Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,745 members, 7,813,440 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price (30743 Views)

FG Approves N86.50k As Petrol Pump Price / Buhari Surrenders DNA Ignorantly To America. / Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by VolvoS60(m): 9:34am On Dec 08, 2014
BlackTechnology:
tongue

You guys supported the cartel when GEJ wanted to deal with the subsidy thieves.

^^^
Stick to the topic. I have no idea what you mean by the above statement.

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by VolvoS60(m): 9:39am On Dec 08, 2014
Demdem:

[b]
This has always been my argument against proponents of deregulation of the sector. We have tried it for diesel and it's not working, why on earth can someone convince me that it will work for petrol.

These lot will like to hinge their hopes on the telecommunication sector where healthy competition brought prices down. This work for them then because most of the investors were foreign.
It will be foolhardy to compare them with our local oil merchants that are high profile politicians who will just form a cartel and determine price they deem fit.
Importing is a big disservice to this nation and we Av a useless govt that doesn't care about our local refining capability.
The same thing is currently happening in the cement sector where big players in the industry jointly sat together and agree on price of cement and some folks will call that competition. Bullshit, that's a cartel.

On a small scale, we have tried deregulation of diesel and instead of marketers competing between themselves, they are forming cartels amongst themselves further improvising Nigerians and the govt is looking aloof. If the benefits are not gotten from diesel under this govt, we can never get the same for petrol. This isn't rocket science but common sense.[/b]

^^^
Clearly stated.

2 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Demdem(m): 9:42am On Dec 08, 2014
BlackTechnology:

You hurt my feeling by saying I am not sincere

Go through my posts and you will see that I condemn bad economic policies

Apologies.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by seunot: 10:16am On Dec 08, 2014
SOMETHING Is Definitely Wrong With The Psyche Of A Nigeria!

When prices of goods or services go up, it barely comes down, it makes one wonder whether we are part of humanity!!

Anyway, I thing I know for sure is that WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY!!!
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Etinosajay(m): 12:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
yet fg wanted to remove it ie the subsidy tht allows for siphoning of trillions of naira. How do u xplain a thief closing his own doorway? Your logic

By your logic, a thief who resigns from stealing in d open, but coerces u to hand it to him, isn't that d same stealing? How by your logic can u prove that subsidy really exists? Because I don't

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2014
barcanista:
What iis the %Change in the Price of the Dollar and what is the %Change in the price of crude oil? My friend this is a very simple economics.

At price $100 per barrel, government spends 1trillion on subsidy bills. Naira/Dollar was N165.

At price $70 per barrel, government cannot justify spending the same 1 trillion on subsidy bills, despite the devalue of the naira to 178 per dollar. The %Change can never justify it.

We have 30% reduction in the price of the crude oil, with a 8% increament in the price of the dollar. The disparity is just glaring. The price of petrol must go down or the appropriation on subsidy must go down should the price of petrol remain constant.

Barcanista I want to school you.... You know little about Global Energy business, Now do you know that the real price of petrol per little is NGN 140 while crude is $100, but Gov decided to pay ur NGN 43, now crude is $70 , by simple algebra( as an Engineer) petrol supposed to be sold for NGN 98 , so even if we are refining the crude Gov is subsiding NGN 1.00 ( one naira) for you.... before now dollar to Naira was NGN162 and its now NGN 178, thats an increament of NGN16.... thats a multiple effect of one tenth of the original value( NGN162). so if federal government was selling petrol at 97 Naira It means there is a multiple effect of additional one tenth which is NGN9.7, so if u add this to NGN98 =
NGN107.7.... So in all Feg Gov is still subsiding NGN10 per litter for you......

CC: tits , Demdem, revolts, omenka

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 2:27pm On Dec 08, 2014
Etinosajay:

By your logic, a thief who resigns from stealing in d open, but coerces u to hand it to him, isn't that d same stealing? How by your logic can u prove that subsidy really exists? Because I don't
as long as nnpc(fg) is involved in paying the marketers, there's a subsidy. Why can't the marketers like every other good sell directly to consumers, why must fg buy 1st and resell. You don't even know how the system works do you?

