Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads (2638 Views)

SSS Dismisses Jonathan’s CSO, Gordon Obua / Presidency Slams APC Over ‘malicious’ Claim Of Planned Handover To The Military / ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2014
Africa Check, a non-partisan organization which
promotes accuracy in public debate and the
media, has debunked a recent assertion by
President Goodluck Jonathan that under his watch,
most of Nigeria’s roads have become “motorable,” saying the claim lacks evidence. “When I assumed office in 2010, out of the
35,000km of federal roads nationwide, only about
5,000km were motorable, Jonathan said as he
formally declared on 11 November that he would
seek another term of office. “Today, that number
has increased to about 25,000km.”
Using information from various sources, including
Budgit, a Lagos-based start-up which tracks
government spending, Africa Check said that there
is some evidence of success in revamping road
infrastructure, particularly in the Abuja area, the
claim is an overkill in terms of the amount and
quality of the work undertaken.
“While there have been some road improvements
(particularly in advance of elections, as the
government seeks to win votes), there is no
exhaustive proof to corroborate the president’s
assertion,” Africa Check said. “It would appear
that the claims are exaggerated.”
A key part of the enquiry is the atrocious quality of
most of the roads even when they are broadcast as
completed or revamped, and the government
appears headed for a cul-de-sac trying to explain to
voters how many death-traps can be called
motorable roads.
It would also be recalled that last week, various
observers pointed out that some of the claims of
achievement or “transformation” being claimed by
the federal government to boost President
Jonathan’s electoral chances are actually state
projects. Critics point out that Mr. Jonathan has
barely addressed any of the promises he made in the 2011 electoral campaign.

www.saharareporters.com/2014/12/01/africa-check-dismisses-jonathan-claim-25000-motorable-roads

1 Like

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by DonaldGenes(m): 6:12pm On Dec 01, 2014
"Shooting himself in the leg is what GEJ and his minions are doing"..why can't we be honest for crying out loud?

Apparently, ain't no lie like PDP lies like seriously, when GEJ said" "Today, the number has increased to 35-35,000" or whatever" without taking his time to go around the country to do some reality- checks for himself rather than sitting in Abuja from Jan-Dec waiting for a Minister to feed h with tales exception of Minister for Agric, he is doing well,

Minister for Power, Communication, both are also doinq well,

Minister for Finance, If i have to X-ray her performance, #below 40%

Minister for Works has totally ddisappeared,

He should be try more- iHate to sound like a broken records..

Roads here in South East are so appalling, worse comes to worst, when you have lame duck Gov like Gov of Abia, and co..

Now talking about Sahara Reporters, their way of criticizing this govt is way too searing... Is it that they can't pinpoint a single development Gej has done?

Think it's high we asked questions?

Cc this Road

1 Like

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 01, 2014
A lying administration. Propaganda and lies are their trademarks

Kick out PDP

6 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 6:18pm On Dec 01, 2014
silly Sahara reporters news paid for by APC, If you went round to check the actual km why not publish your findings,rather than this smear campaign, they should tell Nigerians how many km of roads the FG has refurbished/ built.

3 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 01, 2014

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ramonchang(m): 6:21pm On Dec 01, 2014
#in gej's voice# i dont knw hw pple behav like this oo ORDINARY UNTARRED ROAD WITH FEW POTHOLES THEY LL SAY IT IS UN MOTORABLE

1 Like

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 6:22pm On Dec 01, 2014
If it is not 2500km, Then how many km is it? I suspect some APC reporter sitting in this village to formulate this lie. They did not assess anything. If they did they will report their findings rather than publish this trash.

5 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 01, 2014
^^ had it been you live in lagos, you'd know the kind of pains lagosians face in the hands of these federal roads especially apapa roads. If you don't want sahara reporters to keep reporting the ills in this administration, then it's best you alert the presidency to get itself treated and on the right track.

3 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
He should fix the road that will take him back to otuoke in 2015

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
Africa Check and Sahara reporter. Infact I cat wait for February 2015 to come so that all these noises will die down a bit.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 6:27pm On Dec 01, 2014
baLLoTBOxX:
^^ had it been you live in lagos, you'd know the kind of pains lagosians face in the hands of these federal roads especially apapa roads. If you don't want sahara reporters to keep reporting the ills in this administration, then it's best you alert the presidency to get itself treated and on the right track.

