Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics (70014 Views)

Is This Form Of Punishment Wrong Or Right? / List Of Nigerian Private Universities That Does Not Require Jamb / Good Private Secondary Schools Within The Lagos Metropolis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 4:11pm On Nov 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Spanking children slows cognitive development and increases risk of criminal behavior, expert says

A new book by Murray Straus, founder and co-director of the Family Research Lab and professor emeritus of sociology at the University of New Hampshire, brings together more than four decades of research that makes the definitive case against spanking, including how it slows cognitive development and increases antisocial and criminal behavior.

"The Primordial Violence" (Routledge, 2013) shows that the reasons parents hit those they love includes a lot more than just correcting misbehavior. It provides evidence on the effect spanking has on children, and what can be done to end it. The book features longitudinal data from more than 7,000 U.S. families as well as results from a 32-nation study and presents the latest research on the extent to which spanking is used in different cultures and the subsequent effects of its use on children and on society.
"Research shows that spanking corrects misbehavior. But it also shows that spanking does not work better than other modes of correction, such as time out, explaining, and depriving a child of privileges. Moreover, the research clearly shows that the gains from spanking come at a big cost. These include weakening the tie between children and parents and increasing the probability that the child will hit other children and their parents, and as adults, hit a dating or marital partner. Spanking also slows down mental development and lowers the probability of a child doing well in school," Straus says.
"More than 100 studies have detailed these side effects of spanking, with more than 90 percent agreement among them. There is probably no other aspect of parenting and child behavior where the results are so consistent," he says.
The authors, who include Emily Douglas, associate professor of social work at Bridgewater State University, and Rose Anne Medeiros, a quantitative methodologist at Rice University, argue for policy changes that can bring about a total end to spanking, including "never spank" public service announcements, a health warning to go along with birth certificates, and help for parents having problems with their child. Policy and practical implications are explored in most chapters. "The Primordial Violence" highlights include:
• The benefits of avoiding spanking, such as the development of better interpersonal skills and higher academic achievement.
• The link between spanking and behavioral problems and crime.
• The extent to which spanking is declining and why most parents continue to spank, despite the unusually high level of agreement between numerous studies that found harmful effects from spanking.

(...)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131211103958.htm

This in itself reads (from the language used and recommendations) like a pre-bias research work.

Is there anyway you can find out how there research was performed?

I would want to know:

What kind of spanking (and under what circumstances it was applied) was used in their study?

To what degree is the risk increase of "criminal behaviour"?

How does it slow down "mental development"?

What are the risks they identified for non-spanking?

What are the benefits of spanking?

What other associated factors influence their identified outcomes and what weightings were applied to these?

2 Likes

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sagamite:

This in itself reads (from the language used and recommendations) like a pre-bias research work.

Is there anyway you can find out how there research was performed?

I would want to know:

What kind of spanking (and under what circumstances it was applied) was used in their study?

To what degree is the risk increase of "criminal behaviour"?

How does it slow down "mental development"?

What are the risks they identified for non-spanking?

What are the benefits of spanking?

What other associated factors influence their identified outcomes and what weightings were applied to these?

I have done my research (not only now and not only online) and I am quite experienced in this field so it is your turn to do your research and show me how spanking is a good way to discipline children and how it is better than other disciplinary actions.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 4:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I have done my research (not only now and not only online) and I am quite experienced in this field so it is your turn to do your research and show me how spanking is a good way to discipline children and how it is better than other disciplinary actions.

Unfortunately, the research you provided appears to be a scientists' background bias. Seem like poor scientific work and more of a statistical play.

Unfortunately, I don't have the millions to conduct my own research and the nations that can conduct my kind of research would NEVER condone conducting a research that says smacking a child is okay. That would not be funky enough for their "progressive" and "liberal" political scene.

What I know is that, there are many countries where kids are smacked and they achieve better students and better behaved kids at far lower costs on average than the countries where they do not smack.

I also know many other factors contribute to violence in society and there are many remedies for the so called "risks" they say is a result of spanking that other nations successfully have employed.

Take Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Botswana for example.

2 Likes

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sagamite:

Unfortunately, the research you provided appears to be a scientists' background bias. Seem like poor scientific work and more of a statistical play.

