Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,795 members, 7,831,577 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Why Are You Theistic, Atheistic Or Agnostic? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You Theistic, Atheistic Or Agnostic? (3110 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Why Are You Theistic, Atheistic Or Agnostic? by nukown(m): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2009
Re: Why Are You Theistic, Atheistic Or Agnostic?
« #29 on: December 14, 2008, 09:41 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Chrisbenogor on December 14, 2008, 09:38 PM
@busybein
Why don't you tell us why you believe in God, what do you think of atheists, agnostics?

because he saved me alot of times,but one day,even when doctors lost hope,he was always there for me,even when my family lost hope he was stil there for
me,waiting for me to call upon him,and i did,that was d very first day i had an encounter with him,and that was d day i started getting my life back

hi mazaje

i read ur post but what made me to reply is this post by busybein . . . s/he gave her/him testimony of her/him personal experience of y s/he believe in God and u went ahead to say y is others not experiencing it. well if u could, u could have asked them y? but i feel s/he has given her/him personal account and i feel its ok.
Re: Why Are You Theistic, Atheistic Or Agnostic? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2009
In the dear old religious days the earth was flat -- a little dishing, if anything -- and just above it was Jehovah's house, and just below it was where the Devil lived. God and his angels inhabited the third story, the Devil and his imps the basement, and the human race the second floor.

Then they knew where heaven was. They could almost hear the harps and hallelujahs. They knew where hell was, and they could almost hear the groans and smell the sulphurous fumes. They regarded the volcanoes as chimneys. They were perfectly acquainted with the celestial, the terrestrial and the infernal. They were quite familiar with the New Jerusalem, with its golden streets and gates of pearl. Then the translation of Enoch seemed reasonable enough, and no one doubted that before the flood the sons of God came down and made love to the daughters of men. The theologians thought that the builders of Babel would have succeeded if God had not come down and caused them to forget the meaning of words.

In those blessed days the priests knew all about heaven and hell. They knew that God governed the world by hope and fear, by promise and threat, by reward and punishment. The reward was to be eternal and so was the punishment. It was not God's plan to develop the human brain, so that man would perceive and comprehend the right and avoid the wrong. He taught ignorance, nothing but obedience, and for obedience he offered eternal joy. He loved the submissive -- the kneelers and crawlers. He hated the doubters, the investigators, the thinkers, the philosophers. For them he created the eternal prison where he could feed forever the hunger of his hate. He loved the credulous -- those who believed without evidence -- and for them he prepared a home in the realm of fadeless light. He delighted in the company of the questionless.

But where is this heaven, and where is this hell? We now know that heaven is not just above the clouds and that hell is not just below the earth. The telescope has done away with the ancient heaven, and the revolving world has quenched the flames of the ancient hell. These theological countries, these imagined worlds, have disappeared. No one knows, and no one pretends to know, where heaven is; and no one knows, and no one pretends to know, the locality of hell. Now the theologians say that hell and heaven are not places, but states of mind-conditions.

The belief in gods and devils has been substantially universal. Back of the good, man placed a god; back of the evil, a devil; back of health, sunshine and harvest was a good deity; back of disease, misfortune and death he placed a malicious fiend.

Is there any evidence that gods and devils exist? The evidence of the existence of a god and of a devil is substantially the same. Both of these deities are inferences; each one is a perhaps. They have not been seen -- they are invisible -- and they have not ventured within the horizon of the senses. The old lady who said there must be a devil, else how could they make pictures that looked exactly like him, reasoned like a trained theologian -- like a doctor of divinity.

Robert Ingersoll -- Superstition

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

One Of The Best Evidences That GOD Exist / Christian Books Collections Free Downloads!!! / The 10 Commandments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.