Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) (22960 Views)

Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Paganism And Catholicism: Sun Worship Symbols / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by pweetyz(f): 8:38am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

Is this the intelligent reply you told me about?
Then I'm disappointedsad

I expected to see not less than two or more Biblical portions to backup this your assumptions but you've failed to do so....Which goes to show that The Catholic have been Doing The Thinking For Their God since 0.0BC.

I don't care if you call him Chief Peter,Professor Peter, Doctor Peter etc...But saint-izing him which makes him automatically become a demi-god capable of being worshipped is against Biblical injunctions.
Even in their life time,the apostles refused to be worshipped ( Acts 10:25-26 ; 14:13-14 ). The holy angels too refused to be worshipped ( Revelation
19:10 ; 22:9 ).
Why force title and worship on people who doesn't need it?...Isn't that bullying?

Is high time you guys start adopting the Bible as the only book that contains the tenets of Christendom.

Any other additions are against the authority of the Bible.

If Peter became a saint after his death...then
Pastor E.O.Okon of Apostolic Church should be a saint by now.

Lolz
i'm not exactly good at giving Bible quotations but that does not imply that i am wrong in any way

if you say that the bible is the only place where the tenets of christendom can be found then what happens to the revelations God makes to people..what happens to the instructions given by God to his faithful servants after the bible was written..should they be rendered void and untrue simply because they are not contained in the bible..

Peter being canonized does not in any way portray him as a demi-god that should be worshipped..it only attaches to him the honour that he fully deserves for living a holy life while on earth
saints are to be emulated not worshipped..
saints are people who lived righteous lives while on earth who made tremendous sacrifices for the lord and rendered various services to God
they are not in any way worshipped..children are taught about saints in order to correct their erring ways and make them see the beauty of serving the Lord

i'd advise you to get a book of saints from a nearby catholic church cos only then can you understand their purpose

they are only to he honoured..same way steven was made a matyr cos he died for his faith..thats the same way some saints are killed cos of their faith

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by herald9: 9:12am On Dec 21, 2014
italo:
You said the use of incense is pagan...

...without showing me where God said so.

Then I showed you where God himself uses incense in heaven.

The 24 elders each had a golden bowl full of incense. That is what the Bible says. Nowhere does it mention the word 'non-literal' as you are trying to force it to say.

If you don't accept that there's more meaning to that passage then I don't have anything again to say.
You can burn your candle,incense, anything burnable if you want to...It's a matter of personal conviction.

But the question I'm still asking is... Why do you burn this incense?

If it is to save as a catalyst to your prayers or to make your prayers more pleasing to God...this is where you fall into the trap of mysticism.Cause the Bible says we should approach God with confidence and full assurance of faith.

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by safarigirl(f): 9:34am On Dec 21, 2014
FrancisTony:
Okay! This is an excerpt from herald9's comment.
He made it on a thread, and I extracted the one that's relevant to the thread and answered, inorder not to derail. But, I decided to create this thread and explain the others for him.

https://www.nairaland.com/2047953/december25th-bible/1#28984621

Luke1:10- And the whole multitude of the people was praying outside at the hour of incense.

Exodus30: 34-37
34. And the LORD said to Moses: Take sweet spices, stacte and onycha and galbanum, and pure frankincese with these sweet spices; there shall be equal amounts of each.
35. "You shall make of these an incense, a compound according to the art of the perfumer, salted, pure and holy.
36 "And you shall beat some of it before the testimony in the tabernacle of meeting where I will meet with you. It shall be most holy to you.
37. "But as for the incense which you shall make, you shall not make any for yourselves, according to its composition. It shall be to you holy for the LORD.

So brother, tell me how this is a pagans tradition?. Only protestants who are not practising it, that should be accused from deviating away in what the Lord our God has told us to obey.

Proverb 15:8- The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
But the prayer of the uprights is His delight.

^^^it goes that show that the prayer of wicked ones isn't acceptable in the eyes of our LORD GOD. So, who would do that?

Number21:8-9
8. Then the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live.
9. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived.

Exodus25:17-20
17. "You shall make a mercy seat of pure gold; two and a half cubits shall be its length and a cubit and a half its width.
18. "And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work you shall make them at the two ends of the mercy seat.
19. "Make one cherub at one end, and the other cherub at the other end; you shall make the cherubim at the two ends of it of one piece with the mercy seat.
20. "And the cherubim shall stretch out their wings above, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and they shall face one another; the faces of the cherubim shall be toward the mercy seat.

Act19:11-12
11. Now God worked unusual miracles by the hands of Paul,
12 So that even handkerchiefs or aprons were brought from his body to the sick, and the diseases left them and the evil spirits went out of them.

