Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? (5421 Views)

How To Influence The Interviewer To Your Favour / This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ / My Interviewer Got Shocked With The Way I Described Myslf When Ask To........... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by youngwolf(m): 2:42pm On Dec 18, 2014
Hello guys,

Recently I attended an interview where the interviewer asked me about my parents and what they do?, they also asked what my siblings do for a living.

Now I wonder what this question has to do with my ability to perform on the job or me being the best man for the job?...
Is it right for them to ask such questions?

1 Like

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by kowema(f): 2:49pm On Dec 18, 2014
Were u interviewing for a banking job?, Say Teller etc
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by chukaericnjoku(m): 2:52pm On Dec 18, 2014
I guess u're talking about access bank interview right... cos I attended their interview just recently and was asked same set of questions. lolzzz. it wasnt funny @all
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by youngwolf(m): 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
kowema:
Were u interviewing for a banking job?, Say Teller etc

It was a bank. But not a teller position
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by youngwolf(m): 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
chukaericnjoku:
I guess u're talking about access bank interview right... cos I attended their interview just recently and was asked same set of questions. lolzzz. it wasnt funny @all

It was not access bank
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by holatin(m): 3:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
oil and gas.

My mum sell groundnut oil
My dad sell palm oil

isn't dat oil and gas

2 Likes

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by byesense: 3:29pm On Dec 18, 2014
well, It depends on how you look at it. Some employers would ask because they would like to know how much responsibility you really bear. if a prospective employee is the only one working in the family, you can be sure eventually, he would be overwhelmed with financial commitments. The next thing is to ask for a raise in salary, or to scheme on how to defraud the company or depression may even set in and this would lead to reduced productivity. where this may not turn out to be the case, i guess employers would rather play safe....... My opinion

9 Likes

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Lero15(m): 3:46pm On Dec 18, 2014
byesense:
well, It depends on how you look at it. Some employers would ask because they would like to know how much responsibility you really bear. if a prospective employee is the only one working in the family, you can be sure eventually, he would be overwhelmed with financial commitments. The next thing is to ask for a raise in salary, or to scheme on how to defraud the company or depression may even set in and this would lead to reduced productivity. where this may not turn out to be the case, i guess employers would rather play safe....... My opinion
on point!
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by youngwolf(m): 3:53pm On Dec 18, 2014
byesense:

Good point u vr got there.
But don't you think dats unfair. It could be a wrong yardstick to select the right candidate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Lero15(m): 3:53pm On Dec 18, 2014
There was one interview thread I talked abt family background...some peeps almost crucified me angry

I have bn asked this twice

The interviewer wants to know ur position and level of responsibility in ur family..

Then abt your siblings...yes!
They want to know how well your brothers and sisters are doing.., ur parents' commitment to educating their children, your level of dependence, etc. Trust me, u wld not wanna lie.
But do not emphasize any ish in ur family ooo...

My 100 French Franc grin

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 18, 2014
They just want to have an ideal about your family background to see if you can be trusted for the job and the environment.
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by mafioso47(m): 4:04pm On Dec 18, 2014
Just be as truthful as possible. if Your parents are Retired, say so. If they run their own stuff and not under any paid employment, tell it.
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Jamean(f): 4:16pm On Dec 18, 2014
Seconded...

I was also asked recently, for same reasons. The interviewer actually gave a sigh of relief after my response.

But if I may say, so applicants with family responsibilities shouldn't be hired? Or is it not the earnings from the job that will help meet their needs? Someone just still have to bear the responsibilities anyway.

Lero15:
There was one interview thread I talked abt family background...some peeps almost crucified me angry

The interviewer wants to know ur position and level of responsibility in ur family..

They want to know how well your brothers and sisters are doing.., ur parents' commitment to educating their children, your level of dependence, etc. Trust me, u wld not wanna lie.

My 100 French Franc grin

3 Likes

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by dmjinc(m): 4:29pm On Dec 18, 2014
Lero15:

My 100 French Franc grin

U too much...take dix mille grin grin

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by dridowu: 5:13pm On Dec 18, 2014
i was asked same question at mactay consulting firm when i was posted there during nysc. i just tell them that my parent are into buying and selling meanwhile other siblings are schooling. chikena
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Lero15(m): 6:14pm On Dec 18, 2014
dmjinc:

U too much...take dix mille grin grin
wow...thanks, bro grin
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by gulfer: 7:30pm On Dec 18, 2014
Simple quetion and easy answer; 'my parents are retired and I need the job to fend for them'.
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Atk1nson(m): 7:48pm On Dec 18, 2014
youngwolf:
Hello guys,

Recently I attended an interview where the interviewer asked me about my parents and what they do?, they also asked what my siblings do for a living.

