Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Why is Germany Dominating Europe? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why is Germany Dominating Europe? (2801 Views)

Were Would Europe Be Without Africa? / Why Do White South Africans Refuse To Go Back To Europe ? / A "mermaid" Sculpture Rises In Germany's Alster Lake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by panafrican(m): 4:11pm On Nov 27, 2014
In military warfare, in science and technology, in economy and Finances, even in Sport, Germans are dominating Europe.
I mean France and UK had colonies all over the world including Africa, still they can't match Germany.

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Diffdeef(m): 4:15pm On Nov 27, 2014
Germany dominating Europe in military advancement?

Bro,give it up for the Russians!.

In economy,quite right.

In sports,they just won a cup,no big deal.

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by panafrican(m): 8:15pm On Nov 27, 2014
Diffdeef:
Germany dominating Europe in military advancement?

Bro,give it up for the Russians!.

In economy,quite right.

In sports,they just won a cup,no big deal.
Russia is mostly like the biggest wolf of Asia although some parts of this huge country is in Europe.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Diffdeef(m): 8:30pm On Nov 27, 2014
panafrican:

Russia is mostly like the biggest wolf of Asia although some parts of this huge country is in Europe.
you're wrong,most parts of Russia is in Europe,the little remaining part is in North Asia called "Siberia"
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by panafrican(m): 9:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
Diffdeef:
you're wrong,most parts of Russia is in Europe,the little remaining part is in North Asia called "Siberia"
"don't know whether you are referring to Europe as a concept or as a continent. Not being a European I want to stay out of this debate that goes back in centuries.
see this: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/09/where-is-europe/?_r=0
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Missy89(f): 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2014
Diffdeef:

Little remaining part?

Russia is Eurasia. kind of like in between and most part of the country is in Asia. The most developed part however is the European Russia.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by panafrican(m): 11:54pm On Nov 28, 2014
The French and the Brits are afraid of Russia being part of the European union because it would mean the endgame for their influence on this organization grin
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 4:15am On Nov 29, 2014
There are many reasons why Germany is so successful.

Germany's leaders do the right thing at the right time.
The unemployment rate in Germany is quite low. Some ten years ago it was much higher. Back then the German government introduced a labor reform called Agenda2010, which among other things deregulated the labor market and encouraged investors to create more jobs. The negative consequence of this were badly paid jobs. The German government reacted to it not long ago introducing a minimum wage. Another aspect of Agenda2010 was to reduce welfare spending and thus making unemployment less profitable.

It must also be added that German leaders, no matter what party they belong to, are better qualified for this job than Nigerian leaders. Germany has very few problems with corruption and politicians have to recede from office until they are proven innocent if there are serious accusations being made against them. Normally, people are first sentenced and punished when they are proven guilty. In politics, they have to resign, if only temporarily, until they are proven innocent but you cannot make baseless accusations because there are laws that protect politicians and others from such. If you make baseless accusations, you can be sued and you will have to pay so make sure you have a good reason to make an accusation. There have been very few scandals in Germany in the past but politicians were even sacked on grounds of plagiarism. There were some politicians who cheated during their studies before they became politicians. It did not matter. Cheating is cheating and politicians are expected to set good examples. They cannot get away with what Nigerian leaders are able to get away with.

Germany profited from the introduction of the Euro
The introduction of the Euro, which is a weaker currency than the DMark was, had the effect that Germans could export more as it made their products more affordable for other European and non-European nations. This, as a result, created even more jobs.

Work ethics
It is said that German people, as compared to other European nations, work fewer hours per week. However, I think that they work more efficiently, which leads to better outcomes. I have been to many other European countries and I have made the observation that Germans are more diligent.
This does not only lead to higher efficiency but also to better quality. Germans are known and praised for high quality products.
It must also be added that Germans train young people to be professionals, to do efficient and quality work. If a student leaves school and does not go to university, he or she will have to do vocational training for three years, which consists of about 3-4 days at work in a company and 1-2 days in a vocational college. That makes the German workforce highly specialized.

Innovation
Germans believe in innovation. Germany does not have many natural resources. They know that their success depends on technological and medical innovations, which they encourage and invest into.