Who adores cross? shocked You mean your Church? My Church doesn't.
Or could you clarify what you mean by it?

At underlined, really? grin Provide a biblical proof, biko? cheesy

At emboldened, Matthew5:17 Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets, I didn't come to destroy but to fufill. wink
Glory to Jesus,
Honour to Mary. smiley
that last post he made about Catholics following old 'barbaric' doctrines is laughable coming from a protestant.

The tithing that EVERY protestant church has made COMPULSORY is it not an 'old barbaric doctrine'? Is it then sensible to accuse the Catholic church- the most forward-thinking church of following barbaric doctrines?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Johnnoo(m): 9:34am On Dec 21, 2014
... casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (2Cor. 10:5)

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:35am On Dec 21, 2014
you lot are just hilarious........

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:36am On Dec 21, 2014
safarigirl:
that last post he made about Catholics following old 'barbaric' doctrines is laughable coming from a protestant.

The tithing that EVERY protestant church has made COMPULSORY is it not an 'old barbaric doctrine'? Is it then sensible to accuse the Catholic church- the most forward-thinking church of following barbaric doctrines?

really? undecided
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by LillyAnne(f): 9:39am On Dec 21, 2014
italo:

First of all, where did Jesus say that anything not recorded in the Bible shouldnt be done?

Where did he even mention Bible?

The Bible was compiled by the Catholic Church in 382 at the Synod of Rome under Pope Damasus. No?
Nobody wants to reply this one? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Emmalot121(m): 9:39am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

The story of Zechariah... hmmm
This happened before the formation of Christianity.

Remember Zechariah was from the old generation who were still practising Judaism.

After the formation of Christianity those doctrines were to be abandoned.

Incense is being used today among
pagans in worship and in procedures designed to
release power and invoke spells.
So if Budhism uses incense..Toasm uses incense...If we Christian uses it too...what will distinguish us from the them?
How will they know our God is different from theirs?
We should worship the Creator of the universe not the creation.

Since the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus the veil in the Holy Place have been removed...
So there's no need for candle burning.

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have
known God, or rather are known of God, how
turn ye again to the weak and beggarly
elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in
bondage?

number one

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Kelgabriel5(m): 9:45am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

Lolz... you intentionally dodged my questions cause you know there are hidden truths therein...

Why are you people always suppressing the truth in order to continually propagate a false doctrine?

I clearly stated that the incense in the bowl is not to be taken literally...

It represented 'The prayers of the saints' (believers).

Just check out the the functions of incense burning in the olden days and you'll see why it's not still important in this new covenant age.

#peace
the lord does not change abi, so why should we change worshiping formular .I dnt get all dis 'mr & mrs churches'.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by yomalex(m): 9:46am On Dec 21, 2014
All these arguments are caused by mistaking Simon Peter( the disciple) for Simon Magus(the sorcerer who wanted to buy the holy spirit).
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by saymalcolm(m): 9:50am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

Lolz... Ours is very different...

We don't sit on the floor...
We don't preach (or whatever they do) in Arabic or Hebrews... It's purely English.
We don't sing that their funny songs...etc.

Meanwhile in Catholic... You recite a 30min or 1 hour incantations. (Just like the Buddhist are doing )

You wear white robes and coloured turbans,Just like the ones I used to see in Naija occultic movies...

You have portraits of St Mary...St.Peter...St.Simon St lSamson etc all over the places (Just like you'll find that of Buddha's in a Buddhist temple )

You said your prayers while fiddling with the rosary...

Let me stop here...

Now whose doctrines looks more occultic here?

Hope you understand that the language of christianity is not even English. Jesus brought the gospel to men in Aramaic and as a result of the spread of the gospel, it was translated. Your argument based on language is moot.

3 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by major466(m): 9:53am On Dec 21, 2014
**Following**
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by herald9: 9:53am On Dec 21, 2014
italo:

First of all, where did Jesus say that anything not recorded in the Bible shouldnt be done?

Where did he even mention Bible?

The Bible was compiled by the Catholic Church in 382 at the Synod of Rome under Pope Damasus. No?

Lolz... don't try to play on our intelligence...

The Bible is just a compilation of Scriptures written by Men of God in the olden days...And also a recording of the acts of apostles... words of wisdom and guidance.

So even if it was compiled by the Catholic church... It doesn't give them the right to tamper with whatsoever is written therein as it was inspired of the holy spirit.

Mind you...The Bible is just a modern name for the 'The Scriptures' which Jesus repeatedly used throughout his stay on earth.undecided

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Kelgabriel5(m): 9:55am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

If you don't accept that there's more meaning to that passage then I don't have anything again to say.
You can burn your candle,incense, anything burnable if you want to...It's a matter of personal conviction.

