Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out (6238 Views)

BBC Interviews Aseni And Oseni Ikhianosime, 2 Young Nigerian Developers / Nigerian Developers & The Code Ninja Syndrome / Coding, Fast & Slow: Developers & The Psychology Of Overconfidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2014
jboy01:
I will like use c# with mono for my app

You are free to use it
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 6:27pm On Dec 23, 2014
As we are approaching xmas I will like those who have decided to be part of this android code completion to simple drop their info here so that we will know who is participating.

If you have a question that you need urgent answer you can send me a message here http://inducesmile.com/

You can also drop it here if it not urgent
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 12:03pm On Dec 25, 2014
me.
name: Elvis chidera
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 9:18am On Dec 27, 2014
Interested:

Name: Trytillmake

As i dey chop chritmas goat, i dey ensure to squeeze time finish before 31st,

Question:

Can i drop the apk and source code for download maybe with google drive instead of registering now with google appstore[i might not be able to pay $25 before 31st since i travelled out of town till new year]
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by asalimpo(m): 11:52am On Dec 27, 2014
trytillmake:
Interested:

Question:

Can i drop the apk and source code for download maybe with google drive instead of registering now with google appstore[i might not be able to pay $25 before 31st since i travelled out of town till new year]
I think d coordinator wants ya real name - not ur NL id!
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 2:00pm On Dec 27, 2014
trytillmake:
Interested:

Question:

No, you don't have to pay for Developer's account. You can just send in your code and apk file
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2014
Due to Christmas and new year celebration, we have got some messages that the deadline for the competition should be moved after January and we have decided to choose a new deadline on 10th January, 2015.

I hope it will afford many participants the opportunity to work on their projects.

Happy Christmas and a wonderful new year in advance.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 7:36pm On Dec 27, 2014
nollyj:
Due to Christmas and new year celebration, we have got some messages that the deadline for the competition should be moved after January and we have decided to choose a new deadline on 10th January, 2015.

I hope it will afford many participants the opportunity to work on their projects.

Happy Christmas and a wonderful new year in advance.
great
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 1:41pm On Jan 05, 2015
Ok number one to register my app,i uploaded it to google drive you can download the apk here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01NrivPM3xpS0pmREVnZFFGZDA/view?usp=sharing and source code here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01NrivPM3xpakQzSUZzdjJrNU0/view?usp=sharing

Ok, i did this app as my very first app for android basically i intended making an app for my office i work but Nairaland came up i decided to try this
since i develop in c# and php i basically learnt java essentials in a day[10pm to 5am] and picked up an android book as a guide.

See screenshot below:

So over to the judges, test and judge how i performed

#modified# submitted the apk and source to yr email

Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 3:32pm On Jan 05, 2015
jboy01:
I will like use c# with mono for my app
Yes, You Can.

The entry ends on 10th and the result will be out a week later. You can resubmit your final modified project if there is need to do so before the deadline.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 5:55pm On Jan 07, 2015
Will the search button be on the app or when the map is displayed ? What are some valid string that could be entered in the edittext ? Can you tell us how application will be graded ?
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 10:22am On Jan 08, 2015
elvis10ten:
Will the search button be on the app or when the map is displayed ? What are some valid string that could be entered in the edittext ? Can you tell us how application will be graded ?

Search box will be on the app. It will take the longitude and latitude coordinates of the location and display it on a map?

I stated how it will be graded in the competition requirements. Please refer back to it.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 10:26am On Jan 08, 2015
Remember, for your entry to be considered in this competition, you have to submit your source code and apk file to this email address (tosca207[at]yahoo.com)

It is few days to the end of the competition, I will be online to entertain to any question or suggestion you may have
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 11:33am On Jan 08, 2015
nollyj:

Search box will be on the app. It will take the longitude and latitude coordinates of the location and display it on a map?

I stated how it will be graded in the competition requirements. Please refer back to it.
so the user will enter longitude and latitude in the searchbox ? i thought it will be an address that will be entered, then the house that contains the address searched for will be returned, am i getting it wrong ?. Is there any minimum to the number of houses we can use or is 6 okay ?
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 11:40am On Jan 08, 2015
elvis10ten:
so the user will enter longitude and latitude in the searchbox ? i thought it will be an address that will be entered, then the house that contains the address searched for will be returned, am i getting it wrong ?. Is there any minimum to the number of houses we can use or is 6 okay ?

You are not getting it wrong. It all depend on how you want to construct your search. Your app users can use address of the location or geo coordinates. The choice is yours.

At least 5 houses with different locations
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 3:37am On Jan 09, 2015
Second to submit. Will post screen shot later.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 10:30am On Jan 09, 2015
elvis10ten:
Second to submit. Will post screen shot later.

