Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (229410 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by PastorAIO: 5:26pm On Dec 18, 2014
Ancient History
Around fourth century CE, the famous Hindu astronomer, Bhāskara II in his work Surya Siddhanta wrote: "Objects fall on the earth due to a force of attraction by the earth. Therefore, the earth, planets, constellations, moon and sun are held in orbit due to this attraction." Newton rediscovered this 1200 years later.

Newton's theory of gravitation

In 1687, English mathematician Sir Isaac Newton published Principia, which hypothesizes the inverse-square law of universal gravitation.

A discrepancy in Mercury's orbit pointed out flaws in Newton's theory. By the end of the 19th century, it was known that its orbit showed slight perturbations that could not be accounted for entirely under Newton's theory, but all searches for another perturbing body (such as a planet orbiting the Sun even closer than Mercury) had been fruitless. The issue was resolved in 1915 by Albert Einstein's new theory of general relativity, which accounted for the small discrepancy in Mercury's orbit.

In general relativity, the effects of gravitation are ascribed to spacetime curvature instead of a force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation

Newton worked with a fixed Euclidian space so I do not see how his theory and Einstein's can be the same. They differ already in their understanding of the attributes of Space.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 5:27pm On Dec 18, 2014
joseph1013:
But experiments were done to show the earth orbits the sun, not the other way around.

Another piece of ignorant regurgitation.

This is one of the most common misunderstandings from lay people.

Science does not conclude whether "the Earth goes round the Sun or vice versa."

Science only says that certain model of the solar system yields simpler mathematics if you place the origin at centre of mass of the solar system (this is not even at the centre of the Sun).

For example, if you wished to predict the arrival of a comet, you may choose such a configuration.

However, meteorologists, place the origin at the centre of the Earth. The mathematics works out much easier in this case.

In Newtonian science, there are preferred configurations known as as inertial frames of reference, which is a standard. But saying in general that one thing goes round the other is meaningless. Each goes round the other from the perspective of the other.

Our shrieking ranter will probably be back to make another spectacle of herself.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Hadeep: 5:29pm On Dec 18, 2014
ooman:

Of course, we are from ancient apes, we are modern ape.
Ya I know all the living being are animal on the surface of earth. But ofcourse the civilized ones, are we the human.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 5:32pm On Dec 18, 2014
Hadeep:

Ya I know all the living being are animal on the surface of earth. But ofcourse the civilized ones, are we the human.

Of course we are humans, but we belong to the family of Homo in the scientific ranking, a family of ape.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 5:33pm On Dec 18, 2014
PastorAIO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation

Newton worked with a fixed Euclidian space so I do not see how his theory and Einstein's can be the same. They differ already in their understanding of the attributes of Space.

The are different paradigms, of course. And the one that is used most in everyday technology is the Newtonian one.

It works fine in its domain, and technology has not ground to a halt because the theory is not the best for sending a probe into outer space.

There is no particular, immediate reason in technology for theories to be unified. Two theories works fine.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2014
sinequanon:
I didn't mention god, you did. You need to calm down and stop arguing with yourself.

What is enabling this healthy lifestyle that other Americans don't have. Calm down (if you are able to), focus and try to answer the question.

What was your point? That people with religion can live long, right? Yeah, and then I gave an answer to prove to you that it is not religion that is making them healthy. They are healthy by following healthy procedures that has been scientifically proven to help avoid diseases. Oh, or you think religion did this for them exclusively?

sinequanon:
Back to ranting nonsense because you are out of your depth.

OK.

Oh, you dont know about Albert Einstein theory of general relativity? YOu obviously dont know that Newton's theory has been superseded. Will you pay me if I teach you some more?

sinequanon:
Wrong. Technology can be based on trial and error (with no scientific explanation), hearsay, juju, alchemy, dreams and a host of other non-scientific things. There are examples in practice of all of these.

You are an ignorant, ranting regurgitator, who would do well to go away and expand her thought process. Bye!

Give examples of a trial and error technology.

YOu want to run away? BYE. Dont look back! *waves*
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Hadeep: 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2014
ooman:

Of course we are humans, but we belong to the family of Homo in the scientific ranking, a family of ape.
Hmmmm
I knew it must be them.Lol
Thou all men with their finds
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by PastorAIO: 5:46pm On Dec 18, 2014
There is a danger that this will go round and round because we have different definitions for the terms.