Unfortunately, I don't have the millions to conduct my own research and the nations that can conduct my kind of research would NEVER condone conducting a research that says smacking a child is okay. That would not be funky enough for their "progressive" and "liberal" political scene.

What I know is that, there are many countries where kids are smacked and they achieve better students and better behaved kids at far lower costs on average than the countries where they do not smack.

I also know many other factors contribute to violence in society and there are many remedies for the so called "risks" they say is a result of spanking that other nations successfully have employed.

Take Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Botswana for example.

This is a very superficial analysis.

Why don't you mention that in Japan parents do not inflict any punishment on their children until they are four?
I know someone who has lived there and conducted his own research because he and his wife work with children.

Also mention Japan's high youth suicide rates that are the result of the pressure these kids go through.

What I also find interesting is this:

Children cannot learn through spanking alone why their behavior was incorrect (Hoffman, 1983). In fact, spanking teaches children to behave only when the threat of physical punishment is present. Once the threat of physical punishment is gone they have no reason to behave appropriately (Hoffman, 1983). Furthermore, it can be very frightening and confusing for a child to be hit by a parent who they also love and depend on. One research study found that children report feelings of fear, anger, and sadness after being spanked (Dobbs, Smith, & Taylor, 2006). Even if parents also take time to explain the internal reasons why a child should behave, the feelings children experience after being spanked make it difficult to internalize their parent’s explanation (Grusec & Goodnow, 1994).

http://www.human.cornell.edu/pam/outreach/parenting/research/upload/Spanking-Research-Brief.pdf

This is one of the reasons why people in some countries have never learned to do what is right when they know that they will face no consequences.

There are six stages in the moral development according to L. Kohlberg.
Some people NEVER leave stage one due to the way they were brought up.

Level 1 - Pre-conventional morality
At the pre-conventional level (most nine-year-olds and younger, some over nine), we don’t have a personal code of morality. Instead, our moral code is shaped by the standards of adults and the consequences of following or breaking their rules.

Authority is outside the individual and reasoning is based on the physical consequences of actions.

• Stage 1. Obedience and Punishment Orientation. The child/individual is good in order to avoid being punished. If a person is punished they must have done wrong.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/kohlberg.html

1 Like

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Fourwinds: 4:48pm On Nov 27, 2014
sexforfree:
I understand people experienced worse than this. ut experiencing it dosen't make it right

This ish can only be done in africa/india/china
oboy it is time for u t pack ur load. Do u know how indiscipline children of today are? When i was in secondary school, d late Mr Segun Okeowo was my principal. U Dare not come school 1second after 7:30am. Cannt u see how students roam on d street during school hours
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 4:57pm On Nov 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

This is a very superficial analysis.

Why don't you mention that in Japan parents do not inflict any punishment on their children until they are four?
I know someone who has lived there and conducted his own research because he and his wife work with children.

I never said anyone should smack a kid under four.

It is actually a very sensible approach not to.

carefreewannabe:

Also mention Japan's high youth suicide rates that are the result of the pressure these kids go through.

I can guarantee you it is not because of smacking that they are committing suicides. There is more of a complex mix of factors to that. One of the things I noted your research source omitted and made me decide it was bias.

carefreewannabe:

What I also find interesting is this:

Children cannot learn through spanking alone why their behavior was incorrect (Hoffman, 1983). In fact, spanking teaches children to behave only when the threat of physical punishment is present. Once the threat of physical punishment is gone they have no reason to behave appropriately (Hoffman, 1983).

Obviously!

That is another reason I asked to see your research to look a the circumstances under which spanking took place that the scientists conducted their research.

I am very sure "occasional and reasonable spanking plus good highlight of the reason for the spank" would be more efficient and less costly than "we are equals non-spanking parenthood".

carefreewannabe:

Furthermore, it can be very frightening and confusing for a child to be hit by a parent who they also love and depend on.

One research study found that children report feelings of fear, anger, and sadness after being spanked (Dobbs, Smith, & Taylor, 2006). Even if parents also take time to explain the internal reasons why a child should behave, the feelings children experience after being spanked make it difficult to internalize their parent’s explanation (Grusec & Goodnow, 1994).

