Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! - Foreign Affairs (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! (656733 Views)

Trump Wins Big On Super Tuesday, But Rivals Fight On / Clinton Blames Islamic Militants Rise On Obama Policies / Hillary Clinton Given £80 Parking Fine In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (539) (Go Down)

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 1:58pm On Jul 08, 2016
Remember. Ignorance of the Law is now a defence in the US. #crookedHillary
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 2:14pm On Jul 08, 2016
Dudeweedlmao:

Tell me why you need anything other than pistols for self defense

Tell me why a sane country will allow people access to high powered weapon in the name of self defense.

Are you american and have you read the consitution and the federalist papers that documented the thinking behind the type of society the founders wanted?

If not you cant understand.

How was Nigeria's democracy dissolved in 1966? And years after that what kept the juntas in power?
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by BlackBaron: 2:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
Unfortunate events the past few days...RIP to all involved in the tragedy; the black men and the cops

This is how I see America (at least in the areas concerned for now)
It has a race problem, a police brutality issue, gun rights problem plus others.

My take has always been 'All lives matter' due to many reasons that other Americans have also gotten executed due to their system of 'aggresive policing and procedures'.

The deaths of the 2 black men that spun off this whole episode in my opinion were completely unjustified and thus really warrants angry remonstration (including outcries about racial prejudice) from all concerned. It is yet another killing by the bunch of militarised 'law enforcement' police officers in the US.

My reason for all lives matter boils down to the dynamics of violent death in black populations in America whose numbers for black on black murders outstrips that of police on black murders. The former seems not to be a significant political conversation from BLM compared to police killings.
I feel it to be double standards or probably a lack of will to also aggressively protest black on black crimes. Not saying that racial profiling and killings should be ignored or wished away. However, their voice has not been heard any louder whenever black - black violence occurs which takes place every week.
Hopefully all Americans can get their heads out of their asses sorting out their racial differences, policing issues and their communities.
In Europe, issues like this are far and between...
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 3:18pm On Jul 08, 2016
BlackBaron:
Unfortunate events the past few days...RIP to all involved in the tragedy; the black men and the cops

This is how I see America (at least in the areas concerned for now)
It has a race problem, a police brutality issue, gun rights problem plus others.

My take has always been 'All lives matter' due to many reasons that other Americans have also gotten executed due to their system of 'aggresive policing and procedures'.

The deaths of the 2 black men that spun off this whole episode in my opinion were completely unjustified and thus really warrants angry remonstration (including outcries about racial prejudice) from all concerned. It is yet another killing by the bunch of militarised 'law enforcement' police officers in the US.

My reason for all lives matter boils down to the dynamics of violent death in black populations in America whose numbers for black on black murders outstrips that of police on black murders. The former seems not to be a significant political conversation from BLM compared to police killings.
I feel it to be double standards or probably a lack of will to also aggressively protest black on black crimes. Not saying that racial profiling and killings should be ignored or wished away. However, their voice has not been heard any louder whenever black - black violence occurs which takes place every week.
Hopefully all Americans can get their heads out of their asses sorting out their racial differences, policing issues and their communities.
In Europe, issues like this are far and between...
You are correct to certain extent in your post. The difference between Blacks on Blacks crime and White police officers killing Blacks is that the officers are sworn to serve and protect. People vigorously condemn Blacks killing each other. I live in Chicago land and Chicago is notorious for gang killings . So I disagree that people dont condemn the killings of Blacks by Blacks. We have black love and other anti violence measures in Chicago and other cities in US. That doesn't bring ratings to the TV stations and that's why they don't cover the events. Yes all lifes matters. If those two guys were Whites, I bet you a dollar to doughnuts, they would be alive today.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by happney65: 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

Are you american and have you read the consitution and the federalist papers that documented the thinking behind the type of society the founders wanted?

How was Nigeria's democracy dissolved in 1966? And years after that what kept the juntas in power?

That was then..It should not be allowed anymore..I mean,Which country allows the Sale of Military Grade Guns on its street apart from America?
Common,Guns like that should not be in the arms of people at all..They are Guns meant for war and should be.Also there should be common sense gun laws..You should not be able to work into a store and buy military grade equipment without a comprehensive background check.

Also,If you think because this was started by the Founding fathers and the status quo should remain,then also,the status quo shoulf remain for immigration..Isnt it?People should be able to enter America at will..Isnt it?