It has been received. All the best
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 11:51am On Jan 09, 2015
nollyj:

It has been received. All the best
thanks. screenshots

Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 9:06pm On Jan 09, 2015
Also it will be nice to know by tomorrow the number of people that submitted.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 11:13pm On Jan 09, 2015
elvis10ten:
Also it will be nice to know by tomorrow the number of people that submitted.

Unfortunately, we have received three entries only as of now. But it will not affect the deadline tomorrow. This is the first edition. I do hope that more people will take part in the second code competition which will focus on Java
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 4:53am On Jan 10, 2015
nollyj:

Unfortunately, we have received three entries only as of now. But it will not affect the deadline tomorrow. This is the first edition. I do hope that more people will take part in the second code competition which will focus on Java
ok. I sent you my updated apk file, as the other one was showing a blank map because of sha1 certificate problems. thanks.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 11:33am On Jan 11, 2015
Special thanks to everyone who take part in this competition and those that suggested how we can make it better. The result of the competition will be announced here soon
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 10:24am On Jan 12, 2015
Nice, after announcing the winner pls can u try understudy all the projects and try point the merits and lows of each job so as to enable each developer learn and know how to perform better,i really enjoyed the project it gave me an a means of understanding android basics and how to move on from there.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 6:31pm On Jan 17, 2015
one week. no update yet ?
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 8:05pm On Jan 17, 2015
elvis10ten:
one week. no update yet ?

It will be out soon
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 9:38am On Jan 20, 2015
This result never still come out, Nna na wao:
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 11:47am On Jan 20, 2015
Initial decision for this competition

In total, just three people participated in this android competition. One of the submitted project was not complete so the project did not meet the requirements and guidelines set aside for this competition and it was disallowed.

Base on the two completed projects, we have analysed them and decided that we will not grade both projects. We will make the source codes with detail suggestions for improvement for each project this weekend.

In light of this, we have also decided to award the two participants the same prize. An android Tablet for their effort and determination for coming this far.

Prize winners Nairaland usernames

1. elvis10ten

2. trytillmake

Please you should forward your postal address to the email you used to submit your completed project. Make sure it is a sure address where you can receive parcel.

If you have any question or suggestions, kindly drop it here.

Congrats and all the best with android development.

3 Likes

Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 10:05pm On Jan 20, 2015
nollyj:
Initial decision for this competition

In total, just three people participated in this android competition. One of the submitted project was not complete so the project did not meet the requirements and guidelines set aside for this competition and it was disallowed.

Base on the two completed projects, we have analysed them and decided that we will not grade both projects. We will make the source codes with detail suggestions for improvement for each project this weekend.

In light of this, we have also decided to award the two participants the same prize. An android Tablet for their effort and determination for coming this far.

1. elvis10ten

2. trytillmake

Please you should forward your postal address to the email you used to submit your completed project. Make sure it is a sure address where you can receive parcel.

If you have any question or suggestions, kindly drop it here.

Chooooooi. 5 boza. Thank god.
Postal address or my house address ?. I don't know how the postal stuff works. Please help.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 9:16am On Jan 21, 2015
nollyj:

1. elvis10ten

2. [size=24pt]trytillmake[/size]

WAOH,WAOH WAOH, So i won(can't wait to caress my tablet grin grin),all i can say is tanks to nollyj and all those that contributed to the realisation of this projects and the prizes i am really not only grateful because of the prize but for the recognition, it will really spur me on.

So to those who want to go into programming and possibly android i will drop the books and videos i used below so as to guide you in your own path, they are not exhaustive but they will give you the basics and from there you can contact Google to further yr knowledge.

I basically am a php and c# coder so i was just curious about android and decided to approach it, i took a java video and book and learn't java first, the android videos came later before i understood more from books, basically did all this b/w November and Dec last yr, the crux here is that if u put yrself to whatever u want to do guy u reach it.

BOOKS

Sams_Teach_Yourself_Java_in_24_hrs DOWNLOAD HERE

sams_teach_yourself_android_application_development_in_24_hours_2nd_edition DOWNLOAD HERE

VIDEOS

Java Programming - Step by Step tutorial WATCH HERE

LYNDA Android.App.Development.with.Java.Essential.Training DOWNLOAD HERE

LYNDA Android SDK Essential Training DOWNLOAD HERE

Ehem nollyj, u said postal address, don't think i have used the post office for donkey yrs now,i will be dropping a residential address in lagos,hope that will be ok with you.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 9:53am On Jan 21, 2015
trytillmake:

Ehem nollyj, u said postal address, don't think i have used the post office for donkey yrs now,i will be dropping a residential address in lagos,hope that will be ok with you.

The main sponsor of this competition lives abroad so he will send the Tablets to your respective addresses. If you haven't received package from post office before, ask someone you know that have done that and use the address as care of

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? / Solving Real Problems / Java Server Pages (jsp) Or Java Server Face(jsf Which Path To Trend? ? ? ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.