Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera (2007 Views)

Why Gmb Will Win ~by Aljazeera / Why Is President Jonathan Worried? / Anambra Is The Brain Box Of Nigeria-jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 28, 2014
I know you guys on nairaland don't like to read long articles, so i copied the key point from this article.

Goodluck Jonathan is worried. As he sat down at the Eagle Square on November 11 to formally declare his intention to seek re-election, Jonathan cut a forlorn figure, which he attempted to mask with occasional smiles too artificial to be believable.

Jonathan's staunchest governor-ally, Godswill Akpabio, spoke with confidence: "Mr President, we know that the route to 2015 is not going to be very smooth, but we are assuring you that at the end of the tunnel victory is yours," he said.

He went on to compare the president to "David in the Bible […] fighting all the wars".

Hearing Akpabio's words, I was left a bit confused. Why is our president, close to completing four years in office, still a David? He has no victories against the Goliaths to offer at the end of his term? Why is he still struggling to earn public trust?

Four years earlier again at Eagle Square, Jonathan declared his candidacy for the 2011 presidential election, promising to "fight" eight specific battles.

He promised to fight for "justice, for all Nigerians to have access to power, for qualitative and competitive education, for healthcare reforms, to create jobs for all Nigerians; to fight corruption, fight to protect all citizens, and to fight for your rights!"

Eight struggles, four years, and no victory yet to declare?

A corrupt administration

It is unclear if Jonathan's administration is the most corrupt in Nigeria's democratic history, but never has corruption been this romanticised and institutionalised.

The Code of Conduct Bureau requires all public office holders to declare their assets on assumption and relinquishment of office. But this had no meaning for Jonathan.

"The issue of public asset declaration is a matter of personal principle," he said. "That is the way I see it, and I don't give a damn about it, even if you criticise me from heaven," he said.

Two years later, he delivered another bombshell. Explaining at another presidential media chat in May 2014 on how his administration was tackling corruption, he said: "Over 70 percent of what are called corruption [cases], even by EFCC [Economic and Financial Crimes Commission] and other anti-corruption agencies, is not corruption, but common stealing."

His disregard for one of his eight struggles - fighting corruption - was put not only into verbal use but also into action.

In 2013, his minister of aviation, Stella Oduah, faced accusations of ordering the purchase of two bulletproof cars for $1.6m - about $1.2m more than the market price. More than a year after the scandal, Oduah, who ordinarily ought to be prosecuted, is still prospering and in fact playing a big role in Jonathan's 2015 campaign.

No one truly knows the exact amount of public funds Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, ex-governor of Jonathan's Bayelsa state, stole. But he had stolen so much that when the federal government started an investigation in the mid-2000s, it was discovered that he had some $1.56m in cash stashed away in one of his London properties.

Litany of failed promises
All of Jonathan's 2010 promises were rehashed into a document he christened "Transformation Agenda 2011-2015", which set out to focus on job creation, education, health, power, transportation, Niger Delta development, governance and public expenditure management, among others.

Truly, Jonathan did attempt to create jobs through the YOUWIN initiative. But it counts for nothing knowing how the masses suffer from the partial removal of subsidy in January 2012, from which YOUWIN is funded.

During the Occupy Nigeria protests against subsidy removal, at least 17 people were killed by the police - people whose rights Jonathan promised to "fight for". Till date, no police officials have been prosecuted for the deaths.

It is impossible to say a president has transformed his country's health sector if his own wife receives medical attention abroad; or if after a prolonged strike by doctors, he ingeniously devises a backdoor approach to sacking them.

So it is clear that in 2015, Nigerians will be torn between the devil and the deep blue sea; between a Jonathan who promised but failed to transform Nigeria and an opposition whose chief selling point is directing tirades at the presidency. Surely, there couldn't have been a worse time to be Nigerian.

Source: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/11/why-nigeria-jonathan-worried-20141123104313818965.html

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by temitemi1(m): 6:53pm On Nov 28, 2014
What ever u like talk all what I know is that come 2015 is GEJ. GEJ till 2019 no shaking!!!

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 28, 2014
temitemi1:
What ever u like talk all what I know is that come 2015 is GEJ. GEJ till 2019 no shaking!!!
abeg,tell 'em..

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Zakkyoz: 7:10pm On Nov 28, 2014
Please pdp e-warriors should refute any of these claims with facts and not the usual insults. They will soon regard aljazeera as APC media organ

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by walemoney007(m): 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2014
Com feb 14 2015,I will b one of d pple dat will vote against dis clueless man

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by qadeerkug(m): 7:24pm On Nov 28, 2014
temitemi1:
who d phuck is dis mchew see mr jonna will go down

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by idedan(m): 7:25pm On Nov 28, 2014
Whatever you people say, he is already the winner. Come 2015 we will celebrate his victory together.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by ellguapo: 7:42pm On Nov 28, 2014
APC oh, PDP oh

"Surely, there couldn't have been a worse time to be Nigerian"

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by temitemi1(m): 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2014
qadeerkug:
who d phuck is dis mchew see mr jonna will go down
CLAPTRAP!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by solid3(m): 8:02pm On Nov 28, 2014
I know this kind of thread will never make front page. Don't ask me why.
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by XketchDesigns(m): 9:02pm On Nov 28, 2014
Sad, the first poster just summarises the typical GEJ supporter. Even with all the facts put before their eyes they don't care, most try to divert attention with insults, others try to cook up some funny excuses for him but majority just don't care. It's really sad. Bigotry..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Kewt: 9:06pm On Nov 28, 2014
temitemi1:

Quotes like this are the reason why Nigeria ain't moving forward.