As for the quotes in red, they better fcking damn be. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Fear is a very useful tool in parenting.

Whatever they feel after the spanking is really their problem. As for internalisation, it depends on a lot of factors: the complexity of the reasons, the level of smacking, the wider culture for or against smacking etc.

Where I grew up, Sagamu, it was quickly internalised and never repeated.

carefreewannabe:

http://www.human.cornell.edu/pam/outreach/parenting/research/upload/Spanking-Research-Brief.pdf

This is one of the reasons why people in some countries have never learned to do what is right when they know that they will face no consequences.

There are six stages in the moral development according to L. Kohlberg.
Some people NEVER leave stage one due to the way they were brought up.

[img]https://abagond.files./2011/12/kohlberg.png[/img]

I don't understand this parts and the link to smacking in regards to pros and cons.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sagamite:

I never said anyone should smack a kid under four.

It is actually a very sensible approach not to.

At what age should children be smacked?

And why is it sensible NOT to smack a two-year-old, who I cannot explain things to but a 15-year-old who is able to listen and to understand?

I can guarantee you it is not because of smacking that they are committing suicides. There is more of a complex mix of factors to that. One of the things I noted your research source omitted and made me decide it was bias.

There always is but spanking is part of their upbringing, which OBVIOUSLY does not make them strong enough.
Apart from this, you have just given examples of countries / regions, which have many problems due to the way they bring up their kids.

Obviously!

That is another reason I asked to see your research to look a the circumstances under which spanking took place that the scientists conducted their research.

I am very sure "occasional and reasonable spanking plus good highlight of the reason for the spank" would be more efficient and less costly than "we are equals non-spanking parenthood".

Now we are getting somewhere.

I like that you differentiate here and this is what you should tell people when you talk to them online. Spanking alone is not enough to change a child's behavior for the better.

What kind of spanking is ok though, when is it child abuse? When do parents take the spanking too far?
When does spanking cause more harm than good?

It is better we stop thinking extremes.

There is the authoritarian kind of upbringing and there is the laissez-fair kind of upbringing, both are extremes which are not good for children.

But just because someone decides not to spank their kids, does not mean that he or she teaches his/her kids that they are equal.

As for the quotes in red, they better fcking damn be. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Fear is a very useful tool in parenting.

For lazy parents or parents who do not know better, same for teachers.

Whatever they feel after the spanking is really their problem. As for internalisation, it depends on a lot of factors: the complexity of the reasons, the level of smacking, the wider culture for or against smacking etc.

Whatever they feel after the spanking is their problem? Be careful it won't become yours.
I see the differences between children whose parents smack them and those whose parents don't.
The latter mentioned need to be treated harshly, the former ones react when you only give them the angry look.

Where I grew up, Sagamu, it was quickly internalised and never repeated.

It is not about you.

I don't understand this parts and the link to smacking in regards to pros and cons.

I was referring to the moral development of human beings which good upbringing takes into consideration.

Many people do only what is right when they know that they will face consequences.
Others were taught to do the right thing no matter if someone is watching or not.

1 Like

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by ceeceeco: 5:28pm On Nov 27, 2014
I went 2 Nigerian Navy Secondary School @ Borikiri Port Harcourt, & the punishment 4 defaulters is worse than dis. I dnt rilly knw abt now cos i graduated 1999.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by arcdone(m): 5:42pm On Nov 27, 2014
Lol.dis man is funny, i don c any wrong is dis .........we call it school right,they commit offence and there are been punish
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 6:18pm On Nov 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

At what age should children be smacked?

And why is it sensible NOT to smack a two-year-old, who I cannot explain things to but a 15-year-old who is able to listen and to understand?

At an age when they are able to reason through the explanation of the smacking. Maybe 5-6.

And the younger they are, the lighter it should be. A 4 year old getting two finger smack on the palm is sufficient.

carefreewannabe:

There always is but spanking is part of their upbringing, which OBVIOUSLY does not make them strong enough.
Apart from this, you have just given examples of countries / regions, which have many problems due to the way they bring up their kids.

Why do you think it does not make them strong?

Why would you attribute not being strong to smacking?

Nigerians are smacked and they are some of the strongest personalities. They can even live in shyt and think it is the greatest heaven in Africa.

