Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

My Tribal Marks - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Tribal Marks (12970 Views)

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / How Can I Get Rid Of My Tribal Marks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Tribal Marks by Funkky123: 11:07pm On Dec 05, 2008
I need help. Ve got tribal marks on my face and it's killed my confidence.
Pretty young lady based in UK, seen all sorts, either they dont treat black skin or I pay loads of money but no results, the marks are still there.

This is straight from my heart, I am turning into a recluse, ps help!!!
Re: My Tribal Marks by MrCrackles(m): 11:08pm On Dec 05, 2008
Oh dear!!!
Re: My Tribal Marks by KarmaMod(f): 11:09pm On Dec 05, 2008
skin grafts?
Re: My Tribal Marks by nana(f): 11:10pm On Dec 05, 2008
MrCrackles:

Oh dear!!!
grin
Re: My Tribal Marks by nana(f): 11:11pm On Dec 05, 2008
Funkky123:

Pretty young lady based in UK, seen all sorts, either they don't treat black skin or I pay loads of money but no results, the marks are still there.

Galfriend,just be confident yeah. It's not like peeps are running away from u,abi?
Re: My Tribal Marks by MrCrackles(m): 11:12pm On Dec 05, 2008
undecided
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 11:18pm On Dec 05, 2008
The number of tribal marks thread on nairaland is becoming alarming.
@ poster, learn to accept yourself.It was the ignorance of your family members but it's not the end of the world.
Look at the singer Seal who I think is sexy,he has 2 horrible scars on both cheeks but he didn't let it stop him.
Those who love you will love you and those who don't won't.
Why worry about what you may not be able to change?

I don';t have tribal marks but I'm sure there are people who view me differently because I'm a black woman.
There's nothing you cannot achieve,irrespective of the marks.
Hold your head up high and aim for greatness.Don't let the marks on your face,the color of your skin,your accent or your height,weight define you.
Get a good education and strive to excel in your field and gain mastery and respect in your little area.
You don't have to hide.There's a whole big world out there,don't let time pass you by.
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 11:22pm On Dec 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

skin grafts?

sometimes it makes it worse.There are some deep groovy marks that have a darker color and those are virtually impossible to repair and that's what a lot of people who are turned away have.
I hope that campaign by Osun state really works because those practices have to stop.
The face is the first thing people see.
It's harder on women than on men.
Women have loads to deal with already and to add this to it.
This ignorance has to stop.It serves absolutely no purpose.
Re: My Tribal Marks by DavidDylan(m): 11:30pm On Dec 05, 2008
Kweenisha:

The number of tribal marks thread on nairaland is becoming alarming.
@ poster, learn to accept yourself.It was the ignorance of your family members but it's not the end of the world.
Look at the singer Seal who I think is sexy,he has 2 horrible scars on both cheeks but he didn't let it stop him.
Those who love you will love you and those who don't won't.
Why worry about what you may not be able to change?

I don';t have tribal marks but I'm sure there are people who view me differently because I'm a black woman.
There's nothing you cannot achieve,irrespective of the marks.
Hold your head up high and aim for greatness.Don't let the marks on your face,the color of your skin,your accent or your height,weight define you.
Get a good education and strive to excel in your field and gain mastery and respect in your little area.
You don't have to hide.There's a whole big world out there,don't let time pass you by.

Queen all this one na story.
1. Seal is a multimillionaire singer, if he were just a poor naija fellow Heidi Klum would never have married him.

2. I can understand Funky's situation . . . very few men (especially based abroad) would be willing to risk being seen with a woman with tribal marks for wife, again especially depending on the kind of men Funky is interested in.

3. Funky, try out plastic surgery as a last resort.
Re: My Tribal Marks by nana(f): 11:32pm On Dec 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

Queen all this one na story.
1. Seal is a multimillionaire singer, if he were just a poor naija fellow Heidi Klum would never have married him.

2. I can understand Funky's situation . . . very few men (especially based abroad) would be willing to risk being seen with a woman with tribal marks for wife, again especially depending on the kind of men Funky is interested in.

3. Funky, try out plastic surgery as a last resort.
What if she cant afford to pay for plastic surgery?
Re: My Tribal Marks by bettes(f): 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2008
Funkky dont let the fact that you have tribal marks make self conscious,accept yourself for whom you are and learn to love yourself.
Re: My Tribal Marks by DavidDylan(m): 11:57pm On Dec 05, 2008
nana:

What if she can't afford to pay for plastic surgery?

then she go manage am like that o.
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 12:05am On Dec 06, 2008
David thank God you don't have tribal marks grin

why can't they give the marks somewhere on the buttocks or stomach area.
why not on the temple where they could be covered up with hair.
Why on the face?
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 12:07am On Dec 06, 2008
Funkky123:

Pretty young lady based in UK, seen all sorts, either they don't treat black skin or I pay loads of money but no results, the marks are still there.