Religion is a means of inquiry, too. Prayer is a means of inquiry. Bible study is a means of inquiry.

How can you say this and then hardly a minute later you are drawing a distinction between Science and technology?

If I make a scientific discovery and apply it to create a new technology, do you call that technology science?

If I discover through my local prophet that winches are going to attack me to night and I fast and pray religiously for deliverance, It seems that your can happily wrap the entire process under the umbrella of religion. But you are not willing to consider the application of science as technology to be under the wing of Science.

Sounds like double standards to me.

And science is an ideology. It is a way of observing the world and defining what is and isn't "real".
I will not deny that there is an ideological aspect that scientists bring into their science when they do science. But to say that science is an ideology sounds dumb. Science can spawn ideologies and support ideologies. But I guess it all depends on what you mean when you say Science. I'm referring to a methodology that is commonly called the scientific method.

Science has social myths, too
. Just look at eugenics, for example. Any form of inquiry is subject to mythology. What do you think makes scientists immune from all the corruption that goes on in every field of human endeavour?

Example please. I don't get how Eugenics is a social myth. could you explain that?

What do you think makes scientists immune from all the corruption that goes on in every field of human endeavour?

I never said scientists were immune from anything. The fact that there is corruption going on in a court of law does not mean that the Laws of the country are wrong or corrupt. The human element corrupts it.

That is no explanation. Just labels. What is considered yeye yesterday can be considered disciplined tomorrow. There is a lot of retrospection, and science is certainly no exception.

What do you understand by the term Rigour, and by Degrees of freedom?

In what way do people kill themselves over religion, that is not economics?

Check out the 30 years War in Germany. Also the English Civil War.

sinequanon:

Religion is a means of inquiry, too. Prayer is a means of inquiry. Bible study is a means of inquiry.

And science is an ideology. It is a way of observing the world and defining what is and isn't "real".

Science has social myths, too. Just look at eugenics, for example. Any form of inquiry is subject to mythology. What do you think makes scientists immune from all the corruption that goes on in every field of human endeavour?

Making heroes of people is common in historical accounts. Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein etc. they have been turned into heroes for cultural reasons. When Einstein was asked if he got E = mc^2 after reading about Lorentz' derivation of space time transformation, he said that he couldn't remember! Yet, it is Einstein who gets all the accolades.

That is no explanation. Just labels. What is considered yeye yesterday can be considered disciplined tomorrow. There is a lot of retrospection, and science is certainly no exception.

What is meant by 'progress' is absolutely central to why science is an ideology. People take for granted that their destiny is to control and exploit the environment. It is out of this ideology that science defines reality. "If it can't potentially be commandeered, ignore it -- it isn't real."

In what way do people kill themselves over religion, that is not economics?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by honourhim: 5:48pm On Dec 18, 2014
philfearon:

I strongly have come to believe that you are really confusing yourself bro.....
From the reply you gave Frank317,its obvious you are just confusing yourself the more....You keep begging the question which is:
What's the need of Redemption, when prevention is the best way?
All of his creation is flawed,starting from the angels down to every last thing in this earth...
Is it the sin of Adam that causes Earthquake,Hurricanes,Storm,Acidic Rain,Ozone Layer depletion,Tremors,Volcano's, etc? No! It is Your Gods flawed creation...It renders him Imperfect and Incapable of Been All-Knowing
If you can't understand this simple things,then am sorry,I must end my discuss with you,Cause it seems you cant see facts from Myths and illogicality and you are hell-bent on the Bible Said so!
Its obvious that God who is supposed to be The Highest of beings expresses human emotions like anger,regret,hatred,Love,Friendship,affection..All this things are mere human attributes,but they are attributed to God...Someone who expresses all this emotions will be flawed and blinded and Biased,and ultimately imperfect...Don't you still get it?

Asking my about redemption again when I ve already answered frank317 about it shows either you didn't read my answer well or you are expecting me to give an answer that you want to hear.

Again saying that God's creation is flawed and whatever is your opinion. God has his plans and he must not plan the way you want.

Finally I told you from the beginning that I discuss God within the scripture and here you are blaming me for keeping to the scripture. Na wa for you bros. Thanks for your time.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:52pm On Dec 18, 2014
sinequanon:

Another piece of ignorant regurgitation.