What has the lagos state government done to improve the roads in the state? Lagos state govt. is quick to collect taxes/fines from motorist plying the so called "Federal roads" how much of that taxes/fines has been ploughed back into the maintainance of those roads? Tankers drivers and flatbed trucks drivers moving goods from lagos ports pay N17,000 per trip to the lagos state govt as dues what is LASG doing with that money?

4 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 6:29pm On Dec 01, 2014
Obiagelli:
He should fix the road that will take him back to otuoke in 2015

And you my dear should be ready for a big disappointment, in the few days. because GEJ is going nowhere, he will be sworn in for a second term 2015. put this in your calendar.

3 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2014
ujoinme:

And you my dear should be ready for a big disappointment, in the few days. because GEJ is going nowhere, he will be sworn in for a second term 2015. put this in your calendar.
I can't wait.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by atlwireles: 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2014
Tolu Ogunlesi is a paid APC hack. No need pretending to be a fact checker. After he failed with NEXT, Africa check is now his new gig.

Are the majority of Nigeria’s roads now ‘motorable’?

Nigeria’s president has claimed that “motorable” roads have increased five-fold since 2010. There is little evidence to support his claim.

Researched by Tolu Ogunlesi

- See more at: http://africacheck.org/reports/are-the-majority-of-nigerias-roads-now-motorable/#sthash.y2GIxGSC.dpuf

2 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by jaymichael(m): 6:37pm On Dec 01, 2014
ujoinme:

What has the lagos state government done to improve the roads in the state? Lagos state govt. is quick to collect taxes/fines from motorist plying the so called "Federal roads" how much of that taxes/fines has been ploughed back into the maintainance of those roads? Tankers drivers and flatbed trucks drivers moving goods from lagos ports pay N17,000 per trip to the lagos state govt as dues what is LASG doing with that money?
Why you dey lie like this, were you paid to lie? 17k per trip! haba fear GOD na. I am in the clearing business. Wharf landing fee which LASG collect is just 200 naira for tokunbor cars, 500 for jeep, 500 for 20ft container and 1000 naira for 40ft container. Groupage is free. where you get your figure from?

4 Likes

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Arch1: 6:41pm On Dec 01, 2014
baLLoTBOxX:
Thank you very much. I'l keep saying it, almost 90% of all the federal roads in the southwest nay the entire country are in very terrible conditions.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2014
jaymichael:
Why you dey lie like this, were you paid to lie? 17k per trip! haba fear GOD na. I am in the clearing business. Wharf landing fee which LASG collect is just 200 naira for tokunbor cars, 500 for jeep, 500 for 20ft container and 1000 naira for 40ft container. Groupage is free. where you get your figure from?
How much fees are loaded trucks required to pay to LASG? Am about to upload recipts if you lie?
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by jaymichael(m): 6:56pm On Dec 01, 2014
ujoinme:

How much fees are loaded trucks required to pay to LASG? Am about to upload recipts if you lie?
THAT IS THE PRICES I QUOTED EARLIER. 20ft 500 naira. 40ft 1k. The receipt is in form of a small sticker. Ask any other clearing agent you know
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 7:00pm On Dec 01, 2014
jaymichael:
THAT IS THE PRICES I QUOTED EARLIER. 20ft 500 naira. 40ft 1k. The receipt is in form of a small sticker. Ask any other clearing agent you know
Am not talking about port charges am talking about what the truck drivers themselves pay to the LASG to ply the roads. has nothing to do with clearing charges.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by uzeba(m): 7:02pm On Dec 01, 2014
You peopl here don't even know federal roads and state roads.dont mistake state bad road to federal roads
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by jaymichael(m): 7:13pm On Dec 01, 2014
ujoinme:
Am not talking about port charges am talking about what the truck drivers themselves pay to the LASG to ply the roads. has nothing to do with clearing charges.
Wharf landing is not a port charge as it is only the federal Government through its agencies that can levy such. wharf landing is the fee paid by loaded trucks from the port PER TRIP to use the road. Flatbed and empty trucks including container trucks dont pay a kobo, I REPEAT a kobo to the LASG to enter the port . You may be referring to other periodical (usually yearly) license fee or permit like hackney etc etc but official payment per trip which is receipted, is what I quoted earlier and I challenge you to give me a counter, verifiable figure.