Germany's crisis management
In times of economical crises, the German government does not wait till the economy collapses. They apply Keynes' theory, which says that a government has to increase spending in times of a crisis and save money when the economy booms. (Note that this is a very superficial description of that theory). This principle helps to prevent a collapse and to boost the economy again. They are only able to do it because they save money when the economy is booming and inland revenue high. The mentality of the average German is that it is bad to live beyond one's means and this is also why Angela Merkel is very eager to reduce the country's debts. This mentality enables Germans to react in the way I described in times of a crisis.

Sports (Football)
Well, German football is a perfect reflection of what Germany and German people are like. Strategic, hard-working, diligent, precise and efficient.

There is more to be said about the country's success but I hope that helps a bit.

3 Likes

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 4:34am On Nov 29, 2014
panafrican:
The French and the Brits are afraid of Russia being part of the European union because it would mean the endgame for their influence on this organization grin

This comment does not make much sense.

Why would the French and the British be afraid of Russia joining the EU when it is not even on the agenda, not even in remote future?
And if it was, other countries would have bigger problems with Russia than France and the UK. Anyway.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Blackvampire(m): 5:26am On Nov 29, 2014
carefreewannabe:

The unemployment rate in Germany is quite low. Some ten years ago it was much higher. Back then the German government introduced a labor reform called Agenda2010, which among other things deregulated the labor market and encouraged investors to create more jobs. The negative consequence of this were badly paid jobs. The German government reacted to it not long ago introducing a minimum wage. Another aspect of Agenda2010 was to reduce welfare spending and thus making unemployment less profitable.

It must also be added that German leaders, no matter what party they belong to, are better qualified for this job than Nigerian leaders. Germany has very few problems with corruption and politicians have to recede from office until they are proven innocent if there are serious accusations being made against them. Normally, people are first sentenced and punished when they are proven guilty. In politics, they have to resign, if only temporarily, until they are proven innocent but you cannot make baseless accusations because there are laws that protect politicians and others from such. If you make baseless accusations, you can be sued and you will have to pay so make sure you have a good reason to make an accusation. There have been very few scandals in Germany in the past but politicians were even sacked on grounds of plagiarism. There were some politicians who cheated during their studies before they became politicians. It did not matter. Cheating is cheating and politicians are expected to set good examples. They cannot get away with what Nigerian leaders are able to get away with.

The introduction of the Euro, which is a weaker currency than the DMark was, had the effect that Germans could export more as it made their products more affordable for other European and non-European nations. This, as a result, created even more jobs.

Work ethics
It is said that German people, as compared to other European nations, work fewer hours per week. However, I think that they work more efficiently, which leads to better outcomes. I have been to many other European countries and I have made the observation that Germans are more diligent.
This does not only lead to higher efficiency but also to better quality. Germans are known and praised for high quality products.
It must also be added that Germans train professionals, which are trained to do efficient and quality work. If a student leaves school and does not go to university, he or she will have to do vocational training for three years, which consists of about 3-4 days at work in a company and 1-2 days in a vocational college. That makes the German workforce highly specialized.

Innovation
Germans believe in innovation. Germany does not have many natural resources. They know that their success depends on technological and medical innovations, which they encourage and invest into.

In times of economical crises, the German government does not wait till the economy collapses. They apply Keynes' theory, which says that a government has to increase spending in times of a crisis and save money when the economy booms. (Note that this is a very superficial description of that theory). This principle helps to prevent a collapse and to boost the economy again. They are only able to do it because they save money when the economy is booming and inland revenue high. The mentality of the average German is that it is bad to live beyond one's means and this is also why Angela Merkel is very eager to reduce the country's debts. This mentality enables Germans to react in the way I described in times of a crisis.

Sports (Football)
Well, German football is a perfect reflection of what Germany and German people are like. Strategic, hard-working, diligent, precise and efficient.

There is more to be said about the country's success but I hope that helps a bit.
so you can not give facts without mentioning nigeria right what did nigeria ever do to you this so called germans you are praising like a bed wench do you know about the atrocites they committed in africa...i guess not cos you dont read

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by ArtanK(m): 6:25am On Nov 29, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Work ethics
It must also be added that Germans train professionals, which are trained to do efficient and quality work. If a student leaves school and does not go to university, he or she will have to do vocational training for three years, which consists of about 3-4 days at work in a company and 1-2 days in a vocational college. That makes the German workforce highly specialized.

Innovation

Sports (Football)

Spot on.

