Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,319 members, 7,957,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:31 PM

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad (23725 Views)

15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 11, 2014
Hadewahlay:
http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/15-things-nigerians-miss-living-abroad/
how about 10 Things Nigerians
Miss While Living
In Nigeria? I miss none of what you listed above whenever am not in Nigeria. This list is laughable.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by ghetto101(m): 11:26pm On Dec 11, 2014
Surely there's no place like home,i miss the street food,i miss the local things u can get from the street,i miss my family, friends but still speak my oh boy how far,b4 i park my car i dey check well well becos this pple no de play with that one.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Lucasbalo(m): 11:26pm On Dec 11, 2014
I miss nothing in Nigeria except my parents and they come to Chitown every summer. Visit Nigeria 2 to 3 times a year for work and Xmas vacation , so I don't miss much.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by KMB: 11:31pm On Dec 11, 2014
Lagos Driving
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by BlueMagic2(m): 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2014
raayah:

Maybe you can google search.

I already did but can't find none
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2014
lastchild:
All my friends abroad always sing the praises about where they are ,wishing they never come back to nigeria,I have a cousin whom Whenever I ping with him will always cry how he miss nigeria

Always give me list about things he miss,what top the list for him is the lack of "approaching any girl you see" like it is done in nigeria or else you get arrested for sexual harassment

He says everyone living abroad who said he/she has nothing he miss about nigeria is a big liar

I don't know how true it is cause I have friends living abroad as well who wishes they never come back, could they be lying?
The guy no like coded tinz? cheesy
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by ghetto101(m): 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2014
loneliness don hold u b4?the first month left naija,one day i sat down n i was crying.when u walk arround the street alone,u cant speak the language,u can't communicate,my brother i came to nigeria early this yr i wanted to stay 4 a month n 2 weeks i got tiredi have to change my return ticket but after 2 weeks leaving naija i will like going back again.there's no place like home
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by tpraiz(m): 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2014
They r nt going 4ever::::::::ar they??
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 11, 2014
OP you're so on point. I actually miss everything here. embarassed cry
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by mrbyron(m): 11:40pm On Dec 11, 2014
As a guy man you will miss the endless supply of chics's at your disposal in naija as compared to what obtains abroad

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by sonnie10: 11:54pm On Dec 11, 2014
I missed the younger ones calling me brother or uncle. Here, a day old child calls you by your first name.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:55pm On Dec 11, 2014
I miss this grin grin
6. Lagos bus
conductors
Photo Source: Bankole Oluwafemi
on Flickr
Even though, bus conductors in
Lagos can be annoying, you can’t
but miss the way they behave
especially when they have a
disagreement with someone in the
bus. It’s always an interesting and
memorable scenario.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by chidexxy007(m): 12:11am On Dec 12, 2014
wat abt d draft joints n shekpe joints...... dose 1 na im person go miss pass
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 12, 2014
mrbyron:
As a guy man you will miss the endless supply of chics's at your disposal in naija as compared to what obtains abroad
How? There are ladies everywhere.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 12, 2014
I miss all these and a lot more.

As I am, I seek Okazi now. The taste and aroma in egusi soup with Opkoroko and Snails. They have spinach (epinards) but that vegetable no fit African Soup at all. Used it once to make egusi. Whosai! The thing no bo si at all! Their ''shaki'' and ''roundabout'' (tripes) they preserve in packets with wine and other stuff like carrot in it. Who will cook soup with that? definitely not me. Been to Saint Cyprian (a place here in Toulouse where there are some African shops run by Indians and a Sudanese). No Okazi. I dey even suspect the palm oil color. The plantain they have is ''forced ripe''.

In fact. We take these little things for granted. I miss talking to a total stranger at the BRT queue. I miss talking to ladies also at bus stops or in the sweaty tight buses from CMS to V.I. Here they cover up their ears with earphones in the bus. In my opinion I used to feel at times that they are very sad people who fear responsibility hence they decide to be for themselves and themselves alone.

There is a long list of things I miss. Very long list.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by tonte(m): 12:38am On Dec 12, 2014
out of all that you listed...persoanlly, only food that I miss...
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 12:43am On Dec 12, 2014
i miss only Christmas holidays and my maternal Grandama embarassed
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by ProBlack03(m): 12:45am On Dec 12, 2014
SirHouloo:

Is Joburg abroad?
Dem dey talk about better places like Europe and America.
Na Accra U for talk na.

