Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,796 members, 7,848,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 05:01 PM

Mtv Africa Was Not African - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Mtv Africa Was Not African (1965 Views)

Winners, 2009 MTV Africa Music Award (mamas) / Psquare Again! Discredits Mtv Africa Awards / Mtv Africa Music Awards 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtv Africa Was Not African by lipuka(m): 5:59pm On Dec 02, 2008
The MTV Africa circus is over and done with, thank God. Of course there are those who enjoyed the whole thing, and those who won must be boasting that they are the best. But are they?

MTV Africa was not made for African music. The judgment was based on what African musicians could do, aping American musicians. And they did it to the best of their abilities, but ended up being qrotesque.

I bet if the awards were for real African music, none of the musicians we saw would have made it anywhere.

Please, there is nothing wrong with African music. We shopuld stop trying beinge Americans. R and B is not African. So can we now have another awards ceremony featuring real African music?
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by RSA(m): 1:59pm On Dec 04, 2008
@ Poster I second you,look like if you can rap or try to sing like american or fake american accent you are already a winner,in hiphop truly speaking east africa should dominate,their hip hop which is mainly in swahile is original and is about local issues and the beats are off the hook(not mentioning that all east african and some southern african countries radio stations play their music) .
This was Mtv Nigeria nothing else,the only people I know who won awards was Fela KUTI,the rest are probably big only in Nigeria.
I know this is the part where Nigerians will boast about having the most talented musicians in the continent, happiest people in the world cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by debosky(m): 2:05pm On Dec 04, 2008
Interesting viewpoint - my question is what is 'African'? Why is R&B not African?

I'm not sure I agree with you that everyone was 'aping' Americans - how is someone like 9ice aping Americans?

Wasn't some of this R&B and other forms of music influenced by African slaves? What is wrong with current day Africans getting influenced by what was created, in essence, by their forefathers?

I don't believe until you sing a song and prance around in raffia skirts and beat drums with your hand that you can be considered as being 'African'.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by nedujizzy(m): 2:10pm On Dec 04, 2008
@ debosky
Interesting viewpoint - my question is what is 'African'? Why is R&B not African?

I'm not sure I agree with you that everyone was 'aping' Americans - how is someone like 9ice aping Americans?

Wasn't some of this R&B and other forms of music influenced by African slaves? What is wrong with current day Africans getting influenced by what was created, in essence, by their forefathers?

I don't believe until you sing a song and prance around in raffia skirts and beat drums with your hand that you can be considered as being 'African'.

WORD
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by nedujizzy(m): 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2008
@ RSA
I know this is the part where Nigerians will boast about having the most talented musicians in the continent, happiest people in the world

Dude, do you have issues with Nigerians?, what point are you trying to make.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by Abbygyal(f): 2:18pm On Dec 04, 2008
debosky:

exactly u hit it

@RSA
what do u mean by MTV NIGERIA, that is nt d gist just because Nigerians are imnproving doesnt mean dey are trying to sing like americans; dnt get me wrong some are but nt all. Mind u nigerian artists are nt only recognised in Nigeria but also else where which mostly depends on hw well u like deir musci and hw informed u are. Be proud of Africa in a hole nt only coz Nigeria got most of d awards. . . or u beefing dem? lol
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by RSA(m): 8:30am On Dec 05, 2008
nedujizzy:

Dude, do have issues with Nigerians?, what point are you trying to make.

Dont have issues with Nigeria,I have issue with how this whole award was done,Africa have more than 50 countries and only 5 countries had representative,and out of those five countries 80% of the nominees where from Nigerians.
All I am saying is that he winners could not be celebrated by the whole continent since they feel that they where not represented.

@Abbygyal I said Mtv Nigeria because it was a nigerians awards which have 'guest' from some of the countries in the continent.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by worldbest(m): 11:03am On Dec 05, 2008
@RSA

No matter how you put it,u actually beefing Nigeria.Its not our fault you guys are living under our shadows in some stuffz like entertainment and sports etc.

