Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician (1126 Views)

Why Dr Okezie Is Likely To Be Aba's Messiah / Celebration Here In Aba As Okezie Defeat Otti (pics) / Picture Of A Politician Dressed, And Campaign In Chelsea Kits. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 10:40am On Nov 28, 2014
Why I Am Not a Politician

Earl Okezie

A couple of years back, I think it was around 2001 or 2002, my marriage was still young, children hadn’t started coming, and so everywhere I went that wasn’t work related, I went with my wife. It was really fun because those outings afforded me opportunities to show-off my wife and to know my wife a bit more.

Then my father hadn’t joined his ancestors, and one of such social outings was attending my village and family monthly meetings hosted by father in his small apartment in the Itire area of Lagos – Itire is sandwiched between Lawanson and Ijeshatedo in Surulere area of Lagos.

Those were the years when everywhere you went; people were talking about Nigeria’s nascent democracy because we had just returned to democratic ways in 1999 after being held hostage by the military for over 13 years.

It was fun talking politics with whoever cared enough about politics and what the old, the not-so-old and the new politicians were doing with governance. That’s when the phrase “dividends of democracy crept into our consciousness because there was a deep feeling of angst amongst Nigerians that these politicians weren’t keeping to their electoral promises of giving Nigerians better life.

It was in one of such monthly family meetings in my father’s house, the subject matter of politics crept in to what should’ve been ordinary family discussions. In the course of these heated discussions, one of my uncle’s said something to the effect that I can be in the Lagos talking politics when riff-raffs were occupying political positions and political appointments. In fact, he advised I return to the village and join the political fray.

That made lots of sense to me. Indeed, I began to give serious thoughts to that advice because I knew the riff-raffs he made reference to, and as a community we knew these characters wouldn’t offer our community anything except serve themselves.

These discussions continued over several meetings, and the more we discussed politics, the more my interest heightened. But I didn’t know my wife was watching, reading and monitoring my body language, and didn’t find funny the fact that I was getting convinced to return home to play politics as my people would say.

Then at one of those family meetings, I can’t remember which one now, but I recall my wife doing what I least imagined she could do. She sought the attention of my relations and got it because everyone had known by then that this woman, who agreed to marry their son, isn’t one who ordinarily talks much – at least not in public. I think many of them already had a feeling she deeply cherished her private space.

When she got the attention of the house, she cleared her voice, and apologized for wanting to waste their time with what she wants to say. My relations urged her on.

“My in-laws” she began, “in the last couple of meetings, you people have been goading my husband to return home for politics sake. I cannot stop him. Indeed, if he decides to hearken to your voices, what can I do? But that’s the day our marriage will be over because I cannot marry a politician”. Thank God, she continued, “we don’t have children yet and what will I stand to lose – nothing she stressed for effect”.

When she was done, there was pin-drop silence that seemed to last for eternity.

My uncle, the one who was the chief culprit amongst those urging me to give politics a try – a man known for his courage momentarily lost his power to speak, and when he found it minutes later, he asked my wife why she wouldn’t want me to play politics. After all, man is a political animal and if good men refused to play politics, riff-raffs will have a field day with our lives.

My wife didn’t argue with him. She politely but firmly told my uncle that her husband can’t withstand Nigeria’s brand of politics let alone do the things Nigerian politicians do, and she raised her left hand counting – such as murder, inexplicable nocturnal meetings, oath-taking, lies and deceit, diabolism, intrigues and back-stabs, and on and on she reeled out. She was really prepared.

When she was done, another relation asked her in a rather sarcastic tone, “so madam you don’t want to be first lady.” Sir she retorted, “I’m already first lady in his house, I don’t want anything more.”

At that point, my dad who had been watching and listening intently, cleared his throat to signal a call for a truce, and when he got everyone’s attention thanked my wife for protecting her territory so fiercely and courageously, and then he turned to me looking straight into my eyes, and said, “young man go home with your wife. You’re my son and I know you very well. You can’t do what Nigerian politicians do”.

“She has spoken, and I have spoken, and as he is wont to do, he rubbed it in with a proverb: “the fly that sends its ear on errand, go to the grave with the dead.”

“Leave politics alone. You’ll have enough politics at home”.

Source: http://storried.com/why-i-am-not-a-politician/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 10:43am On Nov 28, 2014
I find this to be a very interesting situation. Many professionals have this problem when they try to enter politics. The question is: if all the decent people stay back, where will we get good leaders from?

The second question is: can you really enter politics as a decent person and stay so till the end?

A fascinating conundrum.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by AZeD1(m): 10:57am On Nov 28, 2014
maclatunji:
I find this to be a very interesting situation. Many professionals have this problem when they try to enter politics. The question is: if all the decent people stay back, where will we get good leaders from?
The second question is: can you really enter politics as a decent person and stay so till the end?
A fascinating conundrum.

