Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,740 members, 7,851,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:14 PM

Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu (1203 Views)

I Respect Obasanjo But He Introduced Bribery To The National Assembly-melaye / I Respect Tinubu, I Will Meet Him Soon, Says Saraki / Fashola And Ambode Throw Souvenirs At People At Alimosho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by nationwide1(m): 12:07pm On Dec 07, 2014
Of the generation of governors who ruled from 1999 and handed over to their successors in 2007, the only pair whether of same or different political parties who still exhibit cordial relationship publicly and perhaps privately is Gov Babatunde Raji Fashola ( SAN) and Ashiwaju Ahmed Tinubu. We all know what happens in different states between predecessors and successors.

For me, these two men epitomize the paragon of true politics and symbol of maturity and understanding. For this reason, I tag them the most politically matured minds of our generation.

May the next generation of governors learn from these men of honour.

What is your opinion?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by temitemi1(m): 12:12pm On Dec 07, 2014
The relationship is heading to the rock now. U can keep denying d facts... GEJ till 2019 no shaking!!!

1 Like

Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 07, 2014
The BAT-BRF relationship is based on sincerity and trust and not manipulation and unnecessary power struggle. Tinubu was sincere he what he wants, he needs a technocrat that will face the business of governance while he focuses on the politicking for himself, his followers, his state and on behalf of the governor. He singlehandedly drafted fashola into the guber race in 2007 and was very clear to him, "Work for Lagos". He isn't interested in dictating policies for fashola, however, he believes(and still hold such belief) that credible people that worked for Fashola election and other of his candidate must be allowed to serve within the cabinet. Hence, the policy in Lagos is that the party, not the Governor nominates commissioners, however, the governor is given slot. Tinubu is not interested in taken credit for Fashola's achievement neither is Fashola interested in taking over the political structure, which is the basis of their relationship. Jagaban isn't interested in Fashola praising him at every fora, neither is he interested in blaming Fashola or criticising him publicly. He allow him face governance, while Fashola allows tinubu face the politicking of Lagos. This is different from what is obtained in PDP.

Is it ethically or morally justified? As long as it doesn't undermine the integrity of the government or subvert the provisions of the constitution, it is fine!

4 Likes

Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by nationwide1(m): 12:21pm On Dec 07, 2014
temitemi1:
The relationship is heading to the rock now. U can keep denying d facts... GEJ till 2019 no shaking!!!
But what would be your testimony of their almost 8 year old relationship as compared to other state governors and their predecessors?
Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by nationwide1(m): 12:26pm On Dec 07, 2014
barcanista:
The BAT-BRF relationship is based on sincerity and trust and not manipulation and unnecessary power struggle. Tinubu was sincere he what he wants, he needs a technocrat that will face the business of governance while he focuses on the politicking for himself, his followers, his state and on behalf of the governor. He singlehandedly drafted fashola into the guber race in 2007 and was very clear to him, "Work for Lagos". He isn't interested in dictating policies for fashola, however, he believes(and still hold such belief) that credible people that worked for Fashola election and other of his candidate must be allowed to serve within the cabinet. Hence, the policy in Lagos is that the party, not the Governor nominates commissioners, however, the governor is given slot. Tinubu is not interested in taken credit for Fashola's achievement neither is Fashola interested in taking over the political structure, which is the basis of their relationship. Jagaban isn't interested in Fashola praising him at every fora, neither is he interested in blaming Fashola or criticising him publicly. He allow him face governance, while Fashola allows tinubu face the politicking of Lagos. This is different from what is obtained in PDP.

Is it ethically or morally justified? As long as it doesn't undermine the integrity of the government or subvert the provisions of the constitution, it is fine!
I don't think it's a PDP thing rather it's personalities involved. That's why I doff my hat for their show of uncommon political maturity.