Thts da probs wif u guys.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 2:40pm On Dec 08, 2014
adconline:

Naija prices are based on crude oil prices set at New York Mercantile Exchange. Refining cost is constant, thus, Naija importers are paying less.. Yar'dua slashed prices and Naija didn't go broke.. We have a profligate govt that only knows how to spend but doesn't know how to cut their spending or give people a replieve.
I don't remba any marketer claiming they import from newyork and pls hw can refining cost be constant, are all tax rate and derivates, same in all economies.. Hmm na wa. O
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2014
majekdom2:
I dont understand what you mean by it took obj 8 years .... I started hearing of gsm august 2001 . bro , it is not that this thing is not childs play , it is this same corrutption we been talking . there are cabals seriously enriching themselves by importing petroleum , hence would not want functional refineries.the multinationals once complained the contract approval period in Ngeria alone delays investment , it takes about 4 years.it has to o thu dpr , napims , ministry , senate and so many of these parastatals while in angola it is just about 4 months. its time all this stopped . other african countries are fast moving and yet we claim we giants. you can read on the heavy investments in kenya.
so how do u propose to stop these cabals? Bearing in mind they're operating with legitimate licences.. U suggest govt keeps paying them ryt? because u guys want subsidized fuel. Na wa. O
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
so how do u propose to stop these cabals? Bearing in mind they're operating with legitimate licences.. U suggest govt keeps paying them ryt? because u guys want subsidized fuel. Na wa. O
No , I dont want the govt to keep paying them because there was no subsidy in the first place . we all know how likes of obat , jimoh ibrahim " fleet oil " and loads of them turned bigger millionaires because of this subsidy stuff.In all truth and transperency , an end can come to all these if our refineries can function ,I know you may say it will be delayed , there is no cause for delay if not because of this same corruption we talking and so it takes a true govt which is ready to operate in truth and accountability to do this.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 3:03pm On Dec 08, 2014
synergycom19:
Why are guys arguing this matter like senseless people? Why did LATE PRESIDENT YAR'ADUA REDUCES THE THE PUMP PRICE PRICE FROM 70.00 TO 65.00 per litre? It's was reduced because the selling price of crude oil also went down. That's a government in charge,not this caricatures
well he reduced but u blinded urself to one fact!! The subsidy payments tripled. That was a lousy policy, tht was politically motivated to mke him look like servant leader...go and stuidy tht sector n get the facts and stop arguing like a market woman!! Hearsays.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 3:15pm On Dec 08, 2014
aperture11:

This is the most contradictory statement I have heard in years. It defies logic and economic laws, if cost of production reduces, cost of commodity should reduce too in a free market economy. I don't need a degree in economics to know that. If you tell me that the cost savings is basically transmuted to reduction on subsidy paid, rather than reduction in pump price, it means that the Government should tell us how much that is what is happening to that savings.

In all, the insincerity of our Government to make our refineries work and the fact that we still pay subsidy on even products refined here is what never ceases to baffle me. Where does all these money go?

The answer to that question is very glary to you and I, if we are sincere.
is the black race this unbrilliant? Okay let's illustrate like ure in primary school. Your country doesn't produce pmc, your govt licences som ppl to go import from countries that produce. Can you tell me how ur govt will control the price from the overseas refineries?
If u were the ceo of tht oversea refinery wd u reduce ur price to ur nigerian customers... My guess is no. So what's the solution? Let's see if u can think.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 3:19pm On Dec 08, 2014
majekdom2:
No , I dont want the govt to keep paying them because there was no subsidy in the first place . we all know how likes of obat , jimoh ibrahim " fleet oil " and loads of them turned bigger millionaires because of this subsidy stuff.In all truth and transperency , an end can come to all these if our refineries can function ,I know you may say it will be delayed , there is no cause for delay if not because of this same corruption we talking and so it takes a true govt which is ready to operate in truth and accountability to do this.
ure govt cudnt successfully run a courier coy, ie carry letters from lagos to ogunstate, and you're hoping they operate a refinery.
List the sectors that are most successful in nigeria( telecoms, banking, it, paid Tv.transportation) how many are controlled by govt.