1 Like

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by orimsamsam(m): 7:13pm On Dec 01, 2014
Infact. Jonathan is a celebrated failure

1 Like

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 7:22pm On Dec 01, 2014
jaymichael:
Wharf landing is not a port charge as it is only the federal Government through its agencies that can levy such. wharf landing is the fee paid by loaded trucks from the port PER TRIP to use the road. Flatbed and empty trucks including container trucks dont pay a kobo, I REPEAT a kobo to the LASG to enter the port . You may be referring to other periodical (usually yearly) license fee or permit like hackney etc etc but official payment per trip which is receipted, is what I quoted earlier and I challenge you to give me a counter, verifiable figure.
Its obvious you dont know what you are talking about, when next you see a flatbed driver ask him what fees pays per trip to LASG.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by 2cato: 7:31pm On Dec 01, 2014
orimsamsam:
Infact. Jonathan is a celebrated failure
my problem with APC cyber id.ots is that they can not diffrentiate btw a federal road from a state road and local govt road. Apart from the apapa oshodi road that is under repair mention another fed in lagos that are in bad shape.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by jamace(m): 7:37pm On Dec 01, 2014
baLLoTBOxX:
You showed us Lagos roads only. Let me put it to you that flooding of roads cause damages to roads. The roads are damaged because Lagos state govt faileed to clear drainages to allow free flow of rain water off the roads. Is Lagos State waiting for the federal govt to come and clear drainages too?. What is Fashola doing in that Lagos sef? You people better tell Fashola to wake up to his responsibilities.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by jaymichael(m): 7:38pm On Dec 01, 2014
ujoinme:

Its obvious you dont know what you are talking about, when next you see a flatbed driver ask him what fees pays per trip to LASG.
If you were paid to lie, were you also paid to be ignorant? I am a clearing agent and I deal with drivers all the time. Tell us which LASG AGENCY collects 17k from container and flatbeds to load from and into the port?

CONTAINER DRIVERS, PLEASE COME OUT ON THIS THREAD TO CONFIRM HOW MUCH YOU PAY PER TRIP AS WHARF LANDING POPULARLY CALLED
"OWO FASHOLA"

1 Like

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by 2cato: 7:39pm On Dec 01, 2014
Arch1:
Thank you very much. I'l keep saying it, almost 90% of all the federal roads in the southwest nay the entire country are in very terrible conditions.
i kown most of you APC cyber witch can not diffrentiate btw a federal road from a state and local govt road. To you people all the roads even the ones in ur street, lanes and avenue belongs to fed govt.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 01, 2014
2cato:
my problem with APC cyber id.ots is that they can not diffrentiate btw a federal road from a state road and local govt road. Apart from the apapa oshodi road that is under repair mention another fed in lagos that are in bad shape.
can you pls keep shut with the lies? Which oshodi-apapa road is under construction?
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2014
jamace:
You showed us Lagos roads only. Let me put it to you that flooding of roads cause damages to roads. The roads are damaged because Lagos state govt faileed to clear drainages to allow free flow of rain water off the roads. Is Lagos State waiting for the federal govt to come and clear drainages too?. What is Fashola doing in that Lagos sef? You people better tell Fashola to wake up to his responsibilities.
stop being unenlightened. Do expressways have drainages? Take a cue from the pictures you posted. The flooding of the roads is as a result of too many pot-holes. When was the last time a federal road got rehabilitated since they were constructed in God knows when?
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2014
baLLoTBOxX:
stop being unenlightened. Do expressways have drainages? The flooding of the roads is as a result of too many pot-holes. When was the last time a federal road got rehabilitated since they were constructed in God knows when?

Stop lying about the FG, Abi LAgos no get government? what is LASG doing about roads in the state?

1 Like

Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2014
ujoinme:

Stop lying about the FG, Abi LAgos no get government? what is LASG doing about roads in the state?
go and. Check out the massive construction going on in the badagry expressway by fashola- that road will have trains on both sides. LASG can't wait for FG to hand over all the federal roads to them. Btw, you failed to answer my question, mr TANdroid.
Re: ‘africa Check’ Dismisses Jonathan Claim Of 25,000 Motorable Roads by ujoinme: 8:11pm On Dec 01, 2014
baLLoTBOxX:
go and. Check out the massive construction going on in the badagry expressway by fashola- that road will have trains on both sides. LASG can't wait for FG to hand over all the federal roads to them. Btw, you failed to answer my question, mr TANdroid.
Nonsense, If the LASG is doing all thatyou claim, then why are you complaining of bad roads in Lagos?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prof. Yemi Osinbajo Has A New Hair Cut (pics)0 / Na’aba Dumps PDP, Says PDP Has Become Characterized By Corruption, Impunity / Is This Tinubu Behind MKO And Sani Abacha? (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.