Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,100 members, 7,953,350 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:51 PM

Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? (1262 Views)

ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by morningsta(m): 2:51am On Dec 12, 2014
Hello Nairalanders, I need help from experienced car users. Can good tyres become bad because they were unused for like a year? They tyres were bought in brand new condition. The car was parked for a year with the tyres on it.

Mode, kindly move to front page as this thread could save lives this festive season.
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by mumumugu(m): 3:24am On Dec 12, 2014
Yes,if rat chop am
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by economia: 5:00am On Dec 12, 2014
Tyre expires after two years of production, either used or not. The production date is written toward the ream. The first number is week and the second is the year
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:22am On Dec 12, 2014
economia:
Tyre expires after two years of production, either used or not. The production date is written toward the ream. The first number is week and the second is the year

I'm sure you are misinformed.

2 Likes

Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by Ploy(m): 6:32am On Dec 12, 2014
Tyres expire and parked vehicle weakens tyres. You can consult an experienced vulcaniser in your area.

Enjoy your festivity
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 12, 2014
economia:

Hian! Na wa o! This is the biggest tyre fallacy I've come across in recent time.
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 12, 2014
morningsta:
Hello Nairalanders, I need help from experienced car users.

1) Can good tyres become bad because they were unused for like a year?

2) They tyres were bought in brand new condition. The car was parked for a year with the tyres on it.

Mode, kindly move to front page as this thread could save lives this festive season.

1) Go bad yes but not expired. So if yo park the car on the concrete and unmoved for one year then it can develop a flat spot on the contact surface. Also depending on how it faces the sun it may have cracking.

2) Even a brand new tire could already be compromised. I only buy my tires from TireRack.Com, they're big enough that they rotate their stock very quickly.

1 Like

Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by ogawisdom(m): 4:18pm On Dec 12, 2014
economia:

Dnt say wat u dnt kw. Tyres last frm 4 to 6yrs other things being equal.
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 12, 2014
morningsta:
Hello Nairalanders, I need help from experienced car users. Can good tyres become bad because they were unused for like a year? They tyres were bought in brand new condition. The car was parked for a year with the tyres on it.

even brand new tyres get bad if not properly kept.
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by AutosBay(m): 10:50pm On Dec 12, 2014
After two years the tire loses about 20% of it's qualities and by the age of three it reaches about 50%. An appropriate age for tire replacement is thus between the age of 3 and 4, unless worn down earlier by damage or milleage.

Reference: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110414213003AA0SiGH
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by smooth2005(m): 1:51am On Mar 03, 2015
economia:

I dey laugh here...
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by clemz85(m): 7:51am On Mar 03, 2015
economia:

please 4 years
Re: Can Unused Tyres Become Bad After A Year? by morningsta(m): 11:46pm On Mar 03, 2015
Thank you all for your kind advise and contributions. I made my trip from Abuja to Lagos with the same tyres and I am still using the same tyres to date.

(1) (Reply)

Reliability, Maintenance & Availabilty Of Accesories For Lincoln MKX 2007 Model / I Need This CAR? / Could This Ever Be Possible In Nigeria???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.