Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,566 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad (23595 Views)

15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by zeezahbee(f): 4:12am On Dec 12, 2014
CFCfan:

How? There are ladies everywhere.
yes there are ladies everywhere especially all this akata but you can not force sex or else you end up in a freaking jail. I can go to a guy's house and be 99% sure he wont rape me. ;,
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 4:19am On Dec 12, 2014
zeezahbee:
yes there are ladies everywhere especially all this akata but you can not force sex or else you end up in a freaking jail. I can go to a guy's house and be 99% sure he wont rape me. ;,
Right. Are u saying it's easier for guys to force sex on girls in Naija?
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 4:23am On Dec 12, 2014
dabriggs:
I miss all these and a lot more.

As I am, I seek Okazi now. The taste and aroma in egusi soup with Opkoroko and Snails. They have spinach (epinards) but that vegetable no fit African Soup at all. Used it once to make egusi. Whosai! The thing no bo si at all! Their ''shaki'' and ''roundabout'' (tripes) they preserve in packets with wine and other stuff like carrot in it. Who will cook soup with that? definitely not me. Been to Saint Cyprian (a place here in Toulouse where there are some African shops run by Indians and a Sudanese). No Okazi. I dey even suspect the palm oil color. The plantain they have is ''forced ripe''.

In fact. We take these little things for granted. I miss talking to a total stranger at the BRT queue. I miss talking to ladies also at bus stops or in the sweaty tight buses from CMS to V.I. Here they cover up their ears with earphones in the bus[b]. In my opinion I used to feel at times that they are very sad people who fear responsibility hence they decide to be for themselves and themselves alone. [/b]

There is a long list of things I miss. Very long list.

There is a Sudanese man (i guess he is Sudanese ) very tall, like a giant selling most African food. He has okazi in his fridge, he speaks English too. Try and describe what you are looking for .
The okazi is usually cut very tiny, hopefully you will know it when you see it.

He has roasted cow head, tail ,oporoko etc.

For snails,I doubt you will see the big ones, just go to Carrefour or any big department store and get their frozen tiny snails. The difference is just the size. Palm oil , fufu, garri etc get in African shop.

For your cow trip (round about) ask the Sudanese man for a butcher around. You are sure to get what every you need there or by booking.
Food shouldn't be a problem to you in Toulouse.

As for the second bolded, they are not sad, they are just trying to focus on other things, due to work pattern it could be their only time to think and reduce stress.

Try making friends with people you have same interest with. Bar, church, gym etc

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by curiousmind11: 4:50am On Dec 12, 2014
lastchild:
All my friends abroad always sing the praises about where they are ,wishing they never come back to nigeria,I have a cousin whom Whenever I ping with him will always cry how he miss nigeria

Always give me list about things he miss,what top the list for him is the lack of "approaching any girl you see" like it is done in nigeria or else you get arrested for sexual harassment

He says everyone living abroad who said he/she has nothing he miss about nigeria is a big liar

I don't know how true it is cause I have friends living abroad as well who wishes they never come back, could they be lying?

Those your friends are lying or would say, they are pretending to make you feel jealous. A lot of things are good in most developed countries, but it is very ordered, yet many people miss our free-style back home. The truth is those things they miss abroad are not strong enough to bring them back.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Pointnoire(m): 4:55am On Dec 12, 2014
As a Cotonou Resident smiley smiley the only thing i miss for 9ja na Family and Friends,you get to a certain age to make new friends de hard every other thing on this una list i no miss ..........Abi Cotonou no qualify to be abroad e gba mi !!! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by curiousmind11: 5:01am On Dec 12, 2014
sonnie10:
why is every packaged Nigerian food item, for example garri, pounded yam, palm oil, crayfish, semovita, farrina etc you find in African stores in the US mostly made in Ghana? Can't we produce export quality packaged food items in Nigeria? Or are there some other factors

Very genuine and worrying question. All the palm oil I have bought over many years, non is from Nigeria. Either Ghana or Malaysia
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by unmask: 5:41am On Dec 12, 2014
Hadewahlay:
http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/15-things-nigerians-miss-living-abroad/
op seems you are yet to hear of lastma and frsc? Oya nah go Park illegally..... Abeg which Nigerian soap you dey talk of? Klin abi ariel?
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by oc2fish: 5:49am On Dec 12, 2014
How about cheap sex, In Malaysia a good night with a darky will cost 300 to 500 Rm. While a Filipino Vietnamese come between 250 to 1000 depending on softication. All by 56 will give you the naira equivalent.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by iamord(m): 6:01am On Dec 12, 2014
curiousmind11:

Very genuine and worrying question. All the palm oil I have bought over many years, non is from Nigeria. Either Ghana or Malaysia
some try to export but the problem is that they don't always meet the export criteria..if you taste the different countries own u will see the difference . That's why a lot of African products cannot sell on the western worlds shelves. We need to add more quality, value and work more on branding.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Richy4(m): 6:09am On Dec 12, 2014
I missed number 7 big time. Expecially the one spoken by my friends from Delta.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by acenazt: 6:31am On Dec 12, 2014
suxes2005:
Nice list.

But there are small shops in Joburg that looks
like Mallam's own

~ Sheyi
is jobug in Europe?
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by allcomage: 6:46am On Dec 12, 2014
Mostly to Igbo,pear and corn,bitter leaf soup rtc grin
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by suxes2005(m): 7:01am On Dec 12, 2014
SirHouloo:

Is Joburg abroad?
Dem dey talk about better places like Europe and America.
Na Accra U for talk na.

Small small nah, at least nah the abroad
wey me go be that nah.

acenazt:
is jobug in Europe?

Lol. The OP said living abroad and not
Europe nah

~ Sheyi

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by acenazt: 7:05am On Dec 12, 2014
suxes2005:

Small small nah, at least nah the abroad
wey me go be that nah.

Lol. The OP said living abroad and not
Europe nah

~ Sheyi
most of the things the o.p mentioned can be found in joburg. African communities are similar.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by iiiyyyk(m): 7:11am On Dec 12, 2014
I miss daily stress n traffic jams
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Awaja(m): 7:58am On Dec 12, 2014
At d end
Nigeria is a lovely/ humorous country to live in,
Sincerely, in my next life(if there is),I'll chose to be deployed in Nigeria again & again bt definitely not in d north..

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by IYANGBALI: 8:24am On Dec 12, 2014
ireneony:
Please change the topic to the things lagonians miss while living abroad. Why must u single out Lagos bus only and most of the things u mentioned are synonymous to Yoruba people.undecided
jeluxy,shedi is jeluxing us grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by evmandy(f): 8:39am On Dec 12, 2014
Food should b number one on this list
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by tivta(m): 8:51am On Dec 12, 2014
Atk01:
Miss Suya too.
girls and suya, na wa oh.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by loomer: 9:43am On Dec 12, 2014
I no de miss anything
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:11pm On Dec 12, 2014
OP, how can you miss out the food?!
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 12, 2014
And I quote
"In Nigeria, you can park an airplane
on the street without stress"..I swear na this 1 mek sense pass! grin.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by ejiboy1(m): 2:59pm On Dec 12, 2014
Miss Monkey-Post wink
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by sonnie10: 5:45pm On Dec 12, 2014
iamord:
some try to export but the problem is that they don't always meet the export criteria..if you taste the different countries own u will see the difference . That's why a lot of African products cannot sell on the western worlds shelves. We need to add more quality, value and work more on branding.

Can you compare flourmills semovita, Ola iyan, gold custard, etc to those ones you find in the store here? My answer is no. Those Nigeria products are of higher quality. Yet, they are not on the shelves here. Quality alone might not be the only problem, there is more to it. I suspect that there are parts of the export process in other African countries that gives them a competitive advantage over Nigeria.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 12, 2014
Chillisauce:

There is a Sudanese man (i guess he is Sudanese ) very tall, like a giant selling most African food. He has okazi in his fridge, he speaks English too. Try and describe what you are looking for .
The okazi is usually cut very tiny, hopefully you will know it when you see it.

He has roasted cow head, tail ,oporoko etc.

For snails,I doubt you will see the big ones, just go to Carrefour or any big department store and get their frozen tiny snails. The difference is just the size. Palm oil , fufu, garri etc get in African shop.

For your cow trip (round about) ask the Sudanese man for a butcher around. You are sure to get what every you need there or by booking.
Food shouldn't be a problem to you in Toulouse.

As for the second bolded, they are not sad, they are just trying to focus on other things, due to work pattern it could be their only time to think and reduce stress.