What problems do they have? And the people that don't smack their kids do not have problems?

carefreewannabe:

Now we are getting somewhere.

I like that you differentiate here and this is what you should tell people when you talk to them online. Spanking alone is not enough to change a child's behavior for the better.

What kind of spanking is ok though, when is it child abuse? When do parents take the spanking too far?
When does spanking cause more harm than good?

It is better we stop thinking extremes.

There is the authoritarian kind of upbringing and there is the laissez-fair kind of upbringing, both are extremes which are not good for children.

But just because someone decides not to spank their kids, does not mean that he or she teaches his/her kids that they are equal.

Yep. Anyone saying banning smacking completely is an extremist. That was what sexforfree was advocating.

Smacking is part of the complexity of tools to bring up a child.

For different kids, there would be different requirement to use or not use it. There would also be different requirement on the level of use on those you use it for.

My only legislative advocations are:

- No one with any mental health issue should be allowed to smack kids.

- No one with any substance abuse problems should be allowed to smack kids.

- No one should smack their kids when they are under the influence of any substance (above a certain limit).

- Anyone with cruel and unnecessary punishments should be jailed.

- Anyone that smacks to the point that if leads to GBH should face the courts.

Those are what some of the things needed to regulate or act as guidelines for smacking and make it more productive.

That does not mean it would be perfect, but it would be within a reasonable risk level and even better if the economy is good.

carefreewannabe:

For lazy parents or parents who do not know better, same for teachers.

Nope.

Some fear is very good to deliver compliance.

No need to be having some useless arguments with a juvenile sometimes. They need to do as they are told!

carefreewannabe:

Whatever they feel after the spanking is their problem? Be careful it won't become yours.
I see the differences between children whose parents smack them and those whose parents don't.
The latter mentioned need to be treated harshly, the former ones react when you only give them the angry look.

Trust me, babes, no kid can give me heart attack.

I have seen Nigerian kids brought up in the UK and those brought up in Nigeria. I tend to prefer the ones from Nigeria. Super-well behaved.

I have seen some brought up in Nigeria by parents who are funky-wannabes, compared to those who command a level of fear and reverence from their kids. The kids of the latter are better again. That angry look is sufficient to get things done and the parents worry less about their behaviours. They also tend to be not only respectful to their parents, but other adults.

An example was some kids I saw in Central London after which me and my friends hailed a black cab to my car because it was drizzling and the black low-life driver was hating on us and I felt like telling him to fck off. angry

carefreewannabe:

I was referring to the moral development of human beings which good upbringing takes into consideration.

Many people do only what is right when they know that they will face consequences.
Others were taught to do the right thing no matter if someone is watching or not.

Yep.

Moral development is also dependent on the foundation morals of the parents which they use to survive and the morals the society at large they live in espouse.

1 Like

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sagamite:

At an age when they are able to reason through the explanation of the smacking. Maybe 5-6.

And the younger they are, the lighter it should be. A 4 year old getting two finger smack on the palm is sufficient.

Why do you think it does not make them strong?

Why would you attribute not being strong to smacking?

Nigerians are smacked and they are some of the strongest personalities. They can even live in shyt and think it is the greatest heaven in Africa.

What problems do they have? And the people that don't smack their kids do not have problems?

Yep. Anyone saying banning smacking completely is an extremist. That was what sexforfree was advocating.

Smacking is part of the complexity of tools to bring up a child.

For different kids, there would be different requirement to use or not use it. There would also be different requirement on the level of use on those you use it for.

My only legislative advocations are:

- No one with any mental health issue should be allowed to smack kids.

- No one with any substance abuse problems should be allowed to smack kids.

- No one should smack their kids when they are under the influence of any substance (above a certain limit).

- Anyone with cruel and unnecessary punishments should be jailed.

- Anyone that smacks to the point that if leads to GBH should face the courts.

Those are what some of the things needed to regulate or act as guidelines for smacking and make it more productive.

That does not mean it would be perfect, but it would be within a reasonable risk level and even better if the economy is good.

Nope.

Some fear is very good to deliver compliance.

No need to be having some useless arguments with a juvenile sometimes. They need to do as they are told!

Trust me, babes, no kid can give me heart attack.