Can you enter politics a decent person and stay to till the end? Yes but in Nigeria, you wouldn't win any election.
In a country were tribalism and stomach infrastructure takes precedence over ideology, it becomes difficult for professionals to enter into politics especially if you don't want to get stained.
The best way to get good leaders is to become good followers.

1 Like

Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by wizzie001(m): 11:03am On Nov 28, 2014
A nice write up, but how many men heed/listen to their wives dis days? As much as I would have love to dabble into politics, my mom and my fiancee has warned me against it. Some good men are in politics and still remain good even in the face of intimidation, its a choice sad
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 11:05am On Nov 28, 2014
AZeD1:

Can you enter politics a decent person and stay to till the end? Yes but in Nigeria, you wouldn't win any election.
In a country were tribalism and stomach infrastructure takes precedence over ideology, it becomes difficult for professionals to enter into politics especially if you don't want to get stained.

So in essence, one cannot be an effective politician and still be decent especially in Nigeria. I am almost tempted to agree with you. However, I disagree with you when you say the best way to get good leaders is to become good followers. The fish rots from the head and those in leadership position have the instruments of power to make things happen. That is why all over the world, people have to remove bad leaders before they can make genuine progress.

It is almost impossible to have a bad leadership with the majority its followership enjoying prosperity.
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 11:06am On Nov 28, 2014
wizzie001:
A nice write up, but how many men heed/listen to their wives dis days? [b]As much as I would have love to dabble into the politics, my mom and my fiancee has warned me against it. [/b]Some good men are in politics and still remain good even in the face of intimidation, its a choice sad

Well, you seem to be in the same shoes with the writer.
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by AZeD1(m): 11:14am On Nov 28, 2014
maclatunji:

So in essence, one cannot be an effective politician and still be decent especially in Nigeria. I am almost tempted to agree with you. However, I disagree with you when you say the best way to get good leaders is to become good followers. The fish rots from the head and those in leadership position have the instruments of power to make things happen. That is why all over the world, people have to remove bad leaders before they can make genuine progress.

It is almost impossible to have a bad leadership with the majority its followership enjoying prosperity.
When i said we have to be good followers, i meant we have to start the change from outside leadership positions. We the followers have to stop voting based on sentiments but on values. It is only then that decent people will be encouraged to enter politics.

I do realize that this is a chicken and egg problem but in my opinion, getting the follower ship right is the first and most important step.

1 Like

Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by asodeboyede(m): 11:22am On Nov 28, 2014
His wife is gifted with a rare gift called FORESIGHT! Many a home are in quagmire because they don't really know their onions when it comes to having long term plans for marriage!
Marriage is beyond the 'I love you' "I love you too" rhymes! It entails being pro-active to seemingly little but weighty decisions that must be ironed out perchance!
Each day comes with its own unique puzzle in marriage; so you can't afford to be stereotyped!

N.B: before you crucify me, I only caught a vision of a man who is ready to defend and keep his home by yielding to his wife!
God first, Family second, Other things follow.....
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 11:27am On Nov 28, 2014
AZeD1:

When i said we have to be good followers, i meant we have to start the change from outside leadership positions. We the followers have to stop voting based on sentiments but on values. It is only then that decent people will be encouraged to enter politics.

I do realize that this is a chicken and egg problem but in my opinion, getting the follower ship right is the first and most important step.

Ok, I understand you better. It really is a vicious cycle.

1 Like

Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by mikolo80: 2:23pm On Nov 28, 2014
AZeD1:

says who. different ingredients make a winner. simply work to your strengths and campaign to win by showing you're better instead of playing not to lose
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by AbdH: 9:51am On Nov 29, 2014
Riffraffs will continue to rule them in the man's state, sadly. Nigerian politics is a brand and it seems that it interests only the bad eggs amongst us.

1 Like

Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by Descartes: 9:57am On Nov 29, 2014
In Nigeria politics, civility is always thrown to the dogs shocked

If you doubt me ask Elrufai wink
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2014
AbdH:
Riffraffs will continue to rule them in the man's state, sadly. Nigerian politics is a brand and it seems that it interests only the bad eggs amongst us.

Good people must save our country. We cannot allow the clueless, inept and corrupt continue to rule over us.
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2014
Descartes:
In Nigeria politics, civility is always thrown to the dogs shocked

If you doubt me ask Elrufai wink

LOL.
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 01, 2014
It is my opinion that Nigeria and its politics is not worth venturing into now. It makes beasts out of many men.

I support the opinion of the person who said we should first become good followers by electing good men across board and doing what is right. Only then can we see decent men emerging from their holes to participate in politics.