This is one of the most common misunderstandings from lay people.

Science does not conclude whether "the Earth goes round the Sun or vice versa."

Science only says that certain model of the solar system yields simpler mathematics if you place the origin at centre of mass of the solar system (this is not even at the centre of the Sun).

For example, if you wished to predict the arrival of a comet, you may choose such a configuration.

However, meteorologists, place the origin at the centre of the Earth. The mathematics works out much easier in this case.

In Newtonian science, there are preferred configurations known as as inertial frames of reference, which is a standard. But saying in general that one thing goes round the other is meaningless. Each goes round the other from the perspective of the other.

Our shrieking ranter will probably be back to make another spectacle of herself.

Science does not conclude whether "the Earth goes round the Sun or vice versa? Really? I am getting tired of your dumbness right now.

Ever heard of Heliocentrism, or heliocentricism? Of course not. I WILL SCHOOL YOU.

Heliocentrism, or heliocentricism, is the astronomical model in which the Earth and planets revolve around a relatively stationary Sun at the center of the Solar System. The word comes from the Greek (ἥλιος helios "sun" and κέντρον kentron "center"wink. Historically, heliocentrism was opposed to geocentrism, which placed the Earth at the center. The notion that the Earth revolves around the Sun had been proposed as early as the 3rd century BC by Aristarchus of Samos, but at least in the post-Ancient world Aristarchus's heliocentrism attracted little attention—possibly because of the loss of scientific works of the Hellenistic Era—until Copernicus revived and elaborated it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentrism

In astronomy, the Earth's orbit is the motion of the Earth around the Sun, from an average distance of 149.59787 million kilometers (93 million miles) away. A complete orbit of the Earth around the Sun occurs every 365.256363004 days (1 sidereal year). This motion gives an apparent movement of the Sun with respect to the stars at a rate of about 1°/day (or a Sun or Moon diameter every 12 hours) eastward, as seen from Earth. On average it takes 24 hours—a solar day—for Earth to complete a full rotation about its axis relative to the Sun so that the Sun returns to the meridian. The orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun averages about 30 km/s (108,000 km/h, or 67,000 mph), which is fast enough to cover the planet's diameter (about 12,700 km, or 7,900 miles) in seven minutes, and the distance to the Moon of 384,000 km (239,000 miles) in four hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_orbit

If you continue to display this elementary ignorance, I'll simply IGNORE you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by PastorAIO: 5:55pm On Dec 18, 2014
sinequanon:

The are different paradigms, of course. And the one that is used most in everyday technology is the Newtonian one.

It works fine in its domain, and technology has not ground to a halt because the theory is not the best for sending a probe into outer space.

There is no particular, immediate reason in technology for theories to be unified. Two theories works fine.

I must have misunderstood you. I believed you said that they do not conflict with each other. How do two theories that operate on 2 'different paradigms' not be in conflict.

I never said anything about how well it works. I said that we have 2 different theories of gravitation and you said:
There is only ONE theory of gravity. What your low intelligence calls another one is found in Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. I wont teach you this one. Go find out yourself why they dont conflict.

Can you name one technology or scientific application that makes simultaneous use of both theories?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 6:38pm On Dec 18, 2014
PastorAIO:
If I make a scientific discovery and apply it to create a new technology, do you call that technology science?

No. Science pertains to a standard used in producing the technology. The science may be "incorrect", yet still work. Or it may even have hindered the technology because of preconceptions.

PastorAIO:
If I discover through my local prophet that winches are going to attack me to night and I fast and pray religiously for deliverance, It seems that your can happily wrap the entire process under the umbrella of religion. But you are not willing to consider the application of science as technology to be under the wing of Science.

No. I can think of other ways you could have found out that witches were planning an attack. You could have been passing their cove and overheard them. You could have figured it out because a string of other people had been attacked. You could have had a dream. etc. etc. Religion is just a way you choose to understand or engage with something.

PastorAIO:
I'm referring to a methodology that is commonly called the scientific method.

Well, you can scour the internet for debates by "dumb" philosophers, deliberating on the "dumb" idea.

If it sounds that weird to you, maybe you need to familiarize yourself with some of the issues.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/15/Is_Science_an_Ideology

To defenders of science, like Karl Popper, the claim that science itself might be prey to distortion, prejudice and ideology is anathema. To people who believe like Paul Feyerabend that science is “just another ideology”, the common belief that science is a neutral and objective body of knowledge is an indication of just how great an ideological grip it has on people’s minds.