I have seen Nigerian kids brought up in the UK and those brought up in Nigeria. I tend to prefer the ones from Nigeria. Super-well behaved.

I have seen some brought up in Nigeria by parents who are funky-wannabes, compared to those who command a level of fear and reverence from their kids. The kids of the latter are better again. That angry look is sufficient to get things done and the parents worry less about their behaviours. They also tend to be not only respectful to their parents, but other adults.

An example was some kids I saw in Central London after which me and my friends hailed a black cab to my car because it was drizzling and the black low-life driver was hating on us and I felt like telling him to fck off. angry

Yep.

Moral development is also dependent on the foundation morals of the parents which they use to survive and the morals the society at large they live in espouse.

LOL wink cheesy

Believe it or not, I am not an extremist. I don't consider some "mild" spanking child abuse but before I spank my children, I would first try everything to avoid it and then call daddy on them. grin

Spanking or not, talking about Nigerians, something is fundamentally wrong with them.
I am asking myself why they are so hypocritical and morally crooked. What went wrong?
Part of the answer must be their upbringing.

Why are many Nigerian girls so rude?
Why are so many Nigerian men so dishonest?
Why are they so aggressive?
Why do they always find excuses to engage themselves in different criminal activities and find it so easy to justify them despite acting so holy on Sundays?
Why is there a gender war between the se*xes in this country?
Why are women disrespected so much and their value determined by their age and ability to push out babies?
Why are men respected according to their pocket size and not other qualities?

1 Like

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by nwaobitex: 6:44pm On Nov 27, 2014
Where is the pic
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 7:16pm On Nov 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

LOL wink cheesy

Believe it or not, I am not an extremist. I don't consider some "mild" spanking child abuse but before I spank my children, I would first try everything to avoid it and then call daddy on them. grin

A good licking for a kid is not necessarily bad some few times as long as the other times is mostly about love, fun, mentorship and jokes. wink

carefreewannabe:

Spanking or not, talking about Nigerians, something is fundamentally wrong with them.
I am asking myself why they are so hypocritical and morally crooked. What went wrong?
Part of the answer must be their upbringing.

Why are many Nigerian girls so rude?
Why are so many Nigerian men so dishonest?
Why are they so aggressive?
Why do they always find excuses to engage themselves in different criminal activities and find it so easy to justify them despite acting so holy on Sundays?
Why is there a gender war between the se*xes in this country?
Why are women disrespected so much and their value determined by their age and ability to push out babies?
Why are men respected according to their pocket size and not other qualities?

Yes, part of it is upbringing but smacking would be a very negligible part of the problem.

I have talked about it before. It is about how their culture is developed.

The cultural web explains it well.

www.nairaland.com/746243/pay-bribe-child-pass-exams/1#9032656

www.nairaland.com/1410261/tear-burn-nigerian-passport-once/12#17703773

1 Like

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sagamite:

A good licking for a kid is not necessarily bad some few times as long as the other times is mostly about love, fun, mentorship and jokes. wink

smiley smiley smiley

Nah, that would be a very negligible part.

I am going to do some reading. smiley
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sagamite:

Yes, part of it is upbringing but smacking would be a very negligible part of the problem.

I have read your posts to which you provided the links and I saw that you mentioned Hitler at the end of the second post from the second link.

You said that he was able to make a nation follow him.
Let me tell you that different scholars agree that it was possible for many reasons and one of them was the upbringing of people back in the day.
Germans by that time had very strict and authoritative father figures. They were brought up to obey and to follow and not to think and question anyone in power. This mixed with other factors, such as for example poverty, led to what we now call one of the cruelest crimes against humanity.

I agree that culture influences people but I disagree that upbringing is irrelevant or less important.

1 Like

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 7:39pm On Nov 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I have read your posts to which you provided the links and I saw that you mentioned Hitler at the end of the second post from the second link.

You said that he was able to make a nation follow him.
Let me tell you that different scholars agree that it was possible for many reasons and one of them was the upbringing of people back in the day.
Germans by that time had very strict and authoritative father figures. They were brought up to obey and to follow and not to think and question anyone in power. This mixed with other factors, such as for example poverty, led to what we now call one of the most cruel crimes against humanity.

