Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,705 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian (1205 Views)

De­fence Minister In Russia To Buy Arms / US Embargo Forced Jonathan To Buy Arms With Raw Cash –fani-kayode / Nigeria To Buy Arms From Russia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by clara472: 10:24pm On Dec 09, 2014
Strong indications have emerged that Nigeria has reached a deal with Russian authorities as Western nations refuse to sell the country much needed weapons.

Based on the deal, Nigeria will buy arms from Russia to compensate for western nations' refusal to sell the country much-needed weapons.
"Nigeria has officially reached an arms deal with Russian authorities," a senior military officer told The Anadolu Agency on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media on the subject.
According to the officer, a high-level Nigerian delegation led by the air force chief and national security adviser travelled to Russia last week to negotiate the deal.
"Our team returned to Nigeria on Thursday after a four-day trip," he said.
"Russia has now agreed to supply us with arms," asserted the officer. "Henceforth, we are hopeful of getting arms from Russia."
Nigeria is battling a five-year insurgency by the Boko Haram militant group in the country's northeastern region, where more than 13,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed and the local economy brought to its knees.
An emboldened Boko Haram recently stepped up its deadly attacks and seized several areas across Adamawa, Borno and Yobe – the three states worst hit by the insurgency – declaring them part of a self-styled "Islamic caliphate."
There have been complaints that Nigerian troops are using "obsolete" arms while insurgents employ sophisticated weapons.
The Nigerian military is reportedly seeking fighter jets and modern arms to tilt the balance in its favor.
"Basically, what we are buying from Russia are fighter jets," said the army officer.
"Light arms, especially guns of varying powers, can be procured from the black market; but you cannot buy fighter jets from the black market," he explained.
"A war can last many years, if not decades, if both sides rely solely on light arms, which you can get from the black market. In modern warfare, you need air power to establish superiority," said the officer.
Nigerian defense spokesman Chris Olukolade did not respond to AA's requests for comment.
Haram, which first emerged in the early 2000s preaching against government misrule and corruption, became violent after the death of its leader in 2009 while in police custody.
The notorious group has been officially outlawed in Nigeria, Turkey and the United States.
Old allies
Nigeria turned to Russia after failing for months to convince western countries, especially the U.S., to supply it with arms.
"We had to turn to Russia for arms since the U.S. refuses to sell us arms anymore," the senior military officer told AA.
"No country will be allowed to hold us for ransom," he said.
In a recent interview with AA, Nigerian presidential spokesman Reuben Abati said his country was ready to seal a counterinsurgency cooperation deal with any country willing to help its battle against Boko Haram.
It is not the first time Russia and Nigeria have had a defense arrangement.
The now-defunct Soviet Union had supplied arms to Nigeria during the country's 30-month civil war with renegade Biafra soldiers.
Most western nations sat on the fence during the conflict.
The U.S. a few days ago announced it was discontinuing training for the Nigerian military, a decision Washington said had come at Nigeria's request.
The U.S. described the Nigerian decision as "regrettable."
Nigeria-U.S. relations have foundered recently following American criticisms of Nigeria's handling of the ongoing Boko Haram insurgency.
U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria James Entwistle exacerbated the problem three months ago when he publicly said his country would not sell arms to Nigeria due to fears of human rights abuses by the country's security agencies.
Tempers flared again in November when a top Nigerian envoy to the U.S. brazenly accused Washington of sabotaging Nigeria's counterinsurgency efforts by refusing to sell it much-needed arms.
Source: .com.ng
Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by simplemach(m): 10:27pm On Dec 09, 2014
Them never still buy am? Since we don dey hear say dem want buy arms from russia na.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by 9inches(m): 10:30pm On Dec 09, 2014
Do they need my permission to do so? *hisses*
Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by manutdadex(m): 10:42pm On Dec 09, 2014
buyin of arms is different from buyin garri or pepper in d market, it takes time. We sa like quick fix
Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by wirinet(m): 10:53pm On Dec 09, 2014
manutdadex:
buyin of arms is different from buyin garri or pepper in d market, it takes time. We sa like quick fix

Please enlighten us on buying of arms. How much time does it take? The insurgency had been going on for five years, Boko Haram had been at war with Nigeria for about 2 years. They have invaded and annexed Nigerian territories for over a year, trillions of Naira had been budgeted for defense yearly for the past 3 years, the National assembly had approved the loan of N1 billion to purchase arms over two months ago, and the government is still telling us that that they are planning to buy arms from Russia. So please tell us how much time is needed to actually buy the arms and have it delivered to Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by manutdadex(m): 10:59pm On Dec 09, 2014
wirinet:

Please enlighten us on buying of arms. How much time does it take? The insurgency had been going on for five years, Boko Haram had been at war with Nigeria for about 2 years. They have invaded and annexed Nigerian territories for over a year, trillions of Naira had been budgeted for defense yearly for the past 3 years, the National assembly had approved the loan of N1 billion to purchase arms over two months ago, and the government is still telling us that that they are planning to buy arms from Russia. So please tell us how much time is needed to actually buy the arms and have it delivered to Nigeria?
no vex abeg o, take it easy bro! International trades btw countries of any type takes time..mode of payment, wat u want to buy, logistics reasons even political issues go follow...even to get a generator frm aliexpress down to naija takes days!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 09, 2014
simplemach:
Them never still buy am? Since we don dey hear say dem want buy arms from russia na.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by wirinet(m): 7:14am On Dec 10, 2014
manutdadex:
no vex abeg o, take it easy bro! International trades btw countries of any type takes time..mode of payment, wat u want to buy, logistics reasons even political issues go follow...even to get a generator frm aliexpress down to naija takes days!

I not vex, i just need answers. And you have digressed from my question. I asked how long does it take to buy arms from another country? you only gave an estimate on how long it takes to get a generator from aliexpress.

How come the government is still planning to buy arms from Russia after 5 years of insurgency and when will the plan turn to actuality?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Arms And Ammunition From Russian by manutdadex(m): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2014
wirinet:

I not vex, i just need answers. And you have digressed from my question. I asked how long does it take to buy arms from another country? you only gave an estimate on how long it takes to get a generator from aliexpress.

How come the government is still planning to buy arms from Russia after 5 years of insurgency and when will the plan turn to actuality?
Nigeria and russia's arms trade negotiation jst start some weeks ago, we deal mainly wit d U.S. So guy relax, its a new diplomatic relationship btw both countries.i cant tell u d number of wks but it wil b faster now

(1) (Reply)

Why Are So Many Blogs Using My Picture? / Pastor Adeboye - I Hate Politicians..they Are Liars / The Real Agenda Of APC Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.