If it is to save as a catalyst to your prayers or to make your prayers more pleasing to God...this is where you fall into the trap of mysticism.Cause the Bible says we should approach God with confidence and full assurance of faith.

why do u pray,why do u sing wen prayn,insence is a divine mixture containing myrrh, d same myrrh given to Jesus as a child.it is a purifyin smoke which only God can answer why its pleasin 2 him,b careful wit wat u are sayin abeg
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by herald9: 9:58am On Dec 21, 2014
safarigirl:

Most forward thinking?..

I laugh in Safarigrin

2 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Aikon: 9:58am On Dec 21, 2014
Where is uboma?
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by uduokirika1(m): 10:01am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

Are u aware d catholic church compiled d Bible as a single book today! Do you know d process of its compilation? D church (catholic) had existed close to a thousand years before d bible. What was in place then were series of scriptures and books. So many of these books didn't make it into d bible. Most of d catholic practices u criticise preceeded d bible. My question if u accepted d Bible compiled by d Catholic church as an authority and a divine book how come u turn around calling them occultic? Are u insinuating dat d Bible itself which is a product of Catholicsm is occultic too?

6 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Emyben(m): 10:01am On Dec 21, 2014
italo:

Rev5:8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Incense is used in heaven. Is heaven also pagan?

Give up!

Correct Response
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Truman155(m): 10:03am On Dec 21, 2014
Men can do anytin 4 relegion .....kill for it, fight for it.... Anything but live for it

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by CMARY(m): 10:03am On Dec 21, 2014
Youngsage:

i didn't ask you anything about the bolded.

Did Jesus Christ ask you to pray with the rosary always, or did He or any of his disciples pray with it? Yes or No? Present your Biblical backings.

So, your 'virgin mary' visited three children,gave them your rosary and told them to pray 'Hail Mary?! Hilarious! grin grin

What gospel was that visit recorded?

Another story you have been made to believe. *sighs*

Who is Fatima anyway?

I wonder if you reason with Luke 1vs28 the Hail Mary word of God spoken directly by God to Mary through the Angel. With this word Mary became pregnant without knowing any man. LK 1VS42 Of all women you are the most blessed and blessed is the fruit of your womb. This was a statement made by Elizabeth to Mary under the deep influence of the Holy Spirit. If one has the true and authentic spirit of God one will not be afraid to repeat the word the Angel said to Mary or repeat the words which the Holy Spirit said through Mary. Modified: How come you think if i Say to Mary Holy Mary it is out of place? When Lk1vs48 says that all generations shall call her blessed. She needs to be Holy to merit this title Blessed. And for her to give birth to our spotless saviour Jesus she needs to be spotless that's why she is full of grace and the Immaculate conception. Jesus is God check John 20vs28, philipians 2vs6, Is7vs14, is9vs6 etc. It clearly says that Jesus is God. So Mary the mother of Jesus is the mother me God. Let me ask you again, what is wrong in telling Mary to pray for me or for us? Ok go to 1thes 5vs25 and see where St paul says Brethren Pray for us? MARY IS STRONGER THAN BRETHREN. So you can say Mary pray for us. Go to 1tim2vs1 St paul desired that supplication, intercession be made for all men. Go there and see for yourself. So what is wrong if i ask Mary to intercede for me? You can also go to Jeremiah 42vs 2 and see people praying in a similar fashion to Jeremiah like we pray to Mary. So my brother what is wrong if i say Mary pray for us?

8 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by herald9: 10:04am On Dec 21, 2014
Kelgabriel5:
why do u pray,why do u sing wen prayn,insence is a divine mixture containing myrrh, d same myrrh given to Jesus as a child.it is a purifyin smoke which only God can answer why its pleasin 2 him,b careful wit wat u are sayin abeg

I pray cause Jesus prayed ...I sing cause the disciples sang....and they are all recorded in the Bible.
But Jesus didn't use incense while praying...neither his disciples... So if you can't answer my questions... just read along and get wisdom wink

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Emyben(m): 10:06am On Dec 21, 2014
Youngsage:

okayy...
So on whose authority or command do you 'pray rosary'? God, or The Roman Catholic Church? And 'Hail Mary'? Also in the bible?

On whose authority do you paste the stickers of your Daddy Overseer on your cars, homes, offices etc to the point of adoring him? God or your Pastors?

2 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 21, 2014
I so much love the Catholic Church, every practice has its root from the bible. ... I had so much doubts about some practices but a seminarian cleared them all...