I agree that culture influences people but I disagree that upbringing is irrelevant or less important.

What I meant is smacking is irrelevant and less important, not upbringing.

As I said earlier:

Sagamite:

Yep.

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sagamite:

What I meant is smacking is irrelevant and less important, not upbringing.

As I said earlier:

Ok, now I get it.

Sorry, my fault.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by otunbadan(m): 8:36pm On Nov 27, 2014
XketchDesigns:
I wonder who this mod is, and the poster too! During my sec.sko days if I could get this I will kneel and kiss the feet of the person punishing me.
no wonder there's little discipline in the young children of today, imagine what d poster said, go to the school and fight the teacher right?

Respect to all the ex-jam n ex-junior pilots and ex-boys

All this punishment no reach corporal rank self....i was expecting to see people soaking,planting d pot...it was fun shaaa..
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by vict505(m): 1:12pm On Nov 28, 2014
Anugod:
How would you know me gringrin

By the way, what year did you finish? Or are you still there?
I am still there how come I am not seeing you? Put ur pix jor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 28, 2014
The ugly truth is that Nigerians beat their children out of anger, and because cruelty begets cruelty. Most of the people in this thread have given the excuse that they were beaten or given painful punishments as children, therefore, it must be right. Someone actually said, "now is their turn". Some honestly do think it is the correct way to raise children.

@carefreewannabe was absolutely correct in saying that it makes no sense to beat a child that is old enough to comprehend your words. They are not animals. They are sentient, reasoning human beings that can be taught. In addition, she quoted something that is the biggest argument against corporal punishment:
"In fact, spanking teaches children to behave only when the threat of physical punishment is present. Once the threat of physical punishment is gone they have no reason to behave appropriately (Hoffman, 1983)."

Why do you think Nigerians are so corrupt? When the possibility of physical punishment disappears, so does good behavior. If a child was brought up not to eat a certain sweet or he would be beaten, would he not eat it if he was sure he wouldn't be caught? Even the concept of punishment by hellfire is not enough of a deterrent, because it is vague and nonimmediate. After all, you can pray for forgiveness. So what does it mean? You have a society that must be monitored to ensure good behavior. In the absence of witnesses and/or immediate and physical punishment, people answer to their basest urges.

Can you conceive of a homeless man returning thousands of dollars in cash to their rightful owner?

"A homeless man in Boston turned in a backpack loaded with $2,400 in cash and $39,500 in traveler’s checks, CBS Boston reports. He found the bag outside a shopping mall in the city’s Dorchester neighborhood on Saturday, and soon handed it over to police. In addition to the cash, the backpack also contained a passport and other personal documents, according to a statement from the Boston Police Department." 2013 TIME

"Joe Cornell tells The Fresno Bee that he found the bag containing $125,000 cash Tuesday after a Brinks truck pulled away from a red light in Fresno and left the sack behind.
The 52-year-old California man is in a Salvation Army shelter and substance-abuse rehabilitation program.
Cornell says he started crying and shaking after finding the money. He says he decided to report it to police after thinking of his coming grandchild."
2014 AP

"Inside, he found $2,400 in cash and nearly $40,000 in travelers checks, along with a passport and personal papers. For a homeless man who subsists on food stamps and spare change, it was a staggering sum, maybe even a chance at a new life.

But James, a slight, bespectacled man in his mid-50s who says he has been homeless for five years, said the thought of keeping the money never crossed his mind.

“Even if I were desperate for money, I would not have kept even a penny of the money found,” he said Monday in a handwritten statement. “God has always very well looked after me.”

James immediately flagged down police, who in short order returned the bag to its owner, a student visiting Boston from China. James, a man who lives in a homeless shelter and relies on charity for change to wash his clothes, had returned a small fortune without a second thought." 2014 Boston Globe

Those are literally just the first three stories I found with a casual Google search. Could this happen in Nigeria? In a situation where the suffering of these three men were exactly equal, and the possibility of being caught even less in Nigeria. In fact, none of the men did anything wrong. The money was lost, not stolen. So, in HONESTY, could it happen?