The era of singing in "my mother's togue" has passed.Sometimes you have to sing songs that africans and the world as a whole will understand and appreciate.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by lipuka(m): 12:12pm On Dec 05, 2008
What sports? how many medals did 9ja get at the Olympics? And we have sent our musicians to Kora among others and always win something. It is also known that when the event is held in a certain country, most of the winners come from that country. And anyway, what is so special about pretending to be an American, and ending up doing a bad job of it? shame on you
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by princesa(f): 12:48pm On Dec 05, 2008
see the two bad belle (Kenyan and south african)
groaning in pain because Nigerian Artiste dominated the award grin
jealous minds grin

is it any ones fault that you guys, even though uses english as your lingua france still sing in your local dialect more,
almost 80 percent song is in your language
not everybody understands what you guys are speaking so ya should go upgrade your songs tongue

nigeria rocks, rule, dominate now and forever
unless you guyz improve to even stand a chance in competing with us cool

not hate intended tongue
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by lipuka(m): 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2008
Ther are a lot of things that I like about Nigeria. I have been there and enjoyed a lot. Have you been to Kenya, Princess. You could learn a lot and change even more.

How I wish Fela Kuti was alive,
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by princesa(f): 2:34pm On Dec 05, 2008
well i have not been to kenyan maybe oneday cool

how is Obama wink
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by RSA(m): 3:35pm On Dec 05, 2008
Yes I'm jealous because I choose to be true to my culture and tradition,I'm jealous because I take time to learn my neigbours language instead of creating pidgin engilishisi.I am jealous that Mariam Makeba even though she was a Xhosa woman she sang in Swahile,Zulu,Lingala and other languages from the continent and she become world famous and a grammy winner.
Yes I'm jealous because respected musicians(real world famous artist) like Ismael Lo,Baaba Maal,Slif Keita,Angelijo Kijo sings in their mothers tongue and have made a mark in the world music.
Iam so jealous I think Iam going crazy,please keep your awards and enjoy it.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by princesa(f): 3:44pm On Dec 05, 2008
thanks, i am already keeping the award cool
but how come you type in english tongue and not swahili

stop living in the past, and wake up to reality undecided
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by ajayi1(m): 3:46pm On Dec 05, 2008
Keep my comment. undecided
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by debosky(m): 3:46pm On Dec 05, 2008
Why are you here typing in English? Why not converse only in your mother tongue to prove you're being 'true to your tradition and culture'? Why are you wearing white man's clothes in your picture instead of traditional South African outfits?

I hope you don't eat bread or drink wine,and I hope your computer is made in Africa from an African design. I hope you live in a 'traditional and cultural' house too.

It does seem your main grouse is that you do not know the artistes, and haven't listened to their music, so how do you judge?

Not everyone will be Maryam Makeeba or Angelique Kidjo - let each artiste decide what is 'being true' to their culture.

What about MOBO awards and MTV Europe awards won by Nigerians as well? I guess you haven't heard of those.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by lipuka(m): 3:57pm On Dec 05, 2008
Ahsante Princess kwa maoni yako. Naamini wewe na mimi tutakuwa marafiki wema, na nakukaribisha wakati wo wote. That Kiswahili is the best you can have from anyone anywhere. I have used it as a broadcaster. Hope you understand it, or ask someone to translate for you. There are some Nigerians who speak the language. And that include my brother-in-law called Richard Alawaye. Unfortunately for you, he is in the US of A right now. Lo Lote utakalo nitakupa wakati wo wote. Je umeolewa?
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by lipuka(m): 4:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
Debosky, you embarrass me. Please go back to school and learn some more Geography. Kenya is not in South Africa. Such ignorance?! Amazing.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by debosky(m): 5:11pm On Dec 05, 2008
Lipuka

Unfortunately I was not referring to you, rather I was speaking to RSA who IS South African. If you spent a milisecond reading and digesting my post without your uber defensive goggles you would've noticed that. wink

Another poorly thought out hastily composed response in order to score a point. I wonder what happened to the principles of 'think before you type' undecided
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by Abbygyal(f): 5:17pm On Dec 05, 2008
lol@debosky

kenya guy just chill God would do it for u guyz next time, just free dis stuff? tongue its nt worth argueing over stuffs dat are over, Nigerians are good singers with talents , so drop dis plsss, *wink*
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by princesa(f): 11:11am On Dec 06, 2008
@kenyan guy
what the Bleep are you typing
you should be happy that the best female artiste went to your singer
because Asa deserved it flat and fair, but it would seem partial if dbanj won best male and Asa won best best female
afterall its for African right? but all those who got the awards irrespective of their country deserve it, no kidding or selfishness on my part smiley

