians. ...
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Bibol(f): 5:36am On Nov 29, 2014
I got the same call sometime back with that abuja-lokoja road scam. So dem never upgrade since undecided
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by LagosStinks2: 5:37am On Nov 29, 2014
Nigerians and scams since the the discovery of fire.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by OLAplusONE(m): 5:45am On Nov 29, 2014
Thebrightest:
You are stuuupiid for that senseless reply.
as much as I was taught not to abuse pple, so I wl rather ignore u and tell u to go to blazes.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Amadaz(m): 5:47am On Nov 29, 2014
SuperModerator:
Trying to dupe someone of just N400 credit?

Hard to believe
you call N400, just abi? Wait untill I catch you!
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by eugenela(m): 5:49am On Nov 29, 2014
All these scammers are your friends who knows you very well cos they know that u can easilly fall mugu...... Doh I've experience exactly the same thing twice and I sent the 1st person #100 credit so he demanded that I should send another #5000 so that the Dr could stat the treatment quick that was when I know don I dey enter 1chance.... God purnish devil for me..
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by weber042(m): 5:58am On Nov 29, 2014
[/color][color=#990000]Mind was on lacasera promo oO! I nearly send d artym.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by buoye1(m): 6:10am On Nov 29, 2014
Hahahaha.....u wickedt die!
derrick333:
Hahahah jus same call ,I recivd ysdy,@1st I was scard , but leta I cald all my siblings n de were al fyn,oboy if u c d text filld wit courses way I send dis guy?
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by darlenese(f): 6:11am On Nov 29, 2014
As for me, I think the Best Scammer is MTN
They keep stealing from me daily n harrass me with fraudulent text messages such as:

The secrets of wealth are at your fingertips. Learn how to be successful in your business. Text Quotes to 5040 at N50/Week to get daily business quotes

Successful people defy the odds to achieve greatness. Text Money shop today and defy the odds. Text YES to 5021 to subscribe.N50/wkly.Text STOP to unsubscribe

You don't need to go to business school to learn how to run a successful business. Get daily MTN Startup Tips at N10/day. Text START to 5040 today

Y?ello! Reduce grammatical errors, improve the use of English in communicating and in writing, send ENG to 33388 for daily English words and its usage. Service costs N10 daily.

MSHEEEW

Your life is journey you must travel with a deep consciousness of God. 1 Pet 1:18 MSG. Enjoy daily Bible verses on your phone for daily inspiration, Text BIBLE to 33388 @ N50/week.

SO I NOR GET BIBLE? Msheeeeeew

Ika o dogba (all fingers are not equal) To Brush up your Yoruba, send OWE to 38261 for daily lessons at N10 only.

Enjoy unlimited MTN airtime in the Brain-Wave Game. Answer now! The largest city in Nigeria is? A. Lagos. B. Kano. C. Ibadan. Send A,B or C to 5032

sad if u try this ur name will be sorry

1 Like

Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by DaBullIT(m): 6:24am On Nov 29, 2014
SuperModerator:

Did you read the story

Can someone be this dumb

That kind of dumbity can only be attained from inheriting several versions of dumbness from generations of dumbites
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Cheny(m): 6:24am On Nov 29, 2014
BE811APP:
The one that happened to me recently was my friends acct on facebook was hacked and d guy asked I should send 1500 or 3k recharge card.. I had started sourcing for 1500 card when it dawned on me that its fraud..

My question now is...
Are scammers now so broke that its 400-1500 crdt they are looking for
Think deep folk,by the time the dupe a 100 people of such amount, they know what they will get.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by kart042000(m): 6:27am On Nov 29, 2014
The one i received and my boss also received similar calls. They claim to know you because they would mention where you work.
This guy told me we met at mobil, that they needed to supply some chemicals for pipeline blockages, and that the projects where usually given to hausas, but because the hausa mam purchased fake chemicals, so the man came to meet him if he could tell him where to get an original one.
He then told me we should partner, that all i needed was to buy the chemical in lagos and the alhaji would pick it up from me. He calculated the profit to be 40k and he said they usually buy 100 every 2 weekz.
I asked the financial implications, he said i did not meed to spend a dime, that it is the money the alhaji gives me we would use in purchasing it (i was waiting to hear where he wld tell me to pay or cough out my money). I said that is fine, then he said but i would still have to buy the sample @150k first to show the alhaji, ghen ghen here comes that bait. I told him I didnt have the money, he then asked like how much i cld raise, i said 20k, he said 20k is still money. That he would give the alhaji my number to call me, and that he would contact his person in that company if he could supply 1 for sample purpose and as a sign of seriousness we wld deposit 20k. The line went off, my plan was to tell him to send 130k so i will add the 20k to it and give the guy lol. But i missed his call couple of times and i cant use my credit to call a 419. He never called back.

Lesson: They come in various styles and formats, the moment they throw the bait, send card, money etc please run first and talk to people for advice. This festive season, do not be greedy because they would use that greed to take d sap out of your account.
Re: New Method In Which SCAMMERS Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 6:29am On Nov 29, 2014
SuperModerator:
Trying to dupe someone of just N400 credit?

Hard to believe
such is life or shoul I say such is Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Man In Britain Who Stabbed Mum To Death Is Sentence To Life In Prison. / EFCC Arrests Man For Duping An Irish Businesswoman / Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.