@Panafrican, I'm not sure if germany is ahead of the UK and France militarily though, they spend more on their defence bill so I'm guessing that they have a slight edge over us. We abolished the compulsory military service like 3 years ago, that took a hefty €8bn off the defence budget and it also reduced the military personnel by almost 80,000 people. People prefer it this way though, that money went to somewhere more important and besides it is better to have quality over quantity. Das ist warum ich liebe schöne Deutschland so sehr. cool

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 29, 2014
ArtanK:

Spot on.

@Panafrican, I'm not sure if germany is ahead of the UK and France militarily though, they spend more on their defence bill so I'm guessing that they have a slight edge over us. We abolished the compulsory military service like 3 years ago, that took a hefty €8bn off the defence budget and it also reduced the military personnel by almost 80,000 people. People prefer it this way though, that money went to somewhere more important and besides it is better to have quality over quantity. Das ist warum ich liebe schöne Deutschland so sehr. cool

True. smiley

Most Germans do not want to get involved in wars, at least not fight in them.

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 29, 2014
Blackvampire:

so you can not give facts without mentioning nigeria right what did nigeria ever do to you this so called germans you are praising like a bed wench do you know about the atrocites they committed in africa...i guess not cos you dont read

I want the best for Nigeria, this is why I speak out against Nigerian leaders.

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Blackvampire(m): 12:21pm On Nov 29, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I want the best for Nigeria, this is why I speak out against Nigerian leaders.
yes i understand but next time create a trend n do just that ,....this trend is all about europe n germany not nigeria
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 29, 2014
Blackvampire:

yes i understand but next time create a trend n do just that ,....this trend is all about europe n germany not nigeria

So what? It is still on a Nigerian forum.

Sorry, but you are not in the position to tell me what I should write and to censor my posts.

2 Likes

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by panafrican(m): 4:30pm On Nov 29, 2014
@carefreewannabe and Artank.
Good to know.Thanks for clarifying.
BTW I spent only two hours at Charles De Gaulle Airport in France during a transit. That's all I have as experience as far as visiting Europe is concerned.

PS: In Football ( soccer) I think African countries such as Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon, Egypt, Nigeria can still beat Germany.
Kenya and Ethiopia can beat Germany in a marathon race.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by ArtanK(m): 8:08pm On Nov 29, 2014
panafrican:
@carefreewannabe and Artank.
Good to know.Thanks for clarifying.
BTW I spent only two hours at Charles De Gaulle Airport in France during a transit. That's all I have as experience as far as visiting Europe is concerned.

PS: In Football ( soccer) I think African countries such as Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon, Egypt, Nigeria can still beat Germany.
Kenya and Ethiopia can beat Germany in a marathon race.

LOL @ those African countries beating Germany. Algeria came the closest in the WC but they blew it because they were unorganised and tactically inferior. Germany could have won that match by 4 or 5 goals.

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Blackvampire(m): 7:10am On Nov 30, 2014
carefreewannabe:

So what? It is still on a Nigerian forum.

Sorry, but you are not in the position to tell me what I should write and to censor my posts.
even though you have no right are you not a german now since it does not operate a dual citizenship..everytime nigeria what is it self not that you are even living in the country..pls stick to your germany n live nigeria out of it
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 30, 2014
as it stands, Germany cannot go to war with the UK or France, for example. They will be dominated if they don't do a massive rearming. Their millitary is incredibly lower than their political and economic relevance and i think its got to do with their Nazi past.

Though they have a very small military, they can re-arm as quickly as possible when the need comes around and can also build a nuke in the twinkle of an eye. They are that advanced in technology.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 30, 2014
ArtanK:

LOL @ those African countries beating Germany. Algeria came the closest in the WC but they blew it because they were unorganised and tactically inferior. Germany could have won that match by 4 or 5 goals.