You have to accept what you can't change.
Re: My Tribal Marks by nana(f): 12:08am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

David thank God you don't have tribal marks grin

why can't they give the marks somewhere on the buttocks or stomach area.
why not on the temple where they could be covered up with hair.
Why on the face?
lmao grin
Re: My Tribal Marks by tpia: 2:11am On Dec 06, 2008
Re: My Tribal Marks by gamerod: 2:13am On Dec 06, 2008
Poster

Na now i know say craZE they worry you - abi wetin una think?
Re: My Tribal Marks by LadyT(f): 2:14am On Dec 06, 2008
How deep are the marks and how many?

I would not worry.  Its very sad some people are still stupid enough to slash peoples faces like this.  Buts its no big deal.  Dont think about it.  Its the person you are that counts.

If you make a big deal of them so will others!
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 2:25am On Dec 06, 2008
tpia:

going by nairaland one would think tribal marks are as common as garri, in the western part of Nigeria.

Never mind the fact that I DO NOT know anyone among my dad's contemporaries who has tribal marks. In spite of the fact that most of them had parents who werent educated.

But thanks to nairaland, I now know tribal marks are the norm among the Yoruba, and Yorubas without tribal marks are extremely rare. They're the exception and they're viewed as being abnormal.

when I was younger, I had one teacher with tribal marks. She was also happily married to a rich guy, by the way. Since then, I've seen people with tribal marks here and there (maybe up to 8 over the past 16 years), but never as commonly as one would think going by nairaland. I don't know sha, there may be people who only meet tribally marked Yorubas- it depends I guess.

@ OP: post a picture of your tribal marks, if you can get one on the web.

If it was such that a state placed a ban on it and proposed punishment for parents who do it to their kids.It must not be that rare.
Re: My Tribal Marks by tpia: 2:32am On Dec 06, 2008
Re: My Tribal Marks by arramyjay: 2:41am On Dec 06, 2008
go for laser surgery it is painful.
Re: My Tribal Marks by ChinenyeN(m): 3:30am On Dec 06, 2008
The practice of tribal marks is fading away. It is like the issue of Osu in Igboland. I don't really think people have anything to worry about now-a-days. I do not know for sure, but I suppose that tribal marks arose from the need to permanently link someone to his/her village community. Like an ID Badge. Now that we have other methods of identification, tribal marks are no longer necessary. I don't really see it as being an issue of some kind of abominable act on humanity or not. It's more of an issue of necessity. It's no longer necessary, and because of that, it will fade away. All people need is education to understand that there are other methods of identification. I don't believe that banning the practice will really change much either. Maybe people will get fined here and there. Maybe people will be thrown into jail here and there, but once the process is done, it's done. Just educate the people about modernization, and necessity. Calling them ignorant won't change anything. If anything, the word ignorance may make matters worse on a more subtle, emotional, psychological level. "Ignorance" has taken on a very negative connotation these days. If nothing else, just say that they need to be educated. In all honesty, I see nothing wrong with tribal marks. I do see that it is no longer necessary, though. So I can, in a way, see how it can be justifiable to want to get rid of the practice.

Another thing is, there are white people, asian people, people of all kinds that actively put themselves through scarification. They scar their faces, backs, hands, arms, legs, you name it (for reasons similar to the reason for tribal markings, or just for the fun of it). I understand the issue is slightly different because the person that has tribal marks did not choose to have the tribal marks, but complaining about the tribal marks doesn't change anything.

In reference to Seal, DavidDylan, I doubt Seal started out his life as a multimillionaire singer. I'm not sure of the origin of his scars, but if he got them before his career, then that's even more of a reason for people to not complain. We live in a world, and age, where people understand that others can contribute regardless of what's on their face, what's in their hearts, or what they look like. I don't mean to be rude, but if you have tribal marks, then I'm sorry, but it's too late for you. If you do not like them, then just don't give your children tribal marks, that is, if you intend on having children. It's really that simple. If you don't have tribal marks and you don't like the practice, then just take the initiative to help educate others about modernization and necessity. It's really that simple.