So if you dont support people coming into america at will as it was done in 1880,then we should also a common sense gun reform..That is not too much to ask for..

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 08, 2016
You can only take so much...

This is a classic case (again) of "few bad corrupting the many".

There will be protests, memes, and a lot of media generated attention,

There will be traffic in the internet, with massive internet battle betwen "supremacist racists" and "liberal blacks".

Oh, we're gonna see candlelight procession, a show of remorse from the white community and another police promise that "it will never happen again".

The old wounds now reopened will be buried again......

It's honestly like a sad repetitive cycle; as ever constant as the change of seasons...

Blacks, my fellow negroes, that's how it is honestly.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 3:45pm On Jul 08, 2016
CFCman:
Something has to be done about the incessant killings of non-threatening civilians by police officers. It's honestly getting out of hand
It's just madness when we have cops who are easily threatened by persons of color.Is it some sort of special privilege for cops these days cause I still can't wrap my head around the shooting of those two men.It's sad and devastating that persons of color have to question their own Liberty when approached by cops.

We need a new course of action and a comprehensive police reforms.

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 3:47pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

Please answer the question. Why are democrat cities filled with racial tensions? 3 Dallas cops were killed tonite in another democrat city.

What is going on? We need answers.

Am speechless!!!!!!!!!

So this is now a Democrat thing,heaven knows I have no words for you shocked
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
happney65:

That was then..It should not be allowed anymore..I mean,Which country allows the Sale of Military Grade Guns on its street apart from America?
Common,Guns like that should not be in the arms of people at all..They are Guns meant for war and should be.Also there should be common sense gun laws..You should not be able to work into a store and buy military grade equipment without a comprehensive background check.

Also,If you think because this was started by the Founding fathers and the status quo should remain,then also,the status quo shoulf remain for immigration..Isnt it?People should be able to enter America at will..Isnt it?

So if you dont support people coming into america at will as it was done in 1880,then we should also a common sense gun reform..That is not too much to ask for..

If you actually live in the US you will know that military grade weapons are not legal and you cant buy them and they have been banned since the late 40s.

You cant buy a gun anywhere without a background check in the US no matter what you are told. If you think it is not true. Go to any gun show or gun store and record yourself buying a gun without a background check and post it here. The constituon is clear that the right cannot be infringed upon meaning it doesnt have any expiring date.

How did we jump from guns to immigration? There is no specific law that dealt with immigration in the founding document so it is actually not my concern. US immigration policies changes over time and current realities can shift the position back and forth. I am all for freedom of movement as long as the people migrating in are contributing to the society. That is a good thing.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2016
ValerianSteel:
Am speechless!!!!!!!!!

Oh really? So you dont like it when someone is using your playbook against you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

If you actually live in the US you will know that military grade weapons are not legal and you cant buy them and they have been banned since the late 40s.

You cant buy a gun anywhere without a background check in the US no matter what you are told. If you think it is not true. Go to any gun show or gun store and record yourself buying a gun without a background check and post it here. The constituon is clear that the right cannot be infringed upon meaning it doesnt have any expiring date.

How did we jump from guns to immigration? There is no specific law that dealt with immigration in the founding document so it is actually not my concern. US immigration policies changes over time and current realities can shift the position back and forth. I am all for freedom of movement as long as the people migrating in are contributing to the society. That is a good thing.

So what you are saying is that America already has Gun Control Laws? undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2016
Okijajuju1:

So what you are saying is that America already has Gun Control Laws? undecided undecided undecided

You are talking about a sale between two private individuals. The post i responded to was about people buying guns at stores without going thru a back ground check and if it is possible to buy a military automatic rifle.

Two different things.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by happney65: 4:16pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

Missy,I am not in the US..But years back,I placed an order online and brought a Gun online..I have forgotten the type of gun i bought,but yes,I bought one to be shipped to a friend's house..The only thing that was written on it was "Ädult Signature" required thats all..I bought a gun,without nobody asking questions of what and what i needed to do with it..Note--I can remember now that is isnt a Pistol..But a good gun

Things change,I believe that so called Law that have killed more Americans should be looked into..This is no longer 1888,but 2016..It is not a crime if you want to make your country more safer because of senseless killings that happen due to accessibility of Guns..

