Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,297 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria (33256 Views)

10 Categories Of Jobs That Can Decrease Your Life Span / 8 Categories Of Jobs That Can Frustrate The Life Of Nigeria Graduates / Jobs That Will Make You Appreciate Your Job (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by eaccyboy(m): 9:52am On Dec 15, 2014
Photography..bros na lie the advent of good camera fones mk it easier for photographrs e.g I mostly cover every stages of development for engineers in a construction company mostly Buildings I spent a lot of time taking pics and climbing places jst to gt d right shot mostimes I fall down..bt nw dey take d pics wt der Ipad,mobile etc aftr all dey jst cal me for printing and I chrge dem same as wen I took d pics ma sef and same wt Wedding pics family membrs dat took d pics demselfs gv me der memory card n we print soooo bros if u kw photography u wl nt even mention it..D fastest growin business in Nigeria dat u cn strt wt 25k
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Aluweezy(m): 9:56am On Dec 15, 2014
I disagree with the CYBERCAFE point. Most cybercafes ain't just a place to access the internet/print but to create business ads, project presentation, type documents etc...and i believe 65% of Nigerians don't have computers or know how to use one. And also on the NEWSPAPER point, there are some youths that prefer reading news from the slim large paper sheets than on internet enabled mobile phones maybe cos they use to the old style or can't afford internet subscription.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 15, 2014
Stove Selling...
Generator... Hahaha...
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by OLAplusONE(m): 10:11am On Dec 15, 2014
Total gibberish, none of this can ever go into extinction, I mean Never! Is farming all about tilling the ground alone, or hw many people can get the services of Koreans/Chinese to build their houses...to mention but a few.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Charchy07(m): 10:18am On Dec 15, 2014
HighIQ:
Have you heard of the word 'going...going...gone!' .The following Jobs may soon come to a complete halt in Nigeria. Just the same way many wildlifes are disappearing from our forests. Here are some of those job that are seriously endangered of extinction. Only time will tell.

1)POST MAILING- Nowadays, people now prefer to send their letters via social media rather than going to the post office. The post office was once known for her overcrowding but that's not the case again nowadays.

2) CASHIER- Machines can easily replace most services rendered by cashiers in banks and other places. Only Human preference and level of illiteracy is holding this back. This will surely be overcame with time.

3) CIVIL ENGINEERING- You know why? The government of our country now prefers to award road/railway/construction contract to foreigners mostly from China and Korea, rather than giving this to engineers in Nigeria. Very soon many Nigerians who studied this course may find it difficult to express their knowledge and ability in this field.

4) JOURNALISM (Newspapers)- Who are those that buy newspapers.? They are mostly old people who as little or no knowledge of the internet. The youths of nowadays simply prefers to view news and happenings on bloggers sites and other websites.

5)FINE ART (Drawing)- there are some newly developed app for phones/computer that can sketch, design,paint and bring out great artwork. They can change human pics to pencil or cartoon type. This can easily be enlarge and printed out which really save time and money.

6)PHOTOGRAPHY- Since the emergence of camera phones,many photographers now complains that people now prefers to snap pictures with their phones rather coming to them.

7)WRIST- WATCH REPAIRING- Many people nowadays, don't consider going to repair their wrist watches when they got spoilt due to the presence of time on their phones. So if you don't want to die of hunger, better don't risk learning this trade.

VIII) CALL CENTERS: Almost all Nigerians now owns a GSM. Besides. Many telecommunication network service now offers calling rates at cheaper price. With this, i don't see any reason going to call at a call centre.

9)CYBER CAFE/BUSINESS CENTRES: Just like GSM. Very soon many Nigerians would soon be a proud owner of their own computers laptops, and printers. When this happens so many of them would prefer to carry out their transaction online in their homes than to go to a Cafe.

10)OKADA BUSINESS- In state like Lagos, riding motorcycles had been barred in many of their highways. There is still high tendency that other states may still regulate this rule.

11)SECURITY GUARDS- There are various machines and robots that can equally perform this Job. But human preference and the high capital involve is still holding this back.

