Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase (2586 Views)

Nationwide Electricity Peaks At 4500MW As Brazilian Firm Builds 700mw Plant / FG, Brazil Sign Mou On N144bn 700MW Power Plant / Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by Wale112(m): 1:31pm On Dec 04, 2014
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has given
Ghana the green light to produce power from nuclear
energy.
This comes almost five decades after the country opened
negotiations with the international body on the matter.
The Chief Director of the Ministry of Energy and Petroleum
(MoEP), Professor Thomas Akabsaa, told the GRAPHIC
BUSINESS in Accra that the agency, which is a global
intergovernmental body promoting peaceful use of nuclear
energy, approved the request earlier this year.
"We also got their permission to establish a Nuclear Energy
Planning and Implementation Organisation (NEPIO) and we
have gotten that done. The organisation is at the GAEC and
the ministry is coordinating its activities," Prof. Akabsaa
said on November 26.
The Nuclear Regulatory Power Bill, which will give legal
backing to the implementation of the national nuclear
energy plan, has also been approved by Cabinet and is now
with Parliament for final approval, the Chief Director added.
He explained that in the first phase of the programme, the
ministry would aim at producing 700 megawatts (MW) of
electricity from nuclear energy before increasing it to
1,000MW in subsequent years.
The 700MW will complement the country's two main energy
sources - hydro and thermal - which together give the
nation an installed capacity of 1,960MW.
Although interest in nuclear power is picking up, the chief
director emphasised that the country's first electricity from
nuclear energy should not be expected soon but in the next
three to five years, since the processes leading to real
production are cumbersome.
A successful generation of energy from nuclear will make
Ghana the second country in Africa to South Africa to
generate energy from that source.
It will also put the country in a pedestal similar to the likes
of China, Bulgaria, Japan, Britain and Saudi Arabia, which
have various nuclear plants producing power for their
industrial, commercial and household uses.
Ghana’s first attempt at getting international approval to
generate power from nuclear energy started in the 1960s
but was later shelved following the overthrow of the
government of Dr Kwame Nkrumah, who masterminded, in

The move was, however, renewed in 2006 when Cabinet
adopted a proposal for Ghana to go nuclear, which
consequently led to the resumption of negotiations between
the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission (GAEC) and the
Ministry of Energy and Petroleum (MoEP) on one side and
the IAEA on the other ßto seek approval and guidance on
the country's nuclear energy plan.
IFEJ budget advocacy forum
The Chief Director of MoEP spoke to the paper on the
sidelines of a four-day advocacy forum on the 2015 budget
in Accra. The forum was organised by the Institute of
Financial and Economic Journalists (IFEJ) and the Ministry
of Finance. This year's forum brought together specific
sector ministers, heads of state institutions and experts in
various areas of the economy to dissect key policy
proposals in the budget, which was presented on November
Siting of nuclear plant
The approval of the country's nuclear energy programme
and the subsequent establishment of the NEPIO means that
the stage has been set for officials from the GAEC and the
MoEP to commence feasibility studies into the
establishment of a nuclear reactor and plant, which will
convert energy released from the nucleus of an atom
through nuclear fissions into nuclear power.
The location of the plant is key, given that its damage is
costly and also has catastrophic effects on the country.
The Chief Director of the Energy Ministry explained that a
committee in charge of siting the nuclear plant had chosen
three places nationwide, out of which one preferable area
will be selected to host the plant.
"Obviously, the places are all outside populated areas but
closer to water, and those contending sites are going to be
analysed cost-wise to arrive at the best one," Prof. Akabsaa
said, declining to mention the exact locations of the places
for security reasons.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by Wale112(m): 10:45am On Dec 20, 2014
Overhypedsteve
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by overhypedsteve(m): 10:49am On Dec 20, 2014
Wale112:
Overhypedsteve
lol. All na just talk. Shey you know how many times Nigeria, aouth Africa and even Kenya dun sign MOU on nuclear power. But Ghana dey pathetic oh. 700mw for all the risk of a nuclear power plant?
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by PetroDolla3: 3:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
[s]
overhypedsteve:
lol. All na just talk. Shey you know how many times Nigeria, aouth Africa and even Kenya dun sign MOU on nuclear power. But Ghana dey pathetic oh. 700mw for all the risk of a nuclear power plant?
[/s] rubbish talk. Ghana is pathetic? I wonder how you will describe that sh1thole zoo where nothing works! sh1nigeria fuckduppedness
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by overhypedsteve(m): 3:37pm On Dec 20, 2014
PetroDolla3:
[s][/s] rubbish talk. Ghana is pathetic? I wonder how you will describe that sh1thole zoo where nothing works! sh1nigeria fuckduppedness
hmm. Petrodolla shey u nor dey smoke igbo for this one wen you dey so?
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by EVarn(m): 3:41pm On Dec 20, 2014
hmm..nuclear power?,i doubt that the IAEA will give it an approval.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by PetroDolla3: 3:42pm On Dec 20, 2014
overhypedsteve:
hmm. Petrodolla shey u nor dey smoke igbo for this one wen you dey so?
na ya papa, your mama take join ya modafaka azz dey smoke pawpaw leaves+ cow sh1t! oloshit
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by PetroDolla3: 3:44pm On Dec 20, 2014
EVarn:
hmm..nuclear power?,i doubt that the IAEA will give it an approval.
did you read the article? it said IAEA had already granted approval. Ghana has had an active nuclear programme since 1958. The country's forward thinking leader Kwame Nkrumah established the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission since 1958
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 20, 2014
Good work Ghana but where naija dey now? dem still dey find company wey wan privatise the company wey privatize the company wey privatize phcn. set of dumb govt.