This is Commonsense and nothing else..

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:20pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

You are talking about a sale between two private individuals. The post i responded to was about people buying guns at stores without going thru a back ground check and if it is possible to buy a military automatic rifle.

Two different things.

O right .

No you can't buy Military grade Assault weapons in the U.S. You can't purchase any Full Automatic weapon either. All Military look alike weapons being sold to civilians are modified. For example, an AK-47 sold in Gun shops in America will never have the full auto switch.

Also Background Checks are compulsory for all Gun Sales in shops.

You are correct.

Stay cool.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
happney65:

Missy,I am not in the US..But years back,I placed an order online and brought a Gun online..I have forgotten the type of gun i bought,but yes,I bought one to be shipped to a friend's house..The only thing that was written on it was "Ädult Signature" required thats all..I bought a gun,without nobody asking questions of what and what i needed to do with it..Note--I can remember now that is isnt a Pistol..But a good gun

Things change,I believe that so called Law that have killed more Americans should be looked into..This is no longer 1888,but 2016..It is not a crime if you want to make your country more safer because of senseless killings that happen due to accessibility of Guns..

This is Commonsense and nothing else..

How can someone buy a gun and forgot the type of gun you paid form smells fishy but okay.

Lets say we pass a law to ban guns, what type of guns do you think should be banned?
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 4:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
ValerianSteel:
Am speechless!!!!!!!!!

That soulless lady is just whacked. Water is running through her veins not blood. She would never criticize the errant officers but she would quickly attack Obama. I really doubt her authenticity since she won't sho her face. At least you and I are not hiding our faces.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2016
Lucasbalo:
That soulless lady is just whacked. Water is running through her veins not blood. She would never criticize the errant officers but she would quickly attack Obama. I really doubt her authenticity since she won't sho her face. At least you and I are not hiding our faces.

Mr Lucas, where is your FBI stats?
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by happney65: 4:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

How can someone buy a gun and forgot the type of gub you paid form smells fishy but okay.

Lets say we pass a law to ban guns, what type of guns do you think should be banned?

That was about 4 or 5years ago..I was just playing around online and i made the purchase..It wasnt recently..And yes,Automatic rifles or higher grade guns should be banned..Nobody needs them in 2016 except you got something fishy going on..Thats it..

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 4:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
ValerianSteel:
It's just madness when we have cops who are easily threatened by persons of color.Is it some sort of special privilege for cops these days cause I still can't wrap my head around the shooting of those two men.It's sad and devastating that persons of color have to question their own Liberty when approached by cops.

We need a new course of action and a comprehensive police reforms.
You are spot on. This is happening because the police departments in US are being infiltrated by White Nationalists and Racists. They carry badges and guns and terorise minorities. Simple as that. Those two guys do not deserve death penalty. When did officers because Jury. judge, and executioner ?. Some Brainstem will come and defend their actions covertly and blame Obama and Democrats.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

Dodging a very simple question,lol
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2016
happney65:

That was about 4 or 5years ago..I was just playing around online and i made the purchase..It wasnt recently..And yes,Automatic rifles or higher grade guns should be banned..Nobody needs them in 2016 except you got something fishy going on..Thats it..

Why not hand guns? They kill more people in America every year than those weapons.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 4:32pm On Jul 08, 2016
happney65:

I agree with you. I am a licensed firearms owner in Chicago. Own a Glock and Smith and Wesson. You are absolutely correct in your assertions.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:35pm On Jul 08, 2016
Dudeweedlmao:

Dodging a very simple question,lol

Sorry but unintelligent questions dont get to be answered. You believe the second amendment was included in the bills of right because the people that propsed it were insane. That is why you said which sane country will allow guns

Turns out you have not read the constitution or understand the the point of the amendment. You dont know anything about the topic you are talking about. I will advise you to move over.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 4:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 08, 2016
Missy89:

Sorry but unintelligent questions dont get to be answered. You believe the second amendment was included in the bills of right because the people that propsed it were insane. That is why you said which sane country will allow guns

Turns out you have not read the constitution or understand the the point of the amendment. You dont know anything about the topic you are talking about. I will advise you to move over.

High powered guns. Turns out you only like cherry picking.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:40pm On Jul 08, 2016
Dudeweedlmao:

High powered guns. Turns out you only like cherry picking.