Ghana came closest
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 30, 2014
Blackvampire:

even though you have no right are you not a german now since it does not operate a dual citizenship..everytime nigeria what is it self not that you are even living in the country..pls stick to your germany n live nigeria out of it

i think you should just let her be if you know more about her. A lot of feminists like her are like that. Especially those ones who live abroad. They have this arrogance towards Africa. That she made a statement like "german politicians are more qualified than Nigeria politicians" is proof that she has this funny idea of Nigeria and Africa! Less 'qualified' politicians have managed to get the economy to grow at over six percent even after the rebasing, they have managed to dramatically reduced maternal mortality rate to below a hundred death in every one hundred thousand births, they have been able to get the country to move closer to food sustainability and have intact made the country to be a net exporter of some food crops. They have been able to, through their policies, open up different sectors of the economy including auto mobile. They have even been able to encourage the emergence of a local car manufacturer! I can go on and on and on to show to you what these 'less qualified' politicians, as you call them, have been able to achieve
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 30, 2014
Blackvampire:

Like I said, it is not for you to tell me what I should post. Am sorry.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Blackvampire(m): 10:51am On Nov 30, 2014
craziebone:

i think you should just let her be if you know more about her. A lot of feminists like her are like that. Especially those ones who live abroad. They have this arrogance towards Africa. That she made a statement like "german politicians are more qualified than Nigeria politicians" is proof that she has this funny idea of Nigeria and Africa! Less 'qualified' politicians have managed to get the economy to grow at over six percent even after the rebasing, they have managed to dramatically reduced maternal mortality rate to below a hundred death in every one hundred thousand births, they have been able to get the country to move closer to food sustainability and have intact made the country to be a net exporter of some food crops. They have been able to, through their policies, open up different sectors of the economy including auto mobile. They have even been able to encourage the emergence of a local car manufacturer! I can go on and on and on to show to you what these 'less qualified' politicians, as you call them, have been able to achieve
You hav said it all but despite of all this they see nothing gud in the country all this diasporans self....always lookin at the negative aspect of nigeria all the time
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Blackvampire(m): 10:52am On Nov 30, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Like I said, it is not for you to tell me what I should post. Am sorry.
Post all you want ...hope it improves your self esteem
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Missy89(f): 11:59am On Nov 30, 2014
carefreewannabe:

True. smiley

Most Germans do not want to get involved in wars, at least not fight in them.

complete lie.

Germany Spearheaded The breakup of the Balkans and even threatened to pull out of the EU if there wont be any intervention
They were the first to recognize breakaway Croatia and Slovenia in December 1991 in defiance of even the United states.

When this lead to unrest in Yugoslavia, They sent a stabilizing military force into Croatia, supported a rouge exile Kosovo government hiding in Germany even thou Kosovo was part of Serbia, Financially supported Kosovo Liberation army. They pushed for a military solution in Kosovo eventually. They were in Afghanistan and Iraq too. All these actions were popular decisions in Germany.
so what exactly do u mean they dont want to get involved in wars?
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 30, 2014
Missy89:

complete lie.

Germany Spearheaded The breakup of the Balkans and even threatened to pull out of the EU if there wont be any intervention
They were the first to recognize breakaway Croatia and Slovenia in December 1991 in defiance of even the United states.

When this lead to unrest in Yugoslavia, They sent a stabilizing military force into Croatia, supported a rouge exile Kosovo government hiding in Germany even thou Kosovo was part of Serbia, Financially supported Kosovo Liberation army. They pushed for a military solution in Kosovo eventually. They were in Afghanistan and Iraq too. All these actions were popular decisions in Germany.
so what exactly do u mean they dont want to get involved in wars?

You don't understand.

Most Germans TODAY do not want the German army to get involved in wars, a recent poll revealed.
The German president, who has a representative function, claimed not long ago that Germany must take on more responsibility and get involved more and if necessary by taking military action instead of solely providing humanitarian aid because as a global power it cannot deny its responsibility to provide more security. He has been harshly criticized for having said that.

So what does it have to do with the war in former Yugoslavia?

It is 2014.

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Missy89(f): 6:57pm On Nov 30, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You don't understand.

Most Germans TODAY do not want the German army to get involved in wars, a recent poll revealed.
The German president, who has a representative function, claimed not long ago that Germany must take on more responsibility and get involved more if necessary because it has a responsibility as a global power. He has been harshly criticized for having said that.

So what does it have to do with the war in former Yugoslavia?

If Germans TODAY dont want war, why are they not demanding for the withdrawal of their 1000 or so troops in the middle east? or the unit stationed in Kosovo? or why are they even there in the first place?

You are either saying the opinion of Germans do not dictate their foreign policy as regards the military (which makes the "Germans dont want war argument irrelevant" ) or they are compelled to fight in these wars because they are in NATO which will be completely false.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 30, 2014
Missy89:

If Germans TODAY dont want war, why are they not demanding for the withdrawal of their 1000 or so troops in the middle east? or the unit stationed in Kosovo? or why are they even there in the first place?