PastorAIO:
Example please. I don't get how Eugenics is a social myth. could you explain that?

Social myths IN eugenics. For example, the scientific results for intellectual capacity and even consciousness had been crafted to support the idea of White Supremacy and Slavery of Blacks. The results were myths.

PastorAIO:
I never said scientists were immune from anything. The fact that there is corruption going on in a court of law does not mean that the Laws of the country are wrong or corrupt. The human element corrupts it.

What do you understand by the term Rigour, and by Degrees of freedom?

Rigour subsumes under the latter, "degree", not essence, being the issue.

So, I am happy to debate whether the degree of freedom in science is less than in other religions, without anything leading me to suppose that science is essentially different.

PastorAIO:
Check out the 30 years War in Germany. Also the English Civil War.

I don't know what you are driving at, here. People align themselves according to their religious identity, but I do not see it as people fighting over religion. It just boils down to political power and economics, in which religion acts as one of the many tribal markers.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 6:50pm On Dec 18, 2014
PastorAIO:

I must have misunderstood you. I believed you said that they do not conflict with each other. How do two theories that operate on 2 'different paradigms' not be in conflict.

I never said anything about how well it works. I said that we have 2 different theories of gravitation and you said:

Can you name one technology or scientific application that makes simultaneous use of both theories?

We agree that there are 2 different theories of gravitation.

I think you have conflated my post with that of the ranting woman.

wrt conflict, a paradigm has its domain of applicability, which may overlap with that of other paradigms. There need be no conflict if each gives reliable answers, and is used in its intended domain.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by frank317: 9:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
honourhim:

Yes God knows the end from the beginning. He is a like potter. A potter does not create to please the vessel rather he creates to please his concept. Read Romans 9:20-23.

I am not reading anything. His knowing makes no sense to me.

Honestly bro your opinion about God doesn't remove anything from him as the almighty God.

Honestly bro your opinion about God does not make him real, therefore an unreal thing cannot be almigthy

Wrath/anger is part of his attributes/characteristics and something must happen to make it manifest just as mercy is part of his characteristics/attributes and something must happen to make it manifest.
Without these negatives we wouldn't have known and appreciate his mercy and love.

Lol, doesn't this describe a mad man? Your God is likened to a man who creates something just so that that thing would make him mad so that he can express madness. Why didn't he start hitting himself all over so that he can get angry at himself. What's the point getting mad when you know what your creation would do at anything. Its cool if you accept that description of your God but honestly I think silliness is also part of your Gods attribute.

Those that will not perish stll needs the call before they can yield.
Of course, just follow the formality, after all your God already knows the people you call will not repent when they don't. But he needs something to get angry at. He also knows you will go to call them on his behalf but he needs to be happy with something.

Yes he knew. The redemption plan he made from the foundation of the world shows that he knew. If he didn't know then he wouldn't be all knowing God. He knew bro.

Formalities again. After all he knows many will spend eternity in hell after slaughtering his son. What exactly was he hoping to achieve with the redemption plan? Was he planning to achieve anything different from what he already knew? What's the big deal in his sons death if he already knew everything?

You can't say for sure that you will not yield to repentance bro. There are a lot of atheists who thought they will not repent but when the time came they repented. Don't be suprised you may repent tomorrow. You don't know what the future holds so you can't conclude.

Of course I will not be surprised, it might be part of his already written script that will repent tomorrow and your God who already knows I will repent will start dancing or rejoicing. How does he do it... Give himself a partial amnesia so that he can rejoice like he just is knowing? Or he just rejoices anyway despite already knowing that would be the outcome?

Like I said, whatever you call God doesn't remove anything from his greatness. You are only satisfying your emotions. It doesn't change anything. God is still the almighty.

Yes, he creates me and programmed me to call him whatever I would call him so that he would get mad at me. Do you blame me when I think he silly? He knew that a long time ago. He needs me to call him silly so that he can express one of his attributes... Wrath.

These are my own views based on what I ve read in the bible and they are not final. Another person might have a better biblical view.