12) FARMING- Many youths in Nigeria are now running away from farming. They now prefers white collar job. I hope one day,we won't be employing labourers from countries like Togo,mozambique and Niger republic to come and work in our farms for us.
Really? Tell me more.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:24am On Dec 15, 2014
ITbomb:
I disagree on Civil engineering
Though most of the Supervisory role may be occupied by foreigners, almost all Assistant supervisor or foremen roles are handled by Nigerians most of them civil engineers.

For Security guards, I see an increase instead of decrease

Finally, you erroneously equated farmers with labourers, Farming profession has taken a new level in Nigeria.
While unskilled labourers will always be needed not only in farming but construction etc. So as Nigerians are moving from unskilled to semi skilled / skilled hands, there might be need to import labourers but farming as a professional business will be getting more and more appealing especially when GEJ wins next year election

Is a foreman an engineer?
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 15, 2014
Farming, extinct? Who be this person sef. In subsequent years to come, Nigeria will be employing more farmers than you think. Cos already our oil is not selling in the oil market again. Nigeria will fall back to agriculture full time again. Take it or leave it.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by ekea2001: 10:32am On Dec 15, 2014
Farming and Photography are cool and are here to stay!!!
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by mmaichel: 10:33am On Dec 15, 2014
HighIQ:

12) FARMING- Many youths in Nigeria are now running away from farming. They now prefers white collar job. I hope one day,we won't be employing labourers from countries like Togo,mozambique and Niger republic to come and work in our farms for us.
this one na lie oh, so many youths are now embracing farming

Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by bilalfarid(m): 10:34am On Dec 15, 2014
Some of this jobs are not going into extinction, they are rather undergoing some transformation. Eg journalism: journalism has now gone electronic ie onlne. Most print media now have website. Its just some form of transformation. Its the dynamics of life.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by aholiab(m): 10:40am On Dec 15, 2014
has anybody given attention to op's use of English? dude or diva. . .what is worth posting is worth posting well.

1 Like

Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by world1(m): 10:48am On Dec 15, 2014
HighIQ:
Have you heard of the word 'going...going...gone!' .The following Jobs may soon come to a complete halt in Nigeria. Just the same way many wildlifes are disappearing from our forests. Here are some of those job that are seriously endangered of extinction. Only time will tell.

1)POST MAILING- Nowadays, people now prefer to send their letters via social media rather than going to the post office. The post office was once known for her overcrowding but that's not the case again nowadays.

2) CASHIER- Machines can easily replace most services rendered by cashiers in banks and other places. Only Human preference and level of illiteracy is holding this back. This will surely be overcame with time.

3) CIVIL ENGINEERING- You know why? The government of our country now prefers to award road/railway/construction contract to foreigners mostly from China and Korea, rather than giving this to engineers in Nigeria. Very soon many Nigerians who studied this course may find it difficult to express their knowledge and ability in this field.

4) JOURNALISM (Newspapers)- Who are those that buy newspapers.? They are mostly old people who as little or no knowledge of the internet. The youths of nowadays simply prefers to view news and happenings on bloggers sites and other websites.

5)FINE ART (Drawing)- there are some newly developed app for phones/computer that can sketch, design,paint and bring out great artwork. They can change human pics to pencil or cartoon type. This can easily be enlarge and printed out which really save time and money.

6)PHOTOGRAPHY- Since the emergence of camera phones,many photographers now complains that people now prefers to snap pictures with their phones rather coming to them.

7)WRIST- WATCH REPAIRING- Many people nowadays, don't consider going to repair their wrist watches when they got spoilt due to the presence of time on their phones. So if you don't want to die of hunger, better don't risk learning this trade.

VIII) CALL CENTERS: Almost all Nigerians now owns a GSM. Besides. Many telecommunication network service now offers calling rates at cheaper price. With this, i don't see any reason going to call at a call centre.

9)CYBER CAFE/BUSINESS CENTRES: Just like GSM. Very soon many Nigerians would soon be a proud owner of their own computers laptops, and printers. When this happens so many of them would prefer to carry out their transaction online in their homes than to go to a Cafe.