What is your defination of a high powered gun? And can you name one
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by happney65: 4:48pm On Jul 08, 2016
Lucasbalo:
I agree with you. I am a licensed firearms owner in Chicago. Own a Glock and Smith and Wesson. You are absolutely correct in your assertions.

Exactly my broda..

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by BlackBaron: 5:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
Lucasbalo:
You are correct to certain extent in your post. The difference between Blacks on Blacks crime and White police officers killing Blacks is that the officers are sworn to serve and protect. People vigorously condemn Blacks killing each other. I live in Chicago land and Chicago is notorious for gang killings . So I disagree that people dont condemn the killings of Blacks by Blacks. We have black love and other anti violence measures in Chicago and other cities in US. That doesn't bring ratings to the TV stations and that's why they don't cover the events. Yes all lifes matters. If those two guys were Whites, I bet you a dollar to doughnuts, they would be alive today.
All well and true about the possibility of two equivalent white guys not getting killed. I very much agreed from the onset, America has a race problem, gun problem and an issue of police brutality.
Those factors alone exacerbates the current situation.

Whilst not denying the issues of addressing black on black crime. I'm still implying very little is done or spoken of versus a similar trend when it comes to violence on Blacks from police.

Celebrities for example seldom champion the narrative in their communities. Beyoncé,Chris Brown, and so haven't so much gone beyond shouting out only when a non white kills a black person.

A vocal movement, influential people and so... That's the kind of outreach also needed in black communities to reduce such issues.

A law enforcement officer enforces the law. In the case of America, due to their society most often it relies on being able to carry arms to all and every call out. It also means that the boundaries becomes blurred in the use of firearms to control situations.
Disproportionate response to incidences means a possibility of discharge.
Couple that with racism, it becomes an avenue for a non black officer to feel he's within the law to shoot and kill which is despicable.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 6:36pm On Jul 08, 2016
Donald J. Trump

Last night’s horrific execution-style shootings of 12 Dallas law enforcement officers – five of whom were killed and seven wounded- is an attack on our country. It is a coordinated, premeditated assault on the men and women who keep us safe.

We must restore law and order. We must restore the confidence of our people to be safe and secure in their homes and on the street.

The senseless, tragic deaths of two people in Louisiana and Minnesota reminds us how much more needs to be done.

This morning I offer my thoughts and prayers for all of the victims’ families, and we pray for our brave police officers and first responders who risk their lives to protect us every single day.

Our nation has become too divided. Too many Americans feel like they’ve lost hope. Crime is harming too many citizens. Racial tensions have gotten worse, not better. This isn’t the American Dream we all want for our children.

This is a time, perhaps more than ever, for strong leadership, love and compassion. We will pull through these tragedies.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
Okijajuju1:

It's amazing that one keeps meeting us based Nigerians that keep toeing the NRA line, in spite of all the carnage wrought by the US obsession with firearms.

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 7:00pm On Jul 08, 2016
Its been reported that out of 990 people shot by Officers in America in 2015 26% were blacks.
So that means 74% of those shot were not!
It's dangerous to state this is Black versus White!
It's an excuse for radicals on both sides to escalate a race war!
This might be happening in America but it's just as relevant in Britain.
We must not allow a minority of sick twisted bad people on both sides divide us!
Take away the Police from our societies and there would be anarchy!
You can never stop Violence with more violence!

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2016
BlackBaron:

All well and true about the possibility of two equivalent white guys not getting killed. I very much agreed from the onset, America has a race problem, gun problem and an issue of police brutality.
Those factors alone exacerbates the current situation.

Whilst not denying the issues of addressing black on black crime. I'm still implying very little is done or spoken of versus a similar trend when it comes to violence on Blacks from police.

Celebrities for example seldom champion the narrative in their communities. Beyoncé,Chris Brown, and so haven't so much gone beyond shouting out only when a non white kills a black person.

A vocal movement, influential people and so... That's the kind of outreach also needed in black communities to reduce such issues.

A law enforcement officer enforces the law. In the case of America, due to their society most often it relies on being able to carry arms to all and every call out. It also means that the boundaries becomes blurred in the use of firearms to control situations.
Disproportionate response to incidences means a possibility of discharge.
Couple that with racism, it becomes an avenue for a non black officer to feel he's within the law to shoot and kill which is despicable.

Agreed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (539)

Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc / American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.