Have u heard of federal xter, quota system etc..go read my guy

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 08, 2014
kaycid77:

Barcanista I want to school you.... You know little about Global Energy business, Now do you know that the real price of petrol per little is NGN 140 while crude is $100, but Gov decided to pay ur NGN 43, now crude is $70 , by simple algebra( as an Engineer) petrol supposed to be sold for NGN 98 , so even if we are refining the crude Gov is subsiding NGN 1.00 ( one naira) for you.... before now dollar to Naira was NGN162 and its now NGN 178, thats an increament of NGN16.... thats a multiple effect of one tenth of the original value( NGN162). so if federal government was selling petrol at 97 Naira It means there is a multiple effect of additional one tenth which is NGN9.7, so if u add this to NGN98 =
NGN107.7.... So in all Feg Gov is still subsiding NGN10 per litter for you......

you are just too quick to type. Next time you comprehend before rushing. Before now, government was subsidizing petrol at the rate of N43.00. With the drop in the price of crude to $70, and putting the N16 decrease in the value of the naira into consederation, the real price of pms now becomes N107.70 per liter. If the populace are to still be buying petrol at N97/litre, it means government only spends N10 per litre on subsidy, hence, she is to return the balance of N14 per every litre to the treasury representing 59% that it has appropriated for the subsidy bills. The simply means that 59% of the money appropriated for subsidy(in 2014 budget) since the fall of the oil price must be returned to the treasury and used for other capital projects. If the government insists not to return the money, then it is justifiable that the pump price be reviwed downward. This isn't a complex economics.

4 Likes

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
ure govt cudnt successfully run a courier coy, ie carry letters from lagos to ogunstate, and you're hoping they operate a refinery.
List the sectors that are most successful in nigeria( telecoms, banking, it, paid Tv.transportation) how many are controlled by govt.

Have u heard of federal xter, quota system etc..go read my guy
where did you read in my post I said the government should run refineries . I said only an accountble govt will be ready to privatise the refineries , read again ?
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Bayswater: 8:49pm On Dec 08, 2014
deeflamez:

I've been reading you up from your first post on this thread and was satisfied when someone responded to your false claims. I don't care where you're getting your information from, but presently in Canada and USA, there's been a drastic drop in the price of gas, the best drop so far, I know this cos I drive to school and work everyday with a good difference spent per gallon/litre of gasoline. I don't intend to argue with you, it's no point.

The President and his entire cabinet have a million and one questions to answer and resources to account for. Don't be hoodwinked

How much was it in October and how much is a litre now? I mean in Canada and usa
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Bayswater: 8:52pm On Dec 08, 2014
xandy84:
The pump price has been reduce in chicago... I know that for sure

By how much please? Remember, the price of crude oil fell by 40%.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 9:49pm On Dec 08, 2014
t
majekdom2:
where did you read in my post I said the government should run refineries . I said only an accountble govt will be ready to privatise the refineries , read again ?
but gejs govt wanted to remove the subsidy whch is a prerequisite for deregulation and privatisation, so he was ready to privatise the sector una say no
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 08, 2014
revolt:
t but gejs govt wanted to remove the subsidy whch is a prerequisite for deregulation and privatisation, so he was ready to privatise the sector una say no
it was partially removed and we were told we would see changes in 4 years according to the economist so undecided
revolt:
t but gejs govt wanted to remove the subsidy whch is a prerequisite for deregulation and privatisation, so he was ready to privatise the sector una say no
it was partially removed and we were told we would see changes in 4 years according to the economist so what do you expect Nigerians to do now . isnt it same scam.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Walspring: 11:41pm On Dec 08, 2014
Why can't we Nigerians strike and shutdown the whole nation simply by telling the FG to repair or build refineries within a year.. Maybe we never believe that this can work because our leaders are thieves

If FG cant FG to repair or build refineries within a year that means they are stealing from us..