You are either saying the opinion of Germans do not dictate their foreign policy as regards the military (which makes the "Germans dont want war argument irrelevant"wink or they are compelled to fight in these wars because they are in NATO which will be completely false.

1000 troops in the Middle East? What exactly are you talking about?

And please first make sure you understand what a war is.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 30, 2014
Missy89

Political relations
Bilateral relations are good and wide-ranging. Germany was one of the first countries to officially recognise the Republic of Kosovo after the country declared its independence in February 2008 and to establish diplomatic relations with it. The government and people of Kosovo also remember with gratitude that Germany provided refuge to hundreds of thousands of refugees from Kosovo before and during the military conflicts of 1998/1999 and from 1999 onwards helped with reconstruction efforts, initially through emergency relief measures and shortly afterwards by commencing development cooperation.

The German troops (KFOR), police officers, judges and public prosecutors (UNMIK and, since the end of 2008, EULEX) as well as civilian workers deployed there as part of international missions have, through their professionalism and objectivity, helped further strengthen Germany’s positive image in Kosovo.

Germany is considered one of Kosovo’s privileged partners, offering the country long-term support in its efforts towards integration in Euro-Atlantic organisations. Regular visits to Priština by members of the Federal Government and the German Bundestag underline the importance that Germany attaches to Kosovo’s development – also as a factor in the stability of the region as a whole.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/Aussenpolitik/Laender/Laenderinfos/01-Nodes/Kosovo_node.html

Please make sure you understand what a war is before you call my posts a lie. Thank you.
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Missy89(f): 7:14pm On Nov 30, 2014
carefreewannabe:

1000 troops in the Middle East? What exactly are you talking about?

And please first make sure you understand what a war is.

are you saying there are no German deployment in the middle east?

did they fight in Afghanistan? yes or no?
Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Missy89(f): 7:20pm On Nov 30, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Missy89

Political relations
Bilateral relations are good and wide-ranging. Germany was one of the first countries to officially recognise the Republic of Kosovo after the country declared its independence in February 2008 and to establish diplomatic relations with it. The government and people of Kosovo also remember with gratitude that Germany provided refuge to hundreds of thousands of refugees from Kosovo before and during the military conflicts of 1998/1999 and from 1999 onwards helped with reconstruction efforts, initially through emergency relief measures and shortly afterwards by commencing development cooperation.

The German troops (KFOR), police officers, judges and public prosecutors (UNMIK and, since the end of 2008, EULEX) as well as civilian workers deployed there as part of international missions have, through their professionalism and objectivity, helped further strengthen Germany’s positive image in Kosovo.

Germany is considered one of Kosovo’s privileged partners, offering the country long-term support in its efforts towards integration in Euro-Atlantic organisations. Regular visits to Priština by members of the Federal Government and the German Bundestag underline the importance that Germany attaches to Kosovo’s development – also as a factor in the stability of the region as a whole.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/Aussenpolitik/Laender/Laenderinfos/01-Nodes/Kosovo_node.html

Please make sure you understand what a war is before you call my posts a lie. Thank you.

Please what is the point of this garbage?
You said Germans dont want war, then you are showing me a link that shows their troops in another country that is not recognized by some members on the UN security council yet Germans sees nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

Re: Why is Germany Dominating Europe? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 30, 2014
Missy89:

are you saying there are no German deployment in the middle east?

Did I confirm or deny anything? No!
I asked you a question because I want you to be more specific.

did they fight in Afghanistan? yes or no?

Were you previously and specifically talking about Afghanistan? NO!
If you decide to jump into a discussion, make sure you make yourself clear because we are not talking about fashion here.
And before you call my post a lie, make sure you understand it.

Did you get what I was saying? Obviously not!

How does Germany's involvement in Afghanistan contradict me saying that MOST GERMAN people do not want to get involved in wars?

And then tell me how Germany's commitment in Kosovo is a war?
It is obvious you did not know what you were talking about.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Texas Mosque Is Destroyed In Blaze Hours After Pres. Trump Signs Executive Order / Russian Media Released A Video Of A Destroyed Slovakian S-300 Given To Ukraine . / Islamic Supremacists, Stealth Jihadists And Fools Protest Israeli Self-defense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.