Ya... Your views are skewed man... I wonder how it makes sense to you. Least I forget, your God already knew that this will be your view based on what you read from the bible. Lol.. I wish you know how unreasonable your view is.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by malvisguy212: 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2014
joseph1013:

How can a law be invincible? Adam hid because there was an express instruction from god (according to the fable). So tell me the express instruction given to Cain and all the people who transgressed before the written mosaic law.
GOD told adam not to eat from the tree of Good and evil and when they disobey God they face the punishment, am very sure adam and eve would have thought there children not to disobey God and teach them what is good and bad, so there conscience no what is good and evil.

In Darwin’s time there was an idea among the
nobility that their genetics were superior to those of
the rest of society. Many families including Darwin’s
took this belief to extreme levels by practicing incest
as a tradition.
They thought that if adolescents were to marry within
their own family then not only would all the wealth
stay in the family, but the “good” genes would also.
This also ensured that the family fortunes would be
retained for many future generations. This practice is
very common in aristocratic families, which explains
why they are all extremely mentally unstable. Darwin
came from a very classist and racist elite level of
society and that is reflected in his work, especially
“The Descent of Man”.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Ifeann(f): 11:29pm On Dec 18, 2014
malvisguy212:
GOD told adam not to eat from the tree of Good and evil and when they disobey God they face the punishment, am very sure adam and eve would have thought there children not to disobey God and teach them what is good and bad, so there conscience no what is good and evil.

as a tradition.
“The Descent of Man”.

Nice info. Didn't know this about Charles Darwin. Will investigate. This is why those who preach natural selection; evolutionists and atheism will lead the world to eugenics and mass destruction of undesirable humans in the future.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by malvisguy212: 6:40am On Dec 19, 2014
Ifeann:

Nice info. Didn't know this about Charles Darwin. Will investigate. This is why those who preach natural selection; evolutionists and atheism will lead the world to eugenics and mass destruction of undesirable humans in the future.
atheist will never tell you all this info, God bless you
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:36am On Dec 19, 2014
joseph1013:

Meaning that God allowed In.ce.st? According to the biblical scriptures, In.ce.st is forbidden.

“Never have sexual intercourse with anyone related to you by blood. I am the Lord." Leviticus 18:6 (God's Word Translation)

The law forbidding incest was introduced in the mosaic law. Cain married his sister, no rocket science is required to figure that one out, just as Noah's grandsons must have married their sisters or cousins yet we don't see people asking about that even though no granddaughters are mentioned. Don't create a problem where there is non. Like someone said already, the bible says Adam came to have sons and daughters. I was brought up in a religious environment where that question was answered when I was less than five years old, only for me to grow up and still find people struggling with it. Is the omition really that perplexing when daughters are hardly mentioned in the bible?
Abraham married his half sister. Sarah was his sister. The law of moses came to forbid it along with a lot of things there had earlier been no law against. Christ too came to forbid polygamy which had been allowed in the law of moses.
I won't call myself a christian anymore. I do have my problems with religion and the concept of God we were sold in the bible but theist or atheist let's do our research well.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:46am On Dec 19, 2014
malvisguy212:

as a tradition.
“The Descent of Man”.

You are very sure Adam and Eve would have taught their children not to disobey God and teach them what is good and bad? How sure are you? What makes you sure? IS it written in scriptures that they taught their kids? Did God tell you that was what happened? Stop with the extra-biblical explanations. Jesus himself says you should not add or subtract from the scriptures.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:54am On Dec 19, 2014
WORLDPEACE:

The law forbidding incest was introduced in the mosaic law. Cain married his sister, no rocket science is required to figure that one out, just as Noah's grandsons must have married their sisters or cousins yet we don't see people asking about that even though no granddaughters are mentioned. Don't create a problem where there is non. Like someone said already, the bible says Adam came to have sons and daughters. I was brought up in a religious environment where that question was answered when I was less than five years old, only for me to grow up and still find people struggling with it. Is the omition really that perplexing when daughters are hardly mentioned in the bible?
Abraham married his half sister. Sarah was his sister. The law of moses came to forbid it along with a lot of things there had earlier been no law against. Christ too came to forbid polygamy which had been allowed in the law of moses.
I won't call myself a christian anymore. I do have my problems with religion and the concept of God we were sold in the bible but theist or atheist let's do our research well.

If you followed the discussion, you'll know that this was leading somewhere.

If that question was answered when you were below 5 years and it did not lead to other questions, then maybe you're not as inquisitive as you should be.