10)OKADA BUSINESS- In state like Lagos, riding motorcycles had been barred in many of their highways. There is still high tendency that other states may still regulate this rule.

11)SECURITY GUARDS- There are various machines and robots that can equally perform this Job. But human preference and the high capital involve is still holding this back.

Talking about no 12. You don't know anything about agribusiness just Saturday almost 100 youth gather at the Youth Agri-Business Development Initiative www.yabdi.org
See as young people dey make money from agric

Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 15, 2014
bestestgirl:
Op you are wrong on some o. e.g.
1. Journalism: I can assure you that Newspapers still sell like hot cake. Most Offices have standing orders of newspapers every single day (whether it is read or not), same goes for waiting rooms, hotel lobbies, airplanes, etc. Also, it is young people that visit blogs o, the big shots still buy and read the papers. Lastly, all newspapers have their e-versions, the journalists are definitely not going out of job any time soon trust me.

2. Photography: Are you kidding me??!!!! they will simply upgrade, who do think snaps the photos on magazine covers, billboards, calenders, paparazzi?? Dude, no think that one twice o

3. Security Guards: for wheeere?? them still dey kampe!! Robots ko, machines ni! Just take a look at every bank, embassy, multi-national companies, etc. Infact they double as valets, receptionists and butlers

4. Farming: Op fa fa fa Foul! Farming is becoming the in-thing now. and thats not just crop farming o, now we are getting Bee farming, snail, fish, rabbit, dog, even snake farming sef. Poultry is in a class of its own in popularity. Op just a take a little drive into the country and see things for yourself.

Nna u sabi sth abeg tell d OP joor
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Gentlebabs(m): 11:30am On Dec 15, 2014
Nice post, except for security. A security man will always find job in Nigeria. Even if we face financial Armagh Don, people will still want to secure the left overs. Myles Monroe said "Every problem is a business". The security challenge in Nigeria today is serious business for security iperstives; especially the ones who employ modern technologies to operate.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Betasms: 11:37am On Dec 15, 2014
oga are you sure u know wat ur saying cos from my record photography is a billion dollar industry go nd do your research properly as long as people are celebrating and we still have news on earth so its never gonna disappear
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by caniva(m): 11:39am On Dec 15, 2014

Initially, I was reading through your intriguing write up, but had to stop after getting to "No. 4 above"

You might be right from your point but let me enlighten you and any other who shares same view(s) with you.

-Televisions and internet connections while provide news faster than the newspapers, it cannot have the width, breadth and depth of the newspapers and do not provide the comfort of the repeated references at our leisure and comfort apart from harming our eyes because of the glare and being the source of health hazards because of radiations.

-People of all profession need newspapers. Engineers, doctors, scientists, professors and other professionals need them to know the day-to-day developments in their respective fields. Businessmen need newspapers to keep in touch with the economic and commercial trends in the country and see current share prices. Politicians need them to read recent political events in the country. Others read newspapers to know how changes around them affect their life. Students read newspapers to broaden their knowledge and keep abreast of the recent developments in various fields, be it in politics, economics, science, sports or art and culture. Newspaper is an important tool of the learning process for students.

-Advertisements in newspapers are also very informative and give lots of information about the world around us and recent trends apart from being very entertaining. The editorials and the articles in the editorial page of the newspapers are always very analytical and give insight to the news and their background.

-In conclusion: Newspapers remain the only reference to past events as it continue to affect the present scenarios. For example, go to the court room and see how NEWSPAPERS from decades are used to decide current judgement.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Meel: 11:49am On Dec 15, 2014
jammyunn:
Some of these jobs would be here till the end of time. This was how someone discouraged me from studying computer science in the university.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Meel: 11:49am On Dec 15, 2014
jammyunn:
Some of these jobs would be here till the end of time. This was how someone discouraged me from studying computer science in the university.
bro sorry for being personal, what are d reason d person state to u, so as nt to study computa science.
Thanks
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by LoveMEBaby(m): 11:58am On Dec 15, 2014
Mrwhalex:
Oga, pastor Adeyemi said so so many years back especially to mechanics. But we still have mechanics everywhere in fact with a strong and enormous union. Abi she na where person dey buy 1.5m wrist watch na him watch repairer no go come chop? If you decide not to use a wrist watch cos you a blackberry passport/iphone whatever, is your wahala which translates to nobodies.
Have you ever followed the voice prompt whenever you call any customer care agent? I know you'll rather press 0 to speak with an agent.
Don't just come here to bambooze us with copy and paste articles without thinking.
God bless.
hahaaaaaaaaaa my guy u no even give the guy hope
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by LoveMEBaby(m): 12:02pm On Dec 15, 2014
HighIQ:

6)JOURNALISM (Newspapers)- Since the emergence of camera phones,many photographers now complains that people now prefers to snap pictures with their phones rather coming to them.

Walahi this one na confirm rubbish post.. Did i just hear you say CIVIL ENGINEERING, FARMING AND PHOTOGRAPHY. @op I guess your brain needs a serious cleaning. How i wish am a CIVIL ENGINEER. Infact @op you are finished. #Egbami
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by hyfr(m): 12:23pm On Dec 15, 2014
jammyunn:
what was the persons reason for doing so. I'm a computer scientist aspirant
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by teesmarth(m): 12:33pm On Dec 15, 2014
This guy no sabi book. You av a small brain to actually comprehend wat u are even trying to pass across. U dnt even undastand wat u are saying. U too dull. I tink u are not really exposed. Haba, Civil engineering wud av bin d last u"d mention if not at all sef. In dis age of civilization.,chaii...u don fall my hand like dat.

Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by jammyunn(m): 12:35pm On Dec 15, 2014
hyfr:
what was the persons reason for doing so. I'm a computer scientist aspirant
he said its of no value spending 4 years at the uni wen I cam just do certification courses while studying another course
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by jammyunn(m): 12:35pm On Dec 15, 2014
Meel:
bro sorry for being personal, what are d reason d person state to u, so as nt to study computa science.
Thanks
he said its of no value spending 4 years at the uni wen I cam just do certification courses while studying another course
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Sweetlemon(f): 12:35pm On Dec 15, 2014
Mrwhalex:
Oga, pastor Adeyemi said so so many years back especially to mechanics. But we still have mechanics everywhere in fact with a strong and enormous union. Abi she na where person dey buy 1.5m wrist watch na him watch repairer no go come chop? If you decide not to use a wrist watch cos you a blackberry passport/iphone whatever, is your wahala which translates to nobodies.
Have you ever followed the voice prompt whenever you call any customer care agent? I know you'll rather press 0 to speak with an agent.
Don't just come here to bambooze us with copy and paste articles without thinking.
God bless.

Lol! I guess you are so pissed because you are a civil engineer?
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Sweetlemon(f): 12:37pm On Dec 15, 2014
Going through the thread, civil engineers vex wella! grin grin grin grin grin grin

What op said is the gospel truth though.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by Meel: 12:48pm On Dec 15, 2014
Ok, pls as a comp scientist where can u work
jammyunn:
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by ATDON(m): 1:10pm On Dec 15, 2014
rozayx5:
13.APC- egoats : once their serial looser General looses again, they will all go into extinction as the General will be tool old to contest in 2019 cool cool
why cant u just behave manly for once
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by rozayx5(m): 1:20pm On Dec 15, 2014
ATDON:
why cant u just behave manly for once

undecided undecided
manly indeed, seems your one of them e-goats unless you would have turned a blind eye to my post cool
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by oluagness(m): 1:50pm On Dec 15, 2014
Farming is getting more attwntion everyday. It is very lucrative.
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by jammyunn(m): 2:02pm On Dec 15, 2014
Meel:
Ok, pls as a comp scientist where can u work
any company that using ict
Re: TOP 12 Jobs That Would Soon Go On Extinction In Nigeria by hyfr(m): 2:12pm On Dec 15, 2014
jammyunn:
and now do u feel what the person said was wrong or right? I love computer science and chem eng

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chikezie Emmanuel Uzuegbunam Makes 100 Brightest Young Minds In Africa 2017 List / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.