I know a man who never cheated on his wife in their 22 years of marriage till he became a politician and his aides convinced him that one of the attractions of the office is free women. He lost himself and family in the process. Today, he is out of office and his home has become a house. He is very wealthy now but said he is ready to give it all up to have back the peace and security he experienced in his life before politics.

I vividly Recall the story of a man who became popular for engaging in money rituals just to buy the 80's edition of the Honda Prelude. You wouldn't buy that car for 50k today. Some other guy brutally murdered his brother ( whom their father gave cash 2 travel 4 the purpose of re- stocking their warehouse), just'cos he wanted to acquire the rave of the moment - Pathfinder Jeep. That same vehicle is now better described as a coffin. I Remember as a kid, my whole street gathered to watch a truck deliver a very large satellite dish to my neighbour's house. Today a dish one tenth that size delivers 5 times the value and is in almost every student's room. What about the Volkswagen Santana, Mercedes Benz V boot, 505Evolution, Toyota Crown, all overtaken by latest models of Camry, Honda, Bugatti, Bentley, X6, Acura and Infinity.... Vanity! Some ladies left their true loves cos some rich guy then persuaded them with a Benz 190, which turned out to be the only car they ever owned till date. They found out too late that true love is invaluable. A friend declared drinks because he launched the Nokia Communicator for over hundred grand in 2002. Today that phone would embarrass the owner and is a joke compared to the low cost and everyday phones. What about the MTN SIM card that many people went extra miles before they bought for over 30k, today you will not buy it at N100 because all networks are begging people to even take it for free. People are still making the most horrific sacrifices over 'vanity' and make enemies over worthless material things. What can I Say? Look back at that one thing you want to kill or die for today and see what becomes of it tomorrow. There is absolutely nothing you can't achieve. All you need is a little time and PATIENCE and you would thank God for his blessings.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by AbdH: 4:57pm On Dec 01, 2014
maclatunji:

Good people must save our country. We cannot allow the clueless, inept and corrupt continue to rule over us.

Why was GEJ the first person that came to my mind after reading this? Hmmm!
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by ASL33: 5:02pm On Dec 01, 2014
Who is Earl?
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by asha80(m): 5:04pm On Dec 01, 2014
well riff raffs would continue to rule okezie's state...i hope the wife never gets to complain about governance in that state to anyone....kind of reminds me abia state where charlatans reign supreme at leadership.
Re: Why Earl Okezie Is Not A Politician by maclatunji: 3:22pm On Dec 02, 2014
20pounds:
It is my opinion that Nigeria and its politics is not worth venturing into now. It makes beasts out of many men.

I support the opinion of the person who said we should first become good followers by electing good men across board and doing what is right. Only then can we see decent men emerging from their holes to participate in politics.

I know a man who never cheated on his wife in their 22 years of marriage till he became a politician and his aides convinced him that one of the attractions of the office is free women. He lost himself and family in the process. Today, he is out of office and his home has become a house. He is very wealthy now but said he is ready to give it all up to have back the peace and security he experienced in his life before politics.

I vividly Recall the story of a man who became popular for engaging in money rituals just to buy the 80's edition of the Honda Prelude. You wouldn't buy that car for 50k today. Some other guy brutally murdered his brother ( whom their father gave cash 2 travel 4 the purpose of re- stocking their warehouse), just'cos he wanted to acquire the rave of the moment - Pathfinder Jeep. That same vehicle is now better described as a coffin. I Remember as a kid, my whole street gathered to watch a truck deliver a very large satellite dish to my neighbour's house. Today a dish one tenth that size delivers 5 times the value and is in almost every student's room. What about the Volkswagen Santana, Mercedes Benz V boot, 505Evolution, Toyota Crown, all overtaken by latest models of Camry, Honda, Bugatti, Bentley, X6, Acura and Infinity.... Vanity! Some ladies left their true loves cos some rich guy then persuaded them with a Benz 190, which turned out to be the only car they ever owned till date. They found out too late that true love is invaluable. A friend declared drinks because he launched the Nokia Communicator for over hundred grand in 2002. Today that phone would embarrass the owner and is a joke compared to the low cost and everyday phones. What about the MTN SIM card that many people went extra miles before they bought for over 30k, today you will not buy it at N100 because all networks are begging people to even take it for free. People are still making the most horrific sacrifices over 'vanity' and make enemies over worthless material things. What can I Say? Look back at that one thing you want to kill or die for today and see what becomes of it tomorrow. There is absolutely nothing you can't achieve. All you need is a little time and PATIENCE and you would thank God for his blessings.

This is fantastic post.

You are absolutely right.

(1) (Reply)

Ajimobi Stole All Of Oyo State Money...,the worst gornernor ___NCP party / APC PRIMARIES UPDATE : Atiku Debunks Buhari's Endorsement By APC Governors / Presdent Jonathan: His Undoing With OBJ And GMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.