So let's say Cain committed incest (which God didnt punish because it was to later come in the mosaic law, why did God punish other sins before they became expressly instructed under the mosaic law?

What is good for the goose is good for the gander?

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:56am On Dec 19, 2014
A few thoughts... (5)

A THOUGHT ABOUT PRAYER

Believers tell us that Jesus answers every prayer but sometimes the answer is "No". OK, but here is the interesting thing...

Some prayers are harder to answer than others. For example, if you lose your car keys, there's a pretty good chance you'll find them and if you pray to Jesus to help you find them, there's a pretty good chance he will answer your prayer.

However, if your dream is to reduce the suffering of children by ending childhood cancers, you are not likely to succeed even if you work your whole life at it. And, if you ask Jesus to do it for you, there is next to no chance he will answer that particular prayer.

When you look at a lot of examples you will conclude that the easier it is to accomplish a task yourself, the more likely Jesus will answer your prayer with a "Yes".

Since Jesus is omnipotent, there is no prayer he cannot answer so he must have to decide which to answer. You might expect he would use criteria such as how sincere or deserving you are or how much you love him or what would be most beneficial for you in the long term. However, it looks as though his criterion is rather simple--he is more likely to answer prayers for things you can easily do for yourself.

Oddly, it would work in exactly the same way if Jesus did not exist at all.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:00am On Dec 19, 2014
MORE FANTASY THAN FACTS

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:05am On Dec 19, 2014
MOST CHRISTIANS DONT KNOW THIS

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by mctowel01: 10:27am On Dec 19, 2014
There is no objective proof of God, but our existence and a lot of mysteries surrounding it point to something being beyond our physical realms. Has anyone wondered how an organic matter can just conjure up saved images in the name of dreams?
I don't know the equivalent, in megapixels, the vision of the eyes to a camera, but we all know how sophisticated an ordinary 5megapixels camera is. Compare it to the eyes which are more clearer than this
If you understand feedback, you will see how it applies itself automatically in the nervous system of the human body. Common, these are there for a purpose. It will be preposterous for one to deny the existence of a being(s)/deity(s)/nature, whatever you may call it, that is more supreme than our mere existence.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by philfearon(m): 11:18am On Dec 19, 2014
malvisguy212:
atheist will never tell you all this info, God bless you
You know,am still waiting for you to answer the last question I asked you?
Did you run away or just neglected it?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by malvisguy212: 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
philfearon:

You know,am still waiting for you to answer the last question I asked you?
Did you run away or just neglected it?
mr satanist, which question is that.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:19pm On Dec 19, 2014
mctowel01:
There is no objective proof of God, but our existence and a lot of mysteries surrounding it point to something being beyond our physical realms. Has anyone wondered how an organic matter can just conjure up saved images in the name of dreams?
I don't know the equivalent, in megapixels, the vision of the eyes to a camera, but we all know how sophisticated an ordinary 5megapixels camera is. Compare it to the eyes which are more clearer than this
If you understand feedback, you will see how it applies itself automatically in the nervous system of the human body. Common, these are there for a purpose. It will be preposterous for one to deny the existence of a being(s)/deity(s)/nature, whatever you may call it, that is more supreme than our mere existence.

Well, it is a beautiful point you bring up. But it is not good enough for you to (subjectively) look at the wonder of the universe and human design and conclude that a being or deity is responsible.

It used to be obvious that the world was designed by some sort of intelligence. What else could account for fire and rain and lightning and earthquakes? Above all, the wonderful abilities of living things seemed to point to a creator who had a special interest in life. Today we understand most of these things in terms of physical forces acting under impersonal laws. We don't yet know the most fundamental laws, and we can't work out all the consequences of the laws we do know.

The human mind remains extraordinarily difficult to understand, but so is the weather. We can't predict whether it will rain one month from today, but we do know the rules that govern the rain, even though we can't always calculate their consequences. I see nothing about the human mind any more than about the weather that stands out as beyond the hope of understanding as a consequence of impersonal laws acting over billions of years.

The human eye does not show intelligent design. In fact it shows unintelligent design.

The configuration of the retina is in three layers, with the light-sensitive rods and cones at the bottom, facing away from the light, and underneath a layer of bipolar, horizonal, and amacrine cells, themselves underneath a layer of ganglion cells that help carry the signal from the eye to the brain. And this entire structure sits beneath a layer of blood vessels.