This is the result of embedding virtues in children with PSYCHOLOGY and REASON, instead of fear. Because as I said a few pages ago, the only thing corporal punishment teaches you is not to get caught. You don't learn why something is bad or something is wrong. All you know is not to make certain figures angry. Why are they angry? Doesn't matter. Don't make them angry. Who are those people you need to fear? The ones who apparently have the right to beat you: your parents, your teachers, the police, soldiers, etc. etc. But once those people are not around, do what you like, just make sure those people don't find out. Oh, don't forget God, he'll beat you too--with eternal suffering. Ok, then don't do it. Unless you REALLY want to. Then do it and pray for forgiveness. Repeat as desired.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2014
MissMeiya:

@carefreewannabe was absolutely correct in saying that it makes no sense to beat a child that is old enough to comprehend your words. They are not animals. They are sentient, reasoning human beings that can be taught. In addition, she quoted something that is the biggest argument against corporal punishment:
"In fact, spanking teaches children to behave only when the threat of physical punishment is present. Once the threat of physical punishment is gone they have no reason to behave appropriately (Hoffman, 1983)."

Why do you think Nigerians are so corrupt? When the possibility of physical punishment disappears, so does good behavior. If a child was brought up not to eat a certain sweet or he would be beaten, would he not eat it if he was sure he wouldn't be caught? Even the concept of punishment by hellfire is not enough of a deterrent, because it is vague and nonimmediate. After all, you can pray for forgiveness. So what does it mean? You have a society that must be monitored to ensure good behavior. In the absence of witnesses and/or immediate and physical punishment, people answer to their basest urges.

This is complete rubbish psychoanalysis.

So you think in societies where physical punishment do not take place if you remove the threat of their other forms of punishment, people would behave with good behaviour?

They would see some others misbehaving and gaining benefits/advantage and many would not join and do the same because they were not smacked?

They would see some others misbehaving and gaining benefits/advantage in a society that has limited resources and is poor and many would not join and do the same because they were not smacked?

They would say I was given "time out when I was a child, so I will be a good boy"?

MissMeiya:

Can you conceive of a homeless man returning thousands of dollars in cash to their rightful owner?

"A homeless man in Boston turned in a backpack loaded with $2,400 in cash and $39,500 in traveler’s checks, CBS Boston reports. He found the bag outside a shopping mall in the city’s Dorchester neighborhood on Saturday, and soon handed it over to police. In addition to the cash, the backpack also contained a passport and other personal documents, according to a statement from the Boston Police Department." 2013 TIME

"Joe Cornell tells The Fresno Bee that he found the bag containing $125,000 cash Tuesday after a Brinks truck pulled away from a red light in Fresno and left the sack behind.
The 52-year-old California man is in a Salvation Army shelter and substance-abuse rehabilitation program.
Cornell says he started crying and shaking after finding the money. He says he decided to report it to police after thinking of his coming grandchild."
2014 AP

"Inside, he found $2,400 in cash and nearly $40,000 in travelers checks, along with a passport and personal papers. For a homeless man who subsists on food stamps and spare change, it was a staggering sum, maybe even a chance at a new life.

But James, a slight, bespectacled man in his mid-50s who says he has been homeless for five years, said the thought of keeping the money never crossed his mind.

“Even if I were desperate for money, I would not have kept even a penny of the money found,” he said Monday in a handwritten statement. “God has always very well looked after me.”

James immediately flagged down police, who in short order returned the bag to its owner, a student visiting Boston from China. James, a man who lives in a homeless shelter and relies on charity for change to wash his clothes, had returned a small fortune without a second thought." 2014 Boston Globe

Those are literally just the first three stories I found with a casual Google search. Could this happen in Nigeria? In a situation where the suffering of these three men were exactly equal, and the possibility of being caught even less in Nigeria. In fact, none of the men did anything wrong. The money was lost, not stolen. So, in HONESTY, could it happen?

This is what you get when people do research from their bias prism and then bring rubbish results because they are only interested in their bias outcome, not objective facts.

And who told you such has not happened in Nigeria before?

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2014/08/meet-nigerian-man-who-found-and.html

http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/18457/53/abuja-cab-driver-returns-n18m-missing-money-gets-n.html

https://www.nairaland.com/163145/man-finds-returns-n95m-rewarded

Did you even attempt to search for Nigerian people being honest before you posted this rubbish, Mrs Psychologist?

