Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,468 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price (30746 Views)

FG Approves N86.50k As Petrol Pump Price / Buhari Surrenders DNA Ignorantly To America. / Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by obailala(m): 3:36am On Dec 08, 2014
Gov Fashola [size=14pt]Ignorantly[/size] Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price

I think Fashola has raised a pertinent question which is worthy of sensible debates. Two things I do not understand however is why the word 'ignorantly' was used in the title of this thread and why the Nairaland MODs happily placed this topic on the frontpage without deeming it fit to edit the title.

Typically, it is in situations like this I would have expected the MODs to edit the topic but it is unfortunate they cannot even hide their political bias.

Anyway, all I can say to seun and his lieutenants in the voice of PEJ is "continue"

7 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by tit(f): 3:38am On Dec 08, 2014
Scene 1
Act A
Emperor Musiwa reminded us of something the other day.
He said Nigeria share the oil money 60:40 with the "Oil Majors".
After operating cost!

That is if it costs $40
(asari dokubo and the big boys in shell and chevron must chop)
to get a barrel of oil to the market
where the oil is sold for $100/barrel,
the Fed govt only gets $36/barrel!

Act B
If oil is sold for $70 a barrel,
Sorry ooo!
the shell and chevron oil boys must still chop!
Nigeria will now only get about 60% $70.00-$40.00!
Is that $18/barrel?

That is about a 50% pay cut!
Alhamdullahi!!!

Scene 2
Act A
Otedola and Faruk Lawan go market for refinery abroad to buy petrol for Sinedu to drive his belgium!
when oil was $100/barrel, they would get petrol for about 140naira per litre.
Petrol must be sold to Nigerians at 97 naira a litre, so the taxpayer sucks in the difference of about 43 naira per litre!

Act B
with oil at $60/litre,
Otedola and Faruk Lawan now get petrol for about 106 naira per litre.
Petrol must, still, be sold to Nigerians at 97 naira per litre, so the taxpayer sucks in the difference of 9 naira per litre only!

The goverment gets about 50% cut in revenue
and about 80% reduction in subsidy payments.

To make matter complicated,
what percent of govt expenditure is subsidy payments?

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Patrictemmy(m): 4:14am On Dec 08, 2014

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by born2fuckpussy: 5:33am On Dec 08, 2014
Our government will only recognise increase in globally and not reduction. They can only follow with increase

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by synergycom19: 5:45am On Dec 08, 2014
Why are guys arguing this matter like senseless people? Why did LATE PRESIDENT YAR'ADUA REDUCES THE THE PUMP PRICE PRICE FROM 70.00 TO 65.00 per litre? It's was reduced because the selling price of crude oil also went down. That's a government in charge,not this caricatures

2 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by aperture11: 5:55am On Dec 08, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Amount spent reduces but price remains the same.
This is the most contradictory statement I have heard in years. It defies logic and economic laws, if cost of production reduces, cost of commodity should reduce too in a free market economy. I don't need a degree in economics to know that. If you tell me that the cost savings is basically transmuted to reduction on subsidy paid, rather than reduction in pump price, it means that the Government should tell us how much that is what is happening to that savings.

In all, the insincerity of our Government to make our refineries work and the fact that we still pay subsidy on even products refined here is what never ceases to baffle me. Where does all these money go?

The answer to that question is very glary to you and I, if we are sincere.

5 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by rman: 6:17am On Dec 08, 2014
aperture11:

This is the most contradictory statement I have heard in years. It defies logic and economic laws, if cost of production reduces, cost of commodity should reduce too in a free market economy. I don't need a degree in economics to know that. If you tell me that the cost savings is basically transmuted to reduction on subsidy paid, rather than reduction in pump price, it means that the Government should tell us how much that is what is happening to that savings.

In all, the insincerity of our Government to make our refineries work and the fact that we still pay subsidy on even products refined here is what never ceases to baffle me. Where does all these money go?

The answer to that question is very glary to you and I, if we are sincere.

The BlackTechnology dude is half smart. His logic is completely flawed.
He is basically saying the relief from low oil prices should be on subsidy payments alone. In essence, all the burden should be on the people. Government just needs to keep more money for herself so they can loot more.

When confronted with the diesel example, instead of him to admit he is wrong, he shamelessly tried to blame the marketer's.

We are our own worst enemy, not the government.

5 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by AKPOSbaba: 6:21am On Dec 08, 2014
President on cannabis.
they serve a juju crazy god instead of a miracle living GOD dats y they neva av u at heart..