Try making friends with people you have same interest with. Bar, church, gym etc

Yeah you are right the Sudanese guy is quite tall. In fact I used to wonder if he stands on a platform or something.Also, he has more stocks but the Indians seem to sell a little bit cheaper. For instance, He sells Sulphur-8 hair cream for 9 euros or so while I got it from the Indians for about 8 euros. In Carrefour they do have fresh tripes not preserved in things like wine. They also have some stuff like liver etc.. They have some seafoods too which is great for an Ijaw man like me. I DO NOT TRUST THE PALM OIL IN THOSE SHOPS IN SAINT CYPRIAN. I do not like their color and look. But who knows. I will spend a couple of euros to see if they will turn out good in a pot of soup.

To me they are lonely people. Very lonely. There is no stress in France that can be as much as Lagos. Yet we still smile. Truly Nigerians could possibly be the worlds happiest and most optimistic people. As for friends, make them stay abeg. I no want. The things wey I dey think pass them.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 12, 2014
sonnie10:

Try Kale vegetable instead of spinach. After cutting, soak it in hot water for a about 10 minute and drain the water completely. It taste just like pumpkin (ugu) leaf. For the meat, buying a whole goat from the farm is better, about ($250), you can share one with somebody. The farmer will roast it and cut the meat into usable sizes.

Oh ok. Cool. Thanks. Problem is my apartment is a studio and the kitchenette has but a little fridge and storage cabinets. And so my boxes of cereal and stuff have taken up everywhere already. smiley . Secondly I do not think that there are farms around where I reside. Besides nobody to share with even if I wanted to. I will keep buying meat from the shopping center around me. I'll try to find the French for ''Kale'' and see if I can find it here in France. That will be good. Very good. Thanks once again.

Meanwhile, I cook agbona soup o. Make una come chop.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 12, 2014
oc2fish:
How about cheap sex, In Malaysia a good night with a darky will cost 300 to 500 Rm. While a Filipino Vietnamese come between 250 to 1000 depending on softication. All by 56 will give you the naira equivalent.

smiley smiley smiley smiley

I no miss this one o. I go manage.

Besides if I convert am sef with your conversion factor (multiplying by 56 abi?), e no cheap. grin grin

Thirdly, life Toulouse is a little bit different from Malaysia.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 12, 2014
a2personal2013:
I am very happy that topics like this made it to the front page. Its only on issues like this that Nigerians act as one regardless of our political, religious and/or tribal affilations. You will not appreciate other tribes, religions until you are far from home where the Ibo man sees the Hausa man as his only brother and trusted ally and vice versa.

The list though comprehensive is not exhaustive. I miss the food, smell and especially the friendly Nigerian weather. If you live here where the temperature this winter cries between -15 degree and -1 degree celsius , you will wish you were in Naija.

Not matter where we are, home is home and Naija will always be my home. I love Naija......

See infact if I see a Nigerian now, regardless of where you are from, I will jump on you and hug you and kiss your cheek! Now multiply that reaction by two if na Nigerian babe.

I see Ghanaian here sef the other day, see happiness say I see person to speak English with. How much more Nigerian. I went for residence permit validation and met a Kenyan guy. Quite a cool dude. See as I dey happy say I see person to speak English with. I mean don't get me wrong my Masters Program is FULLY in English, but outside the class it is something else.

Now people here want me to learn French because it is an international language bla bla bla...I am not interested! I pick up a few words for day to day living. But I am not interested in French. I do not need it in my C.V. No. My success does not depend on French Language. Besides I am gainfully employed in Nigeria but on a study leave. I will rather learn a new software or programming language.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by israeloke4(m): 9:29pm On Dec 12, 2014
all nah poverty,who no want good thing,who no won travel abroad.
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 12, 2014
Spikesc, oya come and talk cheesy
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by spikesC(m): 9:45pm On Dec 12, 2014
Tashamania:

Ora soup, Bitter leaf soup, fufu made directly from cassava stick not processed cassava powder, hot night clubs where people actually dance sad

Women with well shaped waist lipsrsealed
Re: 10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad by spikesC(m): 9:50pm On Dec 12, 2014
Tashamania:

Continued...

Abacha with very tall fish tail embarassed
Bush meat and original palm wine not that sugar coated nonsense in London angry

Iya basira early morning rice with ofe akwu.

My friends, ndi ma way cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 9) / Nigerian Priest, 199 Others Escape As SAA Flight Develops Fault Midair / Photos Of Tragic Accident Along Abeokuta-shagamu Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.