I can imagine 98% of Nigerians stealing from each other, Although you might not believe this.. grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by revolt(m): 7:44am On Dec 09, 2014
majekdom2:
it was partially removed and we were told we would see changes in 4 years according to the economist so undecided it was partially removed and we were told we would see changes in 4 years according to the economist so what do you expect Nigerians to do now . isnt it same scam.
whether its partially removed, doesn't make a diff. If you must know, they've been partially removing it since mid 80s. Take it off let's bear the consequences now so our children dnt suffer. Its like a farmer tryna protect his farm from wolves then he partially builds a fence.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by espn(m): 7:51am On Dec 09, 2014
nonen:
Yea. Fashola has the local logic correct. However there's an expected increase in fuel pump price due to the dollar-naira exchange rate disparity. Since the naira is losing weight against the dollars, the importers will have to pay more to import the product. Fashola logic would have worked only if we refine the crude here.
another question for u sir.. when yar adua reduced d price of petrol during his regime. What was d exchange rate between Naira and Dollar den? We know d Naira has never bin strong against d Dollar..it is always falling..so am confused. Please explain sir.. cos I also studied economics frm d prestigious university of ilorin. Teach me what I dint learn in school.

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Adminisher: 7:58am On Dec 09, 2014
kaycid77:

Please redo this calculation for crude oil at $60 a barrel and tell the govt to reduce the pump price. I have always believed the devaluation of the naira was an attempt to take the subsidy money through the back door since that is where the nigeria spends an unbelievable amount of naira (N1.7 trillion in 2012) but the price is going to fall lower so govt should give back the money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by obi2012: 10:02am On Dec 09, 2014
gas prices in the US dropped by almost 40 percent.. Nigeria needs to simplify its supply chain. There is no reason why nigeria should be subsidizing or importing refined crude oil.. all this form of trickery is put in place to confuse the masses so they wont be able to trace where money is being eaten.. if theres was no subsidy and crude was being refined in nigeria, there is no reason why the prices of petrol at the pump should not have dropped as the cost of crude dropped per barrel.

Even in the case where we are importing refined crude, the cost of refined crude has dropped everywhere else so we should be importing at a lower price since people in the US are seeing refined crude at less prices. Importing at a lower price should translate to lower prices for the average nigerian at the gas station. So its either the government is playing tricks as usual or the petroleum marketers are making a lot of money off our stupidity because there is no way they are still buying refined crude at the same rate they were buying it when it was $115/barrel

Bayswater:
That's Fashola playing to the gallery again saying rubbish under the pretence of not being an economist. He has economic advisers, he could have sought their advise before displaying his hypocrisy. That a barrel of oil is now $65 does not mean the cost of producing it or bringing it to the pump will change. Pump price has not been reduced in the UK, usa and across Europe. His attempt at using a bushmeat seller's logic has failed woefully.

Even if we refine the crude oil here, the cost if producing a barrel of oil would still be more than $65 per barrel. Even the average cost of producing the shale which people consider cheaper, is above $70 per barrel. As long as we don't refine crude here, it would take months for us to see reduction in pump prices.

Our greedy oil marketers too will not allow us feel the positive impact even when they start getting oil at reduced prices, they would want to maximise their profit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Nobody: 3:57am On Dec 10, 2014
I strongly suggest you leave ur old illogical english and embrace more reasonable non-conventional language usage. What exactly is d essence of communication if I'm confused by wat u are saying to me?
Simply put, it makes better sense to say u cnt eat it and have it too, u must agree:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_can%27t_have_your_cake_and_eat_it

more:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=you+can%27t+have+your+cake+and+eat+it+too

and:
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/eatcake.html

also:
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/156203/you-can-t-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too

Bottomline; it is not enough for u to be told it is so without u attempting to critic it.
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by suremanpatriot: 9:48pm On Dec 12, 2014
So who titled this thread,wht do u mean by Gov. BRF ignorantly seeks oil price reduction...?
It is simple secondary sch econs,let me enlighten u domestic fuel price was fixed based on international benchmark pricing. Thus if the price crashes by x% u reduce Nigeria's pump price by same x%,afterall when oil price appreciate to surplus they begin to use diversionary move to say for SURE-P. It is unacceptable.

1 Like

Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by Image123(m): 3:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
Singgggggggg Fashola, since you don't sign then sing. lol
Re: Gov Fashola Ignorantly Seeks A Cut In Petrol Pump Price by kYjelly2: 11:55am On Dec 05, 2017
Where is Fashola Now?

Oil price today is even less, at %57, yet pump price is N145.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buba Galadima: My Family Scattered In Relatives’ Houses / Nigerian Government Calls New York Policemen On Anti-buhari Protesters / Shina Peller Removes APC Flag As He Defects To Accord Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.