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Etinosajay(m): 6:23am On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
he wasn't increasing pump price, he was reducing the the amount subsidzed by govt ie if the cost of fuel is 100per litre n govt is payn 50 the balance is what u u call pump price! So if the govt decides to pay 30 out of the 100 it means we have to pay 70, so the govt ddnt increase fuel price but reduced its stake in da subsidy. Go n read up the subsidy pls.

Bullsh*t. There aint no subsidy as far as I'm concerned. Because OBJ never once mentioned subsidy as I can remember. I believe this is just some book of lies to gather money for some people

2 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by pazienza(m): 6:26am On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
oga whoever is importing diesel will not reduce his price, cos it profitable. If we were refining then wed hve a case but infact, its even more expensive to import now with devaluation of naira. The subsidy must go

If whoever that is importing would not reduce the price,then the reasonable thing to do would be to revoke their licence and give it to to those willing to reduce the price.

2 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by DesChyko: 6:37am On Dec 08, 2014
yIkEsDuDe:

..Read through many dictionaries you'll find that your choice is regarded as illogical and incorrect..

Correction: I'm not a student in the sense you're implying. I'm a teacher.
I don't know if you verified what I posted before attacking me, but here are two dictionary links.

[url=http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/you-can%27t-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too]1. OXFORD DICTIONARY ONLINE[/url]

2. CAMBRIDGE DICTIONARY ONLINE

If you're still of the opinion that you're more knowledgeable than the owners of the language, have a nice day.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by arsetalks(m): 6:43am On Dec 08, 2014
Nairaland and stupidity. How is it "igorantly"? Does the OP and whoever pushed this to the front page not know that a decrease in oil prices in the global market ought to lead to a decrease in the sum paid out to subsidise the product?

And if subsidy money is maintained, we can get a decrease in pump prices since government will be spending less?

Either way, the sharp decline of the naira as a result of crash in crude price has shown this administration and GEJ as corrupt bastards. We can experience a devaluation of the naira now cos there is oil price crash but no appreciation when crude price was $168.

Shows GEJ and or his administrators have been enriching themselves at the disadvantage of us all.

#GEJtill2015.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 6:49am On Dec 08, 2014
pazienza:

If whoever that is importing would not reduce the price,then the reasonable thing to do would be to revoke their licence and give it to to those willing to reduce the price.
you don't revoke licences like that, its a breach of contract and what's the guarantee the next person will reduce pricing? You yourself that's speaking, will you reduce price?

Remove the damn subsidy and u eliminate all dese issues.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 6:53am On Dec 08, 2014
Etinosajay:

Bullsh*t. There aint no subsidy as far as I'm concerned. Because OBJ never once mentioned subsidy as I can remember. I believe this is just some book of lies to gather money for some people
yet fg wanted to remove it ie the subsidy tht allows for siphoning of trillions of naira. How do u xplain a thief closing his own doorway? Your logic
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by lailo: 6:57am On Dec 08, 2014
Continue deceiving urself....no Govmt is serious in dis country.In ur widest dream u also believe if subsidy is removed things will get better.....is it d subsidy that is our problem or corruption.....

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
cos deregulation isn't child play or hasty implementations. It took obj 8yrs to fully privatise our communications sector, gej has even attempted more ie power, aborted subsidy removal, auto industry revolution etc and yes petroleum is one sector we can't be leaving docile cosd its costn us trillions, its nt employing youths as compared to It, and its a haven of corruption and greedy waste. A thriving petroleum sector will guarantee a very extra buoyant middle class. Its spiral effect is undisputable.
I dont understand what you mean by it took obj 8 years .... I started hearing of gsm august 2001 . bro , it is not that this thing is not childs play , it is this same corrutption we been talking . there are cabals seriously enriching themselves by importing petroleum , hence would not want functional refineries.the multinationals once complained the contract approval period in Ngeria alone delays investment , it takes about 4 years.it has to o thu dpr , napims , ministry , senate and so many of these parastatals while in angola it is just about 4 months. its time all this stopped . other african countries are fast moving and yet we claim we giants. you can read on the heavy investments in kenya.

2 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by plendil: 7:14am On Dec 08, 2014
me I no be economist oooooo, but Fashola's question doesn't look ignorant to me. comma plenty for this whole oyel business. Question:

Are we to believe importers are still importing PMS, or crucially, AGO, at the same price now as it was circa May-June, when oil hovered over $100??

Can devaluation effects completely obliterate the reduction in price?

If indeed it is there is a reduction in price, why hasn't the regulatory agencies, PPRA etc al, come in?

BTW N971b was devoted to subsidy payment this year. . .where that money?

SURE - P. . .hia make it leave that one embarassed embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by BlackTechnology: 7:23am On Dec 08, 2014
rman:

The BlackTechnology dude is half smart. His logic is completely flawed.
He is basically saying the relief from low oil prices should be on subsidy payments alone. In essence, all the burden should be on the people. Government just needs to keep more money for herself so they can loot more.