LOOOOOL FCK...DIS GOT ME ROLLING ON D FLOOR!!!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by ProBlack03(m): 12:47am On Dec 12, 2014
I miss the beer parlours and pepper soup joints

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by a2personal2013: 12:48am On Dec 12, 2014
I am very happy that topics like this made it to the front page. Its only on issues like this that Nigerians act as one regardless of our political, religious and/or tribal affilations. You will not appreciate other tribes, religions until you are far from home where the Ibo man sees the Hausa man as his only brother and trusted ally and vice versa.

The list though comprehensive is not exhaustive. I miss the food, smell and especially the friendly Nigerian weather. If you live here where the temperature this winter cries between -15 degree and -1 degree celsius , you will wish you were in Naija.

No matter where we are, home is home and Naija will always be my home. I love Naija......

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Judie7654(f): 12:58am On Dec 12, 2014
I sincerely miss all of this. Nigeria is the real ish mehn..I won't miss coming home 2015 for anything mehn.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by sonnie10: 1:14am On Dec 12, 2014
dabriggs:
I miss all these and a lot more.

As I am, I seek Okazi now. The taste and aroma in egusi soup with Opkoroko and Snails. They have spinach (epinards) but that vegetable no fit African Soup at all. Used it once to make egusi. Whosai! The thing no bo si at all! Their ''shaki'' and ''roundabout'' (tripes) they preserve in packets with wine and other stuff like carrot in it. Who will cook soup with that? definitely not me. Been to Saint Cyprian (a place here in Toulouse where there are some African shops run by Indians and a Sudanese). No Okazi. I dey even suspect the palm oil color. The plantain they have is ''forced ripe''.

In fact. We take these little things for granted. I miss talking to a total stranger at the BRT queue. I miss talking to ladies also at bus stops or in the sweaty tight buses from CMS to V.I. Here they cover up their ears with earphones in the bus. In my opinion I used to feel at times that they are very sad people who fear responsibility hence they decide to be for themselves and themselves alone.

There is a long list of things I miss. Very long list.

Try Kale vegetable instead of spinach. After cutting, soak it in hot water for a about 10 minute and drain the water completely. It taste just like pumpkin (ugu) leaf. For the meat, buying a whole goat from the farm is better, about ($250), you can share one with somebody. The farmer will roast it and cut the meat into usable sizes.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by hendrixxx(m): 1:19am On Dec 12, 2014
on point
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:22am On Dec 12, 2014
I miss my friends.Roasted corn,suya,those fine fine eligible guys for my side,huzzling in the market.I don't miss most things,like careless talk and bullyings

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by lastchild: 2:25am On Dec 12, 2014
CFCfan:

The guy no like coded tinz? cheesy
according to him even if you do it in a coded way there are chances that the girl will get you arrested if she's in a bad mood
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 12, 2014
This list is mostly off point apart from owambe and vernacular

For me it is:

1. Nigerian food. When you eat western (or worse Asian) food for a few months at a time, no one will tell you to miss Oha/egusi/ogbolo soup..
2. Ability to pay police off for any traffic offence (in fact almost any crime), even one way in the night on highway with one headlight..
3. Owambe. One can actually plan his entire weekend's meals based on stranger's functions. Just dress well to avoid embarassment
4. Interaction. Whether na to toast babe or just a fellow guy speak pidgin with, this one can descend into full blown loneliness
5. Cheap Labor: With 40k a month, you will get maid + driver + maiguard...

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 12, 2014
lastchild:
according to him even if you do it in a coded way there are chances that the girl will get you arrested if she's in a bad mood
Especially if she's non-Black

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by lastchild: 2:35am On Dec 12, 2014
CFCfan:

Especially if she's non-Black
yes he's talking about white girls because according to him he lives in a white dominated area
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by sonnie10: 2:36am On Dec 12, 2014
why is every packaged Nigerian food item, for example garri, pounded yam, palm oil, crayfish, semovita, farrina etc you find in African stores in the US mostly made in Ghana? Can't we produce export quality packaged food items in Nigeria? Or are there some other factors

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:37am On Dec 12, 2014
lastchild:
yes he's talking about white girls because according to him he lives in a white dominated area
I thought as much. An African male has to be super-gentlemanly before most White ladies even say "hello" to him.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by IamOpemipo(m): 3:07am On Dec 12, 2014
Nairaland
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by zeezahbee(f): 4:07am On Dec 12, 2014
Damn!!! i miss naija. am speechless

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ladies: How Do You React To A Guy (stranger) Who Pays Your Keke Fare? / 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row / Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 9)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.