For optimal vision why would an intelligent designer have built an eye backwards and upside down? Because an intelligent designer did not build the eye from scratch. Natural selection built the eye from simple to complex using whatever materials were available, and in the particular configuration of the ancestral organism.

The human eye is not even the most complex...it is not the most well-developed. The octopus has a superior eye to us. Some animals even see more colour than us.

There are alot of examples from the human body to illustrate that if there is a designer at all, then the designer is very unintelligent.

Several flaws in the human design frequently result in death, especially without modern medical care:

- In the human female, a fertilized egg can implant into the fallopian tube, cervix or ovary rather than the uterus causing an ectopic pregnancy. The existence of a cavity between the ovary and the fallopian tube could indicate a flawed design in the female reproductive system. Prior to modern surgery, ectopic pregnancy invariably caused the deaths of both mother and baby. Even in modern times, in almost all cases, the pregnancy must be aborted to save the life of the mother.

- In the human female, the birth canal passes through the pelvis. The prenatal skull will deform to a surprising extent. However, if the baby’s head is significantly larger than the pelvic opening, the baby cannot be born naturally. Prior to the development of modern surgery (caesarean section), such a complication would lead to the death of the mother, the baby or both. Other birthing complications such as breech birth are worsened by this position of the birth canal.

- In the human male, testes develop initially within the abdomen. Later during gestation, they migrate through the abdominal wall into the scrotum. This causes two weak points in the abdominal wall where hernias can later form. Prior to modern surgical techniques, complications from hernias, including intestinal blockage, gangrene, etc., usually resulted in death.

- The existence of the pharynx, a passage used for both ingestion and respiration, with the consequent drastic increase in the risk of choking.

- The breathing reflex is stimulated not directly by the absence of oxygen but rather indirectly by the presence of carbon dioxide. A result is that, at high altitudes, oxygen deprivation can occur in unadapted individuals who do not consciously increase their breathing rate. Oxygenless asphyxiation in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere has been proposed as a humane method of execution that exploits this "oversight".

- The human appendix is a vestigial organ with no known purpose. However, appendicitis, an infection of this useless organ, is a certain death without medical intervention.

- Barely used nerves and muscles, such as the plantaris muscle of the foot, that are missing in part of the human population and are routinely harvested as spare parts if needed during operations. Another example is the muscles that move the ears, which some people can learn to control to a degree, but serve no purpose in any case.

- The common malformation of the human spinal column, leading to scoliosis, sciatica and congenital misalignment of the vertebrae.

- Almost all animals and plants synthesize their own vitamin C, but humans cannot because the gene for this enzyme is defective. Lack of vitamin C results in scurvy and eventually death. The gene is also non-functional in other primates and in guinea pigs, but is functional in most other animals.

- The prevalence of congenital diseases and genetic disorders such as Huntington's Disease.

- Crowded teeth and poor sinus drainage, as human faces are significantly flatter than those of other primates and humans share the same tooth set. This results in a number of problems, most notably with wisdom teeth.

- The structure of humans' eyes (as well as those of all vertebrates). The retina is 'inside out'. The nerves and blood vessels lie on the surface of the retina instead of behind it as is the case in many invertebrate species. This arrangement forces a number of complex adaptations and gives mammals a blind spot.

You see, the human body does not show that any deity who may have designed us is intelligent.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 3:15pm On Dec 19, 2014
joseph1013:
The human eye does not show intelligent design. In fact it shows unintelligent design.

The configuration of the retina is in three layers, with the light-sensitive rods and cones at the bottom, facing away from the light, and underneath a layer of bipolar, horizonal, and amacrine cells, themselves underneath a layer of ganglion cells that help carry the signal from the eye to the brain. And this entire structure sits beneath a layer of blood vessels.

For optimal vision why would an intelligent designer have built an eye backwards and upside down? Because an intelligent designer did not build the eye from scratch. Natural selection built the eye from simple to complex using whatever materials were available, and in the particular configuration of the ancestral organism.

The human eye is not even the most complex...it is not the most well-developed. The octopus has a superior eye to us.

LOL! Typical uncritical regurgitation!

First of all, in the term "intelligent designer", "intelligent" doesn't mean flawless. That is just a scientific straw man tactic. "Intelligent" means, having foresight.