When confronted with the diesel example, instead of him to admit he is wrong, he shamelessly tried to blame the marketer's.

We are our own worst enemy, not the government.

Now listen to this guy view point to understand why I blame the oil marketers and will not defend GEJ for not doing anything about it.

Demdem:

[b]
This has always been my argument against proponents of deregulation of the sector. We have tried it for diesel and it's not working, why on earth can someone convince me that it will work for petrol.

These lot will like to hinge their hopes on the telecommunication sector where healthy competition brought prices down. This work for them then because most of the investors were foreign.
It will be foolhardy to compare them with our local oil merchants that are high profile politicians who will just form a cartel and determine price they deem fit.
Importing is a big disservice to this nation and we Av a useless govt that doesn't care about our local refining capability.
The same thing is currently happening in the cement sector where big players in the industry jointly sat together and agree on price of cement and some folks will call that competition. Bullshit, that's a cartel.

On a small scale, we have tried deregulation of diesel and instead of marketers competing between themselves, they are forming cartels amongst themselves further improvising Nigerians and the govt is looking aloof. If the benefits are not gotten from diesel under this govt, we can never get the same for petrol. This isn't rocket science but common sense.[/b]

God bless you

GEJ is wrong not fighting this diesel cartel but deregulation stands

GEJ must fight cartels the way Roosevelt fought cartels.

We Nigerians must side the president against cartels
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by lugado: 7:28am On Dec 08, 2014
Bayswater:
That's Fashola playing to the gallery again saying rubbish under the pretence of not being an economist. He has economic advisers, he could have sought their advise before displaying his hypocrisy. That a barrel of oil is now $65 does not mean the cost of producing it or bringing it to the pump will change. Pump price has not been reduced in the UK, usa and across Europe. His attempt at using a bushmeat seller's logic has failed woefully.

Even if we refine the crude oil here, the cost if producing a barrel of oil would still be more than $65 per barrel. Even the average cost of producing the shale which people consider cheaper, is above $70 per barrel. As long as we don't refine crude here, it would take months for us to see reduction in pump prices.

Our greedy oil marketers too will not allow us feel the positive impact even when they start getting oil at reduced prices, they would want to maximise their profit.

na lie price don reduce for UK and USA o shocked
Bayswater:
That's Fashola playing to the gallery again saying rubbish under the pretence of not being an economist. He has economic advisers, he could have sought their advise before displaying his hypocrisy. That a barrel of oil is now $65 does not mean the cost of producing it or bringing it to the pump will change. Pump price has not been reduced in the UK, usa and across Europe. His attempt at using a bushmeat seller's logic has failed woefully.

Even if we refine the crude oil here, the cost if producing a barrel of oil would still be more than $65 per barrel. Even the average cost of producing the shale which people consider cheaper, is above $70 per barrel. As long as we don't refine crude here, it would take months for us to see reduction in pump prices.

Our greedy oil marketers too will not allow us feel the positive impact even when they start getting oil at reduced prices, they would want to maximise their profit.

na lie price don reduce for UK and USA o

2 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by VolvoS60(m): 7:41am On Dec 08, 2014
BlackTechnology:

^^^^
I see.

The GEJ administration didn't need my help to 'deregulate' or 'remove subsidy'. The GEJ administration didn't need my help in deciding who to issue fuel import licences to. But it now needs my help to 'fight the cartel'.

You clearly think we are children.

We are watching.

5 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by BlackTechnology: 7:45am On Dec 08, 2014
podosci:

There are three things in play, subsidy, exchange rate and crude price.
we are in a paradox, the price of crude went down, our exchange rate went up, the amount paid to subsidies fuel came down. Puting this three factors together......i just want to know, if the pump price of petrol would go up, come down or mantain status quoe

If it goes up or down it won't be much

But I don't think GEJ will increase it because it might ruin his 2nd term.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by xandy84: 7:49am On Dec 08, 2014
The pump price has been reduce in chicago... I know that for sure

Bayswater:

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by nduchucks: 7:53am On Dec 08, 2014
nonen:
Yea. Fashola has the local logic correct. However there's an expected increase in fuel pump price due to the dollar-naira exchange rate disparity. Since the naira is losing weight against the dollars, the importers will have to pay more to import the product. Fashola logic would have worked only if we refine the crude here.

I think yoir logic is flawed.Oil prices have dropped from 115 to approx 65, a 40 - 50% decrease. In the meantime, Monetary Policy Committee of the Central Bank of Nigeria devalues the naira from N155 to N168 to the US dollar; a mere 6% devaluation.