1 Like

Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 07, 2014
nationwide1:
I don't think it's a PDP thing rather it's personalities involved. That's why I doff my hat for their show of uncommon political maturity.
what do you think about Alams/Jonathan relationship? Well the thing is when relationship is built on sincerity and "understanding" it will stand the test of time. No Governor wants to play second fiddle in control of the government that he or she heads. Had it been Fashola was/is a politician like Afikuyomi, GOS, Ikuforiji etc the story would have been different, because politicians just like Tinubu will want absolute control of both politicking and governance. In most PDP states their successors are politicians, there is clearly this conflict of interest. This is one reason Bola Tinubu will never support a typical politician to govern Lagos.
Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by Gbawe: 12:41pm On Dec 07, 2014
barcanista:

Indeed. I think Fashola and Tinubu will always be fine because both are motivated by different things that are not mutually exclusive or damaging to their relationship. Tinubu was a competent and visionary Governor whose administrative talent was stifled by the vengeful OBJ Presidency yet it is as a political Godfather and kingmaker that Tinubu came into his own fully.

Fashola, on the other end, is entirely about administrative focus and efficiency. Fashola does not have the guile or brawn to be a politician Nigerian-style. To that extent their relationship works as a mutually respectful one. As with every relationship there may be rifts and misunderstandings now and then but these get resolved in the end because the two men involved are relatively intelligent, pragmatic and reasonable.

1 Like

Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by Gbawe: 12:45pm On Dec 07, 2014
barcanista:
what do you think about Alams/Jonathan relationship? Well the thing is when relationship is built on sincerity and "understanding" it will stand the test of time. No Governor wants to play second fiddle in control of the government that he or she heads. Had it been Fashola was/is a politician like Afikuyomi, GOS, Ikuforiji etc the story would have been different, because politicians just like Tinubu will want absolute control of both politicking and governance. In most PDP states their successors are politicians, there is clearly this conflict of interest. This is one reason Bola Tinubu will never support a typical politician to govern Lagos.

Not only Lagos my brother. Of all SW Governors Tinubu helped to power, it is only Aregbesola that can perhaps be viewed as a sagacious political player. Fashola, Ajimobi, Fayemi and Amosun are all entirely about administrative governance.

1 Like

Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 07, 2014
Gbawe:

Indeed. I think Fashola and Tinubu will always be fine because both are motivated by different things that are not mutually exclusive or damaging to their relationship. Tinubu was a competent and visionary Governor whose administrative talent was stifled by the vengeful OBJ Presidency yet it is as a political Godfather and kingmaker that Tinubu came into his own fully.

Fashola, on the other end, is entirely about administrative focus and efficiency. Fashola does not have the guile or brawn to be a politician Nigerian-style. To that extent their relationship works as a mutually respectful one. As with every relationship there may be rifts and misunderstandings now and then but these get resolved in the end because the two men involved are relatively intelligent, pragmatic and reasonable.
Absolutely correct. BAT,Buhari, late Saraki(Snr) and late Adedibu have a way of maintaining political relevance. Some are good, some bad bad but all are political heavyweights.
Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 07, 2014
Gbawe:

Not only Lagos my brother. Of all SW Governors Tinubu helped to power, it is only Aregbesola that can perhaps be viewed as a sagacious political player. Fashola, Ajimobi, Fayemi and Amosun are all entirely about administrative governance.
Aregbesola is the new political heavyweight in SW politics
Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 07, 2014
Tinubu has taken advantage of Fashola's gentility and out smarted him.

Every else is story!

Fashola was really aloof. How can you spend 8years in office without your own political structure and loyalist?
Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by jaytee01(m): 3:36pm On Dec 07, 2014
Ity
mikeansy:
Tinubu has taken advantage of Fashola's gentility and out smarted him.

Every else is story!

Fashola was really aloof. How can you spend 8years in office without your own political structure and loyalist?
It is this obsession with building political structures and cultivating loyalists that is at the root of the alarming corruption and desperation in Nigerian politics!
Almost all political leaders neglect their primary responsibilities in favour of building structures. Rubbish!
Re: Why I Respect Fashola And Tinubu by nationwide1(m): 3:44pm On Dec 07, 2014
barcanista:
As for Alams / Jonathan's relationship for now is fine but who knows what the situation would have been if Jonathan was still ruling in the capacity of a governor, especially considering how Alams was thrown out of government house.

(1) (Reply)

Prof Osinbajo Can Not Stop Gej From Winning This Year Election / Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race / APC Has Received Over N54M Cash Donations For Buhari’s Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.