They are not poorer, in a society with less opportunities and less chance of being caught?

Or your argument, Mrs Psychologist, would now be that these men were never smacked when they were young?

MissMeiya:

This is the result of embedding virtues in children with PSYCHOLOGY and REASON, instead of fear. Because as I said a few pages ago, the only thing corporal punishment teaches you is not to get caught. You don't learn why something is bad or something is wrong. All you know is not to make certain figures angry. Why are they angry? Doesn't matter. Don't make them angry. Who are those people you need to fear? The ones who apparently have the right to beat you: your parents, your teachers, the police, soldiers, etc. etc. But once those people are not around, do what you like, just make sure those people don't find out. Oh, don't forget God, he'll beat you too--with eternal suffering. Ok, then don't do it. Unless you REALLY want to. Then do it and pray for forgiveness. Repeat as desired.

Is this more of your Okrika expert psychological analysis?
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 28, 2014
Sagamite:

This is complete rubbish psychoanalysis.

So you think in societies where physical punishment do not take place if you remove the threat of their other forms of punishment, people would behave with good behaviour?

They would see some others misbehaving and gaining benefits/advantage and many would not join and do the same because they were not smacked?

They would see some others misbehaving and gaining benefits/advantage in a society that has limited resources and is poor and many would not join and do the same because they were not smacked?

They would say I was given "time out when I was a child, so I will be a good boy"?

Did I give alternatives? Where did I say "time out" is a good practice? Is that even a common practice or an urban legend used to mock noncorporal forms of punishment? I said PSYCHOLOGY and REASON.

Fall back Sagamite.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2014

This is what you get when people do research from their bias prism and then bring rubbish results because they are only interested in their bias outcome, not objective facts.

And who told you such as not happened in Nigeria before?

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2014/08/meet-nigerian-man-who-found-and.html

http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/18457/53/abuja-cab-driver-returns-n18m-missing-money-gets-n.html

https://www.nairaland.com/163145/man-finds-returns-n95m-rewarded

Did you even attempt to search for Nigerian people being honest before you posted this rubbish, Mrs Psychologist?

They are not poorer, in a society with less opportunities and less chance of being caught?

Or your argument, Mrs Psychologist, would now be that these men were never smacked when they were young?
Copy and paste the relevant parts please, with confirmable names and dates. HOMELESS MEN.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2014

Is this more of your Okrika expert psychological analysis?

Is this an intellectual response? Don't give me reason to dislike you. I thought you were better than this.
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Sagamite(m): 3:50pm On Nov 28, 2014
MissMeiya:

Did I give alternatives? Where did I say "time out" is a good practice? Is that even a common practice or an urban legend used to mock noncorporal forms of punishment? I said PSYCHOLOGY and REASON.

Fall back Sagamite.

Okay, tell us the other alternative model of upbringing that you know of that would lead to good behaviour in society if the threat of consequences is removed.

Please make sure the one you state is one we use in the real world, not fantasy land like Disney o.

MissMeiya:

Copy and paste the relevant parts please, with confirmable names and dates. HOMELESS MEN.

Huh?

MissMeiya:

Is this an intellectual response? Don't give me reason to dislike you. I thought you were better than this.

It was not intellectual, sweetie. It was "progressive". undecided
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by gbodimowo(m): 9:18pm On Nov 28, 2014
Please where are the real pictures
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by shogat(m): 10:04am On Dec 11, 2014
nnekamezor:
My gudness! datz pure wickedness nw. Did u sch @ Fegocook?
no i schooled at FGCU
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 11, 2014
shogat:
no i schooled at FGCU
okay.. Watz d full meaning ??
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by shogat(m): 2:27pm On Dec 12, 2014
nnekamezor:
okay.. Watz d full meaning ??
Federal Government College Ugwolawo
Re: Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics by Ndipe(m): 1:30am On Dec 28, 2014
I think the measure of corporal punishment meted to erring students in Nigeria is excessive

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Zainab Aliyu Completes NYSC (Photos) / Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-akoko, Ondo State Post Ume Date Is Out / Secondary School Students Caught In Erotic Romance In Classroom In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.