No offense meant to anyone.
Re: My Tribal Marks by bawomolo(m): 3:34am On Dec 06, 2008
seal got his scars from a skin disease.
Re: My Tribal Marks by ChinenyeN(m): 3:35am On Dec 06, 2008
bawomolo:

seal got his scars from a skin disease.

Oh okay. Thank you.
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 3:39am On Dec 06, 2008
ChinenyeN:

In reference to Seal, DavidDylan, I doubt Seal started out his life as a multimillionaire singer. I'm not sure of the origin of his scars, but if he got them before his career, then that's even more of a reason for people to not complain. We live in a world, and age, where people understand that others can contribute regardless of what's on their face, what's in their hearts, or what they look like. I don't mean to be rude, but if you have tribal marks, then I'm sorry, but it's too late for you. If you do not like them, then just don't give your children tribal marks, that is, if you intend on having children. It's really that simple. If you don't have tribal marks and you don't like the practice, then just take the initiative to help educate others about modernization and necessity. It's really that simple.

No offense meant to anyone.

Seal's marks were from an autoimmune disease and they appeared when he was in his early 20's and unknown but it never stopped him from building a music career.
the poster cannot let anything stop her.
The world is not kind to people without self confidence and she'll be treated based on how she portrays herself.
Re: My Tribal Marks by ChinenyeN(m): 3:45am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

Seal's marks were from an autoimmune disease and they appeared when he was in his early 20's and unknown but it never stopped him from building a music career.
The world is not kind to people without self confidence and she'll be treated based on how she portrays herself.

Very true. I should have added that in my post.
Re: My Tribal Marks by DavidDylan(m): 3:45am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

Seal is a millionaire . . . the poster is not. Big diff.
If the poster had $500m in her account today i doubt she'd be worried even if she had 92 tribal marks on her face. She'd be here asking us for help in whittling down her list of suitors.
Re: My Tribal Marks by DavidDylan(m): 3:47am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

the poster is not letting her marks stop her . . .

but as a woman it is obvious that who you marry depends on those who approach you. Sincerely queen . . . if your brother brought home a chic with 32 prominent marks on her cheeks would you gladly welcome her with open arms?
Re: My Tribal Marks by lucabrasi(m): 3:49am On Dec 06, 2008
@chinenyen
seal didnt start his life as a millionaire as he lived rough for quite a number of years,was deceived back to nigeria by his parents and suffered before he got his passport and went back to the uk
@poster
while i can only imagine what the marks will have done to your self esteem,i suggest you either go down the cosmetic sugery approach like others on here have adviced you,or not let it affect you, there are a lot of very sucessful men&women who have tribal marks ,one example ischief richard akinjide who is heavily tribal marked which did not stop him being admitted to the english bar and actually being one of the most respected african solicitors in the united kingdom before he relocated back to nigeria,it could have been worse and anytime you feel despondent about it,just think of permanently disabled girls who can never do anything to change their situation
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 3:49am On Dec 06, 2008
DavidDylan:

Seal is a millionaire . . . the poster is not. Big diff.
If the poster had $500m in her account today i doubt she'd be worried even if she had 92 tribal marks on her face. She'd be here asking us for help in whittling down her list of suitors.

again David,seal got his "tribal marks" almost a decade before anyone ever heard of him but it didn't stop him.
That is my point
Re: My Tribal Marks by DavidDylan(m): 3:53am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

again David,seal got his "tribal marks" almost a decade before anyone ever heard of him but it didn't stop him.
That is my point

the poster is obviously not worried about getting a job or making it as an entertainer or padding her wallet with some benjamins.

She was not upfront about it but it is not farfetched to say her real problem is getting the men she likes to approach her.

Seal's case was a known medical problem . . . besides his unmistakeable talent carried him far enough that women were prepared to forget his face and marry him. Even if Seal were to lose his head tomorrow there will be no shortage of women ready to marry him.

Our poster here has no such advantage.

U didnt answer my ques though. wink
Re: My Tribal Marks by Kweenisha: 3:54am On Dec 06, 2008
DavidDylan:

the poster is not letting her marks stop her . . .

but as a woman it is obvious that who you marry depends on those who approach you. Sincerely queen . . . if your brother brought home a chic with 32 prominent marks on her cheeks would you gladly welcome her with open arms?

haba David
did she say she had 32 tribal marks.Is there enough space on anybody's face for 32?
A relative of mine married a woman with a physical handicap, alady with a withered leg and we all love and accept her since she's the one he fell in love with but this lady is not handicapped.
Don't make it look like she's doomed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

More Nigerian-Americans Are Reaching Highest Levels of Sports - NY Times / Ethiopians Are Caucasion-video / 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.