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 6:07pm On Dec 20, 2014
diluminati:
Good work Ghana but where naija dey now? dem still dey find company wey wan privatise the company wey privatize the company wey privatize phcn. set of dumb govt.
was glad to hear the news. You know ghana has been on this nuclear program for over 40 years .. Nkrumah had sent ghanaian scientist to train in the soviet union and germany.. If not for his over throw and the successive governments abandoning some of his visions .. Ghana would have gone far in technological advancement . Well its good that they have finally been giving the go ahead.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 6:23pm On Dec 20, 2014
PetroDolla3:
did you read the article? it said IAEA had already granted approval. Ghana has had an active nuclear programme since 1958. The country's forward thinking leader Kwame Nkrumah established the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission since 1958
I have some of his visions for ghana and africa. In pdf and written form.. All I can say is wow!!
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by CSTR: 6:48pm On Dec 20, 2014
A mere 700MW?
Gullible nation governed by idiotts.
I doubt such project would see the light of day.
Nigeria already had IAEA approval since the OBJ govt.
I just hope they don't finally get to build the damn thing one day.
I don't want anything nuclear around me.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by major466(m): 6:53pm On Dec 20, 2014
Bad. This is bad. I do not support the idea of an African country going Nuclear even for peaceful purposes. This is dangerous.
Ghana should forget about it and venture into power generation through gas instead.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 7:06pm On Dec 20, 2014
CSTR:
A mere 700MW?
hi hater! Your opinion does not count. If you even die in your country today the impact won't be felt

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 7:11pm On Dec 20, 2014
major466:
Bad. This is bad. I do not support the idea of an African country going Nuclear even for peaceful purposes. This is dangerous.
[b]Ghana should forget about it and venture into power generation through gas instead[b].
venture into gas What has ghana been using the gas from the wagp for There is nothing without risk. Even the planes you enter today were once a death trap that majority of the planes used by the british in world war 1 crashed before take off.. Am sure if it were a black man.. He would have discarded the idea of making of making planes. Same goes to every other field.. Ghana is not a new comer in the nuclear industry as there has been a nuclear Rector in the country right from the 60s.. The stake holders know the risk involved as well as the governing body.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by CSTR: 7:14pm On Dec 20, 2014
iamord:
hi hater! Your opinion does not count. If you even die in your country today the impact won't be felt
hater?
Are you kidding me?
Goodluck with your nuclear plant.
You will need it.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by major466(m): 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2014
iamord:
venture into gas What has ghana been using the gas from the wagp for There is nothing without risk. Even the planes you enter today were once a death trap that majority of the planes used by the british in world war 1 crashed before take off.. Am sure if it were a black man.. He would have discarded the idea of making of making planes. Same goes to every other field.. Ghana is not a new comer in the nuclear industry as there has been a nuclear Rector in the country right from the 60s.. The stake holders know the risk involved as well as the governing body.
My major concern here is security. With the rise of terrorism in West and East Africa, venturing into Nuclear power will be a high risk project that could jeopardize security on the entire continent.
The biggest security challenge faced by Pakistan today is not really the fight against Taliban, but making sure Taliban fighters never, in anyway have access to nuclear materials. Can you imagine what will happen if terrorist lay their filthy hands on nuclear materials? It will be a major disaster.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by CSTR: 7:21pm On Dec 20, 2014
Btw, Nigeria should make it abundantly clear to any west and central african country planning to build a nuclear plant that any potential sabotage of such plants by terrorists would be taken as a declaration of war and may trigger an invasion by ECOMOG forces.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 7:24pm On Dec 20, 2014
CSTR:
hater?
Are you kidding me?
Goodluck with your nuclear plant.
You will need it.
as u can see they are already working on it
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 7:26pm On Dec 20, 2014
major466:

My major concern here is security. With the rise of terrorism in West and East Africa, venturing into Nuclear power will be a high risk project that could jeopardize security on the entire continent.
The biggest security challenge faced by Pakistan today is not really the fight against Taliban, but making sure Taliban fighters never, in anyway have access to nuclear materials. Can you imagine what will happen if terrorist lay their filthy hands on nuclear materials? It will be a major disaster.
you have a strong point here. Of which am sure that the stake holders are also concerned with those factors . Its a very unstable region.. However the process is not immediate so we will watch as it unfolds.. But I know that the ghana army will stand to protect the facility the best way they came.. It call for serious planning
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by CSTR: 7:30pm On Dec 20, 2014
iamord:
as u can see they are already working on it
lol.
delusion is strong.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by EVarn(m): 8:16pm On Dec 20, 2014
PetroDolla3:
the reward is miniscule compared to the risk that will be taken{700MW isnt worth genocide}....i wouldnt advice ghana to establish nuclear power reactors yet,it is advisable not to get ahead of one's self when it comes to national development....nuclear power is highly unstable and volatile,anything ranging from a full scale tornado to a wrongly-placed candle stick can spell doom for ghana and its immediate neighbours,not to talk of deteriorating security on the african continent.national security and sovereignity also comes to play;an invading force could decide to save itself the hassle,and just drop a missile or two into your nuclear facilities....and POOF!....ghana would be sunk into the atlantic!.nuclear power requires caution
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 8:19pm On Dec 20, 2014
EVarn:
the reward is miniscule compared to the risk that will be taken..i wouldnt advice ghana to establish nuclear power reactors yet,it is better not to get ahead of one's self when it comes to develepment....nuclear power is high unstable and volatile,anything ranging from a full scale tornado to a match-stick could spell doom for ghana and its immediate neighbours.
ghana has had a nuclear reactor

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by EVarn(m): 8:30pm On Dec 20, 2014
iamord:
ghana has had a nuclear reactor
*raises eyebrow*,have you now?
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 8:49pm On Dec 20, 2014
EVarn:
*raises eyebrow*,have you now?
lol.. I keep saying it that a lot of nigerians have misconceptions about ghana . Ghana has had radio-isotopes experiments conducted in university of ghana as far back as 1950 and had a nuclear reactor since 1964 known as Kwabenya Nuclear Reactor. which has been functioning till date and in an isolated area.. The country has scientist that have been trained in that field . The overthrow of kwame nkrumah is what thwarted the efforts of ghana going nuclear as far back as 1960s.. And also the fact that the akosombo hydro electric dam potential was so great that there was little need for nuclear energy as a source of electricity

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by naso2(m): 10:03pm On Dec 20, 2014
the electricity situation in Ghana is very pathetic at the moment, talking from experience.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by PetroDolla3: 4:58am On Dec 21, 2014
Ghana has made a conscious decision to proceed with a nuclear powered-electricity project and I think you Nigerians should respect the right of Ghana to make that decision. We don't tell you Nigerians how to run your affairs. or do we?

Now, my understanding is that the 700MW is just the first phase of what is obviously a much bigger project, producing thousands of megawatts of electricity for Ghana. Or isn't that what the story says.