Sir, Fashola is on point, your own logic is the incorrect one.

3 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Bawss1(m): 7:54am On Dec 08, 2014
Bayswater:

It's actually good you've posted a link, so I'll let you do the math. The cheapest you can get a gallon of petrol in the usa is around 285/290 cents. The price of a gallon late October was around 315cents so we can say price of a gallon of petrol went down by 20cents per barrel. Here is the issue: we have almost 5litres in a gallon, so it is safe to say the price of a litre of petrol in the usa has actually gone down by 5 to 6 cents which is quite negligible. Will you now call that reduction when compared with the price of a barrel of crude oil that has reduced by almost $35/3500cents?

Obviously you didn't bother to read the article in the link because if you did you wouldn't say that the price of petrol has dropped by 6 cents. Read it and try again.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 08, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
A functioning refinery should be the criteria to judge the government of Nigeria. Every government that failed to set up refineries in this country is a FAILURE.
I concur with you strongly!

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Demdem(m): 8:28am On Dec 08, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Now listen to this guy view point to understand why I blame the oil marketers and will not defend GEJ for not doing anything about it.

God bless you

Deregulation in itself isn't a bad thing afterall telecommunications sector was and we all are happy with it however if what ought to be done isn't done as it is for diesel it will become a curse.

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Demdem(m): 8:31am On Dec 08, 2014
VolvoS60:

^^^^
I see.

The GEJ administration didn't need my help to 'deregulate' or 'remove subsidy'. The GEJ administration didn't need my help in deciding who to issue fuel import licences to. But it now needs my help to 'fight the cartel'.

We are watching.

The dude is finding it difficult to accept that Jonathan govt itself is culpable and conspires with these thieves to impoverish Nigerians the more.
They aren't sincere no doubt.

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by adconline(m): 8:38am On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
omo this is real rocket science sha!! Anyways Us doesn't import pmc they refine so competition and govt policies can affect pricing in a way it won't affect profits.

Nigeria imports .
Naija prices are based on crude oil prices set at New York Mercantile Exchange. Refining cost is constant, thus, Naija importers are paying less.. Yar'dua slashed prices and Naija didn't go broke.. We have a profligate govt that only knows how to spend but doesn't know how to cut their spending or give people a replieve.

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by podosci(m): 8:45am On Dec 08, 2014
Demdem:

I want to highlight three things here from ur post.
1) The price of oil has been falling from June-July this year.
2) devaluation of the naira was a recent development. Weeks ago.
3) amount paid as subsidies are normally budgeted for.

1 the price of oil has been falling since june but never fell below our oil bench mark of 98$ untill recently
2. devaluation of the Naira is foolishness and to me its a stupid policy,,,,why deceive oneself and devaluate a currency when in reality the value of the currency has weakend, Economist put the real value of Niara at nearly 200.
althou am not talking of devaluation, am talking about our weaked currency due to the reduction in value of our major if nt only export produce
3. There is what we call budget devicit and supplus......buh the supplus money would probably be embezzeld.

But you didnt enlighten me on my Question, put all this factos together, what should happen to the pump price of petrol?
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Demdem(m): 8:56am On Dec 08, 2014
podosci:

1 the price of oil has been falling since june but never fell below our oil bench mark of 98$ untill recently
2. devaluation of the Naira is foolishness and to me its a stupid policy,,,,why deceive oneself and devaluate a currency when in reality the value of the currency has weakend, Economist put the real value of Niara at nearly 200.
althou am not talking of devaluation, am talking about our weaked currency due to the reduction in value of our major if nt only export produce
3. There is what we call budget devicit and supplus......buh the supplus money would probably be embezzeld.

But you didnt enlighten me on my Question, put all this factos together, what should happen to the pump price of petrol?

I have no issues with ur earlier post and never intend answering any question. I only wanted to remind us discussants these facts I stated earlier.
Of cos pump price ought to have gone down.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by BlackTechnology: 8:58am On Dec 08, 2014
VolvoS60:

^^^^
I see.

We are watching.
tongue

You guys supported the cartel when GEJ wanted to deal with the subsidy thieves.

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by BlackTechnology: 9:23am On Dec 08, 2014
Demdem:

The dude is finding it difficult to accept that Jonathan govt itself is culpable and conspires with these thieves to impoverish Nigerians the more.
They aren't sincere no doubt.

You hurt my feeling by saying I am not sincere

Go through my posts and you will see that I condemn bad economic policies

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Crowd At Pedestrian Bridge In Bauchi As Buhari's Convoy Passes (Photos) / 2023: YCGG Endorses Peter Obi As Their Preferred Candidate / Cambridge: Why We Can’t Authenticate Buhari’s Result

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.