My prayer for this op is this: May God make your family the same way GEJ has been ruling Naigeria!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 28, 2014
"Surely, there couldn't have been a worse time to be Nigerian"
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 28, 2014

Would they hear?
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by lmm4real: 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2014
Even if he wins, 4 years no be for ever. I will come and go then we would see what is left of Nigeria. with GEJ as president Iwela and her voodoo economic as finance minister and oil money Daziani as petroleum minister.
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by drauj(m): 9:51pm On Nov 28, 2014
temitemi1:
May God handle you and your lineage the way GEJ is handling Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by omarlee(m): 9:51pm On Nov 28, 2014
The JonaTAN apologists are shameless imps who are blinded by sentiment to believe that the GEJ government has delivered in it promises. They believe in democracy without opposition-which is impossible-we can't forget the sacrifices of those who layed their lives in other for us to enjoy this democratic dispensation-we can't allow this fedora wearing man to run our country aground. Imagine D recent downfall in oil price, its just weeks into it but this government has already started spreading the gospel of doom-when d price was high they were lining their pockets. E dey pain me die
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Rilwayne001: 9:55pm On Nov 28, 2014
Seun and his chiefs should put this on FP please
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by shaggy007(m): 10:21pm On Nov 28, 2014
nuttyhnic:
I know you guys on nairaland don't like to read long articles, so i copied the key point from this article.

Goodluck Jonathan is worried. As he sat down at the Eagle Square on November 11 to formally declare his intention to seek re-election, Jonathan cut a forlorn figure, which he attempted to mask with occasional smiles too artificial to be believable.

Jonathan's staunchest governor-ally, Godswill Akpabio, spoke with confidence: "Mr President, we know that the route to 2015 is not going to be very smooth, but we are assuring you that at the end of the tunnel victory is yours," he said.

He went on to compare the president to "David in the Bible […] fighting all the wars".

Hearing Akpabio's words, I was left a bit confused. Why is our president, close to completing four years in office, still a David? He has no victories against the Goliaths to offer at the end of his term? Why is he still struggling to earn public trust?

Four years earlier again at Eagle Square, Jonathan declared his candidacy for the 2011 presidential election, promising to "fight" eight specific battles.

He promised to fight for "justice, for all Nigerians to have access to power, for qualitative and competitive education, for healthcare reforms, to create jobs for all Nigerians; to fight corruption, fight to protect all citizens, and to fight for your rights!"

Eight struggles, four years, and no victory yet to declare?

A corrupt administration

It is unclear if Jonathan's administration is the most corrupt in Nigeria's democratic history, but never has corruption been this romanticised and institutionalised.

The Code of Conduct Bureau requires all public office holders to declare their assets on assumption and relinquishment of office. But this had no meaning for Jonathan.

"The issue of public asset declaration is a matter of personal principle," he said. "That is the way I see it, and I don't give a damn about it, even if you criticise me from heaven," he said.

Two years later, he delivered another bombshell. Explaining at another presidential media chat in May 2014 on how his administration was tackling corruption, he said: "Over 70 percent of what are called corruption [cases], even by EFCC [Economic and Financial Crimes Commission] and other anti-corruption agencies, is not corruption, but common stealing."

His disregard for one of his eight struggles - fighting corruption - was put not only into verbal use but also into action.

In 2013, his minister of aviation, Stella Oduah, faced accusations of ordering the purchase of two bulletproof cars for $1.6m - about $1.2m more than the market price. More than a year after the scandal, Oduah, who ordinarily ought to be prosecuted, is still prospering and in fact playing a big role in Jonathan's 2015 campaign.

No one truly knows the exact amount of public funds Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, ex-governor of Jonathan's Bayelsa state, stole. But he had stolen so much that when the federal government started an investigation in the mid-2000s, it was discovered that he had some $1.56m in cash stashed away in one of his London properties.

Litany of failed promises
All of Jonathan's 2010 promises were rehashed into a document he christened "Transformation Agenda 2011-2015", which set out to focus on job creation, education, health, power, transportation, Niger Delta development, governance and public expenditure management, among others.

Truly, Jonathan did attempt to create jobs through the YOUWIN initiative. But it counts for nothing knowing how the masses suffer from the partial removal of subsidy in January 2012, from which YOUWIN is funded.

During the Occupy Nigeria protests against subsidy removal, at least 17 people were killed by the police - people whose rights Jonathan promised to "fight for". Till date, no police officials have been prosecuted for the deaths.

It is impossible to say a president has transformed his country's health sector if his own wife receives medical attention abroad; or if after a prolonged strike by doctors, he ingeniously devises a backdoor approach to sacking them.

So it is clear that in 2015, Nigerians will be torn between the devil and the deep blue sea; between a Jonathan who promised but failed to transform Nigeria and an opposition whose chief selling point is directing tirades at the presidency. Surely, there couldn't have been a worse time to be Nigerian.

Source: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/11/why-nigeria-jonathan-worried-20141123104313818965.html

O Aljazeera, Jonathan is not worried.

He's going about his normal business and you're complaining.

You want him to be worried

You guys are worried that he's not worried.

He's not even flinching.

I bet you haven't seen a man like that before.
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by medamillion(m): 11:00pm On Nov 28, 2014
Mod! Front Page please
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by SuperModerator: 11:01pm On Nov 28, 2014
temitemi1:
Good job, oya go and collect your money from your paymaster.

How much per post sef?
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Jonathan Worried? - By Aljazeera by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 28, 2014
temitemi1:
Say no more.

(1) (Reply)

[photos] Dashing Buhari In New Campaign Pictures / Exposed : Akinwunmi Ambode Is Not A Lagosian / Congratulations To Gov Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.