There are hundreds of nuclear plants all over the world producing electricity at the moment without any problem. the fact that there were security and safety issues with a few of them is no basis for a sweeping and generalized comment about nuclear-powered plants. Again, looking at the dire state of electricity generation in Africa and west Africa I particular, every single megawatt of additional generation should be seen as a great achievement.

For years, countries in West Africa have endured wilful flaring of gas from your niger delta. or you think the gas flared in your niger delta does not affect he rest of africa? so there is nothing wrong if the rest of Africa, particularly Nigeria, also suffers from the effect of whatever nuclear power is to be generated in Ghana. But I can assure you we Ghanaians have a good maintenance culture and we will operate the facility with due diligence.

EVarn:
the reward is miniscule compared to the risk that will be taken{700MW isnt worth genocide}....i wouldnt advice ghana to establish nuclear power reactors yet,it is advisable not to get ahead of one's self when it comes to national development....nuclear power is highly unstable and volatile,anything ranging from a full scale tornado to a wrongly-placed candle stick can spell doom for ghana and its immediate neighbours,not to talk of deteriorating security on the african continent.national security and sovereignity also comes to play;an invading force could decide to save itself the hassle,and just drop a missile or two into your nuclear facilities....and POOF!....ghana would be sunk into the atlantic!.nuclear power requires caution

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by PetroDolla3: 5:10am On Dec 21, 2014
stvpid shitnigerian magg0t!! who gives a fvck what a certified MUMU thinks? you can go and drink a bucketful of soaked cement. arrant crap! did you ay a mere 700MW? how much electricity do you generate in your sh1thole for a population of 200 million MUMUs? such nonsense!

[s]
CSTR:
A mere 700MW?
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by EVarn(m): 6:57am On Dec 21, 2014
iamord:
lol.. I keep saying it that a lot of nigerians have misconceptions about ghana . Ghana has had radio-isotopes experiments conducted in university of ghana as far back as 1950 and had a nuclear reactor since 1964 known as Kwabenya Nuclear Reactor. which has been functioning till date and in an isolated area.. The country has scientist that have been trained in that field . The overthrow of kwame nkrumah is what thwarted the efforts of ghana going nuclear as far back as 1960s.. And also the fact that the akosombo hydro electric dam potential was so great that there was little need for nuclear energy as a source of electricity
it would be more believable if you provide concrete proof to back such a preposterous claims.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by iamord(m): 7:26am On Dec 21, 2014
EVarn:
it would be more believable if you provide concrete proof to back such a preposterous claims.
which kind rubbish talk be this?? Preposterous!! I need not waste a muscle to tell u further than this
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by CSTR: 8:24am On Dec 21, 2014
PetroDolla3:
stvpid shitnigerian magg0t!! who gives a fvck what a certified MUMU thinks? you can go and drink a bucketful of soaked cement. arrant crap! did you ay a mere 700MW? how much electricity do you generate in your sh1thole for a population of 200 million MUMUs? such nonsense!

[s][/s]
The average ghanian on this site is irredeemably stupidd.
Which is why i'm not surprised at the lack of common sense.
The risk of a NUCLEAR endangerment for a mere 700MW.
I laugh in twi.
Re: Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase by PetroDolla3: 6:28pm On Dec 22, 2014
hhahaha the MUMUs wan get heart attack because Ghana is acquiring a nuclear plant? grin grin

who gives a fvck about fooools? a certified MUMU from the Federal Republic of Foooooools grin why don't you stinking shitnigerians go jump off a cliff or go take a gas shower?

I hate smelly, shiity MUMUgerians apes. they are lower than cow shht. fvck all pig-fvcked bastardz.

stupid bastardz, scammers, spammers, 419ners. nuke them all!

[s]
CSTR:
The average ghanian on this site is irredeemably stupidd.
Which is why i'm not surprised at the lack of common sense.
The risk of a NUCLEAR endangerment for a mere 700MW.
I laugh in twi.
[/s]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Plateau Online Polls,,,,simon Lalong Vs Gns Pwajok / Foiled Terror Attack On US: Obama Writes PMB, Hails DSS / Never Again Will A Corrupt Man Become Nigeria’s President – Oba Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.