Now I wonder what this question has to do with my ability to perform on the job or me being the best man for the job?...
Is it right for them to ask such questions?

Youngwolf r u still in dis game? Until u get CBN job abi. Abeg leave d market for those who are still unemployed.
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by youngwolf(m): 9:05pm On Dec 18, 2014
Atk1nson:

Youngwolf r u still in dis game? Until u get CBN job abi. Abeg leave d market for those who are still unemployed.

This guy jus yab me sha. Lol
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Atk1nson(m): 7:14am On Dec 19, 2014
youngwolf:

This guy jus yab me sha. Lol
how I go yab my oga now? But as oga u suppose leave sumtins for d boiz now
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 19, 2014
I've reviewed my position please scroll down to here: https://www.nairaland.com/2050851/when-interviewer-asks-what-parents#29026573
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by realK: 9:03am On Dec 19, 2014
chukux2:
In my opinion this question doesn't carry much weight in terms of appraisal of your suitability for the job. It's like a trick question... just to test how you react and can keep your calm and sense in awkward situations because in real work life there will always be out of order situations you'd have to deal with satisfactorily using good initiative. Just remain composed and paint a good image of your folks such that whatever they do is positive and has a excellent effect molding you in the right to be capable of delivering.
I agree more with your view.

My advice is that you answer this question as honest as possible, and relate your answer to how this (good or bad) makes you more determined to excel citing what steps you have taken or you will take to ensure this continues to motivate you to perform.

2 Likes

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by LaurelP(m): 11:02am On Dec 19, 2014
They simply want to know the number of dependants you have. The belief is dat the more people u have depending on u for money, the more stress and distraction you'll have from ur job.
Although its irrelevant to the job itself, but some employers can ask such questions and its left for u to prove to them dat u won't be distracted.
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by perrychemical: 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
LaurelP:
They simply want to know the number of dependants you have. The belief is dat the more people u have depending on u for money, the more stress and distraction you'll have from ur job.
Although its irrelevant to the job itself, but some employers can ask such questions and its left for u to prove to them dat u won't be distracted.
ThIs question is unnesseary ,it is your own personal life. If I were you,I will tell them it is not connected to my official responbility . If they like,they should hold on to their job. I don't see reason why an employer should be intruding into their potential employer private life.
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Lero15(m): 2:43pm On Dec 19, 2014
perrychemical:
ThIs question is unnesseary ,it is your own personal life. If I were you,I will tell them it is not connected to my official responbility . If they like,they should hold on to their job. I don't see reason why an employer should be intruding into their potential employer private life.
Are u kidding me shocked shocked
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 19, 2014
Lero15:

Are u kidding me shocked shocked

You can tell them that if you are already a GT at Total and Halliburton calls you for an experienced role that pays less.

You can even form upset like the that was asked where he was from on one funny thread I read. cheesy
Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 19, 2014
realK:

I agree more with your view.

My advice is that you answer this question as honest as possible, and relate your answer to how this (good or bad) makes you more determined to excel citing what steps you have taken or you will take to ensure this continues to motivate you to perform.

[size=18pt]Update[/size]: After reading realK's comment above i know better. Trust me on this, I'm a very experienced interviwer and from my experiences you should "paint a good image of your folks such that whatever they do is positive and has an excellent effect molding you in the right to be capable of delivering."

The reason for the question is to know what influences you so as to know your possible character and suitability for the job. Your parents are your number one influence, and their job and manner they carry about it will determined how you were raised and if it has led you to be a productive member of society and thus suitable for the job.

1 Like

Re: When Interviewer Asks What Your Parents Do For A Living? by Lero15(m): 6:16pm On Dec 19, 2014
Scrypt:

You can tell them that if you are already a GT at Total and Halliburton calls you for an experienced role that pays less.

You can even form upset like the that was asked where he was from on one funny thread I read. cheesy
lol

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Check Pre-selection Status On N-power Portal / Schlumberger Invites For Pre-screening Test In Lagos / Custom Free Past Questions And Answer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.