Yeah, I'm a staunch Catholic, I will remain a Catholic and I will die a Catholic , so help me God.. AMEN smiley smiley smiley

Finally, may God continue to direct our Holy father, may He give him the wisdom to lead us through the right path so that Catholic Church will keep growing from strength to strength and after our journey on earth, may we be rewarded with eternal life in Heaven, AMEN...

5 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by safarigirl(f): 10:10am On Dec 21, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

really? undecided
lol....in my opinion. I do have a couple of issues with their doctrines, but it's none of what herald9 raised

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

The story of Zechariah... hmmm
This happened before the formation of Christianity.

Remember Zechariah was from the old generation who were still practising Judaism.

After the formation of Christianity those doctrines were to be abandoned.

Incense is being used today among
pagans in worship and in procedures designed to
release power and invoke spells.
So if Budhism uses incense..Toasm uses incense...If we Christian uses it too...what will distinguish us from the them?
How will they know our God is different from theirs?
We should worship the Creator of the universe not the creation.

Since the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus the veil in the Holy Place have been removed...
So there's no need for candle burning.

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have
known God, or rather are known of God, how
turn ye again to the weak and beggarly
elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in
bondage?

number one

At the emboldened is where you, like many others show you do not understand religion in relation to humanity.

There is only one God served through different channels.

The difference in these channels is that different belief system evolved along cultural lines which include the history in the manual (supposed Holy Book), language, dramatist personae in the manuals, style of dressing etc

Judaism - Jews, Christianity - Europeans, Bhuddism - Asians, Isese - Yoruba, Islam - Arab, Egyptians had theirs, Romans had theirs, Greeks had theirs and the AmerIndian had theirs too etc.

As a result, no religion has a special God but they have special ways of reaching one God and no belief is superior nor guarantees spiritual safety or heaven/hell.

Religion, other than filling man's hunger to connect with the creator of him and his environment, also serves as a tool to create and sustain a sain society.

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:13am On Dec 21, 2014
safarigirl:
lol....in my opinion. I do have a couple of issues with their doctrines, but it's none of what herald9 raised

Lol OK....me.....everything about erm doesn't gel with me....well..... I believe one of the greatest gift God gave to Man is FREEWILL... so whatever rocks your boat..... *swallows Malaria pills and squeezes face*...damn I hate drugs!!!
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by herald9: 10:14am On Dec 21, 2014
saymalcolm:

Hope you understand that the language of christianity is not even English. Jesus brought the gospel to men in Aramaic and as a result of the spread of the gospel, it was translated. Your argument based on language is moot.

Neither is the language of Christianity Latin

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by sparta(f): 10:14am On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

Is this the intelligent reply you told me about?
Then I'm disappointedsad

I expected to see not less than two or more Biblical portions to backup this your assumptions but you've failed to do so....Which goes to show that The Catholic have been Doing The Thinking For Their God since 0.0BC.

I don't care if you call him Chief Peter,Professor Peter, Doctor Peter etc...But saint-izing him which makes him automatically become a demi-god capable of being worshipped is against Biblical injunctions.
Even in their life time,the apostles refused to be worshipped ( Acts 10:25-26 ; 14:13-14 ). The holy angels too refused to be worshipped ( Revelation
19:10 ; 22:9 ).
Why force title and worship on people who doesn't need it?...Isn't that bullying?

Is high time you guys start adopting the Bible as the only book that contains the tenets of Christendom.

Any other additions are against the authority of the Bible.

If Peter became a saint after his death...then
Pastor E.O.Okon of Apostolic Church should be a saint by now.

Lolz
or pastor jemigbon or late kenneth Hagin or Benson idahosa. Hahahaha. Enjoying your discussion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by soludo93(m): 10:14am On Dec 21, 2014
italo:

Rev5:8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Give up!

You misconstrued the meaning of the scriptures. It follows that the incense John saw represents the prayers of the saints (saints are living believers not dead people who served God when they were alive). It wasn't an incense they burnt on earth was represented in heaven.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by tola9ja: 10:16am On Dec 21, 2014
the act of dogmatism

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by soludo93(m): 10:16am On Dec 21, 2014
italo:

Give up!
grin
You misconstrued the meaning of the scriptures. It follows that the incense John saw represents the prayers of the saints (saints are living believers not dead people who served God when they were alive). It wasn't an incense they burnt on earth was represented in heaven.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mike Bamiloye: Many Ladies Move Around With Packaged Beauty / Pastor Sarah Omakwu Appeals To Buhari To Stop Killings In Nigeria (Photos) / Deeper Life Bible Church: Why Avoid Us?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.