@southafrican guy
instead of complaining much about how things are not done locally, you should concentrate on your girls whom have given themselve to Dbanj and Co to make good vidoes (booty Call) and win Best video Awards grin
use what you have to get what you want grin
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by ajayi1(m): 3:01pm On Dec 06, 2008
princesa:

@kenyan guy
what the mess are you typing
you should be happy that the best female artiste went to your singer
because Asa deserved it flat and fair, but it would seem partial if dbanj won best male and Asa won best best female
afterall its for African right? but all those who got the awards irrespective of their country deserve it, no kidding or selfishness on my part smiley

@southafrican guy
instead of complaining much about how things are not done locally, you should concentrate on your girls whom have given themselve to Dbanj and Co to make good vidoes (booty Call) and win Best video Awards grin
use what you have to get what you want grin

I can't shout, lol
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 07, 2008
Out of all the wahala, Asa was the only person that impressed me. Not only did she play LIVE but she's pure African. Others tried but i think it was just a show to bring The Game (my man) and Flo-rida to make some money off Nigerians
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by ajayi1(m): 11:19pm On Dec 07, 2008
emmeno:

Out of all the wahala, Asa was the only person that impressed me. Not only did she play LIVE but she's pure African. Others tried but i think it was just a show to bring The Game (my man) and Flo-rida to make some money off Nigerians

You talk true.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by semid4lyfe(m): 11:31pm On Dec 07, 2008
Asa's performance was no doubt the best of the evening.She perfomed a special remix version of her hit Mr Jailer with a guy who rapped in french and that ish was the shiznit.I think Seun kuti"s performance was also tite n D'banjs' matchup performance with Kelly Rowland  was cool too.Infact,its the first time D'banj impressed me on stage.All the other performances were just there.Overmimming dey worry all of them.

To all the Peeps beefing Nigeria and Nigerians,una go beef tire.Instead of u guys  to put  in more work n release better stuff,u're busy beefing nigerians.Continue una hear.YEYE!
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by kosovo(m): 8:22am On Dec 08, 2008
NO RAP categories.
that's the only flop.
anything else was awesome!
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by princesa(f): 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2008
aint rap and hip pop in da same category
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by ajayi1(m): 6:22pm On Dec 09, 2008
yea
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by AdamBrody1(m): 11:07pm On Dec 09, 2008
Honestly, i dont really dig the mamas at all. It wasnt a true reflection of what Africans can do and achieve in terms of music and celebrity status. I see Mtv africa as a whipping boy for storm records and the ikoyi musicians such as Naeto c, Ikechukwu and Shasa. Real Nigerian Musicans especially in Fuji, Juju, afro-jazz in the form of lagbaja and jeje or highlifers like kween should be the focus of Niger music and other african genre's of music should have been fully exploited.

Although 9ice, dbanj and Asa represented 3 genre's of African music that can be wll appreciated but you can't tell me that Ikechukwu is a better African musician than Femi Kuti or Naeto C has more mass appeal than Pasuma!

Everything was staged to suit the ikoyi boys and not really the real Naija african musicians. I remember when musicians like angela kidjo, yussouf n'dour, nene cherry, mariam makeba and the likes used to make African music proud. The world will only respect African music if we push our brand out more, not listening to shasha who is a fake hip hop wannabe!

Take for example, the mtv asia awards? How many awards do you see going to asia hip hop or R&b? Because those ones pushed to have their genre of music exhibited more than the urban hip hop and rap!

Even an Artist like lord of ajasa would be more respected as an African hip hop artist than a Naeto C.

And how horrible is Africa that we have to import Trevor Nelson from the U.k to come ad host an African Award broadcasted to Africans in Cockney English?
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by princesa(f): 9:26am On Dec 10, 2008
dnt sweat it much dude wink

but you got one thing right, its still the A-class Artiste giving award round and round to themselves
nothing new to expect
just glad that nigerain bagged most award actually meant to go round Africa undecided
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by lipuka(m): 10:53am On Dec 10, 2008
It's good when musicians are recognised for their talents. But we should still look for inspiraton from Africa, not foreign countries. This has nothing to do with wearing skins.
Re: Mtv Africa Was Not African by princesa(f): 2:35pm On Dec 10, 2008
nd has everything to do with living in the present and not the past undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

SHAZAM® Was Useless! Please Help Me Find This Song/melody. / Original Saucekid Fans Come Inside And Vote. 2010 The Year Of Saucekid ! / Kennis Music And Rainbow Fm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.