Secondly, where is the research showing that an octopus eye is superior to a human eye? It may be so according to your regurgitated logic, but that does not mean it is the case in practice.

And any measure of superiority would be subjective. Are we talking about how far we can see, acuity, breadth of vision, speed of repair, ability to ignore a highlight without getting blinded by it (we can do that with our blind spot) etc. etc.

Finally, the eagle has the same so-called "back-to-front design" as the human and has phenomenal eyesight.

So, it is at least as much the case of scientists having to review their flawed expectations, than the design of the eye being flawed.

(Scientists have claimed that a number of organs are vestigial or useless, only because they couldn't understand their function. Lately they have realized that organs like the tonsils and appendix have important functions. They used to chop out the tonsils of children out of pure ignorance.)

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
sinequanon:

LOL! Typical uncritical regurgitation!

First of all, in the term "intelligent designer", "intelligent" doesn't mean flawless. That is just a scientific straw man tactic. "Intelligent" means, having foresight.

Secondly, where is the research showing that an octopus eye is superior to a human eye? It may be so according to your regurgitated logic, but that does not mean it is the case in practice.

And any measure of superiority would be subjective. Are we talking about how far we can see, acuity, breadth of vision, speed of repair, ability to ignore a highlight without getting blinded by it (we can do that with our blind spot) etc. etc.

Finally, the eagle has the same so-called "back-to-front design" as the human and has phenomenal eyesight.

So, it is at least as much the case of scientists having to review their flawed expectations, than the design of the eye being flawed.

(Scientists have claimed that a number of organs are vestigial or useless, only because they couldn't understand their function. Lately they have realized that organs like the tonsils and appendix have important functions. They used to chop out the tonsils of children out of pure ignorance.)

LOL...You're back? Running helter and skelter like the biblical devil.LOL Where is the assignment I gave you? I won't teach you another if you don't submit that.

Also when are you going to do your 'spirits' initiation for us since you dont believe in god but you believe in spirits. LMAO...this guy is a clown.

You cant be between religious dogma and scientific critical thinking and not appear si.lly.

I wanted to take time to SCHOOL like I've done previously but not this time, submit the assignment I gave you first. Good deal?

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 3:39pm On Dec 19, 2014
joseph1013:
- Almost all animals and plants synthesize their own vitamin C, but humans cannot because the gene for this enzyme is defective. Lack of vitamin C results in scurvy and eventually death. The gene is also non-functional in other primates and in guinea pigs, but is functional in most other animals.

According to the Theory of Evolution, humans evolved from creature that could synthesize vitamin C.

So how can survival of the fittest select for a defective gene over one that works, and wipe the "good" one out?

More likely that scientists don't know the full story. Perhaps there was some toll on processing vitamin C.

Anything scientists don't understand, they call "defective". Pure wanton ignorance.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 3:54pm On Dec 19, 2014
joseph1013:
- The breathing reflex is stimulated not directly by the absence of oxygen but rather indirectly by the presence of carbon dioxide. A result is that, at high altitudes, oxygen deprivation can occur in unadapted individuals who do not consciously increase their breathing rate. Oxygenless asphyxiation in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere has been proposed as a humane method of execution that exploits this "oversight".

Rubbish. The breathing reflex would persist in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere, where there is no carbon dioxide.

Carbon dioxide is toxic, so of course it triggers DEEPER breathing.

The response to high altitude is obviously a long term one (red cell blood count etc.). Nobody would adapt if the response were the short term solution of conscious breathing. What would you do when you sleep?

joseph1013:
- The human appendix is a vestigial organ with no known purpose. However, appendicitis, an infection of this useless organ, is a certain death without medical intervention.

Ancient error you are still regurgitating. They have since realized that the appendix is an important part of the immune system.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:49pm On Dec 19, 2014
sinequanon:

According to the Theory of Evolution, humans evolved from creature that could synthesize vitamin C.

So how can survival of the fittest select for a defective gene over one that works, and wipe the "good" one out?

More likely that scientists don't know the full story. Perhaps there was some toll on processing vitamin C.

Anything scientists don't understand, they call "defective". Pure wanton ignorance.

So, you've completely ignored my assignment. Should I score you zero?

Alright! Let's agree that you are the great human being who has been able to explain that evolution is wrong. So what is right?

Your 'spirits' that created us are intelligent?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.